Sign in to follow this  
dlegion

the ARMAIII needed fix DLC

ARMAIII needed fix DLC  

10 members have voted

1. 1. would you buy an ARMAIII needed fix DLC containing all needed fixes once for all (list to be defined) ?

• no.
    • yes, i would buy it.

the ARMAIII  needed fix DLC :

PLEASE, before pool, read all the post! (you can skip hidden content if you already know the story...)

hi all guys!
i really wish to know if its just me or there are others really pissed off
by the lack of many ARMAIII essential features and bugged existing ones, like:

Spoiler

HIDDEN CONTENT

some examples in random order:
- explosive placement is obsolete!! the same as 2001 OFP!! you cant attach C4 to objects/vehicles, cannot use explosives underwater!
  cannot trigger a specific explosive, or use a specific detonator! terrible unrealism, you can bury a APERS mine in solid concrete floor, tripwire should be hand moved/placed, and Claymore has it.
- hand grenades cannot be aimed, cannot set launch force or floor roll, cannot be "cooked", cannot be picked up and relaunched (especially useful with smokes),
- underwater cannot open inventory (ok for some waterproof-needing bagged items, but not for all), cannot shoot your weapons (yes in real life you can shoot it, but the point is being able to shoot it swimming from surface),
- you cant carry/drag/drop objects and injured players (very useful to build things, like a ramp to reach an elevated object for example, or save an injured player dragging him to safety)
- ridicolous medical system. seriously...get a look at ACE3 and cry. hearth rate, blood level and pressure, and much more.
- enhanced movements like climbing and jumping would improve realism, afterall a small wall 1 meter in height doesnt stop a soldier, right ?
- faction-locked uniforms....its ok unless they have the same stats. and they dont. and "hitman style" players love to switch uniforms, so at least make it selectable by mission!
- H.A.L.O. jumps have beein introduced, but no belly bag, no need of oxygen masks, no aircraft to perform it. bad bad bad.
- weather is big part of this game, but wind is not present or at least doesnt affect bullets even during a storm. sad.
- walking on many common objects, like rocks, can get you glitch/bugged/killed. you cant walk on many objects, example: submarine deck. its simply absurd.
- you cant walk on vehicles, like tanks. its just not realistic that you cannot climb and sit on a tank or similar vehicle, both static or moving.
- ladders should let you hold yourselfwith 1 hand and use other hand to hold a pistol or a medium-light rifle.
- loadout is force-limited to 1 rifle, 1 handgun, 1 rocket launcher. well, why i should not be able to carry 2 handguns or 2 rifles? i've two shoulders afterall, plus i have backpacks (features actually present but limited to certain rifles)
- vehicle respawn is still so bugged that everyone uses its own custom script.
- no selectable ambient life. there should be a simple module to add any side/unit/animal spawning randomly in selectable areas like forests/towns/military ecc.. and de-spawning it dinamically at certain players distance
- same for traffic on roads, should be exactly the same.  same for air traffic!
- flares does not work. missile lock is really "weird" at best.
- aircraft are missing so many features and have so many unrealistic ones, that i dont know where to start. and people asks for carrier operations since 2001.
- helicopter crash are never survivable.
- land vehicles have strange driving behaviour.
- AI driving behaviour is just crazy. put 2 vehicle on the same road, and 70% of times you get a fun car accident!
- zeus features miss many vital things (like ones added by ARES mod, player teleport, add every map object to zeus and hundreds more).
- helicopter fastroping, its pretty important, come on.
- generic ambient interaction, hand signs, and other forms of visual or phisical interaction with players and world.
- shoulder missile launchers are pretty unrealistic. for example, TITAN doesnt exist, but it mimic a real launcher, so plz use also real parameters and locking systems!
- vehicles lock! be safe, close your car before leave it! eh!
- anyone heard about G-force while in aircrafts ? noone ?
- shooting a full mag of a 7.62x51mm in a room, should make you deaf. seriously.
- repacking used magazines on the field is not fun, but necessary!
- scopes can be adjuste in elevation and windage, in a very dirrerent way from actual PGUP/PGDOWN ranging system, and maybe using a rangecard.
- female models.
- snow environment.

...and many, many other features/bugs not listed here.

END HIDDEN CONTENT

considering that the community has already solved ALL this problems with just addons and scripts, in fact literally "beating BIS at theyr own game".
and despite its a constant fight to keep this mods updated with every new game patch. (applause to modders, NOW).
now my point is this: for singleplayer its easy, install mods and live happy.
BUT for multiplayer its another story, because you force other players to download EVERY single mod needed
to fix every single bugged feature or missing feature. and thats tragic, because:
- it limits and split the player base (to the point that every mod you have decrease drastically the chance that a player will join your server)
- it force to "reinvent the wheel" constantly too (by merging mods togheter and keep them updated with new game patches)!
- last and very important reason is that players doenst have a default single, solid, and well-working game where develop good missions and PLAY, without worry about basic features and wasting huge time re-fixing them!
now, after 16 years from OFP its clear that BIS are for some unclear reason not interested in fixing theyr own work,
everything from airplanes to scuba diving is in this awesome sandbox that is ARMAIII, but as you can notice from your experience or the list above,not a single feature works good, everything has to be fixed.

so my idea  is this....
the project leaders seems sensitive only to money, so if the numbers of people sensitive to this problem it high enought,
maybe we can propose a sort of "kickstarter" for a kind of "ARMAIII needed fix DLC" (with a full list of fix to include)!
Even if this is a shame for BIS, i personally will be happy to pay x€ (seems reasonable in the 20€ to 30€ range) to finally
solve once for all a huge list of bugged/needed/missing/incomplete/unrealistic features for ARMAIII !
in the form of a DLC, noone will be forced to buy it, i imagine it as compatible with people who doesnt have the DLC (yes its technically possible, i already did with countless scripts, like 3D explosives interface),
OR
in the form of a crow-funded upgrade for all players, where more "controversial features" (example: unlocked uniforms) can be selectable ON/OFF by mission and always compatible.

really thanks for reading till here, ....and what do you think about it guys?

• Like 1

Seems to me you're a troll.

• Like 1

well i do my best to help community......and thats the first answer....good start :hmmm:

• Like 1

INB4 tread gets waporized for trollposting/flamebaiting: the world is not as simple as you imagine. You can't just throw X money at BI and expect magic "FIX_ALL.exe"

• Like 4

yeah i see.....first two comments are negative....so probably its just me seeing this problems (and the simplest solution).
well.....seemed a good idea.....my bad.
happy nuking.......

• Like 1

I understand your motives dlegion, however the Arma series is MEANT to be a sandbox.  Inevitably modders will improve the game and I suppse we like it that way.  Yes, lots of things are not great. but if you step back and look what we have it IS incredible.  This is the ONLY game that I play every single day (maybe only for a few minutes to check something, up to hoursm because it is so great.

• Like 3

The road to hell is paved with good intentions, but this is just another pointless post, there's enough of these "wishlists".

• Like 2

thanks for your feedback guys!
i like to play this game, and not to fix it.
and latest 2 years (not day, not months... ==>>  years) were passed to fix basic features (not strange thing, but really basic ones like respawn vehicles, add civilian ambient life, and simple grenade throwing fix) , just to be able to play.
and i'm still far from finish, and for "finish" i mean have at least gameplay to the level of other games, not something strange or complicate, just a simple CTF mission, is a pain when you cant properly place explosives, take the weapons you want, implement weather with its effects ecc.
seems to me just a huge nosense-and-no-reason waste of community resources, and i just thinked that with a "fix DLC" everyone would be happy, community and developers. everyone wins.
considering that addons only problems are 1) possible incompatibility one with another and 2) people must download them to be able to play on a server with addons,
even if i really dont know how to script, and basically copy&paste other people's work (with i thanks from my heart), i went for the script way.
and that i was able to fix almost everything needed in less than a month of work (mostly 2-5 hours per week, always very tired after dinner) after every game patch (and sadly restart to test/fix at every new patch, that always screw something. its an endless work), so in your opinion, what can do a month of work of the whole BIS team ??

anyway.....i keep getting negative feedback, but the only answer close to an explanation is the one by kremator.
plus everyone entered in my server while i test my missions with all my scripts to fix it, say positive things like "this hould be added in every mission" ecc..
help me understand whats wrong please, i really cant understand why noone want to do the job in the right way!

thanks !

PS: sorry eh...but from my point of view its 16 years i'm fixing this C4 so it can be attached to vehicles and structures, i have the right to be bored of it!

• Like 1

I think OP has requested legal things and there is nothing wrong doing so.

There are a lot of outstanding fixes/improvements that can't be fixed, or at least not efficiently, without access to arma's source code.

Since some of this things are requested for many years, it probably makes sense to remember from time to time.

10 minutes ago, fred41 said:

I think OP has requested legal things and there is nothing wrong doing so.

There are a lot of outstanding fixes/improvements that can't be fixed, or at least not efficiently, without access to arma's source code.

Since some of this things are requested for many years, it probably makes sense to remember from time to time.

Like the countless other threads with similar desires,/requests/wishes?  

PS: sorry eh...but from my point of view its 16 years i'm fixing this C4 so it can be attached to vehicles and structures, i have the right to be bored of it!

Also this one

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=21645

Both work not too bad, but not so great underwater, plus I do believe that since one of the updates last year, or maybe 2 years back it's been possible to attach explosives to objects.

Sometimes, just spending time searching for these little things turns up real gems.

there's even this thread, but I can never get the charges to stick.

32 minutes ago, road runner said:

Like the countless other threads with similar desires,/requests/wishes?  

No, like this very thread.

3 minutes ago, fred41 said:

No, like this very thread.

what's different about this one compared to all the others?

Do you realise that quite a few of these "issues" in the hidden part, are implemented and have been for a while, especially attaching explosives, then the samples I actually gave, and then there's the grenade throwing in ACE, so what's the actual point in asking a question "Would you buy it if it was in a DLC?" ummmm no, not when most of it can be found within addons. Ergo... what's the actual point the OP's making? That is should have been down to BIS to sort?

I agree to a point, but addon makers since day one have always made such games more appealing, a change in a texture is often enough, but the whole point of the thread is.......well pointless, it's just another rant, and a misleading Title. ALL of these issues the OP has highlighted are discussed OFTEN in Dev Branch. A little bit of "searching" would yield a lot of answers to his questions.

• Like 1

Its clearly written that this is not a "wish list " because all features named here are already present and working in form of addons or script.

I think the point here is another....kind of "multiplayer is splitting too much " ...due to fix needed for to long !

• Like 1

Hey dlegion I was on the same boat as you were.

One important thing that I learned however from my time here and reading some

interesting texts from arhitectures of engines.

One thing is modders adding functionality via scripting or in Arma case "SQF scripting language". Now

sqf is pretty flexible because its built on top of the engine. On the other hand if BIS wanted to implement

scripting systems that modders do they would have to program that in. For example in C#. And what does means

is entirely different set of rules - everything interconnects. You have to take care of backward compat,

the AI side of things etc. I image it like giant spider web of all aspects and systems that makes arma arma

and it have to make sure it plays nice.

What I'm trying to say is that programming is lot more robust and performance friendly but is lot harder

to do with relation to time and manpower. So what seems like easy fix from scripting perspective (modders)

might be quite a challenge from programmer point of view (BIS).

• Like 2

really thank you en3x,
this finally is a good and detailed explanation that makes sense! THANKS !

for the sake of clarifying all aspects.....considering what you saied, just as theorical example, in my idea 10000 people paying 20€ each one for the "fix DLC"
would be a solid 200000€ for the devs, that can put many hours-work into fix the game so that it will be better for all.....honestly i still cant see how it can hurt community or BIS !
from my point of view, a DLC like karts, or the upcoming jets, while being for sure good and useful, are just "less needed" and still "resources eating" like fixing actual broken features.
but as i saied thats just my own personal opinion!
and thanks again for a good explanation !

• Like 1

@dlegion, i think i would actually buy such an DLC.

This idea sounds a bit crazy first (and maybe gentle provocative too), but somehow it is inspiring.

Thanks for your effort to bringing some fresh ideas and spirit back here ;)

I have no problem to pay then to fix old and new bugs, or even a FPS DLC to increase FPS. But this will never happens lol.

Closing - there is already an wishlist thread.