thirith

Good missions for A3 coop newbies?

I'm running some small-scale coop sessions with friends (usually 4-8 people); we've been playing A2/OA so far, but it's time to switch, especially since we've been running into technical issues with the older games.

However, while I have hundreds of coop missions for A2/OA, I'm finding it difficult to find good coop missions that are suited for a small group of players new to the game. Several of the coop missions by Bohemia strike me as meat grinders that are more suited to turning newbies off (I'm thinking for instance of the combined arms showcase). I've downloaded the various Dynamic Recon Ops, which seem really good, but sometimes I like the more structured, handcrafted quality a good, well-made coop mission has.

So, to come to an end: are there any coop missions or mission packs you'd recommend for A3 beginners?

Pick any MP mission and change the AI skill level, that will make it more newbie friendly.

True, but it's not just about *easier* missions. There's a difference between a well designed mission that is challenging but fair and a badly designed mission with the difficulty turned down.

Quick follow-up: do I understand correctly that MCC and Dynamic Combat Generator can be used to generate missions for any size of group? Can they be used to do so on the fly, during a session, or would I need to use them beforehand to create a mission, save that, and then we play the saved mission?

I've heard good things about either, but nothing specific to what I'd like to use them for, i.e. creating varied missions for a group of 4-8 players.

@thirith you should check out Zeus too. you can do some magic with it in terms of nicely flowing linear missions. only draw back is that one of you will have to be the game master and do it all on the fly. can require some practice. although you can start simple and control pacing in a way that you have time to make the next task while they are completing the current one.

haven't found many good missions but these few were fun.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=433613841&searchtext=negotiation

this guy uses his own framework. liked what i saw. i have only played this one and the "like a ghost" one. latter was nicely done but only 2 players and AI needed a little work. but mostly arma's fault. here are all of his missions.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969198888/myworkshopfiles/

i can also recommend "overthrow". it's still early i think but it's basically a guerilla simulator. more of an open world thing where you slowly stack up on equipment and freeing areas like a real resistance force. already had some fun with that. but depends on what you are looking for. i personally lack the patience to play it a lot and longer. but i can still recommend it. more a matter of taste.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=774201744&searchtext=overthrow

this one is SP. but it never gets old. some real focussed game design totally not what you are used to in arma. but all the more reason to play it.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=277514822

another generator type thing. throws you right into it though, which i like

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=540777252

last one for now. johnnyboy's stuff. he puts in a lot of details (many of which he released as seperate scripts, if you never need a feature seperately for your own stuff). so worth trying if you are looking for mroe of a hand crafted experience.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=681657000

there's probably a lot more burried on the workshop and elsewhere under a giant pile of garbage (sorry but it's true) but these should be a good start since i generally lack the patience for any type of bugs, bad pacing and shit balancing or just lack of proper respawn mechanics but i could put up with them :dummy:.

definately take the above advice of tweaking AI though. this is one of the biggest factors of making this game fun. stuff like ASR_AI could help you there. or any other type of servers side AI skill controller.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=642457233

• Like 1

Thanks, these look good. I'll definitely check them out. I'm shying away from Zeus because we're a pretty small group (often it's just four or five of us) and I'd rather be playing alongside them, but of course this limits us somewhat.

Edit: Is ASR_AI something that only needs to be installed on the server, or does it also need to be used by every player? And does it work okay with non-dedicated servers?

I suggest my own missions to start and play directly into the action.

This missions are designed for small groups and learn tactics based in most diversed terrains and missions scenarios.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=699016514

I dislike the AI mods because usually broke the missions spirit and behaviour, to begin learning the basics of coop I prefer simple missions with a lot of enemies perfectly balanced, like my own mission... ;)

• Like 1

We'll probably try out the first of your missions today, djotacon. Most likely I'll be making heavy use of Dynamic Recon Ops, but I like a good handcrafted mission every now and then.

• Like 1

I highly recommend ESCAPE. I play on a British (I think) server with a great bunch of guys and in coop mode, it is fantastic.

Captured, unarmed, enemies everywhere, trying to get GTFO of there... really takes a LOT of teamwork to survive. Very hard for lone wolves or single player.

Great online or LAN game for coop or ARMA newbs to get used to ARMA.

• Like 1

Thanks, Valken. We did play the A2/Chernarus version of Escape once or twice, and I've subscribed to the A3 version, but we've yet to play it. Definitely a good idea for more open-ended gameplay.

djotacon, we played the first of your Sigma Quadrant missions yesterday, and it was good fun. One thing that threw my fellow squad members a bit was the final waypoint (TRUCK); they thought there'd be a truck there for them to pick up, so they blew up the truck we originally came in. Not the most logical course of action, I agree. :-) Looking forward to playing more of your missions!

On 3/27/2017 at 8:59 PM, thirith said:

Thanks, Valken. We did play the A2/Chernarus version of Escape once or twice, and I've subscribed to the A3 version, but we've yet to play it. Definitely a good idea for more open-ended gameplay.

I am usually playing on Outkasts.eu or GaelLords.com's servers. Just type in "escape" into the filter box in the internet tab and you can find those servers. Usually a bunch of good guys playing proper coop. Similar to how Half Life players play Svencoop if you know that game (wish someone would port Black Mesa to ARMA 3 engine!).

Once you have played a few rounds, your team may opt to do their own versions on other maps or mod the existing PBO.

Will definitely try that out. Do those servers you mentioned run mod-free Escape sessions?

7 hours ago, thirith said:

Will definitely try that out. Do those servers you mentioned run mod-free Escape sessions?

GaelLords uses only CBA and Shacktac Hud (optional) but recommended.

Outkasts has a bunch of optional mods (Laxmann's sound and environment mod, enhance movement and interaction from Bad Benson, and minor other mods) highly recommended and you can download it all by clicking on subscribe from Steam Workshop.

Going to pop in a game right about.... now... :D

@Valken:

When are good times to find people playing on GaelLords or Outkasts? I'm in the lucky position of not working on Fridays, but I didn't find the GaelLords server, and the Outkasts ones I found were both empty and seemed to require mods or signatures that I didn't have (i.e. they were red-dotted).

I like 'Liberation' which is CTI so maybe a bit big for you but its persistent so you can jump in and out at will.

Has elements of RPG with base building and earning weapon systems.

It has many parameters to tailor the difficulty and it really feels like a living mission with civilians including vehicles, enemy reinforcements and patrols etc.

On 5/5/2017 at 4:16 PM, thirith said:

@Valken:

When are good times to find people playing on GaelLords or Outkasts? I'm in the lucky position of not working on Fridays, but I didn't find the GaelLords server, and the Outkasts ones I found were both empty and seemed to require mods or signatures that I didn't have (i.e. they were red-dotted).

I play almost every weekday ~ 2pm to 2 am UK time.  I am NOT in the EU but that is the time I become available after work, dinner and the family is off to bed. :D

You will see a bunch of regulars there starting from 2 to 6 pm UK local time. I believe the crowd are pensioners, business men and university students. LOL. Great bunch of guys playing in real coop.

I tried some GER servers and when non-EU guys log in, they run off and do their own group thing. Its like playing DayZ with those guys so I leave. 

Be aware on weekends, the loads is very light. I mean quiet as most guys are still sleeping or out with the family or their significant others.

PS: Get a working microphone. I don't have one and trying to cobble my cell mobile headphones for the mic, but then I lose my really good wireless headphones (brand name knockoff that can connect up to 4 users to the same audio channels - great for movies). Too bad its breaking down and I cannot find a reasonably priced replacement (yet).

Cool, thanks. I'll have to see if I can ever make it when there are people online, or if I find people when I'm online. Fingers crossed...