Sullen Skies

Fundamentally this mod makes a few changes to the cloud system, this adds some increased immersion for the player by generating a much darker and turbulent sky.

Changes the Overcast weather sequence.

Darker and more turbulent clouds. 

Lowers base cloud significantly.

No cloudless skies.  

The mod is heavily inspired by Opticalsnare's Blastcore Skies and could be seen as riding the coat tails of something that is already out there, however, Blascore Skies hasn't worked well since the Visual Uprgade, and while this version is much more basic, it is essentially up to date.

I have decided to post this in the discussion section to garner some/any feedback on the merits of releasing something similar to what is already out there. 

• Like 23

Looks good ... and better yet, it suits my mood for the best part of the day ...

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, sammael said:

any game perfomance  hit?)

I haven't noted any decrease in performance while testing. I keep a close eye on my fps counter while the overcast transitions are taking place and it's rock solid at the moment.

I'm keenly aware that in-game performance is at a premium, so if this mod turned things into a slideshow I wouldn't work on it.  

And thanks for the kind words so far guys!

• Like 3

Looks great. Can't wait to use it in some screenshots.

On 28.5.2017 at 0:17 AM, Evil Organ said:

Blascore Skies hasn't worked well since the Visual Uprgade, and while this version is much more basic, it is essentially up to date. [...] any feedback on the merits of releasing something similar to what is already out there.

You already mentioned a perfectly valid reason. If something isnt maintained anymore and was degraded by a game update i dont count it as valid option for mods i would use...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, x3kj said:

You already mentioned a perfectly valid reason. If something isnt maintained anymore and was degraded by a game update i dont count it as valid option for mods i would use...

I value this community and have the utmost respect for modders past and present.....I guess this is the reason i added that footnote to the OP.

Feedback as been nothing but positive so i will press on and get this out soon. Initial release will cover Altis, Stratis, Tanoa and Malden, with support for CUP terrains somewhere down the line.

Timelapse showing the overcast transitions.....on Malden!  

(video is 5mins long, i'd recommend setting playback speed to 2)

• Like 4

Looks great, perfect for use with Ravage :f:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, R0adki11 said:

Looks great, perfect for use with Ravage :f:

Ravage is inspiration..... not-worthy-yahoo-emoticon.gif

• Like 1

If I may ,can I ask for making it really rain much,and put it sideways coming? And gusty? And set the distance I can see ,much lower ,even if I use flares at night?    Love this mod,keep it coming .Looking forward to the download. Thanks so much.

• Like 1

On 31/05/2017 at 6:54 AM, john1 said:

If I may ,can I ask for making it really rain much,and put it sideways coming? And gusty? And set the distance I can see ,much lower ,even if I use flares at night?    Love this mod,keep it coming .Looking forward to the download. Thanks so much.

You want check compatibility of combining the Irish weather mod with the Italian football supporters mod...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, domokun said:

Irish weather mod.... 

Woah there buddy!......I'll have you know this is a 100% Scottish weather mod. :f: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Evil Organ said:

Woah there buddy!......I'll have you know this is a 100% Scottish weather mod. :f: 

Aye!! all 4 seasons in one morning !!

• Like 2

lol So true, quote from one of my youtube vids

. on a side note took the dog out this morning in glorious sunshine 20 yards later it was snowing 10 yards later it was raining then some nice mist then back to clear skies, was only out for 15 mins. Should be cool as hell seeing this mod roll over the grand Scottish hills.

• Like 2

OP has been updated with an early WIP version for Altis.

As this is the version I've been testing with, it's an all in one config that includes my other little mods, Weedkiller and Ambient Birds.

Full version will include support for all Arma 3 vanilla maps, Altis, Stratis, Tanoa and Malden. 

I'll consider support for community maps if feedback is good and you guys like what you see.

Experiment and enjoy! :f:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Evil Organ said:

OP has been updated with an early WIP version for Altis.

As this is the version I've been testing with, it's an all in one config that includes my other little mods, Weedkiller and Ambient Birds.

Full version will include support for all Arma 3 vanilla maps, Altis, Stratis, Tanoa and Malden. 

I'll consider support for community maps if feedback is good and you guys like what you see.

Experiment and enjoy! :f:

Would there be a way to just enable it on all maps? or is that impossible

2 minutes ago, LykosMactire said:

Would there be a way to just enable it on all maps? or is that impossible

As it's a change to an individual map config, i'm not sure it can be made to be a "one mod fits all" type affair, however adding support to 3rd party maps is completely possible, but it would require individual pbo's. 

• Like 1