Forxtop

Which way to prefer for optimization

Hello!

Until today, i made missions by sectoring them, with scripts wich spawn units by using commands likes createUnit or functions like spawnVehicle and spawnGroups. It's works pretty well.

But what about using others commands like hideObjectGlobal and EnableSimulationGlobal on the server side ? With all units already on the map at the initialisation ? 

Or maybe, i should use these two methods in combination ?

Thanks you!

To keep it as simple as possible, keep spawning them, and apply the new DyanmicSimulation?

HideObject(Global) alone won't help you much, you would have to turn of the AI as well.

Yes it seems to be a good method. But i did some tests on a dedicated server. I have around 250 units. I used hideobjectGlobal (true) AND enablesimulationGlobal (false) on all units, and it works pretty well. It almost like deleteVehicle (2/3 fps of difference). You said "you have to turn off the ai as well" but these commands do in fact, the same thing, no? I tried a disableAI "ALL" and i obtained around 1fps more on my server (i used #monitor). 

Dynamic Simulation is your best bet hands down, it's hard coded and it's an amazing solution to something that could go very wrong in game run time if you did it for yourself (that goes for anyone, I'm talking in general)

#monitor is used to track server fps not client fps.

You know, you can never dance away performance drops in some cases. So it's best you do what you can I suppose.

Oh, and if you really want to save on performance. Like squeeze the ever living shit out of the game in terms of performance.

Disabling FSM's on AI, albeit you'll need to enable them once the player gets back in range. But mainly that is the performance hit behind AI. 

Yes i know that monitor show the amount of fps on server. And it's why i looked it. I need to know when my mission is heavier or not :) You are right for dynamic simulation, in fact, i thought i could do the same thing easily but manually. With some tests, i didn't do a bad job. But i prefer the BIS method (more safe like you said ahah). So, I will keep to use the dynamic spawn + the dynamic simulation that i forgot. Thanks for all replies.

Just now, Forxtop said:

Yes i know that monitor show the amount of fps on server. And it's why i looked it. I need to know when my mission is heavier or not :) You are right for dynamic simulation, in fact, i thought i could do the same thing easily but manually. With some tests, i didn't do a bad job. But i prefer the BIS method (more safe like you said ahah). So, I will keep to use the dynamic spawn + the dynamic simulation. 

Yepper, hopefully all goes well. 

I use to script for spawning units (enemies, civilians) when one of the players is entering an area (triggers, markers on locations). I'm using also the BI simulation manager module (nothing to do with the new dynamic sim), not really documented but working fine to hide/show disable/enable sim on units along with players' distances. You can even skip that for named units or air assets. For me it's perfect and far more confident than the new dynamic simulation manager with plenty of crash tickets and weird behaviors as feedback. That doesn't mean I'll never change my mind if any improvement.

You can also delete your spawned units when players leave an area. I do that for civilian environment, without any tactical idea, just a life feed. It's not so accurate for enemies of course, as you don't want to "win" by leaving the area.

So, I simply recommend to test the "old" BI simulation manager module.

Hello!

Thanks for your awnser. I tried many things, even the simulation manager in some of my recents mission. I already clear the area, clear bodies, use the good tips in scripting ( https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Code_Optimisation ), script on server side the most of time etc... I was just hesitant about this two methods ahah 

Are there problems with dynamic simulation ? I just implement it in my current scenario.

2 hours ago, pierremgi said:

I use to script for spawning units (enemies, civilians) when one of the players is entering an area (triggers, markers on locations). I'm using also the BI simulation manager module (nothing to do with the new dynamic sim), not really documented but working fine to hide/show disable/enable sim on units along with players' distances. You can even skip that for named units or air assets. For me it's perfect and far more confident than the new dynamic simulation manager with plenty of crash tickets and weird behaviors as feedback. That doesn't mean I'll never change my mind if any improvement.

You can also delete your spawned units when players leave an area. I do that for civilian environment, without any tactical idea, just a life feed. It's not so accurate for enemies of course, as you don't want to "win" by leaving the area.

So, I simply recommend to test the "old" BI simulation manager module.

Documentation, versatility, custom implementation vs plug and play.

plug and pray! I like the way you can blow several times the same vehicle (each time a player reaches the dynamic sim area). Just as example.

1 minute ago, pierremgi said:

plug and pray! I like the way you can blow several times the same vehicle (each time a player reaches the dynamic sim area). Just as example.

Implentation quality is something you should also consider instead of looking at flaws and letting them remain flaws.

1 minute ago, Midnighters said:

Implentation quality is something you should also consider instead of looking at flaws and letting them remain flaws.

I already signaled that at BI forum and some others who are testing on dedicated server are still trying to find why they have crash along with this dynamic sym. Nothing evident to catch. So, thanks for your remark.

9 minutes ago, pierremgi said:

I already signaled that at BI forum and some others who are testing on dedicated server are still trying to find why they have crash along with this dynamic sym. Nothing evident to catch. So, thanks for your remark.

God forbid there is something wrong with something so newly released, which is conditional to some systems and doesnt apply to everyone. Why should i piss and shit on the system if i have one bad experience?

On 28/04/2017 at 11:00 AM, Midnighters said:

God forbid there is something wrong with something so newly released, which is conditional to some systems and doesnt apply to everyone. Why should i piss and shit on the system if i have one bad experience?

Nobody needs to "piss off" and "shit on" the system. You just could read I'm not using this new feature and I even specified "I can change my mind if any improvement".

I just don't like the way units are frozen instead of hidden and so on.... I do prefer the BI simulation manager module (it's a BI one). It's my choice and I regret to argue for that. This is not decent. So, why are you so conflictual with ideas different of yours? Did you read any crudeness like yours or any definitive sentence in my post?

Everybody is free to test and report. I let you the last word. You love that.