johnnyboy

[SOLVED] ropeCreate not creating rope for me

Solved:  It seems that at least one of the objects must be a vehicle for the rope to create.

Hi guys, I'm simply trying to create a rope between to objects using ropeCreate.  To just see the command work I tried with two flag poles named flag1 and flag2:

rope1 = ropeCreate [flag1, [0,1,5], flag2, [0,0,1]];      // defaulting optional segments and length parameters
rope2 = ropeCreate [flag1, [0,1,5], flag2, [0,0,1],2,6];  // specifying segments and length parameters

These commands do not fail, but they do not create any visible ropes.  I do a "typeOf rope1" in the console, and nothing shows, so I don't think the rope object exists.

What am I doing wrong?  How do I create a rope between two objects?  

I am not connecting to vehicles or units.

consider the to and from objects.

It's like this, I'm sending a piece of mail to the office, the office isn't sending a piece of mail to me :)

Solved:  Flagpoles aren't physics objects.  You can only attach ropes to physics objects.  If you want to attach to a non-physics object like a building.  Put a physics object on the building (say a tire) at the position where you want the rope, then hide the physics object.  Attach the rope to the hidden tire, and it looks like its attached to the build.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Solved:  Flagpoles aren't physics objects.  You can only attach ropes to physics objects.  If you want to attach to a non-physics object like a building.  Put a physics object on the building (say a tire) at the position where you want the rope, then hide the physics object.  Attach the rope to the hidden tire, and it looks like its attached to the build.

It should have worked either way, doesn't matter if its a physics object or not.

I've attached a boat to a completely static pillar on a dock before. 

Hmmm...maybe one object must be a vehicle then.  I tried roping 2 tires together and it didn't work.  But I could rope a Drone vehicle to a tire non-vehicle no problem.

2 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Hmmm...maybe one object must be a vehicle then.  I tried roping 2 tires together and it didn't work.  But I could rope a Drone vehicle to a tire non-vehicle no problem.

Read what Feint had to say in regards to to physics objects. (On RopeCreate  biki)