Auntystatic

workshop continuously trying to update a zero byte file

4 hours ago, Auntystatic said:

Built: mar 8 2017 , at 08:06:44

steam api: v017

steam package version 1488992261

Loaded it this morning, the problem is still there unfortunately :g::help:  :face_palm:

Mine is exactly the same as Auntystatics and I unfortunately still have the issue/problem.error.

Maybe some good news.  Steam released another beta client update and it appears to have fixed my issue/problem/error.

Edited by kman_(kya)
Steam beta update fix?

20 hours ago, kman_(kya) said:

Mine is exactly the same as Auntystatics and I unfortunately still have the issue/problem.error.

Maybe some good news.  Steam released another beta client update and it appears to have fixed my issue/problem/error.

Likewise I updated my Steam client last night and it seems to have fixed this issue.

The question is will the fix stick?

Fingers crossed

• Like 1

just uploaded the new version and it looks like it has finally fixed my problem too, what a nice birthday present for me yippppie, thanks to everyone that helped out with this problem and the fixers :don11:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BIS_Wizard said:

Valve has release updated Steam client (stable, not beta) yesterday (9th March). I believe that it contains the fix as well.

Thanks BI Wizard for what seems like you help sort. :)

Doesn't work for me, unfortunately.

Logged on and STEAM immediately began to download 36.8 GB 'updates'. It did not update the client first.

I paused the download. Went to "Steam > Check for Steam Client Updates" & got the response "Your client is already up to date".

There are no Steam .exe or .dll files modified more recently than 19/01/2017 and the creation dates are mostly much older. The Steam.exe, for example, was created on 19/11/2012, modified 19/01/2017. File version is 3.78.49.52.

In the client there is no option to "Move install folder.." which I believe was introduced back in January. So the currently installed client is many weeks out of date.

Have emailed STEAM support asking how to update the client manually - I am not going to do a full uninstall/rinstall of the game and ~70 GB of mods.

My contempt for STEAM software just increased by several notches...

Update: still not fixed.

Steam replied to my ticket with some face-saving waffle about 'interfering programs'. There are none - I disable almost all "run at start" apps, I use Black Viper's 'tweaked' configuration for services; and GameBooster to i.d. & close all irrelevant processes when I want to play ArmA.

Their other suggestion was to download the installer then uninstall / reboot / reinstall the Steam client. As I was uploading a rather large file, I decided to try reinstalling over the top of the existing install. No problem - after the install, no requirement to reboot, it connected & updated first a ca. 25 MB file then a ca. 40 MB file. It then fired up, asked for my PW, and connected. Client was clearly updated; it has the "Move this install" option, and it connected to Steam without trying to redownload most of the mods.

Unfortunately on reconnecting this morning, it again started to download 36.8 GB of 'updates'. It's possible that the fubar over the replicated folders, etc., has resulted in workshop-related files that contain outdated or incorrect data. Looks like I will have to move the ArmA 3 folder out of the Steam folder and go through the uninstall / reinstall routine. I already backed up the game files, and all the mods are mirrored on both of my WD external drives.

Oh yes - this version now includes a useless 'run at start' default. FFS, it seems every half-arsed programmer and their dog puts that into their s/w. There are very few programs that need to run at the start. I take it as an indicating a certain degree of stupidity.

Edit, March 13.

I ran a duplicate-file hunt. Multiple mod folders have been duplicated; looks like Steam simultaneously updated one file in both instances, at least once. The game is essentially unplayable now. There is no way I know of finding out what Steam intends to download, let lone edit that list.

Thank you for the update BIS_Wizard, and especially for the info about finding what version is installed.

I fired up Steam and checked - it said my version was dated 08.01.2017 (!!)

When it had updated. I stopped it trying to download 36GB+ of (non-)updates,

My steam version: help > about:  returned a date of 19/01/2017 (!!).

Oh ye gods and little fishes...

Allowed it to update (yet again) and endlich, it agrees with your post.

I stand by my earlier (albeit very harshly worded post) that it is very hard to have confidence in an updating (amongst other functions) program that cannot update itself reliably.

Ofc it will not resolve the problems I have with the replicated folders.I have been waiting almost 36 hrs for a response from Steam support; possibly that division of Valve is as clueless as (or dependent upon) the team that borked the client in the first place.

Self-help time.

I will post any solutions that work in this forum, given the abysmal performance of Valve.

3 hours ago, orcinus said:

Thank you for the update BIS_Wizard, and especially for the info about finding what version is installed.

I fired up Steam and checked - it said my version was dated 08.01.2017 (!!)

When it had updated. I stopped it trying to download 36GB+ of (non-)updates,

My steam version: help > about:  returned a date of 19/01/2017 (!!).

Oh ye gods and little fishes...

Allowed it to update (yet again) and endlich, it agrees with your post.

I stand by my earlier (albeit very harshly worded post) that it is very hard to have confidence in an updating (amongst other functions) program that cannot update itself reliably.

Ofc it will not resolve the problems I have with the replicated folders.I have been waiting almost 36 hrs for a response from Steam support; possibly that division of Valve is as clueless as (or dependent upon) the team that borked the client in the first place.

Self-help time.

I will post any solutions that work in this forum, given the abysmal performance of Valve.

Before criticising Valve so harshly, please give some consideration to:

a) their track record: how often have you been unable to play a game because of Valve issue? because in my case, not often. And when I have, it's usually been corrected within hours. Maybe I've been on Steam too long (13 years) but I've rarely been seriously inconvenienced.

b) their scope: a global digital distribution platform is very ambitious, just look at how well their competitors are doing...

c) their installed base: imagine all PCs you've ever seen in your life. Some of them are terribly maintained and/or very weird configs. Now imagine having to cater for everyone. Welcome to user config hell.

Hi guys

Now im with this issue. Appeared after recent 1.84 update.

Infinite download 13gb 

Chronology of events:

1.Updated to 1.84. Download finished correctly

2.Download loop started - 13gb

3.Moved to latest version of Steam Client 1 aug 2018 assembly 

4.Verified arma 3 files. Steam told me approximately 627 (or 327?) files to redownload. Steam refreshed (downloaded) files for game - integrity became ok. Btw during this procedure steam rechecked 13gb download (the same volume as during download loop).

5.Download loop started again the same amount of 13gb.

6.I stopped download and flushed download cache through steam preferences

7.Download loop continued its job with no changes.

Please help

Bumping this as I am now having this issue again and validating my files for oh about 36+ hours now... Help!

Still here in 2019 with the same "0 byte workshop update" problem.

On 1/7/2019 at 4:13 PM, BJHawk said:

Still here in 2019 with the same "0 byte workshop update" problem.

LOL. Sorry for necro this post, but .. man... almost two years later I am here with the same, although small, problem. Oh well... maybe they keep doing it to avoid much bigger issue so it seems I will have to live with that 😉