badfish2k

Terrain Processor task heightmap stucks

I am trying out the Terrain Processor Tutorial but I have problems to succeed the Heightmap step. I downloaded the corresponding heightmap "n50_e014_1arc_v3.dt2" from  http://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/. Then I reprojected it with QGIS (Raster > Projections > Warp (Reproject)) to "tut3.tif". And later I converted it to ASC (Raster > Conversion > Translate (Convert Format)) to "tut3.asc". Now I am trying to process the heigtmap with the Terrain Processor and the "HeightmapGeneration.tpp" project. I have waited over an hour but the Terrain Processor did not finish the task. So I really need help with this. How can I process a heightmap from earthexplorer with QGIS (or an other tool) to Arma 3? I uploaded all files to Dropbox. Thank you for your help.

Hey badfish!  I also got my data elevation heightmap from this website, so hopefully I can help you.

If I recall correctly, the primary step for compliance with the arma3 tools should be first:

• Import the .dt2 directly into TERRAIN BUILDER
  • Then, export the terrain heightmap from TERRAIN BUILDER to an .asc

This should create an .asc file with the correct coordinates in UTM, which then neglects the need to convert/warp your heightmap ever again.

To check, you can open up the .asc file with windows Notepad (or any .txt reader) and the first lines should give you the x,y coord and cell size.  THESE values are what is important for terrain processor.  You can use QGIS to test and confirm the location of your .asc before using any of Terrain Processor module tools.  

Terrain Processor is a great tool once all of your inputs are compliant with each other (but for that reason it is very frustrating to diagnose the problem.)

Hey Pooface, Thank you for your fast reply. This is awesome! I don't need the Terrain Processor for this. But I can use the Processor with the new asc-file (generated from Terran Builder) for precessing vector data (roads, trees, ...) from OpenStreetMap?

Yes, it ought to work this way.  Make sure when you are setting your variables in Terrain Processor that everything looks compliant and correct.  Only then should you run your modules and pray...

It is working very well with importing the asc file to Terrain Builder and exporting it then. Sometimes the Terrain Builder process is not responding while importing. But after a minute or so everything is there. Awesome! But I have a question about the best options for the Terrain Sampler of the Terrain Builder. I am using a Grid size of 1024 x 1024, a cell size of 4 and the Terrain size is then 4096. I found this options in the tutorial so I used it. What do these options actually mean? And are the tutorial options the best ones for this and for each map imported from earthexplorer? By the way I found a very good alternative for earthexplorer: OpenTopo. It is much more user friendly. Can I use the same Terrain Sampler options for earthexplorer and OpenTopo? Thank you so much.

That is a great tutorial, thank you. I think I understand the grid now ;)