Varanon

Re-uploading mods on the workshop

This is really somewhat off-topic, and it might get deleted, I don't know. But I definitely have to get this off my chest.

The subject is people re-uploading existing mods to the workshop.

The arrogance that some people display is staggering. I've seen so many times that people re-upload a mod and add a "disclaimer" that whoever is the real author, if they don't want this to be re-uploaded, should tell them. 

That's NOT how it works. If you are re-uploading someone else's work, YOU HAVE TO ASK before re-uploading, not the other way around. 

And most of all, if the original Author asks you to take it down, you take it down. No "Why ?" or anything. It's none of your business why. 

• Like 27

If the mod is already on the workshop, why upload it again anyway? What's the point?

• Like 2

I've heard from such requesters that they want to be able to control the version of the mod in their 'mod pack'. I guess it's a limitation of steam workshop that collections do not control versions for the mods, this would help in this use case.

• Like 1

Agreed, it's ridiculous the abuse that goes on in the Workshop and you got to love those that contest the original authors when asked to take the upload down:

"Why?"

"Why!? Because I'm the original author and I fucking told you so, THAT'S WHY!" :D

Is it not done to facilitate online gaming? I mean, they load a few mods together in one single download so that those involved in the group can get just one complete package. Not sure, however.. 

• Like 4

Some folks think because it's publicly available, and free, that means they should be able to do what ever they like. For me the reasons authors give are irrelevant. If they don't want you messing with their stuff, that should be all there is to it. It's not a grey area.

• Like 1

I agree , people shouldn't be allowed to upload that stuff that they do not own 

Recently few guys uploaded my stuff into Steam workshop and also copied my disclaimer where it says clearly no steam upload LOL :sigh:

They don't care about our wishes , they care only about those free addons that can upload wherever they want just for their "community"

• Like 8

I, like the majority of addon makers, have no issues if people ask if they can host or add contents to mod packs, it's when they don't care, and behave like they're entitled to, simply because the addons are already public, it gives them carte blanche to add to their own mod packs...

Seek permission, and the majority of those creators will not object.

Act like a dick, and ignore courtesy, and you reap what you sow,

• Like 6

reports and community awareness helps ... 

• Like 5

Maybe I am missing something? What does it matter if someone uploads a mod to the Steam Workshop versus uploading it to any other host? Does Armaholic have to ask permission before uploading a released mod that they didn't create? What if someone uploads it to Google Drive or any other host? Why is it okay to host mods some places, but not others?

I completely understand that people shouldn't take credit for mods they didn't create and people shouldn't upload mods to ANY location the author specifically says not to, but I just don't understand the difference between the files being located on the Steam Workshop versus any other location.

I've never uploaded anything to the Steam Workshop, so please don't attack me. I'm just trying to understand why the Steam Workshop is treated differently than other hosts. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

I thought the issue is more about having the same file uploaded multiple times on the workshop. This can confuse players and keeping the mods up to date doesn't really work that well in such a case.

Other than that I completely agree-- there is no difference in uploading a mod to the workshop or google drive or any other service for as long as no monetization is in (well, except for some differences in license text of the service, which - up to this date - never had any influence on anyone, as far as I am aware).

1 hour ago, montgomery said:

Maybe I am missing something? What does it matter if someone uploads a mod to the Steam Workshop versus uploading it to any other host? Does Armaholic have to ask permission before uploading a released mod that they didn't create? What if someone uploads it to Google Drive or any other host? Why is it okay to host mods some places, but not others?

I completely understand that people shouldn't take credit for mods they didn't create and people shouldn't upload mods to ANY location the author specifically says not to, but I just don't understand the difference between the files being located on the Steam Workshop versus any other location.

I've never uploaded anything to the Steam Workshop, so please don't attack me. I'm just trying to understand why the Steam Workshop is treated differently than other hosts. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

The difference Monty, is that all of the mods uploaded to armaholic are done so by the creators, whereas the steam uploads are done by people who merely have downloaded said addons, and are uploading them, the majority of the time, without the original author.owners consent.

• Like 2

Steam Workshop is official mod hosting site. Something like a Google Drive is usually for personal usage. That's a big difference. Search in SW is already enough bad and having the same mod 100 times won't help things.

Mod makers can say that don't upload their mod in any other hosting sites just like they say they don't want to see it in SW. Hosting sites like Armaholic and PWS naturally then don't do that because they pick the mods that they host, not the other way around.

• Like 3

Today I've discovered the other side of the issue. Came home, booted Arma to continue making a mission I've been working on and found that the map (Fallujah) isn't there. Apparently it has been removed from Workshop for whatever reason (judging from a couple new "re-uploads") and someone at BI decided that it is an appropriate course of action to silently remove the content from players' PCs without even notifying them, let alone asking for permission.

Now I don't care whether the removal of Fallujah was justified or not, stay the fuck away from my PC, Bohemia. I'm the one who decides what stays and what gets thrown away on my HDD.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2017 at 11:38 AM, lexx said:

If the mod is already on the workshop, why upload it again anyway? What's the point?

even if the mod is NOT on the workshop, there is a real fucking reason why it isn't there in the first place.

short version: if the mod you are about to upload wasn't done by yourself, then don't upload it, no matter of the reasons such as "convenience" or "my friends are noobs".

16 minutes ago, semiconductor said:

...someone at BI decided that it is an appropriate course of action to silently remove the content from players' PCs without even notifying them, let alone asking for permission.

Now I don't care whether the removal of Fallujah was justified or not, stay the fuck away from my PC, Bohemia. I'm the one who decides what stays and what gets thrown away on my HDD.

are you for real, or just playing the retard card? no one from BI removed jack shit from your PC...BI removed content from SW, that content (or the lack of) was synced with your PC and that resulted in its removal. That is precisely how SW works, and the simple fact that you actually managed to word it in writting that you don't care if the removal was justified or not makes you the biggest self-entitled prick i have seen in a while.

• Like 18

Personally I dont have any mods uploaded on SW..but I do know its a pain in the ass to go through 10 different versions of something uploaded by 10 different people..I always go to where the authors uploads are. I just dont get the mentality of people..if it isnt yours dont upload..pretty simple to follow I think...it isnt rocket science.

@PuFu.."my friends are noobs"...that made me lol.

Diesel

• Like 1

14 hours ago, montgomery said:

from http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/ - in short, you need to OWN the Intellectual Property rights for the content you are uploading, so you need to be the original author

6. USER GENERATED CONTENT

D. Representations and Warranties

You represent and warrant to us that you have sufficient rights in all User Generated Content to grant Valve and other affected parties the licenses described under A. and B. above or in any license terms specific to the applicable Workshop-Enabled App or Workshop page. This includes, without limitation, any kind of intellectual property rights or other proprietary or personal rights affected by or included in the User Generated Content. In particular, with respect to Workshop Contributions, you represent and warrant that the Workshop Contribution was originally created by you (or, with respect to a Workshop Contribution to which others contributed besides you, by you and the other contributors, and in such case that you have the right to submit such Workshop Contribution on behalf of those other contributors).

You furthermore represent and warrant that the User Generated Content, your submission of that Content, and your granting of rights in that Content does not violate any applicable contract, law or regulation.

• Like 6

The fact that people are having difficulties comprehending its wrong to upload mods they don't own or haven't created perplexes me. Following that thought, for gamers who use a mod which wasn't posted by its maker, if or when its yanked down, there's really no room to be upset.

With the rogue uploading of mods getting to the point BI feels the need to bring some order to Steam's workshop, Armaholic has become a little harder to use through its limited search options meant to encourage monthly membership. Unless you pay $7 or $8 dollars a month, users need to catch updates and new mods as they're posted on the front page or use alphabetical sorting in the different categories of mods.

I guess its all coming together in a sort of perfect storm.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, PuFu said:

are you for real, or just playing the retard card?

Nah, if I wanted to play a retard card I would just pretend to be you, PuFu. You know, the guy who for years just can't get off his high horse thinking he's so righteous because he argues with everybody on particular forums in the Internet.

no one from BI removed jack shit from your PC...BI removed content from SW, that content

I don't really care what chain of events, technologies, network protocols or physical processes led to the removal of the content as long as it was initiated by BI.

not makes you the biggest self-entitled prick i have seen in a while.

Then go take a look in a mirror. It's been a while.

11 minutes ago, semiconductor said:

I don't really care what chain of events, technologies, network protocols or physical processes led to the removal of the content as long as it was initiated by BI.

How do you know it was BI? Maybe it was the Original Author who took the illegal upload down.

For my word on this topic:
I'm the maintainer of TFAR right now. If you take a look on Steam workshop and search for "Task Force Radio" You get dozens of Uploads called "Task Force Arrowhead Radio" and you have to look closely to find out which one is legit.

I'm actually completly fine with people reuploading it because they want to have a specific version in their Modpack. My Problem is just that they don't make it clear that it's not an official version.

They could even ask me If I could provide seperate Items for older versions so they can use it. I would do it right away.

• Like 3

Just curious Semiconductor? Taking your argument to the real world, if you bought a stolen car, you'd be upset at the tow truck driver or police for coming onto your driveway to take it back?

Because the mods are free, a true analogy would be a dude said it was his car and you could use it whenever you wanted and you borrowed it knowing it wasn't his car to lend in the first place. THEN you get upset when someone comes along and repossesses it for all the right reasons.

I'm not having a go or arguing, just trying to understand the logic.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dedmen said:

How do you know it was BI? Maybe it was the Original Author who took the illegal upload down.

Yeah, most likely it was the author but it's the Arma 3 Launcher which "updated" something. They could have shown a notification at least, even if just for courtesy's sake.

Right that's enough of the foul language and name calling, if forum members can't discuss this is an civilised and mature manner then they may find their forum rights are restricted.

I will now be reviewing this thread and handing out forum infractions as appropriate.

Final Warning 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, semiconductor said:

yep, you just demonstrated weren't playing any card...

14 minutes ago, Rich_R said:

Just curious Semiconductor? Taking your argument to the real world, if you bought a stolen car, you'd be upset at the tow truck driver or police for coming onto your driveway to take it back?

If I didn't know that the car is stolen? Yeah, and here where I live (and I think that in almost any country with Roman law-based law system) I would be a "bona fide" purchaser and therefore would have a law on my side.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that BI shouldn't do anything about illegal uploads but in the same time they shouldn't so blatantly affect the third party. I didn't and couldn't reasonably know that the upload was illegal, so why did BI had decided (taking the example to the real world) to dispatch a SWAT team to sturm my house with milsurp MRAPs just because I've bought in a good faith a rusty 1987 Toyota that was - unknowingly to me - stolen 10 years ago?