Burnie117

Helicopter camera

15 hours ago, pooroldspike said:

Not today mate, but I've been thinking of popping over to this place round the corner from me to ask the ladies if they can read my palm and tell me if I'll ever be piloting the Blackfish again-

Since my PC has been down, have thought a lot about flying again in the hummingbird.  If I make a return to the game, it would be nice if this is all fixed up.  It's nice to see all the work going in on both sides and seeing the players and BI interacting so well to come up with something.  I've enjoyed being a small voice and part.  What a great game, it's so great it's worth the time for me.

Yah, but this manpower issue has provided us with time to convince BI to fix this camera correctly for everyone as best they can.  Yes, BI was mistaken that the camera could work for both jets and helis, but they are working to get it right and listening to our objective feedback to do it.

We're building a relationship with the guys who have power and control over our gaming experience.  This will pave new roads and bond new relationships to discuss future changes to the game and we all hold the power and influence by being here and making our likes and dislikes heard.  

BI welcomes our feedback and builds the game around that.  That's how this discussion began in the first place.  

I want a quick fix, have it my way or the highway, but that's just not reasonable and it's selfish.  

One pretty accurate conclusion is that BI is working with players and building stuff that BI believes will make the game better, more interesting, and give us the best playing experience they can provide with what the current manpower and budget allows, and make a living doing it.

What game out there can compare to this one?  In my opinion there is none.  This game is simply amazing.  

• Like 1

Here's another video that I think is an appropriate tribute to the beauty and stability of the old 1.68 camera that allowed for tactical flying in third at lower altitudes.

2 hours ago, Storm7 said:

love how its been nearly a month and no fix :)

there has been a fix. But IMO and my findings the one problem actually has 2 parts. Only one part was addressed. The devs will get it right. Just give them some time they are also working on the Malden release at the same time (june 22nd i thinkj) so yeah they have deadlines and testing and re-testing. Just give them a little more time

• Like 1

Oukej said re the Titan AA:- 

This is offtopic. Titan has been changed deliberately - it's been an integral and required part of the Sensor Overhaul to balance the missiles and countermeasures. As always - we're open to feedback! Please continue on this topic in the linked thread.

Oukej said re the Blackfish:-This is a bit trickier subject (and also OT ;)). The change has been triggered by changing the airplane throttle behavior from "autothrottle" to a standard incremental throttle.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks mate but the link to the Sensor Overhaul doesn't work for me.

1- All I know is that in KOTH  jets now completely dominate and unbalance the game because there's not a thing we can do to shoot them down with the fiddly new Titans. 

2- The link to the Blackfish thread works but it's 30 pages long and I don't have the time or inclination to wade through it, I'm going to watch some videos of Stargate SG-1.

I've just spent 5 hours in the KOTH servers and I didn't see a single Blackfish, whereas before 1.70 the sky was full of them.

5 hours ago, pooroldspike said:

Fixed. You'll find the forum discussion over here

14 hours ago, pooroldspike said:

Oukej said re the Titan AA:- 

This is offtopic. Titan has been changed deliberately - it's been an integral and required part of the Sensor Overhaul to balance the missiles and countermeasures. As always - we're open to feedback! Please continue on this topic in the linked thread.

Oukej said re the Blackfish:-This is a bit trickier subject (and also OT ;)). The change has been triggered by changing the airplane throttle behavior from "autothrottle" to a standard incremental throttle.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1- All I know is that in KOTH  jets now completely dominate and unbalance the game because there's not a thing we can do to shoot them down with the fiddly new Titans. 

2- The link to the Blackfish thread works but it's 30 pages long and I don't have the time or inclination to wade through it, I'm going to watch some videos of Stargate SG-1.

I've just spent 5 hours in the KOTH servers and I didn't see a single Blackfish, whereas before 1.70 the sky was full of them.

There are four things to keep in mind when it comes to anti air missiles (and in some cases, missiles in general).

1. IR vs Radar.  There has been a lot of misunderstanding in regards to the use of the radar now, I've seen a lot of people keeping it on at all times, especially in anti air vehicles and then wondering why they get killed so easily.
The radar is only needed to scan and track targets, as well as to use Radar guided missiles. 

IR missiles don't need them and this is a HUGE bonus for ground infantry.  This means the pilot won't know they are being tracked, in fact they are completely unaware of your presence until you launch that missile.
This is true for any IR missile platform, Tigris and it's counterpart do not need their radar on to use their missiles, and having it off will not reveal their position to the enemy...of course being a vehicle means they can still be detected by the enemy radar.

2.  Lead vs Lag.   In the past all missiles used Lag tracking, meaning they would follow the target from behind and eventually catch up, their range was limited only by their lifespan.  
Now anti air missiles use Lead tracking, they calculate the targets speed, direction, and estimate where they are going.
They can be even more deadly or worse depending on how the player handles them.   Your missile no longer wants to chase, it wants to drop in and say hello!

3.  Agility and Angles.  Now more than ever the player must take the angle of themselves to their target into consideration.  If an enemy jet is flying perpendicular to you as you launch a missile, its more often than not a garunteed miss.   The missile needs room to turn and that extra second is likely to make it turn into the flares instead. 

Truth is though, flares are rarely what causes the miss, rather it's because the missile had to turn too much, or the operator launched at a poor time.   The missile has exceptional maneuverability on launch and a few seconds after, beyond that it can still turn but it won't be making any sharp ones...plan that accordingly.

4.  IR missiles LOVE the heat, they live for the booty.  If you get the chance to take a at an aircraft facing with its rear facing you, that is 99% of the time a garunteed kill, even if the pilot drops flares the missile will go for the greater heat source, the engines.

Here is  a video with a brief explanation of the above and several clips to demonstrate these factors in action.

• Like 2

Haha I've been making sensational posts to try to help Bohemia repair their bolloxed-up AA3 1.70, and a knuckledragging mod has just hit me with this warning below. Huh you try to be nice..(sniffle)..

Look Boh, I can't waste any more of my time trying to help you if you won't listen; so as far as I'm concerned AA3 is now a dead duck until you fix it, and until then I won't be recommending it to noobs who are thinking of buying it, I'll tell them there are plenty of other games and flight sims around that they can choose from..:)

AA3-warning_zps52stjj3d.jpg~original

• Like 2

Geez, who would have thought infantry weapons would require thinking to use effectively. I like the updates to AA, actually. They force you to give some thought to both evasion and launching. Helo camera might be a valid complaint (though can I fly and land in 1st person just fine, so I don't know), but Titan is better than it was before.

I wouldn't recommend ArmA to anyone who isn't willing to do some thinking about how they fight. The series was never easy and always involved a lot of depth. This is what I bought ArmA3 for, and ArmA2 before that.

5 hours ago, pooroldspike said:

Haha I've been making sensational posts to try to help Bohemia repair their bolloxed-up AA3 1.70, and a knuckledragging mod has just hit me with this warning below. Huh you try to be nice..(sniffle)..

Look Boh, I can't waste any more of my time trying to help you if you won't listen; so as far as I'm concerned AA3 is now a dead duck until you fix it, and until then I won't be recommending it to noobs who are thinking of buying it, I'll tell them there are plenty of other games and flight sims around that they can choose from..:)

Wtf.......this is pure nonsense...imo..

We have good discussions and ideas on the subject. 
Surely there is also something offtopic. 
But we are humans and have a social side. 
I like to read your comments and sometimes they made day.
Dear moderators, please do not forget that we are only staying here because we 
have invested money and want to help our great experiences in arma continue.

• Like 1

We all want that :) The categorization is here to save time and concentrate closely related information on one place so it's easier to find and discuss and no relevant info is lost in a different topic. If you want a dev to take notice it's better to keep things simple and focused. One can't be in the code and reading through forums at the same moment. Especially repeating information across multiple threads feels like a waste of resources.
The mods are helping the development and great game experiences by keeping things organized. Making it possible for the valuable feedback to evolve and make its way through. There's no bad blood. We all want to improve Arma :)

And also we all like some lulz from time to time ;)

• Like 4

7 hours ago, pooroldspike said:

yep there are certainly some mods (not in this thread) I have come across in these forums that are on a "power-trip". The forums have improved though in the last 2 years or so and BI devs are actually listening to us now so its gotten a whole lot better IMO. There was a time here where if you criticized anything the mods didn't agree with it was a ban. Thats another reason armaholic got so popular back in the day. But anyways I am getting off topic

• Like 2

Spike provides good feedback and always adds an interesting tidbit in my opinion.  I do agree we can get off topic during exchanges of feedback, I'm at fault too, and leave a lot of unnecessary reading for the devs to keep up with.

On the other side of the coin, if the game didn't have so many problems and issues, there'd be a lot less of us hanging around discussing issues waiting for things to get fixed.

• Like 2

agreed 100%. It is what it is. Its human nature plain and simple

• Like 2

On 6/8/2017 at 1:13 PM, Greenfist said:

Hate to interrupt all the fun analogs here, but I just dropped by to link my mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=942539625

It nails the horizon in place on all helicopters' cameras. It changes the helicopters base class, thus affects all choppers that don't have their own camera parameters defined.

Only works in game version 1.72 or later, so you'll have to wait 2 weeks before using it in the stable branch, or you can try it now on the dev build or release candidate.

Don't get me wrong; I still don't think this is better than the current vanilla camera, but since it was so simple thing to mod, and apparently very widely needed, I just wanted to do something constructive for a change.

So have any of you tried @greenfists mod? And if so can you post some feedback? Im sure he would appreciate it and also I am curious myself.

5 hours ago, RacerX said:

So have any of you tried @greenfists mod? And if so can you post some feedback? Im sure he would appreciate it and also I am curious myself.

Tried this out today, works very well!

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Misconduct said:

Tried this out today, works very well!

So does this fix the heli cam issue for you? Are you back to flying like you used to?

1 hour ago, RacerX said:

So does this fix the heli cam issue for you? Are you back to flying like you used to?

yes, but I can't help but feel like something is off, like the camera is too far forward and if you 2x - it seems too far out, I could just be adjusting from the damage 1.70 has done to my game.

But excellent job by greenfist!

B.I. hire greenfist. jk Im sure its not that easy to make this work with the current build, or doing it without undoing improvements to jets. but it seems like this as an option would be ideal.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Misconduct said:

B.I. hire greenfist. jk Im sure its not that easy to make this work with the current build, or doing it without undoing improvements to jets. but it seems like this as an option would be ideal.

Thanks. I'm very qualified for the job if it involves nothing else than replacing one 0.5 with 0. :)

If BI simply wants to make the horizon fixed again, that one zero is enough. And as you can see, it doesn't affect the current jets.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Misconduct said:

yes, but I can't help but feel like something is off, like the camera is too far forward and if you 2x - it seems too far out, I could just be adjusting from the damage 1.70 has done to my game.

same for me....

the camera is way better than before with greenfists mod......thank you for your work....:)

but it feels not completly right for me.

the camera was not the only problem i got with 1.70.

if you ask me, they changed the steering aswell.(sensitivity???).....or maybe its just me......

and i got a inputlag......or for me.....it feels like that after 1.70 update an patch.....

FOV is another thing.

i wish BI would simply revert everything to 1.68 and after that fix everything for jets.

• Like 2

The configuration can be adjusted per vehicle (currently done on the base class level). Same with the FoV changes. Atm we're not planning to bring the speed based FoV changes back. What may happen is an adjustment of the camera position and initial FoV.

But just in case - here's a mod with the FOV speed sensitivity back - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=945864264

• Like 5

4 hours ago, oukej said:

The configuration can be adjusted per vehicle (currently done on the base class level). Same with the FoV changes. Atm we're not planning to bring the speed based FoV changes back. What may happen is an adjustment of the camera position and initial FoV.

But just in case - here's a mod with the FOV speed sensitivity back - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=945864264

any chance we can get all these mod settings (fov,locked to horizon) as vanilla settings so we are not dependent on mods?

1 hour ago, RacerX said:

any chance we can get all these mod settings (fov,locked to horizon) as vanilla settings so we are not dependent on mods?

Any change we can keep all these great new things as vanilla settings?

Wait a minute... that's the problem here, isn't it? :headscratch:

7 hours ago, oukej said:

@oukej thanks A LOT for this, this is exactly what i meant and needed. Personally this little mod fixes it for my friends and me, since we fly privately in dedicated servers. Would be awsome to see this as option in the game, to use it in normal servers too, but this alone is DIVINE for us.

Thanks A LOT!