Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Greetings dear Arma 3 community!

I'm looking for a good CPU for Arma 3 and I was thinking about getting the i5 7500...

 

*****! My money won't allow me to buy that expensive CPU. Very very sad...

So, maybe I'll just need to buy a cheaper one, maybe a very good i3? :)

What do you think? i3 7100, i3 7300 or is it going to be i5 7400 if I can steal some money from the K-Market (just a joke) ?

This is also my very first PC that I've build myself.

I'm desperate...

I will buy the ASUS nVidia GTX 1050 ti 2GB Expedition graphics card.

 

Is i3 7300 better than the i3 7300? Please help me.

 

Thanks in advance! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When it comes to CPUs for Arma you should get the best you can afford since Arma is a CPU heavy game.

 

That said your local CPU is just half the battle and the sever matter just as much. However, I would personally go for a i5 or i7 quad core with the fasted core clock speed I could afford (its the turbo clock that matters). The core clock being the most important part for Arma fps. An i3 is too low for other games that uses more cores effectively and its not future proofing your PC so you are better of saving a bit for an i5 at least.

 

Why not AMD? Because AMD in my view seem to have more issues in Arma and provides lower performance at this point in time compared to Intel. For other games it a bit back and forth, but Arma wise. Intel is King.

 

While this is something you dont want to hear. The best CPU and the only one I would consider TODAY if I was to upgrade. is the Intel i7-7700K (Kaby Lake). You might be better off saving a bit for the high tier CPUs if Arma gaming is your target for your first PC build.

 

Since I already have a i7- 4400K I am not interested in upgraded yet, but Intel Coffee Lake is coming out in 2018 which is rumored to have some performance gain, compared to what I have, to the point it might be worth it. 2018 is also rumored to have an AMD processor that might actually compete with the high end Intel ones because Intel CPU gains in performance between generations has been slowing down because of the lack of competition in that market. Time will tell though.

 

My2cent

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JojoTheSlayer said:

When it comes to CPUs for Arma you should get the best you can afford since Arma is a CPU heavy game.

 

That said your local CPU is just half the battle and the sever matter just as much. However, I would personally go for a i5 or i7 quad core with the fasted core clock speed I could afford (its the turbo clock that matters). The core clock being the most important part for Arma fps. An i3 is too low for other games that uses more cores effectively and its not future proofing your PC so you are better of saving a bit for an i5 at least.

 

Why not AMD? Because AMD in my view seem to have more issues in Arma and provides lower performance at this point in time compared to Intel. For other games it a bit back and forth, but Arma wise. Intel is King.

 

While this is something you dont want to hear. The best CPU and the only one I would consider TODAY if I was to upgrade. is the Intel i7-7700K (Kaby Lake). You might be better off saving a bit for the high tier CPUs if Arma gaming is your target for your first PC build.

 

Since I already have a i7- 4400K I am not interested in upgraded yet, but Intel Coffee Lake is coming out in 2018 which is rumored to have some performance gain, compared to what I have, to the point it might be worth it. 2018 is also rumored to have an AMD processor that might actually compete with the high end Intel ones because Intel CPU gains in performance between generations has been slowing down because of the lack of competition in that market. Time will tell though.

 

My2cent

 

Thanks for the respond!

I appreciate your knowledge but i3 is good enough for Arma 3:) I've seen so many benchmarks and i5s are very good too, over 40 fps on high-very high is possible.

I don't want to save a year and I need a new computer now so it's i5 or i3, later about one or two years later, I will save money for an i7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No matter what CPU you get, make sure you're getting the overclockable version of it, a matching cooler and overclock it.

Took 1-2 hours after I built my rig to overclock the 4770k to 4.6ghz stable under load. Given a base clock of 3.5ghz that's a 30%+ increase.

 

Cheers

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy the fastest Intel CPU you can afford starting with the i7-7700K, then followed by i5-7600K and down... get one that clocks as close to 5 GHZ as possible. If you cannot afford those cpu, I think an I5-4690K would be a good choice.

 

Or maybe even a Dual Core I3 that clocks super high like over 4.6 GHZ. But every other game will start to slow down as many games other than ARMA 3 uses 4--8 cores now.

 

The reason is not that AMD cpus are bad, but ARMA is coded fairly single thread for the AI and Intel cpu clocks higher, even though the new AMD cpus are nearly IPC equilvalent with fast ram.

 

So in a MP game, either Intel or AMD cpu would be good so long as the AI runs on the server. If you are playing SP or COOP hosting the AI, get the Intel CPU. It makes a big difference.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can go for the Pentium G4560 at first and then later upgrade to something like K version of i5/i7. It's 3,5GHz dual core with hyper threading so basically i3 with low price tag 60-70€.

Those i3 CPUs are money waste now. Buy good motherboard, RAM and 4 thread Pentium. Then later when you've money to buy K version i5 or i7, sell the Pentium and replace it. You really want the K version at some point.

 

I wonder if your budget could afford 4 core Ryzen, was it 1400? That's other way to have a good platform for future upgrades/needs for your budget. Just get good overclockable motherboard and if you can afford, some FlareX RAM or other that could hit that 3200MHz.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While much of what has been posted previously is correct, not all quite address the "inexpensive aspect" of it. I currently run Arma on an i5 3570K (non overclocked). I purchased it when Arma3 released in 2013 and its still running strong. While an i7 will outperform an i5, there is absolutely no reason to spend that much if you're on a limited budget. 

Edited by FallujahMedic -FM-
typo
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably the best cheap option is to see if someone is selling something like a Ivy Bridge or Haswell i5  processor that is overclockable and get an older second hand platform. This will allow you to save a bunch of cash and still get a decent i5/i7 that you can overclock and get decent performance.

 

All the tests I have seen shown 4 cores is the sweet spot. The game is mostly single threaded but the parallel parts really matter as well so you can't just get a dual core and get great performance. Look into those second hand options and you might find a deal you can live with price wise that gets you a better CPU. Arma isn't easy to run, its going to struggle on a 1050 ti as well, simulation games in general hammer a lot of things.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, brightcandle said:

Probably the best cheap option is to see if someone is selling something like a Ivy Bridge or Haswell i5  processor that is overclockable and get an older second hand platform. This will allow you to save a bunch of cash and still get a decent i5/i7 that you can overclock and get decent performance.

 

All the tests I have seen shown 4 cores is the sweet spot. The game is mostly single threaded but the parallel parts really matter as well so you can't just get a dual core and get great performance. Look into those second hand options and you might find a deal you can live with price wise that gets you a better CPU. Arma isn't easy to run, its going to struggle on a 1050 ti as well, simulation games in general hammer a lot of things.

Yeah get a second-hand i5-3570k ($80), a z77 mobo ($90) and 8GB of fast (1833+) DDR3 ($50). Then overclock the nuts off her. She'll do 4.0 GHz no sweat, 4.2 easy, 4.3 prolly, 4.4 maybe and 4.5 if you're lucky and/or willing to invest in a decent ($30+) HSF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, domokun said:

Yeah get a second-hand i5-3570k ($80), a z77 mobo ($90) and 8GB of fast (1833+) DDR3 ($50). Then overclock the nuts off her. She'll do 4.0 GHz no sweat, 4.2 easy, 4.3 prolly, 4.4 maybe and 4.5 if you're lucky and/or willing to invest in a decent ($30+) HSF.

Fire Extinguisher... :eh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chrisb said:

Fire Extinguisher... :eh:

Not all.

Even with ambient temps sky-rocketing (29°C last night!), my 3570k@4.5 barely breaks 70°C under load.

In spring, autumn & winter, she's usually hovering around 60°C under load.

That's with a €45 HSF (Scythe Mugen 4).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK I've got a little update! I'm getting the i5 7500 and I decided to not buy a new GPU and I will use my one and a half year old MSI GTX 750 ti OC. Thanks for help guys! Kalle signing off!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/6/2017 at 4:58 PM, Grumpy Old Man said:

No matter what CPU you get, make sure you're getting the overclockable version of it, a matching cooler and overclock it.

Took 1-2 hours after I built my rig to overclock the 4770k to 4.6ghz stable under load. Given a base clock of 3.5ghz that's a 30%+ increase.

 

Cheers

Any good tutorial to overclock the CPU?

 

I have a i5 2500k 3.3Ghz. I would like to overclock it to improve performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arma doesn't seem to make good use of multiple cores at all. So going for a faster chip with fewer cores is the way. Basically a dual core skylake or kaby lake. Overclocking is definitely a possibility. i3 should be fine. Just make sure your mobo supports overclocking non-K chips and you have a good cooler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, esfumato said:

Any good tutorial to overclock the CPU?

Plenty of stuff on google, you can even get mainboard specific overclocking guides.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, esfumato said:

Any good tutorial to overclock the CPU?

 

I have a i5 2500k 3.3Ghz. I would like to overclock it to improve performance.

What kind of cooler and motherboard you have? Motherboard also matters a lot in overclocking.

My 2600K runs something like 1,45V at 4,7GHz. With worse motherboard I couldn't get over 4,5GHz and achieving that took long time. 4,4GHz is likely easy to achieve with any Sandy Bridge. Best way to see if your overclock is stable is actually just play some games and run basic everyday programs. For me Warthunder has shown faster unstable overclock than any of those torture programs like Prime95 and IntelBurn. Those programs are good to see the max volts and heat quickly but for me if the heat is enough low for me in gaming it's good.

 

Google is your best friend. Try to find tutorials for your motherboard. Remember that every result is unique. For example I need to push more volts than many other people that have shared their results. Though I use CL9 2133MHz memory so that can also be a reason for higher volts.

Be prepared for a lot of restarts. It takes time to overclock and then fine tune it. For first time it can take weeks or even months until you understand everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overclocking crash course. Find out what the max safe temp for your CPU is and make sure you don't come too near it, peaking 10-20 degrees under would be a good margin. Use your OC tool/mobo settings to increase the frequency while running a stress test. See what the temps are and make sure you don't get any errors. If you start getting errors but your temps are fine, you can increase the voltage a bit. It'll run hotter but should be more stable. Remember the RAM typically will be overclocked too. High end RAM with fancy cooling is mainly aimed at overclockers. Also beware that overclocking will increase power consumption. Sometimes dramatically. High wattage PSU's are typically for overclockers as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're focused on games and Arma in particular:

1080p = i5-7600k OC to 4.3-4.6 + GTX 1060 6 GB

1440p = i7-7700k OC to 4.7-4.9 + GTX 1070

 

But if you're focused on content-creation:

1080p = Ryzen 5 1600 OC to 3.9 + GTX 1060 6 GB

1440p = Ryzen 7 1700X OC to 3.9 + GTX 1070

Source : http://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/arma-3-test-gpu-cpu

 

In both cases, 8GB DDR4 is required, ideally 2666 MHz or higher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I play in a clan which play Military Simulation, coop missions. I have an AMD processor and could not bring FPS over 25-30. Despite the cooler I checked and saw the temperature going 'till 80 degrees!!


I didn't make research specifically for arma 3. For the other games the pc works well but not for arma, and now I am considering buying an i7-7700K and throw away all the issues caused by the AMD processor.

 

The graphics works well! I have an nvidia 1060 6 GB, even if I put all the settings to low and the visual distance to 500 meters FPS don't increase, maybe just 3-4 but not more!

 

ArmA is hungry with CPU so the best I could afford I'll buy it. I want my games to run smooth at anytime, even when things goes hot, explosions and bullet everywhere.. The CPU need to do a lot of calculation so the best it is... the best the game will work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×