Sign in to follow this  
boozdeuvash

I need a mod that crashes 100% of the time

Hullo.

It's going to sound a little weird, but i need a mod that crashes the game 100% of the time when loaded.

It's for a canary within my group's mod set. We suspect a bunch of people to be a little careless with our modpack, and to always launch all mods while they should only launch a select collection through arma3sync. This causes problems, and i dislike problems. Since we cannot enable addon signatures because reasons, the plan is to place something in the whole lot that will prevent them from starting the game if they are not obeying instructions. (OBEY!!).

Ideally it would have to be small in size and inconspicuous (bland error message). I have no modding experience besides trivialities, anyone got an idea on how to achieve that?

Alternatively, if you have other suggestions for enforcing mod discipline (ORDER!!) in our little community, i'm all eyes.

• Like 1

Kind of seems like a moot point to post here, I'm sure many of them scan the forums frequently... I mean perhaps you can create a corrupted config within a PBO which could prevent the game from launching what you're requesting isn't impossible.

1 hour ago, boozdeuvash said:

Alternatively, if you have other suggestions for enforcing mod discipline (ORDER!!) in our little community, i'm all eyes.

Yes, bikey signature checking. I realise you said "reasons", but your best bet is to overcome those reasons.

It makes all the difference to server / client stability for a community group playing regular missions.

Following on from Apollo he is the sole reason 3CB has managed to have such successful operations. About 2 years ago we we through a stage of having regular crashes and unsuccessful operations. We went through a very rigorous process of going back to vanilla arma then slowly adding mods with bikeys. We are now where we are because of his and others hard work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you can't/won't use bikeys then ACE has a built in pbo checker, you could use that

Alternatively you could set up a second repo that only has the mods you want genpop to use (I'm assuming you have some admin/command/zeus only mods) and only give out that repo to people who shouln't have the extra stuff

22 hours ago, wendyvonbraun said:

Kind of seems like a moot point to post here, I'm sure many of them scan the forums frequently... I mean perhaps you can create a corrupted config within a PBO which could prevent the game from launching what you're requesting isn't impossible.

Well, if they do and start tanking care, our job is done, the people i'm talking about are mostly newcomers who don't yet appreciate the need to be careful.

I'll look into the ACE pbo checker, thanks. Can it log the warnings on the server too?

IIRC you can resign all pbo of all your addons with your community key. This is probably the best way to make sure everybody has the right addon in the right version.

Why are you using Arma3sync would be my question. Steam is far easier and easier to check whether people are using the right mods, plus auto update of mods. 

Easy answer why some groups use it is that mod makers sometimes break their mods and when you have 40+ players going to play an Op you need to control when you update so as to not run the risk of bad mod updates. In 3CB we only ever update mods on a weds night so everyone knows that they have time before our weekend op. We use to use play with six and had mod updated an hour before our op and because it happened almost automatically you then get different versions being run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/17/2017 at 5:02 AM, 1212PDMCDMPPM said:

IIRC you can resign all pbo of all your addons with your community key. This is probably the best way to make sure everybody has the right addon in the right version.

Yeah, that's what my group does and we never have a issue in the last 2 years. Though we also have our own program that signs, packs, distributes, launches and connects the user to the server with a single click on the server side and a single click on the client side.

Anyway, You can mass sign files using the BI Tools signature files.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Addon_Signatures

There's tutorials on Youtube as well...

The original FFIS will do it too, provided you're playing ArmA 3 version 1.3 or higher.

Firefight Improvement System. It's a shame because my community absolutely loved it.

Note that this game crashing and difficulty configuring mods are the primary reasons for newcomers losing interest or will to play.