Sign in to follow this  

[Solved]Particle effect (fog) seems to fail half the time

Hello

I've spent some time tweaking some values in Alias's Snow Storm scripts for a winter based mission, and found that for some strange unknown reason, the particle effect for the blowing fog fails roughly half the time and does nothing.

Here is the code area, in its original form:

alias_drop_fog_factor = 0.01+random 0.1;
publicVariable "alias_drop_fog_factor";

_alias_local_fog = "#particlesource" createVehicleLocal (getpos vehicle player);
  if (vehicle player != player) then {_alias_local_fog attachto [vehicle player];} else {_alias_local_fog attachto [player];};
  _alias_local_fog setParticleCircle [50, [3, 3, 0]];
  _alias_local_fog setParticleRandom [10, [0.25, 0.25, 0], [1, 1, 0], 1, 1, [0, 0, 0, 0.1], 0, 0];
  _alias_local_fog setParticleParams [["\A3\data_f\cl_basic", 1, 0, 1], "", "Billboard", 1, 12, [0, 0, 0], [-1, -1, 0], 100, 10.15,
  7.9, 0.2, [10, 10, 20], [[1, 1, 1, 0.01], [1, 1, 1, 0.1+random 0.2], [1, 1, 1, 0]], [0.08], 1, 0, "", "", vehicle player];
  _alias_local_fog setDropInterval alias_drop_fog_factor;

I have even tried commenting out the setParticleRandom line completely, and found that the random failure still happens - and there is no error either, half the time the fog just does not show.

I also tried locking in a solid value for the SetDropInterval value, and it made no difference either. I know that the code area is always executing from putting in a hint to be sure, and there is a snowing particle effect that is run just before this one (in the same script) which works 100% of the time.

Is there maybe an issue with some particle effects where they can just inherently bug out sometimes? I really have no clue what would be causing this.

Issue is solved.

Found out that I had too many particle effects going on at once. I had previously set the full scale blizzard snow plus the blowing fog plus unit breath enabled - once I turned down the snow fall setting back to the original setting that was set to go with the blowing fog (which is significantly less) it is working now.