fn_Quiksilver

Star Wars mod, what is going on?

26 minutes ago, blow56 said:

The thing to do - to get respect from the community you purport to be working for - is to say: 'well done. Nice job. Some of that work is mine, but rather than fuck off all those who want to play it I endorse it.'

What nice job? They didn't do anything but take work that we've done (in a hypothetical sense),  mashed it up with some other addon and then re uploaded to steam, there's no work involved in that, you clearly have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and are making yourself look like a fool.

• Like 5

The thing to do - to get respect from the community you purport to be working for - is to say: 'well done. Nice job. Some of that work is mine, but rather than fuck off all those who want to play it I endorse it.'

How about an alternate take on that?

The thing to do, to get respect from the modding community you purport to be a member of, is to say , "I respect your right to determine how your own work is dealt with, rather than hassle you and ignore your polite requests. Regardless of your reasons".

Modders don't work for anyone. They're not here to provide a service. I don't know where you and others have gotten that impression. It's not even close to being accurate.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, blow56 said:

BTW - I am a writer. I know copyright and I know how it feels to have people take your work and use it without permission. I am betting sure that everyone above has, at one time or another, downloaded music or books or movies for free. Once I ranted and roared about the amount of my books being ripped off on dl-for-free websites, about all those people who ask for signed copies only to stick them for sale on eBay. But you know what? Makes no difference. All you get is the rep for being a greedy, corporate sell-out bastard. Now I look at what they do as a library; people see what's on offer and maybe read one - then look for my name and the other work I do. I treat it as marketing mate, as should you and all your friends.

got any more info on your books and stuff? i smell bullshit. your work can't be that great and can't contain that much passion, if you give that few shits about it and bring it up as an example why others should give fewer shits about their own passion projects. "accomplished writer goes on video game forum to advocate more loose attitude about sharing IP"...sounds like straight from a fictional book :don9:

you're asking the wrong people to change. all most modders ask for is credits. like literally one line of text. people fail at providing such a tiny gesture and yet you want to tell the original authors to make it right by doing more?

o........k

these human gestures might look meaningless to an entitled person that only consumes and doesn't give a shit about where stuff comes from, but that kind of stuff is what happens behind the scenes where people share knowledge, solve eachother's problems and stuff to make this all happen.

i've said it many times before. for some reason giving out something for free makes it lose all value to some people. because they can't wrap their pea brains about the concept of value without money.

BTW: you'd actually be surprised how many people would gladly share their work for other projects, if people would just simply ask and approach them like a real social human and give the impression that they aren't lazy remixers you'll never hear from again that only want to impress their friends with a giant repack of existing stuff with a bunch of added errors spamming the logs.

it actually already happens a lot. you jsut don't know about it because you don't give a shit.

• Like 12

The hard fact is - someone made a Star Wars mod everyone likes and wants. It may or may not include mods or bits of mods from someone else who bottled out of using it and allegedly and, anonymously, wishes to stop people getting the new mod.

Let me make it clear. You may fool yourself, though why you would bother is beyond me, but the fact is that, if you make a mod and put it out for others to use, then you are not simply 'doing it for yourself'. If that was so we'd never hear of it. You'd sit and turn it over and over in your own fingers and congratulate yourself on a job well done. But you don't. You put it out for others to admire. If you try and tell me you then have no connection to it, no service to the community - then why all the angst about claiming copyright etc etc?

You really need to get over yourselves. Either keep the work for your own delight in a sort of modder masturbation, or do what you probably intended all along - put it out there to be used and admired. But if you do that you can hardly let it go, claim you have no obligation to it, leave it unimproved or updated and if, as you seem to be trying to tell me, you do not work for the community, so provide no service - why all the angst about legal right? If you don't care, then - don't care.

No-one, I repeat NO-ONE owes you a damned thing for the free work you have done. You have almost certainly, at some time in your life, illegally downloaded a pirate-something and thought yourself all hard-done-by when the site got shut - and that's the work of people using it to earn a living. Don't get all holy with me here, please. It will not wash.

Its dog in the manger. The attitude that you will prevent everyone in the community from having their fun because you aren't being admired or respected enough can only end in you being rightly villified for it. And if you throw your hands in the air and stamp off in a hissy fit, you do yourself even less of a favour.

And Mr Benson - that intro is just playground stuff. Really? That's your best, most considered response?

Edited by blow56
correction

On 2017-6-15 at 8:37 AM, BohemiaBeck said:

ok, time for all sides to stop with the back and forth of anything that is not directly on topic to the thread or it will be locked and possibly removed.

Received quite a few reports on this thread from all sides.

You do not need to one up the other guy and get back at him. If it is not directly on topic, just stop please.

Thank you.

I think BohemiaBeck was very polite when he posted this. 

I hope this will serve as a reminder for those who missed it when it was initially posted. 

It would also be a good idea to check the toxic language at the door. 

• Like 1

It doesn't matter why someone is protective of what they do. The problem, is the complete disregard in which that's held. I think the average modder would be happy with some common decency in return for putting the stuff out there.

There are zero requirements when a modder does release stuff. Other than what they take upon themselves. As you so blatantly said, you are not owed a damn thing. It works both ways.

The attitude that you will prevent everyone in the community from having their fun because you aren't being admired or respected enough can only end in you being rightly villified for it. And if you throw your hands in the air and stamp off in a hissy fit, you do yourself even less of a favour.

How difficult would it be for them to remove a few files and move on? For them,and you to get ,as you put it, over yourselves? Aren't they simply being stubborn? And vilified by who exactly? The same people who hold you in such low regard in the first place? How would that be a loss? How would it be any different than what's happening to people now?

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about if you think "not releasing anything" constitutes quitting modding. It really doesn't work like that.

• Like 2

In anycase regardless of who filed the DMCA in the workshop for SW opposition in the end it didn't accomplish anything as it is on VK. people will still download and use SW opposition we can sit here arguing about it or we can all just move on with our lives 

3 hours ago, blow56 said:

You people still amaze me with this bs. All I hear is - this is my propertyy, legally and completely. So I am not going to let anyone use it even if I am not. My ball, my game.

yes, that is precisely what you have been told: my ball, my game.

And the point about piggybacking is to show that, if Bohemia got antsy, they could shut down every Arma 3 modder in the business with the same bs. They don't because its good marketing for them (see below).

You should really read that EULA they have before posting stupid things. They could shut down modding in general, true, but from a business perspective - yes, gaming industry is a business, modding isn't. it would make little sense: they life span of their products is in a good measure due to 3rd party content = modding, besides their continuous support

Why do you MAKE mods? Not for the money, so presumably it is for the praise, for the 'look at my wonders and marvel, o ye mighty'.

Cannot speak for others, but not really for the praise either...i do it for myself, because it's one of the ways i prefer to spend some of my free time...

Which is fair enough - but when your marvels are made just as mighty by others, the thing to do is not huff and puff and demand respect.

No one demands respect, they demand their property rights to be respected....not the same thing.

This seems to be somewhat daft: no one is working for the "community" or for anyone else. If i'd be working for someone, that someone would be paying me, which is not the case.

THAT gets you respect and praise.

again, doubt you can read at this point

Not anoymously sticking out a take-down notice because you feel butt-hurt. Shutting down easy access to a mod lots of people want and will find a way to get that doesn't involve you.

good grief: only the author can fill a DMCA. Yes, it can be anonymous for you, the user, it won't be for the one that got the notification - There is gonna be a reason and eventually proof of ownership. 

Making your name shit in the process.

you seem to be more than happy and willing to do just that

BTW - I am a writer. I know copyright and I know how it feels to have people take your work and use it without permission.

nope, you don't

I am betting sure that everyone above has, at one time or another, downloaded music or books or movies for free. Once I ranted and roared about the amount of my books being ripped off on dl-for-free websites, about all those people who ask for signed copies only to stick them for sale on eBay.

failed logic, well done - so because some people steal shit, it is ok for EVERYONE to steal shit?

But you know what? Makes no difference. All you get is the rep for being a greedy, corporate sell-out bastard. Now I look at what they do as a library; people see what's on offer and maybe read one - then look for my name and the other work I do. I treat it as marketing mate, as should you and all your friends.

you still fail to understand the difference between something that is provided for free and it's real commercial value, a business and corporate greed...nice salad you made out of it all

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, lordniti2 said:

In anycase regardless of who filed the DMCA in the workshop for SW opposition in the end it didn't accomplish anything as it is on VK. people will still download and use SW opposition we can sit here arguing about it or we can all just move on with our lives 

It's not on steam. No auto update, no collections, no auto promotion. Only russian facebook thing. It accomplished something.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, lordniti2 said:

With over 3 MILLION Arma 3 owners, I would say that that its removal from Steam has had not only an immediate effect, but a long term one as well. Sure, people can dig around in the gutter for it, but the majority won't. 

Since the tit for tat continued despite warnings, this thread has been locked. 

Edited by FallujahMedic -FM-
  • Like 5