VTOL/Flaps Controls Mod

Have you ever wanted to be able to control Flaps and VTOL angle separately without having to touch the Auto Vectoring button? Well now you can! This mod adds separate keystrokes to your in-game controls menu for Flaps Up, Flaps Down, VTOL Up and VTOL Down. The keyboard commands can then be mapped to a joystick or throttle (HOTAS) if you want. Turning "Auto Vectoring" on and off is no longer required!

Instructions:
  1. Open your Controls Menu
  2. Click on Configure Addons
  3. Select "VTOL/FLAPS Controls Mod"
  4. Assign the keys
    • OPTIONAL: You can then unmap the Vanilla FLAPS UP and FLAPS DOWN controls
    • Keep "Auto Vectoring" mapped if you plan to use the F35 from C.U.P. so you can close the flight surfaces
  5. When you want to lower or raise flaps, hit those keys. When you want to raise or lower the VTOL angle, hit those keys.
    • You no longer have to hit Auto Vectoring On/Off. This changes automatically.
    • Regular (non-VTOL) planes function normally
    • For VTOL angle to function, aircraft engine must be ON

Features:
  • Works on all vanilla planes and VTOL aircraft and CUP VTOL aircraft
  • VTOL and FLAPS controls separated into 4 separate keypresses so you can map to separate controls on your HOTAS
  • Very small addon (0.1 MB)
  • customizable controls via Configure Addons menu (CBA)

Future Plans:
  • Once BI implements a command to measure VTOL angle percentage, I can probably eliminate the need for the Auto Vectoring button when using the F35.
  • Once BI implements some way of checking if an aircraft is a VTOL aircraft such as "isVTOL", then I can make this work with all mods automatically.
  • NOTE TO MOD MAKERS: If you have a VTOL aircraft that you'd like me to include in this mod, PM me the classname(s) of those VTOL aircraft.

Dependencies:

CBA_A3

Bugs:

NONE

Bikey:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByQshG747KqKWUNEMjRLMVRFTjg/view?usp=sharing

Credits:

All credits to me.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS:

Any unauthorized modification of the released files is strictly prohibited without written permission by the author(s) except in the case of fair use for the purposes of learning. In those cases, the modified files can not be released to the public.
You are using these files at your own risk. 
Author(s) of these files are not liable for any damage or loss of data caused by usage of these files.

Usage of these files is also prohibited for any commercial purposes. This includes but is not limited to usage on monetized servers.

SUBSCRIBE ON STEAM HERE

• Like 9

Wonder how this work with the auto-vectoring that's in the current Dev build.

18 hours ago, MK84 said:

Wonder how this work with the auto-vectoring that's in the current Dev build.

Works perfectly!  :)  I've used the new commands to make this Mod.

Version 1.2 is now out.  Added support for Gomez's Harriers!  If you want your favorite VTOL aircraft added, let me know.

mod_VTOLControls.png?resize=300,300

• Like 1

@feint

Can you make another similar tool for remapping Eden keybindings?

They are mostly hardcoded and despite Bohemia has added ability to remap keys of camera movement it doesn't work (because if I will remap moving camera forward, i will open/close left panel instead).

I have intention to do it by mself, but you have experience and I will have to learn everything from the scratch.

@feint any chance this can be updated to be able to map to joystick/throttle controllers?

@feint

Once BI implements a command to measure VTOL angle percentage, I can probably eliminate the need for the Auto Vectoring button when using the F35.

MFDs are using "vtolvectoring" source to show the angle, and HUDs are using "vtolMode". Maybe that can somehow be used.

Once BI implements some way of checking if an aircraft is a VTOL aircraft such as "isVTOL", then I can make this work with all mods automatically.

There already is a way, all VTOL aircraft have to define "vtol" config entry. So you can just check that with "getNumber (configFile >> "CfgVehicles" >> typeOf (vehicle (call CBA_fnc_currentUnit)) >> "vtol") > 0".

(Use CBA_fnc_currentUnit for remote control compatibility.)

@RacerXNo it's not possible, Arma has no API for joystick/gamepad buttons, so there is nothing that can be done. However Feint's mod is using CBA keybinds, so as soon as that will be possible (if ever) you'll be able to. Until then, software for your joystick outside of Arma is basically the only way.

On 9/22/2017 at 3:55 PM, jonpas said:

@feint

MFDs are using "vtolvectoring" source to show the angle, and HUDs are using "vtolMode". Maybe that can somehow be used.

There already is a way, all VTOL aircraft have to define "vtol" config entry. So you can just check that with "getNumber (configFile >> "CfgVehicles" >> typeOf (vehicle (call CBA_fnc_currentUnit)) >> "vtol") > 0".

(Use CBA_fnc_currentUnit for remote control compatibility.)

@jonpasOh boy.  Thanks for the vtol config entry idea.  Good thinking!  Honestly, I just learned recently about that config entry.  I think I'll release a mod for all Harriers changing them over to the F35 model so you can control the vectoring while on the ground at zero speed.

I don't know how to get data from the vtolVectoring source.  Maybe I just have to use getNumber and follow the config path in the F35 since that's the only bird I need that info from.  Is that how you'd do it?

2 hours ago, Feint said:

I think I'll release a mod for all Harriers changing them over to the F35 model so you can control the vectoring while on the ground at zero speed.

Only aircraft with "airplaneX" simulation actually work properly with Arma 3's VTOL, so eg. CUP's Harrier (or F35 and whatever else VTOL there is) won't work properly. There is an issue on BI and CUP Feedback Trackers.

2 hours ago, Feint said:

I don't know how to get data from the vtolVectoring source.  Maybe I just have to use getNumber and follow the config path in the F35 since that's the only bird I need that info from.  Is that how you'd do it?

I am not sure really, I remember they added some MFD related commands recently.

Oh, thanks for telling me that the CUB Harriers and stuff don't use airplaneX.  Glad I didn't go down that road.  But that's disappointing.  I really wanted to fix the yaw rate of the Osprey though.  I hate how slow it turns in a hover.

Thanks again for the insights.  I gave you credit in my VTOL release on Steam.  :)

14 hours ago, Feint said:

Oh, thanks for telling me that the CUB Harriers and stuff don't use airplaneX.  Glad I didn't go down that road.  But that's disappointing.  I really wanted to fix the yaw rate of the Osprey though.  I hate how slow it turns in a hover.

Thanks again for the insights.  I gave you credit in my VTOL release on Steam.  :)

Yeah, wish PhysX in Arma 3 would come with proper documentation and good sample configuration...

No need man, but thanks!