BL4DE

Ideas how to improve/clean up the action menu

Should action menu be improved/tweaked?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should action menu be improved/tweaked?

• Yes, this archaic concept from 2001 should definitely get improved
    • No, I like it the way it is

Hopefully I'm not suggesting this too late in the development cycle but I'd like to see some improvements to the ancient action menu. I was very pleasantly surprised when Apex control preset came out which removed weapon switching from the action menu and reduced the clutter. I suggest taking it further and cleaning it up some more.

I don't know about you guys but I hate menus, I hate interacting with them mid combat and getting arma'ed by them and so on.

1. Give us an option to remove certain actions from the action menu

I personally think we should be allowed to remove actions such as: "Get Out" and "Eject" when there are keybinds for those (default V and 2xV respectively). I cannot count how many times me and other players been ejected from a vehicle when trying to use a certain action which disappeared for a split second when another player used an action and Eject option was the first one in the menu which got selected in that split second. Yeah it is so broken when it keeps resetting whenever someone else uses it.

Additionally we have keybinds for: Engine On/Off; Lights On/Off; Turn Out/In; Gear Up/Down; Flaps Up/Down and some others I can't think off at the moment. Would like it if there was an option either in game options or controls to remove specific actions from the action menu so as to allow to customize it for those that prefer using action menu for some reason and keep everyone happy :shrug:

2. Introduce a quick access/hot key system for inventory items

So we can stop placing explosives on the helicopter or transport truck as we are trying to board it while the action menu keeps resetting because our fellow comrades are also trying to board it at the same time.

What I am proposing is essentially an MMO style hot key system which would imo benefit Arma greatly. By default Apex Preset uses "1" for primary weapon, "2" for secondary and "3" for launcher. So player could assign his own keys for each quick access slot which would show the corresponding key bind like in the mockup image bellow. Then the player would drag and drop the items from uniform/vest/backpack into the quick access slots.

T90Piuv.png

Additionally it could be used not only for explosives but grenades as well.

For example you press number 5 and your character switches to an RGO grenade. While I would prefer character actually holding the grenade in his hand like in FPS games since the 90s I'm not sure Bohemia can afford the animator labor?

I could live with Shactac/ACE style floating grenades in front of you.

Regardless I think Red Orchestra2/Rising Storm did grenades very elegantly in my opinion.

wOGzjEn.jpg

Zgybt2S.jpg

kUGazcc.jpg

BUtuXB9.jpg

You aim with your ingame hand and cook grenade at the same time, how intuitive :O

SqZGMMu.jpg

Here's a Satchel

tBt6gYL.jpg

NxXH4XE.jpg

You can throw the Satchel too

ktbDvNj.jpg

3. Improve opening doors/windows

Could we have the door icon attach to doors, windows in the actual 3D world space so we know which door is about to open/close? Seems relatively simple

If icons were to attach to doors/windows you could then remove those options from the action menu and look for an icon prompt instead.

2M8K4R7.jpg

I also noticed that when giving move commands to AI there's an arrow that seems to attach to objects. So it seems that there's already a capability in the engine to attach HUD elements in 3D space.

6BmpShA.jpg

Anyway these are my suggestions. Looking forward to more suggestions and a discussion. Hopefully it's not too late to get the action menu improved

• Like 1

The word should not be "Improve the action menu system" should be "complete remove and destroy forever that ..." And adapt to the systems that all the games use right now.

Action Button Mod.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, esfumato said:

The word should not be "Improve the action menu system" should be "complete remove and destroy forever that ..." And adapt to the systems that all the games use right now.

I wouldn't say get rid of it.

It's still very useful for scripted content to put an easily visible option.

29 minutes ago, gossamersolid said:

I wouldn't say get rid of it.

It's still very useful for scripted content to put an easily visible option.

some missions don't use the scroll mouse menu. Just assign a key to open the menus. For example, Sa-Matra King of the Hill or Sa-Matras wasteland. So as long as you can assing a key to your option is fine.

12 minutes ago, esfumato said:

some missions don't use the scroll mouse menu. Just assign a key to open the menus. For example, Sa-Matra King of the Hill or Sa-Matras wasteland. So as long as you can assing a key to your option is fine.

and these are two examples are extremely un-intuitive ways to implement menus because unless somebody tells you about the key to press, you have no clue there is a menu. At least the action menu is something that's just so built into ArmA that people will see an entry there.

3 hours ago, gossamersolid said:

and these are two examples are extremely un-intuitive ways to implement menus because unless somebody tells you about the key to press, you have no clue there is a menu. At least the action menu is something that's just so built into ArmA that people will see an entry there.

And there are plenty of ways to tell the players... Look, in this mission, you have to press "Whatever the Key" to acces the menus.

The thing is that every mission or every mod have a diferent way to do the things, people don't know if they are playing an official mission done by bohemia interactive or a mission done by a modder, people don't know if they joined an official server by bohemia interactive or a server payed by a players community.

Even in project Argo they released a Hardcore version and people though it was a "More Action" version instead of the way arma use the word Hardcore... No HUD, No 3rd person.

------------------------------------------------------------- Going back to Topic. ---------------------------------------

On 11/3/2017 at 0:25 AM, BL4DE said:

wfVNEk4.jpg?1

What I am proposing is essentially an MMO style hot key system which would imo benefit Arma greatly. By default Apex Preset uses "1" for primary weapon, "2" for secondary and "3" for launcher. So player could assign his own keys for each quick access slot which would show the corresponding key bind like in the mockup image bellow. Then the player would drag and drop the items from uniform/vest/backpack into the quick access slots.

Even in 1998 Half Life and other games had a simple and efective way to switch between weapons and those games allowed you to have 10 weapons at the same time!!!! Arma only allows you to have 3!!! pistol, rifle, and launcher... how could they end with the whole mess of menu they have?.

I don't like the quick menu slots in the inventory, you have to spend time assigning items in the weapon slots and the remeber what number did you assigned to a determined item... so you end pressing the wrong keys at all times.

I like the way Half Life had. press 1 and a small menu appears that allows you select between the 2 pistols you had. To select the second pistol you only had to press 1, 1, and then click... and the game executed the animation of changing the weapon.

As Arma only allow you to have 1 rifle, 1 pistol and 1 launcher those should stay as they are now 1,2,3 but for the explosives and items there should be aditional keys

4 should allow you to select explosive greandes (RGN / RGO)

5 Mines (Tripwire Mine, APERS Mine, SLAM Mine, AT Mine)

6 Explosives ( Charges, Satchels)

7 40 mm grenades for GL rifles.

8 40 mm Smoke grenades for GL rifles (white,blue,red,green,orage...)

9 Flares for GL rifles (white,blue,red,green,orage...)

0 ....

' ....

¡ ....

Delete ......

JMKAkOO.jpg?1

This image is of a mod that allow the player to have 60 weapons at once.

Also the game should have an animation with every Explosive, Grenade, Item in the hands and their respective animations.

Even also some Items should be used with their animations... the Clock... The compass, Binoculars, GPS, UAV Terminal and everything.

Yeah it would improve a lot if every weapon, explosive etc. actually are in your hands and you use them with fire button and so on.

I'm not a fan of dragging items in a hotbar. I'd make it bit differently.

1. Primary

- Press again to browse to the next ammo type. Hold and you get a menu. When you reload the ammo loads in the gun.

2. Secondary

- Press again to browse to the next ammo type. Hold and you get a menu. When you reload the ammo loads in the gun.

3. Launcher

4. Grenades

- Press again to browse to the next grenade type. Hold and you get a menu

5. Smoke Grenades and other possible special types like Chemlights

- Press again to browse to the next type. Hold and you get a menu

6. Grenade Launcher explosives

- Press again to browse to the next type. Hold and you get a menu. When you reload the ammo loads in the gun.

7. Grenade Launcher smokes/lights/etc.

- Press again to browse to the next type. Hold and you get a menu. When you reload the ammo loads in the gun.

8. Mines

9. Explosives

0. Detonator

- Different type of explosives should likely have different channels or something like that. Press again to browse to the next type. Hold and you get a menu

How to have a good Grenade system...

Games that have this sistem. I know both from Rebellion developers.

Rogue trooper and Sniper Elite 4. Should be nice that the Dslyecxi had some animations for throwing grenades to leave that flying grenade of the screen.

• Like 1

Yeah from the start I hated the insta-grenade action. I really really wish they would put more things into the players hands. Get rid of as much of this menu crap as possible and make it a key so you have to physically hold it in your hands to use.

4 hours ago, esfumato said:

I don't like the quick menu slots in the inventory, you have to spend time assigning items in the weapon slots and the remeber what number did you assigned to a determined item... so you end pressing the wrong keys at all times.

I like the way Half Life had. press 1 and a small menu appears that allows you select between the 2 pistols you had. To select the second pistol you only had to press 1, 1, and then click... and the game executed the animation of changing the weapon.

As Arma only allow you to have 1 rifle, 1 pistol and 1 launcher those should stay as they are now 1,2,3 but for the explosives and items there should be aditional keys

4 should allow you to select explosive greandes (RGN / RGO)

5 Mines (Tripwire Mine, APERS Mine, SLAM Mine, AT Mine)

6 Explosives ( Charges, Satchels)

7 40 mm grenades for GL rifles.

8 40 mm Smoke grenades for GL rifles (white,blue,red,green,orage...)

9 Flares for GL rifles (white,blue,red,green,orage...)

0 ....

' ....

¡ ....

Delete ......

Reveal hidden contents

JMKAkOO.jpg?1

This image is of a mod that allow the player to have 60 weapons at once.

Also the game should have an animation with every Explosive, Grenade, Item in the hands and their respective animations.

Even also some Items should be used with their animations... the Clock... The compass, Binoculars, GPS, UAV Terminal and everything.

4 hours ago, St. Jimmy said:

Yeah it would improve a lot if every weapon, explosive etc. actually are in your hands and you use them with fire button and so on.

I'm not a fan of dragging items in a hotbar. I'd make it bit differently.

1. Primary

2. Secondary

3. Launcher

4. Grenades

- Press again to browse to the next grenade type. Hold and you get a menu

5. Smoke Grenades and other possible special types like Chemlights

6. Grenade Launcher explosives

7. Grenade Launcher smokes/lights/etc.

8. Mines

9. Explosives

0. Detonator

- Different type of explosives should likely have different channels or something like that. Press again to browse to the next type. Hold and you get a menu

I like these ideas. So you guys suggest separating weapon selection/ammo menu into a different menu. I agree that this Half Life style menu could work nicely. It would separate the damm boarding vehicles from load magazine/place satchel type of actions.

Also agree on the detonator thing. Should have that remote thingy which would let you detonate specific explosives.

And holding the damm grenades in your hand....

Some would say that ACE solves most of these problems but ACE interact/self interact menu is not an elegant solution imo.

Now the question is how do we get Bohemia to implement any of this? Do we make a feedback tracker ticket (which you can't upvote?) or cry and moan and whine in the forums until it gets noticed?

3 hours ago, chompster said:

Yeah from the start I hated the insta-grenade action. I really really wish they would put more things into the players hands. Get rid of as much of this menu crap as possible and make it a key so you have to physically hold it in your hands to use.

America's Army had good grenades. I think that ArmA could use something similar.