reyhard

Jets - HUD improvements

Created this video to demonstrate the upgraded HMD for the current helicopters.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, OlegAckbar said:

Add, please, some cross or point in the middle of Neophron sights. Now it's very difficult to aim through this, because I don't see where I'll shoot when locking target.

QFmA9aZ.jpg

I believe it is a normal feature for most military jets to have a so-called "boresight cross". It is a small crosshair that shows the pilot where the gun, and usually the nose, sensors and etc are pointing when in their center position.

The F-16, for instance, has it in the very top of the HUD :) It is referred to as the "gun cross" in the picture below :)

hud_schematic.jpg

• Like 2

While I think the HUD upgrades are excellent all around, I don't think removing anything from non helmet display is a good idea, especially for people who want to fly around like this

https://i.imgur.com/y0ZZaw0.gifv

which is in just about every flight game.

21 minutes ago, driftingnitro said:

While I think the HUD upgrades are excellent all around, I don't think removing anything from non helmet display is a good idea, especially for people who want to fly around like this

https://i.imgur.com/y0ZZaw0.gifv

which is in just about every flight game.

Let's not actually turns this into Ace Combat shall We? Different games exist for that very reason. This is Arma. Let's keep it that way, and improve on what we can. I would not like to have people flying around in 3rd person with every benefit to being first person. There's a reason when your 3rd person as infantry, and you aim, it still brings you to first person to look down your scope. It should be the same thing here. 3rd person should be a situational awareness thing.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, darksidesixofficial said:

Let's not actually turns this into Ace Combat shall We? Different games exist for that very reason. This is Arma. Let's keep it that way, and improve on what we can. I would not like to have people flying around in 3rd person with every benefit to being first person. There's a reason when your 3rd person as infantry, and you aim, it still brings you to first person to look down your scope. It should be the same thing here. 3rd person should be a situational awareness thing.

It wouldn't be ace combat without 98 missiles, unlimited fuel, and pull 12 Gs. I think having altitude, airspeed, and other info on the HMD is neat (in fact in terms of damage simulation you could hide that information when your avionics get damaged just like in the hmd) but I wanted to make sure people don't go for scrapping a lot of the hud as is because it's in two places. If first person should be use primarily to aim (which is fine) then there needs to be an easier way other than constantly pressing the button to change views, orient your view facing forward, line it up, and then fire. For infantry it's easy because one button to aim does all of that. 

I would love it if you made the huds colorable this time around.  Depending on the time of day, you sometimes can't see anything with the default color.  Most flight sims I flew in the past had a way to colour the hud from green to red to black.  Depending on the flight situation that helped flying the jet.  

So please give us the option to color the hud dynamically inflight !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, celludriel said:

Most flight sims I flew in the past had a way to colour the hud from green to red to black.  Depending on the flight situation that helped flying the jet.  

So please give us the option to color the hud dynamically inflight !

This sounds a little arcade-ish to me. That would require installing an entirely different hud projector in real life, all for the sake of color.

To deal with this issue IRL pilots may usually select brightness to suit their needs. With brightness set to max the hud symbology is really intense and glowing. This generally becomes a problem only when facing the sun or diving at a snowy area. Flying into the sun has always been a tactical maneuver to disorient enemies, no?

Sunglasses/visors mandatory!

3 hours ago, Strike_NOR said:

This sounds a little arcade-ish to me. That would require installing an entirely different hud projector in real life, all for the sake of color.

To deal with this issue IRL pilots may usually select brightness to suit their needs. With brightness set to max the hud symbology is really intense and glowing. This generally becomes a problem only when facing the sun or diving at a snowy area. Flying into the sun has always been a tactical maneuver to disorient enemies, no?

Sunglasses/visors mandatory!

Well the reason why it is green in real life is because pilots need to have 10/10 vision and they can read green in all circumstances.  Us gamers on the other hand don't have 10/10 vision most of the time.  In order to keep the games fun, we use other colors that our vision allows us to see and keep the games fun.  I for one do not like flying into a blue sky, and not see any of my hud information and like it to be red or black to distinguis the green from the blue.

So arcade-ish ... maybe, but it keeps it more fun for most of us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, celludriel said:

Well the reason why it is green in real life is because pilots need to have 10/10 vision and they can read green in all circumstances.  Us gamers on the other hand don't have 10/10 vision most of the time.  In order to keep the games fun, we use other colors that our vision allows us to see and keep the games fun.  I for one do not like flying into a blue sky, and not see any of my hud information and like it to be red or black to distinguis the green from the blue.

So arcade-ish ... maybe, but it keeps it more fun for most of us.

I'm sorry sir, but I'm going to have to ask you to hand over your ArmA 3 pilots license. I'll keep it in my custody until your vision has been re-evaluated.

Of course I'm joking. To be honest I hadn't thought about issues for people without 10/10 vision. Maybe thay can include some option that overrides the ingame hud colors? Who knows!

Green-blue colourblindness is a thing right?

An option to set the hud colour to different colours would probably help a lot. Could be a config option because a player would set it once (or if hard-core once a mission), so no new keybindings required.

Ideally one could choose the colour similar to the inteface colours verry freely, but it probably would help a lot even if there would be just 2 options (green and orange for example)

A step zoom-in feature should be introduced in when being a pilot. Currently when act as a pilot and press + button (num pad), your view will directly magnify to max level.

Edited by HBAOplus

On 3/30/2017 at 6:03 AM, iratus said:

Green-blue colourblindness is a thing right?

An option to set the hud colour to different colours would probably help a lot. Could be a config option because a player would set it once (or if hard-core once a mission), so no new keybindings required.

Ideally one could choose the colour similar to the inteface colours verry freely, but it probably would help a lot even if there would be just 2 options (green and orange for example)

Sure but that is not as much a HUD function as much as a general game function.

Agreed. They could implement a "colorblind mode" that would change the UI and HUD colors around. It shouldn't be adjustable on the fly.

On 5.4.2017 at 7:56 AM, nodunit said:

Sure but that is not as much a HUD function as much as a general game function.

I know. A lot of people here want it to be a in-game thing wich is changeable on the fly (pun not intended) and I certainly would not oppose this! But BIS probably does not want to add new keybindings and such if not absolutely necessary. This is in the same teritory as having adjustable NVGs and FLIRs: We all want them but we don't get them. And if they add the option to change the colour of the (plane)HUD, the next thing we all are going to shout for will be the option to adjust the brightness of said HUD :f:

As I said: I'm not against it being a HUD function of the plane, but I think the chances are higher to get it as a general game function in the options menue. We are allready able to chance all the colours of the game-HUD, optimally it would be just an additional setting there with full colourcustomizability. But I would already be happy with a few predefined options.

I think BI could pull something like an easter egg. Add little functions into a 3d interactive space within the interior of the aircraft. Animate one button that changes the Hud color and brightness. Just look at the switch and press an action key or something like that.

• Like 2

@darksidesixofficial Interesting idea for a DLC

Edited by igu@na
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, darksidesixofficial said:

I think BI could pull something like an easter egg. Add little functions into a 3d interactive space within the interior of the aircraft. Animate one button that changes the Hud color and brightness. Just look at the switch and press an action key or something like that.

That would be awesome - would open up more mods to the "SIM Style" interactive cockpits too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Flax said:

That would be awesome - would open up more mods to the "SIM Style" interactive cockpits too.

Did you know there are already at least two mods that feature clickable cockpits? The AH-64 by NodUnit and Franze, and an A-10C mod by Peral.

It can be done, but adds a ton of more work and customization to each jet, since no cockpit is identical.

Of course it requires work, but if BIS added in an easy way to implement it (something like TOH cockpit interaction), it'd be much less of a problem. MFDs, in particular, could be standardized in case someone doesn't feel like implementing DCS-level cockpit simulation, but still want interactable and useful cockpits.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Strike_NOR said:

Did you know there are already at least two mods that feature clickable cockpits? The AH-64 by NodUnit and Franze, and an A-10C mod by Peral.

It can be done, but adds a ton of more work and customization to each jet, since no cockpit is identical.

Yes, as dragon01 mentions it is possible and has been done but not by BIS -  as with a load of features done by modders then done by BIS it just brings it to a wider audience.

A suggestion for the new helo HUDs. I think it would make more sense to place the torque % cue and sink/climb rate value right next to each other. These two values are the most important ones when flying with AFM and having to constantly switch from one side of the HUD to the other and back distracts too much. Probably best would to place both on the side of the elevation ladder. Torque is no real indicator of forward speed anyway but is vital to see on a glance together with the sink rate to know how much 'leverage' towards more lift you have left.

On 5.04.2017 at 7:20 AM, HBAOplus said:

A step zoom-in feature should be introduced in when being a pilot. Currently when act as a pilot and press + button (num pad), your view will directly magnify to max level.

Missed that earlier, that would be great to have, even now that speed-based zoomout is gone. Basically, adjustable FOV when flying. DCS already does that, for example.