pettka

"3FPS Issue" - Call for Help

Ok, something is weird on my PC.

I've opened up the game, opened up cmd prompt as admin (elevated privs on windows 10 home).

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>d:

D:\>set path=%path%;d:\Utilities\Procdump\;d:\Utilities\PSTools\;

D:\>pslist arma3

PsList v1.4 - Process information lister
Copyright (C) 2000-2016 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

Process information for ANDROID:

Name                Pid Pri Thd  Hnd   Priv        CPU Time    Elapsed Time
ArmA3Sync          3484   8  35  533 352180     0:00:04.843     0:16:21.153
arma3battleye      5232   8   2  134   1800     0:00:00.015     0:15:58.225
arma3              5168   8  49 2146 2302980     0:02:55.515     0:15:55.620

D:\>procdump 5168

ProcDump v8.2 - Sysinternals process dump utility
Copyright (C) 2009-2016 Mark Russinovich and Andrew Richards

[08:01:51] Dump 1 initiated: D:\arma3.exe_170218_080151.dmp
[08:01:51] Dump 1 error: Error writing dump file: 0x80070005
Access is denied. (0x80070005, -2147024891)

[08:01:51] Dump count not reached.

D:\>whoami
android\miliv

D:\dumps>psexec -s -i cmd.exe

PsExec v2.2 - Execute processes remotely
Copyright (C) 2001-2016 Mark Russinovich

Last command opens the cmd as system user. When trying the same procdump as system user I still get the error.

D:\Utilities\Procdump>procdump 5168

[08:07:56] Dump 1 initiated: D:\Utilities\Procdump\arma3.exe_170218_080756.dmp
[08:07:56] Dump 1 error: Error writing dump file: 0x80070005
Access is denied. (0x80070005, -2147024891)

[08:07:56] Dump count not reached.

I've checked security options and both system and me have the privilege to write to that folder. I have no AV except Windows Defender. And the weird thing is this:

D:\Utilities\Procdump>procdump.exe 7560

[08:13:14] Dump 1 initiated: D:\Utilities\Procdump\Origin.exe_170218_081314.dmp
[08:13:15] Dump 1 complete: 12 MB written in 1.0 seconds
[08:13:15] Dump count reached.

So it seems I can dump other processes but not Arma3. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rasmus said:

this bug happens to me when a lot of smoke appears. Just saying. If i were bohemia i would roleback to the 1.65 version of the game. Its not only this annoying 3-6 FPs bug. its also that rocketlaunchers and locking on to enemy tanks or choppers or jets is not working anymore like it worked before. 

In Koth my launchers are losing their target even if the pawnee or jet is clearly visible. I have to reload my launcher or sometimes i need to take my Maingun and than switch back to the launcher to get the target locked. I got the feeling that every "update" is more like causing problems than solving them.

The 3FPS bug is as old as APEX itself*, we would have to roll back to 1.60  and even then it's likely that the bug is already there but less prominent.

*Got it on the Island of Tanoa in one of our first missions.

15 hours ago, dave_beastttt said:

All files are DxDiags (?), that won't help.

Devs need:

• procdumps
  • captureFrame
  • minidumps (mdmp)
  • .rpt

the most.

Check the tracker for more details https://feedback.bistudio.com/T123238

• Like 2

On 18.02.2017. at 11:31 AM, Faelucc said:

@tomhighway Yes, this is BattlEye. Disable it and you should be able to use procdump.

I can confirm - disabling battleye is the solution.

• Like 1

I have been getting this issue for the past 2 weeks now, I feel sorry for the people who have had it for months but I had never heard of this problem until recently when it started to happen to me. It was only when I did a search and came across this thread that I realised many others are having this issue. Since I'm late to the show it would be pointless of me to follow the instruction from page 1 as it seems it does not work so I'm going to add what the trouble is that I have in game.

I mainly only play King Of The Hill and Wasteland and I can tell you this bug doesn't happen with Wasteland for me, it always happens with King Of The Hill. When I get on a server I have no problems but it always starts around the 20 minute mark and then the game will stutter getting 4fps. I have tried to wait it out and sometimes it will pass and I think to myself "oh it's fixed" until I die and then click respawn then my game crashes altogether and I have to quit. This has been happening for the past 2 weeks on a daily basis and I have no idea what it is but I hope they fix it soon but looking at the length of time it has been going on I don't hold out much hope.

It is getting to the point where it's unplayable, I mean it has got to the point for me where I just don't seem interested in playing King Of The Hill anymore because I know what is about to happen. Please fix this issue and do not release anything else until it is fixed.

• Like 2

So everytime i get this bug text pops up to my screen: No entry 'bin/config.bin/CfgVehicles/Heli_Transport_03_unarmed_base_F/Turrets/CargoTurret_01.maxHorizontalRotSpeed'.

First time I`ve ever seen this bloody annoying bug in action today.

Was involved in a simple (and small) zeus-led mission defending one of the default military bases on Altis with about 5 or so clan members. Nothing at all that you`d ever think would cause any trouble, and around the 2 hour mark everything suddenly went all 16-bit, blocky, with the corrupted meshes, and obviously the terrible jerky framerate. Having spent many a time up to 12 hours in a single session in a populated server in the Unsung mod with no problems whatsoever at all, it was a bit of a surprise (and major annoyance), to say the least. Had to alt-tab out and manually shut down A3 to get my machine back, as the game hung hard on exit.

I`ll very much try to grab what I can from the tools available next time I`m heading into that sort of session, in case it happens again.

i have yet 2 suffer from this problem but i can't play the game with my gfx card clocked at 2Ghz i can tell u my exact specs and settings as one of my other friends hasnt had the bug yet either and hes got his settings the same as mine

Edited by GrannyWithaGun9

Why BI does not update us on progress? Because we are working ... right?

@Danny84 Your feedback seems interesting... Can I ask you to do something please ?

The problem is : the REAL issue isn't the "3 fps bug", but the leak that causes it. If you don't have the 3 fps bug when playing Wasteland, it could means 3 things:

1/ You don't have the leak.

2/ You still have the leak, but it is less "intense" that when you play KotH (so you can play longer).

3/ You still have the leak, with the same "intensity", but when playing Wasterland your game use less memory, leaving more memory for the leak to "expend" and so more time before reaching the 3 fps bug (or simply crashing).

As you experience the issue depending on the mode you play, could you monitor "arma3.exe" memory usage with perfmon when playing Wasterland please?

To do it:

1. Launch Arma 3 (it needs to be in the process list during the configuration).

2. Open perfmon (available on a standard Windows installation, nothing to download/install)

3. Under "Data Collector Sets", right-click on "User Defined" > "New" > "Data Collector Set"

4. Choose a name, select "Create manually" and click on "Next"

5. Select "Performance counter" and click on "Next"

6. Choose a sample interval (I have selected "1 second" without experiencing any performances issue)

7. Click on "Add"

8. Click on "Process"

9. In the process list, select "arma3.exe"

10. Add the following counters to the list on the right (with the "Add >>" button), and click on "OK" :

* Page Faults/sec

* Page File Bytes

* Private Bytes

* Virtual Bytes

* Working Set

* Working Set - Private

* Working Set Peak

11. (You are now back on the previous window) Click on "Next"

12. Choose the log file location (your desktop? :p) and name, and click on "Finish"

12. You can now exit Arma 3 if you want.

13. Next time you want to play Wasterland, please open perfmon, right-click on your new collector set (under "Data Collector Sets" / "User Defined") and click on "Start", then launch the game normally (you don't need to disable BattlEye)

14. Play play play... :)

15. After exiting the game (hopefully after some hours), use "Stop" to stop monitoring

16. Please send us the log file, or a screenshot of the result.

It may look like this :

Arma3_Perfmon_Mem_Leak.png

This is a very easy way to "validate" that you really don't have the memory leak when playing Wasterland. It may not be as detailed as the logs provided by some tools like Dr. Memory or UMDH, but it doesn't require to stop BattleEye and it's good enough to tell us what we need to know (if you play for some hours).

Thanks!!!

• Like 2

Thanks a lot for all the feedback and reports! We are categorizing the possible causes, be it hardware, drivers and modifications, still, there is no simple clear cause. We have managed to squash some suspects, even some larger communities are trying the RC of Update 1.68 to see if we managed to get rid of the issue itself in the process. And we are really thankful for all that effort you guys spend on helping us to fix it.

• Like 13

I run an Exile server and the "3 FPS issue" became a chronic problem for me ramping up the more I added to the server (mods/assets/scripts). Ultimately I was experiencing the issue within 5-15 min of server startup and after weeks of experiencing this bug regularly, I stumbled upon the setting that was creating most my havoc (loot spawning). I realized that I had loot spawns set to 30 minutes and maximum radius set (300m). So as I traveled around the world, I left behind tons of loot which stayed in the world far beyond my presence. The more I traveled, the worse it got.

I realize that this isn't likely the cause for others experiencing this issue but this would be a good way to attempt to reproduce the memory leak. Once I changed these settings 15 minutes for loot spawns and 75m range, my crashing went from every 5-15 min to once a server restart if it crashed at all.   

Yep im just shooting from the hip again

All though it is not possible to do these suggestions, just think about what if you where able to disable them completely or abstract out that feature.

- Remove all ambient life and ambient life audio

- Remove all weather effects (the code only ever stayed at 1p.m sunny no clouds as a client/server environment would be impossible to code)

- 3D Stereoscopic feature of graphics cards was never invented

- Audio was never coded in to the game

- All clients and servers everywhere around the world had the same clock-time

- The was only ever one programming language that everyone used

- You could not sync objects to each other

- All arrays where removed and a third party database was introduced to store and manage data on the fly

- The game had infantry only with only one type of gun and one magazine

- There was only one graphics/audio setting for every client

- We all used the same keyboard/mouse/monitor/joystick brand and setup

Then there is still lots more to cover

The different hardware we use

AI programming is quite hard

Ballistics 

DLL's and programming library issues

Vanilla objects, DLC objects and modded objects

Event handlers and garbage collection

Steam and Battleye security and net-code

Randomisation algorithms 

The Dev's are doing a fine job with limited resources. Some very clever community members add to this development. It may be one piece of code or many combined attributes that are the cause of the memory leaks. We won't no until we find that solution. Keep on bashing those keyboards and tomorrows solutions will appear in your sleep.

I'm putting my bet on the AI is wearing itchy clothing and tight fitting boots.

so what can we exclude at this stage?

It happens without mods

Its not Battleye

..... ?

I've been having this problem since I started playing Arma 3 again a few weeks ago, and the annoyance of it has led me to post on this forum haha. The arma wiki has listed the problem codes failed_to_init_'xxx' or failed to write memory, and the possible causes for those codes vary from overheating, gpu drivers, steam overlay enabled, corrupt game files, corrupt system files, and HDD read errors. It's actually led me to install some software from NZXT that's great for monitoring cpu, gpu, ram, and system temperature.. which led me to rule out the GPU overheating since the bug would occur anywhere from 110-155 degrees. 

I tried the old pre 1.66 fix of limiting memory by use of a launch parameter, but realized others pointed out that post 1.66 that parameter doesn't really apply anymore, along with enable HT (I did pick up some fps by setting my "cores" value to 4 via the launcher). However, so I could better anticipate the dreaded moment the 3fps bug kicks in, I decided to leave task manager opened on another monitor while I was playing so I could monitor Arma 3's memory usage. 

What I noticed is that EVERY TIME the arma3.exe hits 3060-3070mb, the textures will tank, and the 3 fps sets in. I've also noticed that if I leave the game running, the memory usage value will creep down at a steady rate. While game play doesn't go back to normal, I've let it drop down to 2,970mb before closing the application. So, even though the game runs normally at anywhere below the magic 3060mb mark, once you hit that ceiling it appears only a re-launch of the game completely fixes the issue. 

Thanks to the Devs for keeping us up to date with your progress. It's nice to know we aren't just trying to fix this ourselves :drinking2:

Mods Used:

CUP Vehicles

CUP Units

CUP Weapons

Enhanced Soundscape

Dyna Sound 2

CBA_A3

3den Enhanced

My Specs (2560x1440 resolution) Win 10 Pro x64

i7-7600k (@4.8GHz)

GTX 1080 (stock)

32gb ddr4

SSD system drive

2x 500gb WD HDD (arma directory)

• Like 2

I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but when playing recently i started "bleeding FPS" first it wasnt noticeable but after a while it started droping 1 frame per minute down untill 6-3 fps, I assume this was caused by shit stacking up on the memory. 

Also another of my encounters with the "3 FPS Bug" was so severe I got it within 20-40 mins of play everyday. Didnt know what it was but I went into "windows key + pause/brake" and saw it only showed 8gb of ram (I have 16 installed). I took out and re-slotted the ram, still the bug. I took out the ram, my CPU and reinstalled them. This apperently fixed the error for some reason.

I have also heard speculations about creating a new profile would fix it but  havent tried.

I have also been getting a lot of crashed caused by memory faliures and so on. 

An example in zeus: you have 2 cars grouped together in one squad. Then you place another squad in the vic that is not SL. If you now group the AI in the back of the car to the squad in front, there is a chanse of a crash. I will try to reproduce this.

Hope this helped

Edited by SilentSamuraii
Added more content.

I came to this page searching for a fix, i see the dev's still look for an awnser.

My situation, as the bug happened twice:

Server: 77th Jsoc

Where: Tower in HQ

Situation: I was standing next to a couple of big machine guns with tracer rounds, when they started fireing the bug kicked in.

Server: 77th Jsoc

Where: Crouched down near HQ on landing strip

Situation: Multiple heavy machine gunners sitting next to me. we kicked the **** out of HQ.

upon entering HQ and standing on the building, heavy fire again happened..as wel as a big tank rolling in..  Bug kicked in.

I have the idea that it is a combination of sound and video, which may be overloading or be too overwhelming for the computer to handle.

in both situations heavy, and i mean heavy gunfire were applied with tracer rounds... screen shocks couple times, then goes into the 3fps state.

also i was, both of the times inside of a compound/building, i do not think this has to do with the issue, i think sound vs video(lots of stuff going on simultaniously) may be a cause looking at my occurrences.

im playing on laptop:
Win 10 64bit
Intel Core i7-4720HQ
8 GB DDR 3
HDD :1000 GB
SSD :128 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M Videokaart 2048 MB

Edited by Evilhomer87
  • Like 1

Hey folks!

I think there is a light at the end of the tunnel!! :) Because it got so worse with this bug on our exile taunus server (average every 10 min...), we decided yesterday to switch the server to the RC Version.The server is running in 32bit and the clients are connecting in 64bit. Except some minor problems, everything is working fine so far.

AND no one had the bug anymore! RAM usage client side between 3,5 and 8,7 GB... :) Top playercount: 35-40 player, i think... And the database is really full (mysql / extdb2)....

just to let you know...

cheers!

yesyesjo

---

www.cdah-gaming.com

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Devastator_cm said:

I wonder when it will be released as stable version

I wonder when people will understand... Not having the 3 fps bug doesn't mean you don't have the issue. Why didn't you crash in 64 bits? Because there where no memory leak? Or simply because you can now use so much RAM that you simply didn't play long enough to crash? You should check that...

About this bug, this will be the difference between 32 and 64 bits:

* 32 bits: your game will crash as soon as the total memory used reach 4 GB

* 64 bits: your game will use as much as memory it can. When your physical memory will reach a threshold, your FPS will drop to 3... and actually all your computer will start to be really slow! If your paging file is too small, your system could crash....

Play with a view distance of 10 km in ultra settings for some time, just to try :)

what?
I am in stable version so relax.

they will not bring 64bit with next release but they were working with other improvements which might, by luck, fixes the 3fps

I did quote the wrong person, wanted to quote yesyesjo...

8 minutes ago, Devastator_cm said:

they were working with other improvements which might, by luck, fixes the 3fps

I hope so (and it will be easy to check).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Evilhomer87 said:

I have the idea that it is a combination of sound and video, which may be overloading or be too overwhelming for the computer to handle.

in both situations heavy, and i mean heavy gunfire were applied with tracer rounds... screen shocks couple times, then goes into the 3fps state.

I have the same thoughts. In my case this "3 fps bug" happened couple of times when I was close to the battle and using scope (rifle and vehicle) on MP servers with mods and without mods. One time I got this bug when I was hiding inside building in a town full of enemy AI units and helicopter controlled by the player on enemy side started to make a gunfire from helicopter to the buildings near me. I was looking to the wall inside building at that moment and didn't see any explosions or any visual effects. But second later after I heard that helicopter started fire and heard explosions close to my position I got that "3 fps bug". I suppose that this bug is related to visual effects from weapon shots (fire, smoke, tracers), sound effects from weapon shots, LODs switching between undamaged/damaged states, PhysX.

I had tried to lower video settings and disable all post effects in game (motion blur, depth of field, etc.) but it doesn't help to prevent this bug to happen.

Sometimes I am able to recover from this bug by entering to the game menu for 20-30 seconds or pressing Alt-Tab to switch the application in Windows for 20-30 secs. Sometimes it helps but later game crashes with the error anyway. If I leave the zone where this bug happened than I can play a bit more after recovery. If I keep stay in this zone where bug happened than game will crash with the critical error.

15 hours ago, Faelucc said:

I wonder when people will understand... Not having the 3 fps bug doesn't mean you don't have the issue. Why didn't you crash in 64 bits? Because there where no memory leak? Or simply because you can now use so much RAM that you simply didn't play long enough to crash? You should check that...

About this bug, this will be the difference between 32 and 64 bits:

* 32 bits: your game will crash as soon as the total memory used reach 4 GB

* 64 bits: your game will use as much as memory it can. When your physical memory will reach a threshold, your FPS will drop to 3... and actually all your computer will start to be really slow! If your paging file is too small, your system could crash....

Play with a view distance of 10 km in ultra settings for some time, just to try :)

ähhh, sorry man... dont know what to say to that. except: your right!

BUT it seems you got another point of view. i guess most people/player here just want to play the game without crashing to death every 10 minutes in great fight situations or flying an expensive chopper... and i would bet, that 90% of the people here tried to play the game in absolutly minimum settings just to be able to play. less people are even thinking about ultra settings right now... ;)

but anyway, we all want the same: no 3fps bug.

cheers!