target_practice

Arma 3 module documentation.

The BIKI could really do with at least some documentation on each of the vanilla modules.

Having played around with some of them, its quite surprising how much can be achieved without any custom scripting.

However since there is no documentation for most of these modules I had to find out what a lot of them did purely through trial and error.

As an additional question, I recall that the 2D editor had brief ingame descriptions for some modules and entities, but these aren't present in Eden for some reason?

EDIT: I think I should also add that, beyond a lack of documentation, some of the modules haven't been updated to account for new features and content, and some are simply broken. (such as the Zone Restriction module.)

• Like 3

Yes. +1000. BIS is poor in Official Documentation. For a game/sim that has a bit of a learning curve, they need to put a little more into the Docs, Tutorials, and other Official Resources. My 2¢.

• Like 2

For as many people as they are hiring on. Why don't they have just one person dedicated to document things? Dunno. 

• Like 3

I vote for selling a printed book with all the game engines information for modding scripting editing. Maybe doing some profit for the documentation will encourage them to do it.

• Like 1

I don't think making some kind of printed documentation would be a good idea.

You can't update everyone's copy to accommodate for changes and additions like you can with an online wiki.

You can read the wiki while having the game on the screen; its called using the Steam overlay, a second monitor, or a separate device like a tablet.

And the reason why things like a tactical guide are feasible as printed material is because fundamental gameplay (which in turn is based on real world concepts which don't change for a long time, if at all) do not change as much as things like new tools and script commands.

Its true that some things in that guide will probably be a bit out of date by now with all the updates Arma has received, but the information within still remains correct and relevant long enough to justify putting it to print.