[WIP] Operation Arctic Front

This mission is a stealth oriented, small group special ops style base infiltration type, for both SP and Coop [1-4] in a winter theme.

The mission uses the AI Modify Ai system, which provides an environment with potentially a lot of enemy response/movement when they detect threats and provides a greater level of support for stealth style tactics. 

With the enemy base nearing completion, it seems like a nice time to pitch out some pictures and a little info about the mission.

The enemy base surrounds an old remote logging town - all of the contents of the base and town have been placed using a modified version NeoArmageddons very well done MapBuilder - the location picked for all of this on the map by default has nothing more than scattered trees there. The map used is Ural by CPL.Variable.A, and the map author also created winter textures for most of the map objects that have been placed. NeoArmageddons MapBuilder Objects config addon is used to access the winter objects.

Z1_zpsinugbfmt.jpg

Machine gun bunker, 2 guns - town center (designated Ai units will run to the guns and man them if alerted) Guns are from RHS RFAF

Z9_zpsxwczb0gt.jpg

Central troop area entrance (fortified)

Z2_zpscceqxgoa.jpg

Central troop area that includes a repair station and a small officers quarters - Repair vehicle is from the addon Snow Tigers

Z3_zpsgm1uequ6.jpg

Train station area

Z4_zpsrplfdn1x.jpg

Z5_zps7c5xd0rz.jpg

Base headquarters - Vehicle is from the addon FoxHound Siberian Guards (RHS RFAF dependent)

Z6_zpsokoy4ase.jpg

AA battery (headquarters) - Gun is from RHS RFAF

Z8_zpsfsa5u7zs.jpg

Officers quarters (house) and a small troop presence

Z11_zpsyoaqh2bq.jpg

3/4 size view of base showing completed area - Many trees will be removed like the one nearest by HideObjectGlobal after base completion

Z12_zpsy5uz9wb0.jpg

Entire base overview including the incomplete front area of the base.

The roads that look messy on the outskirts of the base are only placeholders for where the exterior walls will be placed (winter camo type)

Z13_zpssjoboej8.jpg

The winter gear chosen for the players group consists of 4 different addons, after going through a ton of choices trying different things, this was the best combo 

found for special forces winter gear that both matches well/looks good and also does not have overly bright colors because of the lighting changes in the game.

The nearest 2 units are the Expert Rifleman variant. Addons used are : Craigs SP and US Pack, TRYK gear, Snow Tigers and EuroForce units/gear.

Z14_zpskferbzpe.jpg

The third unit is the Automatic Rifleman variant

Z15_zpswvudxkcn.jpg

The last unit is the sniper variant

The enemy force :

The units/gear being used is from the very well done addon FoxHound Siberian Guards, which uses RHS : Russian Federation armed forces by the RHS Team.

The mission also uses the Snow Storm Script by aliascartoons, which has been modified to strictly run just the weather effects excluding the snow tornados - (only snow, blowing snow, wind, environment/wind sounds).

Credit is also due for the Ural map lighting fixed/updated by Rad on Steam.

The mission is primarily just about 2 things, mission play and environment. Unit placement and mobility should do well in this open style base environment.

With the ability provided by the Ai Modify system to be able to potentially infiltrate deep into the base without putting the compound on alert by using stealth tactics, the scenario should cater well to this type of gameplay, especially in Coop mode. There might be a unit count put in that shows at the end of the mission which reveals how many enemy units were eliminated before the base had been put on alert.

There will likely be just one objective, which would be to eliminate the enemy presence in the base. No video/cutscene intro.

Again, this mission is just about the mission play + environment.

Nearly all of the objects used are winter/snow textured to keep things to the winter theme.

The mission certainly will be pretty addon heavy, and there is no way around that, it is what it takes to put together the entire winter theme.

Update :

Base construction complete

Trees still need removal, but it's a small task involving just placing markers near tree removal areas and running already created code on them, and I'd like to be able to allow things to move on to snow object placement in the wooded areas for now.

Pics :

Z20_zpsfaoupwfa.jpg

Base main entrance (includes 2 fortified bunkers)

Z21_zpse0jrjdig.jpg

Fortified bunkers made from 55 objects each - interiors fully finished - ai usage for firing from inside working properly, width/height of opening at ideal settings for ai usage (looked better imo with the opening smaller, but Ai could not shoot at lower angles enough).

Z22_zpsmkvn3nk9.jpg

Ammo storage depot area with troop presence

Z23_zps1cxbhoq9.jpg

Forward barracks area (near base entrance)

Z24_zps2rb79p8n.jpg

Distant overview of base layout

Z25_zpsf0erh1wu.jpg

Z26_zpseisutalu.jpg

Train tracks area, (train station at base rear)

Z27_zps8swd0byd.jpg

Just threw this picture in - train bridge some distance away from the base - tracks lead to the base - the tracks, bridge, and 50 some snow textured rocks all hand placed to make it work.

Few other things done:

Enemy base objects ported into the mission itself, all non-vehicle types set to simple objects

Ai Modify system installed into mission

Added ability in the Ai Modify system to be able to prevent tower guards from communicating known enemies to nearby units to help make stealth tactics a bit easier in certain circumstances

Player group units load outs installed into the mission

The last thing regarding object placement is to place the snow objects into the wilderness areas around the base - no idea how it will go, but the distance the snow objects will be placed out from the base depends on how indeed it does go (not going to spend 2 weeks placing them).

Was having some pretty big problems with enemy Ai view distances, where I simply could not find any settings that would prevent the players generally from being able to see the enemy for up to like 25 meters while the enemy could not see them - maxing out Ai units SpotDistance and turning off/on fog values never gave enough to make it work - and I know this is in part because the only way to keep the scene appearance looking good was to lock in early morning time or else the snow starts literally glowing in massive brightness.

I remember that Ghost Recon had a global override command that you could set to lock in a view distance value for all Ai in a mission, allowing one to modify fog distance/view distance values in conjunction with the set ai view distance value, unfortunately Arma 3 remains to not have any such command/function.

So, in order to accomplish a similar thing done in Ghost Recon, all enemy units have scopes on their weapons to greatly increase their engagement distances and a script is being finished that draws 3d lines between players and enemy units where at certain distances if the lines connect then a reveal command is executed - the final result does work (basic testing has been done), although fog may still have to be used depending on how much engagement distance can be squeezed out of the enemy - right now they are working at nearly 300 meters out, which is fine for visual detection alone without being fired upon, but I'm hoping to get around 400 to 500 meters actual firing response to enemies firing upon them so that the fog can be set way back which both looks nicer and provides greater opportunities for sniping by players.

Credit is due to TPW for the line drawing/unit direction/terrain intersection formula used in the script - so the units direction is factored in before revealing is done along with terrain potentially blocking view. There is only one script that runs which covers all units to attempt to reduce cpu load and the looping checks are on a 1.0 sleep delay - and the line drawing/checks are only re-executed intermittently after a short period of time on units after they have gained sight of an enemy - hopefully all of this combined keeps the load of the function way down.

Provided the function continues to work out, units in safe mode should provide a reasonable distance of being in sight of an enemy before the enemy is revealed, while units in aware and combat mode will have their sight value set closer to being able to see enemies when they generally can see them.

Certainly wasn't planning on getting into this, but I'm thankful it's working out - ironically a simple global override command that could lock in the Ai View Distance value in the game would accomplish the same results, if it existed.

This all makes the final step of placing units and dropping in Ai Modify values in on them look like fun lol...:don14:

The snow object placement is complete - something like 4500 objects - frame rates seem basically unaffected by the objects, in fact the non-existence of the grass might actually be improving the overall performance. Some boulders placed here and there as well, along with the removal of all trees that were in places they did not belong both in the base and in wilderness areas.

Z28_zpsitgetfyh.jpg

Z29_zpshxacirz2.jpg

The entire area covered by the snow objects is pretty massive, the overhead shot shows main mission area, and the snow goes a good bit past this as well and surrounds the entire base exterior where it ends at the base of the mountain ranges. .

Not the kind of thing I'd prefer to ever do again, somewhere around 500 to 1000 of the snow objects had to be individually hand placed, and their vectors x/y had to be rotated to go with the slope of the terrain and meld properly with the other snow objects (the objects would not align properly by just placing them in the Eden editor on slopes with terrain alignment on).

The snow camo'd Mk-I EMR from Pete's Retextures - EUROFORCE (I believe it's Euroforce and not Snow Tigers)  has been replaced with the snow version of the MK 18 ABR because the MK-I EMR's suppressed firing sound is just too loud for only having a 30-50 meter detection range, while the MK 18 ABR firing sound is very fitting. So, the MK 18 ABR is a nice looking rifle, but not as nice looking Imo as the EMR, particularly when viewing the weapons in first person when they are in hand. Both rifles are 7.62, so there is no loss in penetration.

Z30_zpsisar568e.jpg

The Mk 18 ABR

The increased AI view distance detection script is done and working well, final values set (at least for now) are :

Enemies in Safe mode: visually detect threats up to 230 meters *outside of the base* - Visually detect threats up to 150 meters *inside of base*

Enemies in Aware or Combat mode: Visually detect threats up to 450 meters *inside and outside of the base*

A preliminary lag test was done, with 45 enemy units scattered in the base area (temporarily placed just for testing), and framerates continued to be reasonable with the Ai Modify system working well with the units allowing unit seen unit functions to work and unit combat movement functioning.

Unit placement, adding patrols, defensive waypoint plans, and Ai modify settings for units is the main thing that is left to do. This of course will not take overnight, and I have no intention of rushing it, rather like to try to enjoy it after all this other stuff that has been more like work has been finally done.

Lastly, - if anyone that knows addon editing, and would like to contribute - A modified version of Pete's snow hex textured MK-I EMR (Snow Hex) that uses the same suppressed firing sound as the Vanilla Mk 18 ABR would be something nice for the mission - I would suspect that although it could be just a config addon that relies on Pete's Retextures - EUROFORCE (I believe the snow hex version is from Euroforce, not Snow Tigers), it probably also would be good to get permission just to be safe. Of course anyone that contributes anything will be listed in the credits.  And lastly, alike other WIP threads, I cannot guarantee that this mission will be completed and released (due to real life responsibilities, or anything else for that matter), so any one that makes any contribution should be aware of this.

Spent quite a bit of time working out a new base alarm function that actually sends particular units to base alarm buttons when they are alerted.

Unfortunately, it looks like the SetUnitPos "UP" bug in Arma 3 still remains unfixed, and therefore I almost had to scrap the thing due to the fact that the units trying to get to the alarm button in combat behavior would do a 3 second long animation 'spaz' lifting and dropping their weapons before they would move. It looks like it might be reasonably doable to just force direction on the alarm units upon being alerted and execute the run animation on them which will let them immediately move to the alarm button as a complete override to anything stopping them in the game - put in a MpKilled event handler to end it, and it might work - it might be a little ugly at first to see the unit instantly face a different direction and then immediately pop into the run animation, but it seems like this would be a nice feature to add - it could add a nice element to the stealth style tactics. Provided this works out, the old base alarm system will be disabled, where it used to be that any loud gunfire would alert the base - with the new changes the base alarm can only happen if certain specified units actually make it to nearby alarm buttons (without being killed)

Because SetUnitPos "UP" remains partially broken in the game, this also means that both patrols and machine gunners can bug still, doing the same stupid weapon 'spaz' animation before and even during movement sometimes, there is no way I would attempt to put in override animations for all of this, things would start getting ridiculous in time and complexity. I still can't understand how these major issues with the core ai for the ground units continue to come up and then remain unresolved while different colored editor icons and customizing vehicle colors seems to take precedence in game updates..

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that Bis has continued to keep Arma 3 going and growing, it's just sometimes quite frustrating seeing issues with core ai units come up and then seem to fall into low priority status.

Expect alot of AI walking through objects (ie houses and walls, etc), such is the curse of Arma 3 base building

16 hours ago, vastiny said:

Expect alot of AI walking through objects (ie houses and walls, etc), such is the curse of Arma 3 base building

During the testing of Operation Rising Tide, there was actually almost no occurrences of such happening (that would be over the span of like 100 some tests), and the base had much more constricted areas than the base made for Operation Arctic Front. This mission uses strictly the AI modify Ai mod, which keeps moving units to singular unit sized groups, which may help with this as well. The barracks type used for housing some of the troops in the mission are very reliable for units both not going through walls and also reliable for proper pathing while making their way from the inside to the outside. This is also why a custom floor was placed for a military tent used in the mission, as the only tent I could find that had proper pathing inside of it had no floor. I have avoided a lot of the military buildings with interiors for both Arma 3 and from Arma 2 ported, unfortunately many of those buildings have pathing problems, and the cargo type buildings can cause units to actually go under them to get to a position inside, as well as getting stuck inside them sometimes. So anyhow, I've kept to not using buildings/objects that I know cause problems, and things have been going without issue. Units are also pathing properly down the fenced off corridor areas around various walled off areas.

The testing I've done so far has shown no instances of units going through walls/buildings. I don't expect any issues of significance here.

Well it looks like SetUnitPos "UP" (or called Stance in the editor, same thing) is just totally borked when used with units in safe behavior once they go into combat behavior, and this likely happened during the recent Arma 3 update.

The previous issues with the command used along with units initially in safe mode I was able to find a decent workaround for, now, it's just totally wrecked. Tower guards are now broken, bunker guards broken, along with the random possibility of long distance patrols being broken as well.

Frankly, until the game company fixes this, there is no way I know of to get around this, and it means that once the mission is finished, if the issue isn't resolved there won't be able to be a release until it is fixed, it's really that bad.

I posted a video in the Development AI thread showing the issue, and it doesn't get any more clear, and that's as far as I'm going with it. Already did the tracker thing some time ago for a while, watching a whole 3 likes happen in 4 months on issues that therefore get no notice, after I wasted too much time with the fancy detailed description, mission to reproduce, etc.

See what happens I guess.

:huh2:

Its a shame more people dont speak up on the AI so BI would actually do something about it. Seems people just accept it and worry more about gaining 10fps or how many variants of AK's can we have..

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:32 PM, froggyluv said:

Its a shame more people dont speak up on the AI so BI would actually do something about it. Seems people just accept it and worry more about gaining 10fps or how many variants of AK's can we have..

I agree.

And a thought - if these issues continue to come up, remain unaddressed,  then they may over time diminish the volume of mission play content that has unique, detailed content within them. It's really imo a lot of the basic rudimentary commands that are provided by the game in volume that can be used to make neat things happen in missions during combat without a ton of work - without those commands then things could start to lean towards more repetitive mission play/group based combat content strictly (not including rpg content out there, which imo has little to do with combat content).

/Edit

I should mention that I feel in the end, any responsibility load of identifying and fixing game play issues does really fall on the game company, not the players. Players can clearly assist with this, but I don't see it possible to rely on this.

Update:

The mission is nearly done.

I've ran into quite a snag though, and this is in dealing with player units at moderate to long distances from the general base area that are in prone stance - where by default this would cause the enemy units miss heavily to the point where they would almost never hit you and further more eventually just stop shooting, which of course means you could just camp a hill top and decimate 80 percent of the base forces without getting hit - this is happening even with the added 3d line drawing plus reveals/dowatch's being executed - ironically as soon as the player would go to crouch stance - boom - the base forces mow down the position in mass and the player is dead in like 5 seconds..

So, of course some crazy workaround was found, but it is not perfect, and at this point I have no more time nor options to spend on this - here is what is done now :

1: If any player unit or player controlled sniper ai unit goes above a certain height, they get a message saying "The high altitude air grows thin.. you should go back down before you succumb to the elements.." and then they have around 20 seconds to go back below the threshold before they die, and a black in screen effect happens for the player unit during this duration as well. This prevents player units from climbing way up high into the mountains to positions that the enemy cannot possibly ever fire at.

2: Any enemy unit that engages a BluFor unit at a distance of greater than 200 meters has their accuracy values cranked up to the max for a short temporary time - yep - this has both desirable and undesirable effects - and again, I simply cannot find any other way around this and I am out of time and out of options. This means that if the player sniper is reckless in their approach and just tries to mow down enemy units in the base instead of providing careful and stealthy support for the rest of the team, they will likely be dead in 10 seconds or so. And - the undesirable effect - when the rest of the player infiltration team is engaging base units at longer ranges, they will find the enemy to be more accurate and deadly than what they really should be. On a positive note, most of the engagements with enemy units by the player infiltration team will be at close to moderate ranges inside of the base, and these accuracy changes will not normally affect those engagements. Lastly, even with this semi-harsh fix, it looks like it still may be possible the enemy units may decide to do very little firing at a moderate to long range enemy that is in prone stance to where eventually they may not fire at all anymore.

In the end, this issue with enemy units not firing properly on prone stance players at moderate to long ranges is clearly an Arma 3 issue, no one should ever be able to just camp out a position 300 meters away from an enemy and be invincible to being hit/detected  just because they are in prone stance -remembering that there already was an implemented fix for this in the mission with line drawing plus reveals/dowatch's to force engagements plus all units having scopes attached to their weapons, and issues persist even with this workaround- and I am finished with trying to get things like this to work in this game when they already should work. I do know that part of the issue here also revolves around the fact that I had to lock the mission time to 8:10 Am, which is technically 'daytime' and no longer night, yet still the mission time being early morning is affecting the Ai's ability to see by default at a distance, and yet I have no choice because any daytime setting beyond this causes the landscape to literally glow in massive brightness because of the lighting changes in the game. If there was simply a global Ai View Distance setting in the game that could be used it would have avoided All of these issues, but it does not exist. It's really all just a constant vicious circle of dealing with the issues in this game, frankly I'm just finished with it.

The issue in Arma 3 with SetUnitPos "UP" and Safe behavior - I don't know.. maybe it will be fixed in the next year.. maybe not. The mission is going out with things as is, I am not going to just let the mission sit around for the next potential 3 months waiting for a fix. (Cant just set all the units to aware, as this destroys the entire stealth based mission with the enemy already being in ready mode, apart from patrols ambling around with weapons raised) So, as long as these issues persist in Arma 3, one will see some units in the mission bug out. Spring is here, work is picking up, projects need attending and I am out of time with this mission, it either goes out as is or it never gets released.

Don't have time nor inclination right now to deal with PhotoBucket's advertisement spam and lag fest to put up pics, but there will be a selection of pics for the release thread.

Release should be soon, possibly today.

Awsome job, that looks stunning.

Where are the objects from though ? I need some snow objects and can't find many.

How about adding Monkey's Blizzard script? Its awesome and you could add the intensity when the player goes higher up. Also for altitude I think a nice disorienting PP effect + bumped weapon sway would work better than just killing the player which feels a little gamey. AI could send up an elite hunter team if player camps to long as well.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:48 AM, richie said:

Awsome job, that looks stunning.

Where are the objects from though ? I need some snow objects and can't find many.

Thanks Richie

The snow objects come packed with the Ural Fixed map - you can find the map on steam - to access the map objects I used NeoArmageddons A1 and A2 config addon files he provided in his mapbuilder and then combined them into one addon and signed it for Mp use and put the signed version up here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9w5idvrthust5k/MapBuilderObjects.7z?dl=0

and of course it is then a required addon if used in a mission along with the Ural Fixed map. I found that Cup Terrains does override those winter textures when active, so at least on my end I have to have it disabled when playing a mission with those objects - and Ural Fixed indicates that Cup Terrains is required, but all that is needed is the Pbo from Cup Terrains that contains the trees - you can look at my post in the Ural Fixed Steam release - I am MrPibb53 there - and it indicates which pbo to use.

For Op Arctic Front, I will be putting out an addon that contains the Cup Terrains tree pbo that the mission will require, so this issue will be easily solved upon mission release.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:08 AM, froggyluv said:

How about adding Monkey's Blizzard script? Its awesome and you could add the intensity when the player goes higher up. Also for altitude I think a nice disorienting PP effect + bumped weapon sway would work better than just killing the player which feels a little gamey. AI could send up an elite hunter team if player camps to long as well.

Thanks for the input.

It turns out that I actually had to disable the full blown snow storm effect as it is, it was taking a really big chunk out of the Fps, roughly 10 fps drop with it - so now there is just the light falling snow flakes plus the 4 player units all have cold weather breath effect - had to disable the breath effect from all other units, as it too was another contributor to frame rate loss.

Nice idea there, I was going to throw in a blur effect, but with the various effects already running in the snow storm scripts, I didn't want to chance some kind of conflict. The player sniper already starts out at a pretty high up position with a nice overview of the base, as they are at a separate position from the rest of the player units, normally the sniper would not even need to bother trying to go higher up, but I figured a small percentage of players would try it, and needed to put in some kind of prevention - the fade out effect does the job for something that is just a preventative and not really true mission play content, realistically I don't have the time to invest in any more features at this point.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The clearing of the enemy base as the main objective transformed into 3 specific areas (3 separate objectives) within the base so no one has to actually scour the entire compound looking for some lone straggler in some hidden spot.

Got a few pics up that had been taken last weekend:

Z31_zpsmugltbsf.jpg

Z32_zpswz9tqzjs.jpg

Z33_zpsrng047pa.jpg

Z34_zps1kzwap3e.jpg

Z35_zps0kd71vxm.jpg

Total base unit count is 69.

Then another 20 or so in the wilderness areas around the base.

Units are using Polpox's Calm Animations.

Thanks in part to Froggyluv for the idea of putting in an enemy 'hunter' team to go after the sniper under certain conditions, it helped to provide some motivation to put it in when I had previously decided I didn't want to deal with it. The enemy hunter team has helped a good bit with putting in check issues with the player sniper.

I should note that it may be possible that single player loaded saved games may not end up working with this mission. When trying to load a saved game I get a number of errors/failure, and it seems it may either be an issue with using the tree pbo by itself from Cup Terrains (which I have no way around) or it might just be caused by potentially massive save game file size due to the large volume of snow objects. For my part, I'm still glad that the mission is working out, despite this possible issue.

A few things left to clean up, a few more tests and that might be it.

An update:

Things have been worked out in the single player version of the mission so that team switch is enabled. This has really decreased the difficulty of the SP version with the player being able to switch in and out of the sniper role, as previously with just the Ai controlling the sniper they were more harmful than good. Overall the team switch has really improved the SP version, where essentially the player now has 4 lives, so despite the save games not working, this definitely makes the Sp version much more enjoyably playable.

The Coop MP version has the 4 playable units in separate groups to remove the automated voice overs allowing clear communications between players and prevents the automated voices from conflicting with the true voices of the players when voice chat is being used.

Both versions have the aiming coefficient and recoil reduced to roughly 0.3 (slight differences between combat roles) and in the SP version the sniper has it dropped to 0.1 in order to help compensate for the lack of true player support from the other members in the team.

Enemy units have their long range accuracy values toned down a bit with the enemy hunter team working quite well to prevent the player sniper from attempting to decimate the base forces over a lengthy period of time.

Still cleaning up a few last things.

Mission has been released.

BIS forums topic link :

Operation Arctic Front

Moderators can please lock this Wip thread, it no longer has relevance.

On 3/19/2017 at 11:02 PM, froggyluv said:

AI is pretty good, better than any other game on the market infact. If you just put the AI skill and precision to 100 and have a decent computer, you'll see the AI do wonders. Kindly change your computer first which seems to have trouble with Arma engine before ignorantly blaming the AI and all.

13 minutes ago, ak47-su said:

AI is pretty good, better than any other game on the market infact. If you just put the AI skill and precision to 100 and have a decent computer, you'll see the AI do wonders. Kindly change your computer first which seems to have trouble with Arma engine before ignorantly blaming the AI and all.

Ignorantly blaming AI? You dont know me friend. I have been involved with the AI since OFP. I also have a blazing fast PC> But that doesnt help against an AI with archaic pathfinding system, with broken animation system, with uncalibrated skilltrees. Just the fact you said put AI skill to"100" shows you have no idea what your talking about. 

edit: also username checks out

9 hours ago, froggyluv said:

Ignorantly blaming AI? You dont know me friend. I have been involved with the AI since OFP. I also have a blazing fast PC> But that doesnt help against an AI with archaic pathfinding system, with broken animation system, with uncalibrated skilltrees. Just the fact you said put AI skill to"100" shows you have no idea what your talking about. 

edit: also username checks out

Mocking someone by their username just shows how pathetic you are. Putting the skill to 1 , improves all their subskills like pathfinding, flank tactics and reaction times, but the simple fact you don't know about that shows how biased you are. Just watch some of the trailers and gameplay vids of ppl who actually know how to use the editor(otherwise they couldn't have published such great DLCs). AI was massively improved after the Tanks update, but you don't seem to know about it either and yet you say you have been involved with the franchise. The getting stuck in buildings happen because of engine limitation not AI, dumbass, know the difference first and then speak . Also rewatch a tutorial about the editor, might change your views too, that is if you even manage to learn something given your state of mind. Also remember, this is a franchise created by actual military personnel so they would obviously program tactics as per their own experience and military doctrine and not how Call of Duty players like yourself would use tactics in a battlefield. Now I know where this hate comes from . Its simply from your lack of understanding and the inability to put your teeth in these kind of games with high learning curves. This is why you spit on the game, just to satisfy your little ego. But kindly do it somewhere else, this is a place for people who genuinely share their love for a brilliant game. 

edit: your username isn't too bright either dumbass. 

49 minutes ago, ak47-su said:

Mocking someone by their username just shows how pathetic you are

10 hours ago, ak47-su said:

Looks like irony gets lost on you friend

Putting the skill to 1 , improves all their subskills like pathfinding, flank tactics and reaction times, but the simple fact you don't know about that shows how biased you are

i know exactly how AI subskills works -matter fact ive spent probably hundreds of hours analyzing and calibrating them as well as adjusting them to change even when doing things the vanilla engine doesnt do like when they are inside buildings, around alot of clutter or even when AI are hiding in shadow. Id garner if you really wanna roll those dice ill explain AI to you around circles till your heads spin

AI was massively improved after the Tanks update

Really? Massively improved? Name some engine AI features then?

The getting stuck in buildings happen because of engine limitation not AI, dumbass, know the difference first and then speak

Trust me i do - the engine limitation is the Devs not wanting (until now with reforger) to implement proper navmesh as opposed to baked in model pathing nodes that the AI have to blindly follow at a snails pace like blind lemmings. The devs could have been working on this or at the very least, stop designing buildings without proper AI paths built in or where there feet go thru the floor. That was and is very doable -they chose not to.

Also remember, this is a franchise created by actual military personnel so they would obviously program tactics as per their own experience and military doctrine and not how Call of Duty players like yourself would use tactics in a battlefield

Lmao. Your kidding right? The AI do not use real military doctrine as they barely know when to stand, crouch, lean, go towards cover, move away from killing zones etc -alls they know how to do is Flank. If you know some deeper military routines thats implemented -feel free to share. Ive never owned a Call of Duty game once -heard theyre fun but not my cup of tea

Now I know where this hate comes from . Its simply from your lack of understanding and the inability to put your teeth in these kind of games with high learning curves

You prejudge and dont know me or my work with the AI -just rest assured that your "misunderstood"

This is why you spit on the game, just to satisfy your little ego.

Funny I had an AI mod named EGO for Arma -never released it publicly but you can see it on youtube i believe

edit: your username isn't too bright either dumbass. 

Ahhh, glad to see you realized irony at the end !! oh, my bad, you didnt... ...

Don't waste your time,  @froggyluv

Stop digging up dead topics, @ak47-su. It's only one of a couple of forum rules you have broken. 

2 hours ago, froggyluv said:

Looks like irony gets lost on you friend

i know exactly how AI subskills works -matter fact ive spent probably hundreds of hours analyzing and calibrating them as well as adjusting them to change even when doing things the vanilla engine doesnt do like when they are inside buildings, around alot of clutter or even when AI are hiding in shadow. Id garner if you really wanna roll those dice ill explain AI to you around circles till your heads spin

Really? Massively improved? Name some engine AI features then?

Trust me i do - the engine limitation is the Devs not wanting (until now with reforger) to implement proper navmesh as opposed to baked in model pathing nodes that the AI have to blindly follow at a snails pace like blind lemmings. The devs could have been working on this or at the very least, stop designing buildings without proper AI paths built in or where there feet go thru the floor. That was and is very doable -they chose not to.

Lmao. Your kidding right? The AI do not use real military doctrine as they barely know when to stand, crouch, lean, go towards cover, move away from killing zones etc -alls they know how to do is Flank. If you know some deeper military routines thats implemented -feel free to share. Ive never owned a Call of Duty game once -heard theyre fun but not my cup of tea

You prejudge and dont know me or my work with the AI -just rest assured that your "misunderstood"

Funny I had an AI mod named EGO for Arma -never released it publicly but you can see it on youtube i believe

Ahhh, glad to see you realized irony at the end !! oh, my bad, you didnt... ...

If you're so good (better than the devs as you say), why don't you release something of your own, like that mod you say , or any other AI mod. Even the AI modders have built their stuff upon everything that the AI offered, but weren't set to do, not from scratch. Its very easy to loath and criticize someone else(in this case the devs), but extremely hard to come up with something original. Making a game as ambitious as Arma needs money, lots of it, which I don't think the devs make bcoz of haters like you. Every game has faults in AI, no game has perfect AI, and in Arma the AI actually chooses from a wide array of tactics themselves, nothing is set here, which is why every playthrough is different. About military routines you say they don't know when to crouch , lean ,move away from kill zones. Well I totally disagree. When fired upon from an unknown location they go prone and try to minimize their silhouette. This is a very widely used tactic and you can verify this from several actual war footages and military documentaries. After that some of them try to shoot back while others try to flank your last known position. Sometimes if you manage to take out the majority of their group they throw smoke and fall back, otherwise if the battle draws for longer period of time, they manage to flank you successfully. When engaged in crossfire with you several times they crouch and peak from behind cover to shoot you. Sometimes they utilize thin cover and shoot through them to get you. Arma AI is based on a morale system. Sometimes you may see some last stand behavior from them, at other times they decide to fall back. If you take out Team leaders the tactics also get haphazard. Just in a multiplayer mode called Combat Patrol I've often seen them either call for vehicular backup, drone backup or both or no back up at all after you are discovered. If you haven't come across these then I believe you've never really tested anything.

Now for the building part, the reason why the devs use the old buildings and pathways are because till Arma 3 they were building upon the original Flashpoint engine, they were reusing the old base codes. Devs do that to save money, every dev does that, its nothing new, its also totally normal in the Software Industry to reuse old codes and build upon them until nothing newer is possible and the time comes which demands a total overhaul. But ppl like you would have them build everything from scratch for every game, won't you, then kindly finance them the next time alongside providing your advice too.

And please, I hardly doubt you have understood anything substantial about Arma AI during all these years. If anything your absurd lack of knowledge is making my head spin in circles. And based on your depth of understanding  I am having trouble believing you even know the meaning of the word "irony".

2 hours ago, Harzach said:

Don't waste your time,  @froggyluv

Stop digging up dead topics, @ak47-su. It's only one of a couple of forum rules you have broken. 

Funny how the rules do not enforce that false and unjustified criticism of the forum's main game should not be pampered in any way. That is allowed. But if someone has the courage to speak against it, then that guy is breaking rules. I am sure you have other better thing to do than teach me rules like a school principal.

9 hours ago, ak47-su said:

Funny how the rules do not enforce that false and unjustified criticism of the forum's main game should not be pampered in any way. That is allowed. But if someone has the courage to speak against it, then that guy is breaking rules. I am sure you have other better thing to do than teach me rules like a school principal.

Please don't dig up old threads, especially when the thread was originally opened in 2017.

Also please make sure to follow our forum rules, we don't tolerate:

1) No Flaming/Flame-baiting/bigotry

Abusive, racist, sexist, homophobic comments (or any other type of bigotry), profanity, personal attacks and name calling are not allowed either on the board or through PM's. If you receive a PM that is abusive or you find offensive please forward it to a moderator who will investigate.

Flame-baiting is also not tolerated; flame-baiting is making a post to someone that is obviously intended to elicit an angry response. Mocking/teasing/ridiculing someone or the point someone wants to make is also flame-baiting. This also applies to other areas of the forums such as leaving visitor messages on people's profiles as well as quoting someone against their wishes in your signature to belittle/tease/mock them. If someone asks you to remove something they posted on the forum from your signature you must remove it.

• Like 1