Tankbuster

Titans in 1.7. Forwards or backwards?

I'm not sure I like the changes to Titan in 1.7.

First off, the AT round doesn't lock most of the time. I've confirmed that target is hot using IR view, it was bright - it was even moving its turret so the engine was on, and no part of the vehicle was obscured. Range was a tad over 400m. Yet I couldn't get a lock. Yes, I know about the keybindings - I've previously used tab for this and that is still bound. I tried T too. No lock. Client FPS was about 30, if it's relevant. In a 2 hour mission last night, I fired a dozen Titan AT rounds, only one of them got a lock.

But what is weird and appears to have been done to mitigate this, is that there is almost no recoil on launching, so it's really easy to fire unlocked and TV guide the missile. Also, there's very little weapon sway when compared to an MX when encumbrance and stamina are both the same.

Meanwhile, the AA starts to lock the moment you bring it to bear, but its field of view is very narrow, perhaps too narrow. I've noticed I get more hits with the AA now, but that may be just luck.

The AP round? Always been a great way of drawing large amount of counter fire. Not tried it again yet. :)

The lack of lock is when there is the tiniest bit of foliage in the way !  It does need to be fixed.  I remember the Javelin mod that allowed top down attacks ... it allowed you to have LOS onto a tank/car/building/even troops (with AP round) (beeping)  then LOCK (soild tone).

I think this is why AT are so ineffective.  AT on a battlefield should scare tanks ... at present you just hide a tiny bit of your hot vehicle and you won't be locked.

Are you firing at the new planes possibly? Your best best is to get someone to designate for you. Otherwise, you're going to want to be closer.

The AA rockets do some serious damage if hit in the right place. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Midnighters said:

Are you firing at the new planes possibly? Your best best is to get someone to designate for you. Otherwise, you're going to want to be closer.

The AA rockets do some serious damage if hit in the right place. 

The new planes - yes once and it was a frontal aspect shot and it hit, the plane caught fire immediately. Retelling has just reminded me, the Shikra I killed seemed to lose all its airspeed before it lost any altitude - very odd.

All of the other kills where on helicopters

1 minute ago, Tankbuster said:

The new planes - yes once and it was a frontal aspect shot and it hit, the plane caught fire immediately. Retelling has just reminded me, the Shikra I killed seemed to lose all its airspeed before it lost any altitude - very odd.

All of the other kills where on helicopters

My thoughts may be in the different rounds. 

Either way, you're going to need to get closer. 

4 hours ago, kremator said:

The lack of lock is when there is the tiniest bit of foliage in the way !  It does need to be fixed.  I remember the Javelin mod that allowed top down attacks ... it allowed you to have LOS onto a tank/car/building/even troops (with AP round) (beeping)  then LOCK (soild tone).

I think this is why AT are so ineffective.  AT on a battlefield should scare tanks ... at present you just hide a tiny bit of your hot vehicle and you won't be locked.

But this has always been the case - we call it the 'magic pixel'. If you can't see that, you aint getting a lock, no matter what. But I had full unobstructed view of all of these vehicles. 3 of them were Tigris (what IS the plural of Tigris?)  It too remember that Javelin mod with much fondness. :)

• Like 1

Just now, Tankbuster said:

(what IS the plural of Tigris?)

Tigres ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Midnighters said:

My thoughts may be in the different rounds. 

Either way, you're going to need to get closer. 

When you say "someone else to designate" What do you mean, bearing in mind we're talking AA?

Just now, Tankbuster said:

When you say "someone else to designate" What do you mean, bearing in mind were talking AA?

I'm not quite sure, I was led to believe we were talking about the AT launchers? Hence the "Titan in 1.7" in the post title?

Just now, Midnighters said:

@Tankbuster Goes back to @Tavish's post about the Javelin like launchers

It does indeed, and I fully agree with him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kremator said:

Tigres ?

Tigers :don11:

1 minute ago, Midnighters said:

I'm not quite sure, I was led to believe we were talking about the AT launchers? Hence the "Titan in 1.7" in the post title?

I have issues with both AT and AA, hence the thread title being deliberately ambiguous/open. 

So, you're saying the Titan AT can lock onto a designator splash?

2 minutes ago, Midnighters said:

Tigers :don11:

Tigrii, surely?

At this point, I'm going to shamelessly bigup one of my clan guys.... I shoot at the Hellcat with AA, which spoofs the missile, and a teammate is lining up an unlocked Titan AT round on the same aircraft. Then from behind me, a Neophron comes barrelling in, strafing me on the ground and flying in front of the Hellcat at the crucial moment! Proper 'taking one for the team'.

edited to add, this was in version whatever we had in the middle of January this year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tankbuster said:

I'm not sure I like the changes to Titan in 1.7.

First off, the AT round doesn't lock most of the time. I've confirmed that target is hot using IR view, it was bright - it was even moving its turret so the engine was on, and no part of the vehicle was obscured. Range was a tad over 400m. Yet I couldn't get a lock. Yes, I know about the keybindings - I've previously used tab for this and that is still bound. I tried T too. No lock. Client FPS was about 30, if it's relevant. In a 2 hour mission last night, I fired a dozen Titan AT rounds, only one of them got a lock.

But what is weird and appears to have been done to mitigate this, is that there is almost no recoil on launching, so it's really easy to fire unlocked and TV guide the missile. Also, there's very little weapon sway when compared to an MX when encumbrance and stamina are both the same.

Meanwhile, the AA starts to lock the moment you bring it to bear, but its field of view is very narrow, perhaps too narrow. I've noticed I get more hits with the AA now, but that may be just luck.

The lock on has been switched to right clicking, you also need to visually look at the target within a narrow cone of your cross hairs. I would suggest checking your keybindings and assure that the actual target lock hasn't been switched up on you. Basically the Titian no longer has a magical cone of 180 degrees in which a player can just spam the lock in hopes of locking onto something they don't visually see right away. 

Tab has been reserved, from what I understand, to radar based weapons. 

I'm not 100% sure what you mean fired dozen of rounds but no lock? Did you actually lock on with a proper indication as such before firing? Since rounds go off of hot targets, a number of things can throw the missile off, even vehicle smoke. This can be countered, as the missile will switch to manual after losing lock. So as long as you are properly lining up the target you can still hit them. 

5 minutes ago, silentghoust said:

I'm not 100% sure what you mean fired dozen of rounds but no lock? Did you actually lock on with a proper indication as such before firing? Since rounds go off of hot targets, a number of things can throw the missile off, even vehicle smoke. This can be countered, as the missile will switch to manual after losing lock. So as long as you are properly lining up the target you can still hit them. 

I mean I fired about that many during a mission and only one of them acquired a lock before firing. And I'm pretty sure it locked using the tab key. The rest I just pointed the cross hairs at the target, gave up trying to get a lock so fired the missile unlocked and usually scored a hit because the launcher has no recoil any more. It's easy to TV guide the missile

The Titan AT is still a mighty tool if you use it right. The new flight profile of the missiles is much better to hit targets behind cover in manual guidance mode. Locking problems due to foilage are ok and natural to me, you want to use the titan from higher ground and far away, at least 1000m, but I prefer more than 2000 meters. The idea of such missiles is to shoot them from higher ground ad outside of the effective range of the target. Its no quickdraw weapon for Close quarter fights.

It seems to me like the new sensor update made it really hard to get locks with IR anti tank missiles. Macers are nearly useless, and the homing on titans is pretty bad too.

For ATGMs on fixed wings, I'm having more luck lasing targets and using LGBs / scalpels than the Macers...

Likewise, manual guidance of the titan missiles is needed.

They need to take another look at AT missile locking, because its like they turned tanks into stealth craft

Yes and no, @Ex3B.Locking is harder, but manual guidance is easier.

All shoulder launched weapons (apart from the RPG) need a lock.  I use the T key.  However this does not excuse that fact that even when you have almost FULL view of the hot vehicle it does not lock (doesnt matter what key you press :) )

• Like 1

I saw that, but it's in the dev branch forum.

It would be nice to have a switch on two flight trajectories on the missiles Titan AT:

- straight
  - high, canopy from the top down

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T79899

At a minimum, it should be remembered that the launch Titan AT has two types of AT and AP missiles. Both applications need two trajectories of missile flight.
This is a universal and powerful weapon, it must possess universal characteristics of missile guidance and their trajectories.

Titan AA missiles doesn't use SACLOS

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T122027

As a minimum, it should be recalled that the launch Titan AA has a small angle. You can not shoot at the target, when the target is as close to you as possible.

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T71574