broduz

Armed Forces of Malden

Will there be Armed Forces of Malden? 

If so, will it just be a re-texture of existing assets?

Is Malden supposed to be a French Island, Greek Island, or both?

We don't plan to add any forces to Malden, it's up to scenario creators to fill their vision of the reimagined terrain :)

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, pettka said:

We don't plan to add any forces to Malden, it's up to scenario creators to fill their vision of the reimagined terrain :)

pettka ; could you please point me to where I would find the co-ords for Malden's location on the Arma-globe?

Is there any link between The Republic of Altis and Stratis and the new 2035 Malden?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Imperator[TFD] said:

pettka ; could you please point me to where I would find the co-ords for Malden's location on the Arma-globe?

Is there any link between The Republic of Altis and Stratis and the new 2035 Malden?

You can find the actual coordinates in the cfgWorld config.

And here's some more info about it: https://www.projectargo.net/blog/dev-blogs/malden-2035-from-landscape-to-level-design

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, pettka said:

Aww thats a shame lol I was secretly hoping for an official re-texture of the independent uniforms...similar to this:

aaf-desert-v30-6_4.jpg

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=22163

Just with the French voices and Malden Flag on the arm patch.

• Like 5

Actually, from what we've seen in OFP, Malden relies on the US forces for protection. There's no mention of indigenous forces anywhere. For such a small, but strategic island, this is quite plausible.

2 hours ago, broduz said:

Aww thats a shame lol I was secretly hoping for an official re-texture of the independent uniforms...similar to this:

[...]

Just with the French voices and Malden Flag on the arm patch.

i doubt such a small island would be a state, no matter how much you'd wish it yourself, besides, what does french have to do with a greek island anyways?

• Like 3

Just now, PuFu said:

i doubt such a small island would be a state, no matter how much you'd wish it yourself, besides, what does french have to do with a greek island anyways?

lol I guess you`re right. The names of all the ports, cities, and towns are all of french influence.... 

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Malden

Malden is the southernmost island of the group. It boasts a much smaller population (less than 500) than Everon or, of course, Nogova. The islands of Malden and Everon were both French Overseas Territorial Possession during the early 1800's and were captured by the Russian Imperial Navy after the Napoleonic Wars. It maintains a French influenced history even though it has been Russian Territory most of the 19th and 20th centuries. Throughout history, Malden was a stop off point for seafarers and Russian fishermen. In the 1960s Malden became a NATO outpost. Although the nearest major NATO base was in West Germany during 1985, Malden was considered not important enough and was left with only a minor presence. There is some farming on Malden although the topography and soil types are not conducive to good farming. Today most of the inhabitants are either descended from French Farm Settlers, Russian seafarers, Nogovan Refugees or are non active/active U.S. military personnel.

This is of course written by community, I don't remember how it was described in the official sources. And in the 2035 timeline, history might not be the same.

• Like 1

Malden would have a gendarmerie force at best. It's a small island community that wouldnt be able to afford (or need really) anything larger. Just use the Tanoan police units as a paramilitary force. Alternatively, hope someone in the community will make a more fleshed out police faction, like deadmeat did back in the OFP days with his Nogovan police mod.

5 hours ago, Bitesrad said:

Malden would have a gendarmerie force at best. It's a small island community that wouldnt be able to afford (or need really) anything larger. Just use the Tanoan police units as a paramilitary force. Alternatively, hope someone in the community will make a more fleshed out police faction, like deadmeat did back in the OFP days with his Nogovan police mod.

Malden already has a military, Everon, Malden and Nogova form part of the Nogovan Republic and is therefore under protection of the Nogovan Armed Forces. Well that's what i have as the background for my Nogovan Armed Forces Mod  :f:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bitesrad said:

But it's 2035 now :) 

1 hour ago, broduz said:

But it's 2035 now :) 

Or see me previous post that Malden is part of the Nogovan Republic and is under protection of the Nogovan Armed Forces :f:

• Like 2

In regards too the Malden DLC I had the idea that the vanilla vehicles should be retextured just for Malden. I know it takes time but maybe the devs could squeeze in a few retextures before Malden is released.Sorry for short notice it came to me just now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, theiliketrainskid13 said:

In regards too the Malden DLC I had the idea that the vanilla vehicles should be retextured just for Malden. I know it takes time but maybe the devs could squeeze in a few retextures before Malden is released.Sorry for short notice it came to me just now.

Literally couldn't agree with you anymore lol :yeahthat:

BTW @pettkawhat does the Flag of Malden even look like in 2035?

11 hours ago, broduz said:

Literally couldn't agree with you anymore lol :yeahthat:

BTW @pettkawhat does the Flag of Malden even look like in 2035?

This is what the community designed the flag to look like back with OFP, i think there was a contest on these forums like there was for the Everon Flag. 

malden-flag.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, theiliketrainskid13 said:

I had the idea that the vanilla vehicles should be retextured just for Malden. I know it takes time but maybe the devs could squeeze in a few retextures before Malden is released.Sorry for short notice it came to me just now.

If you are the CEO of BI you can make these kind of statements and maybe it works. As a random forum member it doesn't. ;-)

Retexturing stuff isn't a super original idea that no one thought of and game design of this scale doesn't work with 'squeeze in .. before [release]. Fortunately vehicle retextures are relatively easy so the mod community can fill in here if you have some patience. :-)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, theiliketrainskid13 said:

2 minutes ago, joostsidy said:

If you are the CEO of BI you can make these kind of statements and maybe it works. As a random forum member it doesn't. ;-)

Retexturing stuff isn't a super original idea that no one thought of and game design of this scale doesn't work with 'squeeze in .. before [release]. Fortunately vehicle retextures are relatively easy so the mod community can fill in here if you have some patience. :-)

Looks like someone has already created some 2035 Malden Army Units :f:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=31527 

1 minute ago, R0adki11 said:

Malden army

There you have it, done! Thanks community :-)

I'm not so happy about the flag, it breaks some serious flag rules:

1. Keep it simple, so simple a child can draw it from memory.
  2. Use meaningful symbolism.
  3. Use two to three basic colors.
  4. No lettering or seals of any kind.
  5. Be distinctive or be related.

The details are more 'heraldic' elements or whatever they're called. All the flag elements should be easily recognizable from a large distance.

https://www.ted.com/talks/roman_mars_why_city_flags_may_be_the_worst_designed_thing_you_ve_never_noticed

This talk should be mandatory viewing for any Arma faction designer :-)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, joostsidy said:

There you have it, done! Thanks community :-)

I'm not so happy about the flag, it breaks some serious flag rules:

1. Keep it simple, so simple a child can draw it from memory.
  2. Use meaningful symbolism.
  3. Use two to three basic colors.
  4. No lettering or seals of any kind.
  5. Be distinctive or be related.

The details are more 'heraldic' elements or whatever they're called. All the flag elements should be easily recognizable from a large distance.

https://www.ted.com/talks/roman_mars_why_city_flags_may_be_the_worst_designed_thing_you_ve_never_noticed

This talk should be mandatory viewing for any Arma faction designer :-)

Well this flag was designed by the OFP community, so probably 16 odd years ago. Perhaps a new flag is needed.

1 hour ago, R0adki11 said:

Well this flag was designed by the OFP community, so probably 16 odd years ago. Perhaps a new flag is needed.

Yeah I realize it's just a fun old thing. And it has some nice elements that could for instance be used for a logo for government or on a police car. Who knows what more OFP inspired things will pop up with the new Malden. I was a huge OFP fan, so I'm really happy with the coming of the new Malden.

Looking at some of the billboards and ads for ION, my guess is that they're defended by ION PMCs.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nightmare515 said:

Looking at some of the billboards and ads for ION, my guess is that they're defended by ION PMCs.

Or NATO if the USA is still using it as an airbase like in OFP. :f:

• Like 1

I've taken the time to get a real good look at Malden 2035. The layout in the terrain so far suggests to me that there may still very well be a sizeable military force presence on the island, that is not organically Maldonian/Maldenese. 

Nevertheless, I get the impression that there is the requirement for a Malden Defence Force. 

.... I have been a part of this community for long enough, I think it's about time I make a mod lol

13 hours ago, R0adki11 said:

Or NATO if the USA is still using it as an airbase like in OFP. :f:

The airbase certainly is large enough!

• Like 2