sollrmartyn

(Windows) 64 bit Server Update - 0xc000007b exception (possible fix)

Hello guys

yesterday we had some problems to update our ArmA 3 Servers to 64 bit update.

The update command via steamcmd was not a problem, but to run the servers.

First we received a message "XAPOFX1_5.dll" is missing. So I copied it from my computer (testing virtual machine for ArmA 3 for mods, etc.) in C:\Windows\System32.

After that we got a message "could not start, exception 0xc000007b".

Several retries, cheking procedures via steamcmd, second testing machine, etc.

After that I found my solution:

Copying all vcomp120.dll, X3DAudio1_7.dll and XAPOFX1_5.dll to C:\Windows\System32 and reboot did the work.

But don't get me wrong - of course I had this files on my server before. But first the new copies brought it to work.

Creepy, hm?

So I cannot upload the fixed files here - so I'll not do so and link them here. But if anybody needs thems, I'll post the original post of my clan's forum where the 3 files are available as download.

Just let me know.

After that all it worked without a problem and I'm happy to have the new 64 bit stable update.

Thanks for that and have a nice weekend.

Your Martyn

• Like 1

Are you sure you downloaded 233780 (ArmA 3 Server)? I don't recall my server ever asking for those files.

Either way, to fix the XAPOFX1_5.dll & X3DAudio1_7.dll errors in specific, you have to update your directx drivers.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=35

vcomp120.dll is a missing .net component. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=40784

Really none of these files should be called for a server though, which leads me to believe you have the wrong files on your server (unless something's changed.) 

and if you did download the ArmA 3 client by accident, all these installers should be in *\Arma 3\_CommonRedist\

• Like 1

Hi afevis

yes, I am sure I downloaded 233780.

If you perform a clean windows server installation and install steamcmd and download 233780 and run the arma3server.exe or 64bit variant it will give you messages that these files are not found.

I just added the files, restarted the server to prevent any unexpected behaviour and it works.

Maybe you can give me your installation steps?

The devil is in the detail :-)

Kind Regards

Martyn

windows server installation ... 2008? 2012? 

Do you play the game on the WinServerOS "local" to test? then you would need the .net and DX.

If your joining the Server to test (normal dedicated join) not need the files?

I am confused you needed them (files) for a Windows Server OS, to run a dedicated server.

This fix didn't solve the issue for me. I've checked event viewer and it says there's a fault with ntdll.dll:

Faulting application name: arma3server-test.exe, version: 1.68.140.908, time stamp: 0x58ca59ec
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18438, time stamp: 0x57ae642e
Exception code: 0xc000007b
Fault offset: 0x00000000000ecdd0
Faulting process id: 0xb9c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d29fcc953fabb2
Faulting application path: C:\SteamCMD\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Test Server\arma3server-test.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: d43ac637-0bbf-11e7-80d0-08606e6952c5
Faulting package full name:

Seems weird as the x86/32-bit server version is still booting just fine. Looked up issues relating to ntdll.dll and all I'm finding is a lot of things relating to Internet Explorer addons. It is a core Windows file as far as I can tell.

On 17.3.2017 at 7:11 PM, kklownboy said:

windows server installation ... 2008? 2012? 

Do you play the game on the WinServerOS "local" to test? then you would need the .net and DX.

If your joining the Server to test (normal dedicated join) not need the files?

I am confused you needed them (files) for a Windows Server OS, to run a dedicated server.

It's a Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard EN version.

I did not need to install/update any .NET Framework Package or directX files.

The Windows Server just runs the dedicated server.

Maybe this will clear things up.

On 18.3.2017 at 10:59 AM, fourjays said:

This fix didn't solve the issue for me. I've checked event viewer and it says there's a fault with ntdll.dll:

Faulting application name: arma3server-test.exe, version: 1.68.140.908, time stamp: 0x58ca59ec
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18438, time stamp: 0x57ae642e
Exception code: 0xc000007b
Fault offset: 0x00000000000ecdd0
Faulting process id: 0xb9c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d29fcc953fabb2
Faulting application path: C:\SteamCMD\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Test Server\arma3server-test.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: d43ac637-0bbf-11e7-80d0-08606e6952c5
Faulting package full name:

Seems weird as the x86/32-bit server version is still booting just fine. Looked up issues relating to ntdll.dll and all I'm finding is a lot of things relating to Internet Explorer addons. It is a core Windows file as far as I can tell.

Yep, thats the same error I got, too.

I just copied the files (like I described above) from my working test vm (hyper-v on my localhost) to my dedicated server (hosted by a provider) and rebooted the machine (I did not replace the ntdll.dll!).

Fixed it for me.

And yes it's a core component which you can't update if the machine is up. But I never did this before and would highly recommend that you backup the machine before trying this.

There can be unseen problems after you tried this step. And I don't believe that this will be the "real" fix...

If I'll see more information of this error I'll keep you informed. Hope you do the same with me/us.

Kind Regards

Martyn

Just wanted to put a big thanks to you guys. Updated my Dedicated server and got an immediate crash with the Fault Mode Name: vcomp120.dll. Googled the error and BAM! All fixed. Thanks again!

Server information:

VMware VM

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard EN version

in case someone else has this problem, I'll post here how It was fixed for me.

just downloaded x64 versions of XAPOFX1_5.dll & X3DAudio1_7.dll and put it in my "A3 Server" folder.

thanks to topicstarter for the hint. :)

• Like 1