zippy3251

How to make 700x700 m map?

Hi guys,

In my endeavor to recreate the Carentan map from COH, I need to scale my terrain properly. I've been only using a terrain that is 1024x1024 m or 512x512, but the size I really need is about 700x700 m. In TB when I create the terrain mapframe, I just go for a 1:1 scale between the size of my sat, terrain, and mask images so I don't botch anything up. Sadly a 1024 terrain is too large, and the 512 is too small. How can I set the sampler settings in the mapframe properties window to allow me a terrain thats not 2^x meters per side?

Thanks!

If I understand you correctly you kind of want a terrain that's rectangular in shape? However that type of terrain is not possible. The terrain must be square. Unfortunalty that's the only way to do it. 

I do want a square terrain, but I wish it to be roughly 700^2 meters instead of the usual 512x512 or 1024x1024.

Ahh. Ok. You can only use the heightmap sizes in the samplers tab. What is the overall size of the terrain in meters you are looking to create?

how about creating a 1024x1024 map and lower the hightmap that much to have a 700x700m island?

768 is possible, grid 512 x 512 with a 1.5 cell = 768

I'm starting with a teeny tiny map that's a total of 700 square meters. Sorry to be confusing, I'm still catching on to the vernacular regarding terrain sizing in TB. @londo19 I ended up doing something similar (see spoiler below), except this map can't really be an island. I made the total image 1024 but resized the part I care about to be 700 x 700. I'll throw some forests in the background.

Spoiler

QoX9Mbx.jpg

Ahhh thank you @richie! I would use 512 x 512 images in TB then?

In mapframe properties under samplers, set the grid size to 512 x 512, set the cell size to 1.5, that will then change the terrain size to 768, that is the closest you'll get to 700.

Ah! I was confused. I though you were trying to use a heightmap of 700x700 when you where trying to create a terrain of 700m x 700m