higgins909

Are vehicles supposed to be realistic too?

Read a bit about the recent news on steam.  There is some dlc coming.  But towards the top it called arma a "realistic military fps" and just wondered how realistic it's supposed to be. ...Arma 3 has GTA physics when it comes that just about anything vehicle...

This might turn into a bit of a rant... but here it goes.

The inventory system needs to be changed from the bar to numbers and there needs to be a list of how much stuff weighs.... even vehicles that helicopters can lift.

Idk what it is, but tracked tank steering doesn't work with a controller, but works well with cars and wheel'd tanks.

Vehicles blowing up...  You can shoot a vehicle enough to make it look like it had a brick of c4 under it.

Had a truck crash into my heli... my heli blew up and everyone died, but the truck that rammed us was still in fairly good nick...

Vehicles don't drive quite right... like going up a hill they shift all wonky and stuff, or driving side to side vs straight up will have the same poor driving speed.

Vehicle brakes are terrible.

Everything is in metric.  I do and don't like this, for air reasons.

Air related:

Crash landings don't exist, water landings don't exist, landing gear must be down, or you explode like there is several bricks of c4 in your air vehicle.

Flight is in kmh and meters.  I find meters very annoying for vertical speed gauge because it's either too much or too little and it's had to get perfect on the little line...

Altimeter goes by air 2 ground, not air 2 sea... don't remember the term for that.  It's very annoying to fly in the mountains and you want to keep 200 meter above all, but the altimeter is all over the place.

The altimeter goes by air 2 ground also causes drones to fly like crap (The helicopter drone really flies like crap for whatever reason... don't let it fly itself...)

Rolling in planes and drone planes doesn't work correctly... Helicopters have it working pretty well... not sure why the planes don't.  When you roll, you're supposed to kinda turn and it doesn't really do it at all.

Planes love to try and stall and be very slow...  I don't know what it is, but I'll be going fast and holding shift and go into the map for a moment and I'm about to stall out...

Planes don't care about throttle input from joystick.  You're giving it full throttle with the joystick and it's going slow... hold shift and it kinda takes off.

This is for both plane and heli.  When you go to slow down it takes FOREVER.  I remember trying to land a drone plane and it would actually speed up.  Heli's you'll be giving it 0 throttle and it's only slowing down like you're giving 50% throttle.

Helicopters drift randomly and you can't really counter it.  I'll be drifting say right and I'll be flat and roll left and there is no difference, then I roll a bit more left and then it takes off left...

Holding altitude with a helicopter is hard because the altimeter goes by air 2 ground and the vertical speed gauge is in meters and is insensitive to smaller vertical movements.

Drone interface isn't really good.  Like setting waypoints is a hassle to chose the options over and over for each new waypoint.

The automatic Vtol system in the blackfish and xi' an is horrible.  It contributes to slow landings and slow takeoffs.  Arma 2 mv-22 had this down, if I remember right.

Wish fuel gauges were in gallons.

Reminds me that most of the gauges in aircraft are actually pointless and just false eyecandy.  Every aircraft should have a air 2 air altimeter, attitude indicator, heading indicator, vertical speed indicator in feet or a meter gauge with .5 meters, fuel, torque, rpm.  (These last 4 are especially important for helicopters).

How realistic is arma 3 supposed to be when they got all of this wrong?

You are just going to have to fly DCS (or BMS for the F16C) if you want a realistic military flight experience with accurate gauges, flight models, weapons, damage, proper comms with wingmen, elements, tower, and avionics etc.  Flying the Huey slick or the A10C Warthog in DCS is a life changing experience.  The startup procedures alone takes 10-15 minutes, and that's just the startup prior to taxi.  It's a whole different ball of wax than what ARMA can provide.  You want proper AGL or ASL, radio navigation, comms, ground speed vs air speed, impact computations on your on-board fire control radar, high fidelity flight models - you'll not get it here. 

Anyhow, stick to ground pounding in ARMA 3, it's what ARMA excels at - it's no where near a flight sim.  Not even close and never will be.

Good day,

DrDetroit

• Like 2

13 hours ago, higgins909 said:

It supposed to be exactly 37.184369918735477910235684132198984189129581651638435435814% realistic. Hope that helps..

• Like 1

Some of the issues you've mentioned might be related to joystick calibration and keybinding. 

Try to open the windows controller maneger and check that your stick is centered. 

After that, hop in the Comanche helicopter and see if your throttle range is from 0 to 100% in the HUD

If it does, check that your jet controlls are the same as your helicopter controlls. 

I'm personally bind the jet positive throttle axis to the stick's throttle and the negative to an "air brake" button. 

On 3/25/2017 at 6:55 PM, higgins909 said:

Its not, but it's become the myth/stereotype in video games. If it were on a scale from unrealistic to realistic it'd be(according to the internet)  CoD --- Squad/BF --- Arma. When in reality, aside from the ballistics and advanced helicopters, Arma has very little realism going for it. Authentic is probably as close as you're gonna get really..

Of all those things, I really hope they can get rid of the Air 2 Ground thing, and make it Air 2 Sea so the Ai can fucking fly properly FFS.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chompster said:

Of all those things, I really hope they can get rid of the Air 2 Ground thing, and make it Air 2 Sea so the Ai can fucking fly properly FFS.

OMG YES!!!  I once spawned like 50 planes in the air and they pretty much all crashed into each other.