reyhard

Jets - HUD improvements

Gryphon's HUD is quite hard to see through compared to other aircraft. Not sure if that is intended or not.

• Like 2

On 24/03/2017 at 3:00 PM, eriktrak said:

Created this video to demonstrate the upgraded HMD for the current helicopters.

Really nice flying with the Kajman !

The Orca black and white only has DARs but the regular version has DAGRs for future reference.

2 hours ago, peegee said:

Gryphon's HUD is quite hard to see through compared to other aircraft. Not sure if that is intended or not.

Agreed. Also found it tough.  

• Like 1

I kinda question why there are being changes like this being made, when all the aircraft fly like crap/unrealistically... (That's one long rant/list of things that are wrong and not been fixed)

First off make it so you can turn the HUD off, it's not very fun flying around with it constantly on.  (Sigh... another addaction to add to the clutter of addactions)

If it gets a altimeter, give it one that's in feet and AAS not AAG.

Vertical speed guage.  The ones in meters are insensitive and that makes them useless for maintaining altitude or going in for a nice landing.

I find what is already there fine tho.... Besides it always being on and too bright at times.

In reality, most of this needs to be made into the cockpit of the aircraft and not the HUD or not just the HUD.  Could also use a brightness of the HUD, along side of the HUD on/off.

Anyone else having issues locking targets? Despite having clear radar detection on a target and a 'blip' appear on HUD, whacking the lock keys does not always work, very inconsistent right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hyzoran said:

Anyone else having issues locking targets? Despite having clear radar detection on a target and a 'blip' appear on HUD, whacking the lock keys does not always work, very inconsistent right now. 

Could you please pm me more details? (your vehicle, target vehicle, loadout, target below/above horizon, distance...)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oukej said:

Could you please pm me more details? (your vehicle, target vehicle, loadout, target below/above horizon, distance...)

Could the weapon he was using also have been an issue?  For example I can only seem to get the Macer to lock on if the target is within visual sensor range.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hyzoran said:

Sort of yeah, but it's mainly because the radar blips on the HUD/HAD are so small, it's ends up being harder to see, which contributes to locking problems. Though, if your referring to locking jets like the Shikra, I've noticed the AI diving to low altitude and then vanishing from radar, if that helps.

Gryphon HUD problem:

Flight path marker/velocity vector does not line up with artificial horizon when in level flight. I think the artificial horizon is sitting too low.

On 14/04/2017 at 10:51 PM, peegee said:

I agree 100%  the green hud complicates things for the pilot instead of make it easier to fly and see. Hopefully this will be changed or at least give us the option to change color or something .

• Like 1

I think if we are patient and we are wait for devs to respond in regards to question they might tell us situation. They have plenty of

work on their plates I'm sure of it.

49 minutes ago, Rick “Kermit” Roll said:

Are we going to get afterburner or not? I can see some sneaky salty mod keep deleting reasonable questions. Is this a communist forum? 

I will buy a beer to the first mod that bans you, that's for sure ;)

• Like 3

I can agree the hud is a bit hard to use in certain situations. Right now, the targets that show up on radar displayed on the Hud are quite small. Super small. It would be nice if those little dots were maybe twice the size. Not too big, but just a tad bit bigger. Also for the Black Wasp II, the Hmd isn't picking up contact where you look. The helmet should allow you to see 360, but it only picks up targets to your front, no matter which way you look. I can look left, and the dots are all still on my screen. Though, i'm not sure if this is synced with only the Radar, then it would make sense.

Flight path marker should be independent of where the pilot is looking.  Right now the HMD acts like a standard glass HUD that follows the pilot's view and is only accurate when facing straight forward.

Also +1 for the comment earlier about flight path markers not lining up with the artificial horizon

Finally, some kind of marker on the HMD that shows a point which indicates where the plane itself is facing would be nice.  You can tell where its facing when you have the gun selected, but otherwise you have no other marker showing the exact point the plane is facing

Gryphon's HUD is difficult to see through as mentioned earlier. Also, a small thing: flap indicator for landing and takeoff settings appears reversed. (takeoff setting labled as landing, landing setting labled as takeoff)

Shikra's anti collision indicator light blinks with the anti-collision lights

Edited by agent556
added video and comments
  • Like 3

1)  HUDs for all aircraft should have TGP area lock point shown.  Currently only see this on wipeout (dashed circle).

2) When TGP aim point / area lock point is out of FOV of HUD, there should be an indicator (on heading tape?) on which way to steer to align TGP aim point / area lock point with FOV of HUD.   Similar to how a steer point or waypoint would be handled when out of FOV of HUD.

Thx

• Like 3

Already got down n dirty with the HUD improvements and so far I'm impressed on the ammount of stuff that has been added. I especially like the NeverEatSeaWeed feature :eyeheart:.

I noticed a lot of stuff can be improved in the FA181 HMD, like having the climb ladder and flight path marker (FPM/TVV) latched to the forward postion, much like the F-35's HMD. I'm sure this stuff will be improved in time, no worries.

I'm still trying to get around the mathematical  conditions for group classes.

Example from the Kajman HUD:

class AltGroup
                    {
                        condition = "1000 - altitudeAGL";

Is this saying that it will be displayed until the AGL altitude reaches 1000m?

Can I combine multiple mathematical conditions?

Also, can I use child classes with conditions? Like this example:

class Draw
{
    class AGM_Lock
    {
        condition="ATmissile";
        type="group";
        class LockBox
        {
            condition="missilelocked";
            type="group";
            class Circle
            {
                type = "line";
                width = 2.0;
                points[] = 
                {
                    {"Target2View",{ -0.075,-0.075 },1 },
                    {"Target2View",{ 0.075,-0.075 },1 },
                    {"Target2View",{ 0.075,0.075 },1 },
                    {"Target2View",{ -0.075,0.075 },1 },
                    {"Target2View",{ -0.075,-0.075 },1 }
                };
            };
        };
    };
};

9 hours ago, CANADAVE said:

1)  HUDs for all aircraft should have TGP area lock point shown.  Currently only see this on wipeout (dashed circle).

2) When TGP aim point / area lock point is out of FOV of HUD, there should be an indicator (on heading tape?) on which way to steer to align TGP aim point / area lock point with FOV of HUD.   Similar to how a steer point or waypoint would be handled when out of FOV of HUD.

Thx

ad 1) As far as I remember all jets (maybe except buzzard - not sure if it landed on devbranch on before Easter) should have TGP indicator. On To-199 & 201 it's cross marker & it's inspired by HUD from Yak-130

ad 2) I was thinking about that before but I didn't have time to experiment with that to be honest. I really don't want to clutter HUD to much information & TGP marker is kind of source which is always visible. Heading tape idea seems interesting though so I will try to give it a shot.

4 hours ago, kimi_uy said:

Is this saying that it will be displayed until the AGL altitude reaches 1000m?

Can I combine multiple mathematical conditions?

Group is visible when value in condition box is above 1.

For example, on To-199 I've used condition = "2 - (rockets + mgun)*impactDistance";

Translation to human language: impact point marker will be only visible when you have selected either rockets or machine gun & impact distance is above or equal 3 meters (in case of invalid return - i.e. when you are looking into the sky - impact distance will return 0).

From what I recall, you can for sure use all mathematical operators & factor thing. There was something more but I don't remember now. It's worth to keep in mind that those condition are evaluated very frequently so it's better to keep them simple for sake of performance.

As for that question with stacked groups - yes, it's possible to use group inside group with separate condition, although I think it would be better to use "missileLocked + ATMissile - 1"

btw: anyone noticed MFD screen for dynamic loadouts on A-164? There are some more things that were updated recently and I will try to make some post tomorrow with summary of new MFD sources that were introduced & things which were updated on planes HUDs.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, reyhard said:

ad 1) As far as I remember all jets (maybe except buzzard - not sure if it landed on devbranch on before Easter) should have TGP indicator. On To-199 & 201 it's cross marker & it's inspired by HUD from Yak-130

I checked all new aircraft and only saw the TGP indicator on the Wipeout.  I will try again to be sure.  If not good to hear it is planned / in process.

ad 2) I was thinking about that before but I didn't have time to experiment with that to be honest. I really don't want to clutter HUD to much information & TGP marker is kind of source which is always visible. Heading tape idea seems interesting though so I will try to give it a shot.

The only reason I suggested the heading tape marker was because I noticed that the TGP marker disappeared from HUD once the aircraft turned away from the area locked point.  If the TGP marker is intended to be shown at the side of the HUD when turned away from the lock point then the heading tape marker would be redundant and not necessary (but currently I don't think that is working).

Note - I will have to check dev branch but the above may be working when the TGP has a valid target locked (ground unit / object).  The important missing piece is when the TGP is area locked without (necessarily) a valid ground object locked. 

thanks!

I will try to make some post tomorrow with summary of new MFD sources that were introduced & things which were updated on planes HUDs.

A summary of everything you've added to HUDs and MFDs! Yes please an all in one place to find info <3 

• Like 2

Thanks!

10 hours ago, reyhard said:

btw: anyone noticed MFD screen for dynamic loadouts on A-164? There are some more things that were updated recently and I will try to make some post tomorrow with summary of new MFD sources that were introduced & things which were updated on planes HUDs.

I noticed it changes depending on the loadout but they're almost unreadable.

If conditions are still being defined, it'd be awesome to have an action to turn the HMD on. (And a numeric source for lateral speed :p)

On 4/16/2017 at 5:56 AM, nikiforos said:

I agree 100%  the green hud complicates things for the pilot instead of make it easier to fly and see. Hopefully this will be changed or at least give us the option to change color or something .

I like the green, it's just the size of some icons for me. That green gives it a... mean look.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/80345569854288650/7049BEDB19F24002C3D932B8B16FE26025BD0FB6/

But actually, alot of the Hud's ive seen IRL have this green tint, at least modern aircraft like the Gripen.

27 minutes ago, darksidesixofficial said:

I like the green, it's just the size of some icons for me. That green gives it a... mean look.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/80345569854288650/7049BEDB19F24002C3D932B8B16FE26025BD0FB6/

But actually, alot of the Hud's ive seen IRL have this green tint, at least modern aircraft like the Gripen.

What you see from that angle is nothing what it looks like from the pilots perspective. The green tint on devbranch looks very unrealistic and does indeed make the HUD much harder to use than it should be.

22 minutes ago, Brisse said:

What you see from that angle is nothing what it looks like from the pilots perspective. The green tint on devbranch looks very unrealistic and does indeed make the HUD much harder to use than it should be.

You are 100% right. 

It may look green from the front, but from the pilot's seat it usually looks like this:

54a57cc91b336ef3dac343aad750a055.jpg

If you turn up the HUD brightness, you will actually start seeing a large green sphere that encompasses all the symbology. This is the HUD projector light bulb emitting light at full power. Only useful where the ambient light is very intense.

You can see this effect in the image below:

hud.jpg

• Like 3

Agreed, in the viewPilot LOD, the glass panel of the Gryphon HUD is sometimes very difficult to see through.

I'm not sure that it's a matter of the green tint to the texture and how that might affect colour contrast of objects observed through the HUD or the strength of the green-tinted env-map. But more likely that it's just too opaque and the alpha channel needs darkening.

Might be sensible to make the _ca texture dark in greyscale and quite transparent. And tint it more subtly with the env map/fresnel. Or like appears to be done on the Shikra using the specular[] colourspace

• Like 1

I agree. They got the outside part perfect, but the inside needs to be glass clear somehow while keeping that green glare on the outside.

On another note, i like how the Black Wasp II shoots one flare instead of two off to the side. The Gryphon should also do this.

Hungary%20Gripen.jpg

But, the Neophran's flares shoot back instead of up or down. The flares on the Neophran, based on the Yak-130, should fire it's flares more upwards.

• Like 1