npmproductions13

I love ArmA 3 but feel let down

So ill kick this off by saying i'm a huge fan and constant player of ArmA 3 i bought ArmA 3 on launch and iv'e been in many military units and have 2500 hours+ racked up on steam.
I always play ArmA everyday without fail. But in my opinion you criticize what you love and here is what makes me angry with the development of ArmA 3 since the beginning.

1. So first off is the DLC in my opinion every DLC released regardless of the price tag has under delivered, ill use the recent Jets DLC with the addition of the carrier that was added as an example.. In my opinion the carrier was the biggest selling point for the jets DLC and was a joke to the few milsim and general units that still exist in ArmA today essentially the carrier is a beautiful looking shell with a launch platform and a landing one. It should have gotten a full interior with elevators and a complete interior storage area for planes and helicopters alike, then the carrier could have been used for operation briefings and overall would have increased a persons immersion in the milsim environment that ArmA is supposed to simulate. Overall the scope of the ArmA 3 DLC and how they have been released is ultimately a disgrace when compared to the far more enjoyable and commendable ArmA 2/OA release method.
  2. My second issue with ArmA 3 is the Environments/Terrains almost all terrains released have been a bare bone mess and ultimately they have little to no foliage with the exception of the Apex DLC (Tanoa) which again added very little to the game besides the map its self. When you compare these new terrains to Arma 2 that got a tonne of new vehicles and weapons with the map. All apex got was the same vehicles but re skinned a new faction with 3 ak variants and an RPG-7. (Which again in my opinion under delivered)

Comparing Arma 3 to Dayz yes i said it Dayz. Today on the 26/05/2017 DayZ is currently in an experimental 0.62 that adds new trees and foliage (A Complete Overhaul) and after personally testing it after awhile i asked myself why hasn't Arma got good foliage like DayZ has now. Well the Apex DLC (Tanoa) tried to give us a map with great amounts of foliage (In a Jungle) but again fell short the Tanoa map although a great map on paper suffers from massive performance hits (DayZ new trees and foliage doesn't) and not to mention the map is plagued with Houses and Buildings that have one enterable room and the rest of the rooms are "Barred Off" so you can't enter the rest of the house because again it feels Bohemia Interactive are cutting corners alot like the carrier and the retextureing of vehicles instead of making new ones to accommodate the terrain. Before anyone metions the fact that DayZ now has its own engine and Arma 3 is on another i do know this but i think my point still stands.

Now to wrap up i would like to say if any staff from BI see this please pass it on to the top and have a good read and sit down and discuss the scope of the game please because your all over the place.

To anyone else reading please post your opinions and suggestions for this wonderful game and maybe we can save it together because right now it's sinking like a rock and that's sad to see.

I also forgot to mention my prediction for the Tanks DLC expected to drop in 2018.. well here it is 3 new tanks 1 for each side and some overhaul that should have been in the game since the beginning.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CannonSong said:

[citation needed]

Well all of this is in my opinion like i said so no need for Citations.

If you hear a rolling of the eyes its because what you wrote is basically found in various other threads and hashed out adnaseum.

You're absolutely allowed to have your opinions, although they maybe better served in threads that discussed every point in your post. Quick recap of why/ how many disagree with your points;

1. The carrier was free. Don't like the jet DLC, don't buy it

2. If you're talking about Altis and Stratis for terrain, 2013 called and it wants your disappointment back. Seriously, that's how long ago it was released. While there are complaints about mid range textures, I think everyone likes it. As for the good old days, I seem to remember only Chernarus had more foliage in the A2 series of official maps.

3. DayZ is a different game. And I hardly think GIVING AWAY the aircraft carrier is cutting corners. Unlike many other game developers, BI continue to improve and issue FREE UPGRADES to make a better game.

I'm all for feedback, but personally don't get the first post.

• Like 6

Oh no!....not another "I'm a jaded A3 customer rant thread"........

32 minutes ago, npmproductions13 said:
  1. My second issue with ArmA 3 is the Environments/Terrains almost all terrains released have been a bare bone mess and ultimately they have little to no foliage with the exception of the Apex DLC (Tanoa) which again added very little to the game besides the map its self. When you compare these new terrains to Arma 2 that got a tonne of new vehicles and weapons with the map. All apex got was the same vehicles but re skinned a new faction with 3 ak variants and an RPG-7. (Which again in my opinion under delivered)

Dude, i could fill a few paragraphs with how far of the mark this whole quote is but I'm tired, just home from work, so this will have to do.....^^ :rofl:

35 minutes ago, npmproductions13 said:

Comparing Arma 3 to Dayz yes i said it Dayz. Today on the 26/05/2017 DayZ is currently in an experimental 0.62 that adds new trees and foliage (A Complete Overhaul) and after personally testing it after awhile i asked myself why hasn't Arma got good foliage like DayZ has now. 

Apples and Oranges anybody?  ^^   ArmA 3 > RV4 Engine (nearing the end of it's life),  DayZ SA > Enfusion Engine (brand new and shiny)

I could pick apart the rest of this post, but as i said earlier I'm tired. :goodnight:  

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Evil Organ said:

Oh no!....not another "I'm a jaded A3 customer rant thread"........

Dude, i could fill a few paragraphs with how far of the mark this whole quote is but I'm tired, just home from work, so this will have to do.....^^ :rofl:

Apples and Oranges anybody?  ^^   ArmA 3 > RV4 Engine (nearing the end of it's life),  DayZ SA > Enfusion Engine (brand new and shiny)

I could pick apart the rest of this post, but as i said earlier I'm tired. :goodnight:  

Thanks for your input its appreciated i also noted that both Arma 3 and DayZ are on different engines. But i get what your saying :down: Just annoyed that the game i love is going downhill with both its player base and content is all.

I've been messing around with BIS games since 2002, so first of all - dammit, I'm getting old.

I totally understand why people dislike the DLC business model, I'm really not a fan of it either - as a rule of thumb I'm only going for the definitive editions when buying games.

Yet Arma 3 is one of the few positive examples on the market today - the DLC might not have a lot of content, but they keep working on the engine and rolling out free platform updates with each release. They make some money and keep paying their developers (at least I hope they do) and we get free updates and features. While those few new planes aren't really that interesting (more of a tech demo for me; opening the updated configs and looking at what's new is always fun), the new flight model and features with the latest release was just awesome. Addons can reach and surpass the potential of the DLC unit without having to pay for anything except the main game, this is what makes it one of a kind for me. Back in my day we would have killed for an advanced VTOL system and weapon loadout management.

Considering all of the above, the skin on my neck is still elastic, so I guess I'm not that old yet.

• Like 8

You clearly don't understand why platform and engine updates are important and needed by the modding community.

Also just an FYI, you are the "downhill" part of the community.

• Like 9

On 27.5.2017 at 6:43 AM, warden_1 said:

Also just an FYI, you are the "downhill" part of the community.

He just isn't hooked to the editor/scripting part of the game yet.

Cheers

• Like 2

I'm OK with it. I'm of the opinion that A2 probably over-delivered, as much as we all like All The Stuff. I find Altis to be a great map, a map where nearly all the buildings are enterable. Chenarus is my personal favourite with the woodland, and Tanoa is a crazy dense environment. Takistan is devoid of vegetation, very hilly, small intense villages that can be overlooked from afar. I feel they each have their strengths and no map can have everything (yet).

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

He just isn't hooked to the editor/scripting part of the game yet.

Cheers

This makes sense. If taken on its single player missions alone Arma doesn't hold up too well against other titles. Where it can't be touched is its open sandbox, editor and as a result, the creativity of gaming groups to deliver unique, weekly playing experiences..

I have one major complaint about the game. My complaint is that there is too much choice starting up the game! Want to play as marksman, you can choose from no less than 7 marksman rifles! Want to play as UV operator? Four basic types of unmanned vehicle, maybe choose the chopper, OR I could play a mission as helo pilot. I was thinking about finally creating a jet mission for the first time, got overloaded with a bunch of new jets in the DLC. I haven't even used one, now we have 6 to choose from.

There are some legitimate complaints that I can understand, like sharing some weapon systems between competing factions, but I think now that the Arma game is maturing with the DLC's there is really a lot, a lot of content.

And yeah, 'a lot' is relative I know. I just feel a bit sorry for people who will always keep asking for more, speaking of 'bare bones' content etc. As soon as BI would release a hyper realistic map of Manhattan, including all buildings that are enterable, this type of player would complain that the map should be 'state-scale' from the start, and other cities are 'missing' etc.

Maybe its an age thing: playing Wolfenstein with four weapons total and now choosing from no less than 7 versions of one particular type of rifle is awesome.. Or wishing your OFP playing self could see you now, using highly detailed terrain for cover and concealment or flying a VTOL delivering light strike vehicles.

I'm not worshiping the game, I am one of those guys who really miss the internal lighting and interiors of all vehicles, including tanks that OFP had. I also predicted that for 'OFP2' around 2005 ALL doors on ALL vehicles would be animated. Still waiting BI bastards! :-)

So @productions: your prediction about the tanks is probably not far from the mark, it won't change the game drastically, it's just an addition. Maybe you will be happier if you manage your expectations.

• Like 3

I know what you mean about spoiled for choice mate.  Often I will diddle around in the editor coming up with concepts for missions in my head trying various vehicles, loadouts and locations only to relise two hours have passed and Ive achieved nothing!

• Like 1

I guess another point to make is that all the stuff we love in ArmA2, is available to play in ArmA3, with very little effort. I don't know many other game franchises that allow that.