Here is my newest minimod.

This time I messed around with the aircraft configs in order to make them less of deathtraps. After many hours of trials I found out that all you really need to do is to lower the explosionShielding (to 0.5 from 10~20) on the main config part (NOT the hitpoints). The result is this: helicopters and planes can take more hits from AA fire and not turn into giant fireball right away, while the modules (engine etc.) do get damaged and destroyed. In the end aircraft are destroyed by crashing down rather than by fire. It is still possible to destroy the aircraft with gunfire or explosive, but they are more resilient to this, but their modules will get damaged, with will knock the craft out and cause AI to bail. It also gives you a chance and time to eject.

I also zeroed out epeImpulseDamageCoef with in stops the crashing from being a death sentence. If you are lucky and don't hit anything during the crash, the chances are the helicopter wont explode and you will survive the crash (helo will still get damaged modules). It's pretty random though, but least its no longer a certain death sentence.
In combination with above: I changed the crewCrashProtection, so the crew is more likely to get injured during the crash.

Note that these are incredibly simple config tweaks, so different aircraft might behave differently. I edited the base classes so all vanilla aircraft as well as many modded ones (pretty much all of CUP) are affected.

Features:

* lower explosionShielding so aircraft take less damage from AA fire

* modules still take damage as normal, so aircraft still crash

* zeroed out epeImpulseDamageCoef so it is possible to survive a crash

* crewCrashProtection changed so it is more likely for the crew to get injured during a crash

* simple base config edit with affects a lot of modded aircraft without the need for compatibility patches

Known Issues:

Might lead to some odd behaviour of the aircraft under fire (might not get damaged as much as it should), but it usually works pretty well. Let me know how stuff behaves with this mod on

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8hgnsz2j7ngsmsy/%40less_explody_aircraft.zip

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like a great mod. I'll have to check it out :)

Looks good is there a video to show it off?? 

Also would be awesome if RHS helicopters are affected aswell.

It says he edited the vanilla base classes. If RHS inherits from those, then they are probably affected.

• Like 1

Would it be somehow possible to remove the "Helicopter falls on rotor = Instant Explosion" thing? That is one thing that bugs me with Arma Helicopter!

8 hours ago, jordanbache97 said:

Looks good is there a video to show it off?? 

Also would be awesome if RHS helicopters are affected aswell.

Works with RHS (at least for all the helicopters and planes I checked). They did change epeImpulseDamageCoef for the planes however. Not a big deal though.

2 hours ago, Moon_chilD said:

Would it be somehow possible to remove the "Helicopter falls on rotor = Instant Explosion" thing? That is one thing that bugs me with Arma Helicopter!

I'm afraid its pretty deep problem. I think it could be solved by adding land contact points around the helicopter, but that would require editing models and I'm not sure if this would solve the issue, or create host of new ones.

Showcase video is up!

• Like 3

Briliant.

Finally less Michael Bay and more auto-rotations.

Any chance you could upload it to Steam Workshop?

19 hours ago, taro8 said:

I'm afraid its pretty deep problem. I think it could be solved by adding land contact points around the helicopter, but that would require editing models and I'm not sure if this would solve the issue, or create host of new ones.

Showcase video is up!

I have tried evergthinflg as far as I know in our Apache. how would you thing it can be solved? I cant find a clue in the model.