I have been trying for a few days to script a helicopter to come in, land and then for the ai to board, then have the heli take off.  I have tried watching videos and even tried searching, there was a redit post where someone provided an example but that file is no longer available and they did not go into details on how it was done.

I made a helicopter, put it into the air, set a load waypoint, then created a ai fireteam group and set a waypoint for "get in"  I then linked the "get in" waypoint activation to "load".  What hapens is the helicopter says in the air, and on top of that the ai immediately heads for the get in waypoint.  I thought that the waypoint for "get in" would only become active once "load" was true.  I have also experimented with adding a "land" waypoint followed by the load, nothing is working, the ai moves to the position and does nothing.

How can I make a simple scenario such that the helicopter flys in, lands waits for the ai to board, then takes off?

[solved]I have two working solutions, for anyone reading this who is also having this problem, see my responses below.[/solved]

Edited by knackwurstbagel
solved

Try adding a land waypoint just before the load waypoint it needs to be right next to it..

Land waypoint is in the advanced option.

I just tested it and it works fine here, are you using a heli pad?

If you don't the chopper may be too far away from the load point.

Example

https://www.sendspace.com/file/r8s80s

• Like 1

As f2ksel wrote, a simple move waypoint (preferably on an empty helipad) with: vehicle this land "get in"; in its expression field ("get in" in 2 words), close to your load waypoint will do the trick.

Usually you need also to change the behavior or the helo, if under enemy fire.

I didn't test the "advanced waypoint" "land"... (no need)

In the post linked below is the best video tutorial I found for making fool-proof extractions:

Big thank you to everyone who has responded with solutions examples and tutorials on how I can solve this problem, I will  be trying each of these and responding later today with an update.  Very rosy that I have not responded sooner as I got busy planning for a upcoming move.

Here is the update.  I am now able to get the AI to board the helicopter and I feel like an idiot because the helicopter I was trying to get them to board was a AH-9 Pawnee :) lol so there was no room for them to board

What worked was a combination of adding the helipad, where I did not have one, making the land and load waypoints next to each other, and choosing a helicopter that actually had space, uh-80 ghost hawk in my case.

That example file from f2k sel was worth gold for me because it was from experimenting with this file that I learned my errors.

I also leaned the land waypoint is not necessary, and I am going to experiment with pierremgi and johnnyboy's suggestions, I had tried those briefly without luck but I might not have been doing it right. 

Anyway I am very grateful to have found a working solution and learned some things, thank you to everyone who helped.

• Like 2

I guess you'll discover some differences... Any land/take off for stationary/land again for troups, with the land waypoint?

• Like 1

Hello pierremgi, I am confused about your latest post as to what you mean.  I noted that in your original reply that you suggested using a simple move waypoint and adding the code to the expression field, which makes sense as I could see using move waypoints and adjusting their condition and activation expression fields to suit the tastes of the task at hand.  I am still in the process of experimenting with the various options.  I have read over the pinned post on scripting for beginners (cant remember the title) and I have been watching various videos as well as browsing through the arma wiki.  Thank you for your help with this.

For the close waypoint prior to load one:

- Simple move waypoint + completion (expression) code: vehicle this land "GET IN";  >> the helo will wait near to the ground, engine on even if the boarding units are rather far.

- Land waypoint >> the helo will land, then take off and hover as dumb ass waiting for the troup then land to pick up them and take off again.

Using that method, I placed the move waypoint and the expression to the completion, the helicopter lands and waits but the ai refuses to do anything other than wait around the helipad.  I set a get in waypoint for them and linked that to the move waypoint from the helicopter with set waypoint activation.  This would be a much cleaner solution if I can get it to work, I am very new to arma 3 and its scripting language.  Do you have any idea why the ai would not get in, or do they need a move waypoint as well , and should i link it to anything.

Don't link to the move waypoint but the load one. The move waypoint if for landing helo engine on (use land "land" instead of land "get in" if you want it to stop engines), GETIN (units) and LOAD (helo)  waypoints must be linked.

Thank you, I got it working now, when i was troubleshooting I had started from scratch at some point and got the load and move waypoints in the wrong order, plus I was linking wrong as you pointed out.  So everything is sorted out and now I have two methods of loading troops onto a heli.