IndeedPete

Mod Workflow - Changing Source Files without Re-Building Every Time

Heya,

I'm pretty sure I've read this before somewhere. That it is possible to work on source files of a mod while the game is running. In this particular case, I wish to work on common functions registered through CfgFunctions, and I don't want to re-build the mod and restart the game everytime I test and make a change to some file. So I've set up the mod folder as usual in the "Arma 3\@MyMod\MyMod\fnc\etc..." where MyMod would turn into the PBO once built through Arma 3 Tools. But even though I enabled -filePatching I get crashes when a mission is trying to include "\MyMod\fnc\myConfigFile.hpp". I don't think it's a file path issue as it works fine when I replace the MyMod source folder with the built PBO.

Could anyone walk me through an example on how to achieve that? Being able to edit mod files (not the config.cpp though) while the game is running?

If it's fncs registered in cfgFunctions, then you can open the pause/debug menu, click on functions and then click on recompile.

edit sorry, I thought you had them stored in mission folder, not mod.  My bad

Thanks, chaps!

I see some problems with that though. First, I'd rather create (or maintain) content on the Stable branch since this is what my target audience will play on. And second, I'm don't have to be able to alter the config while running the game, it's more about the function files itself.

There are 3 different methods which I use to develop/test functions:

1) 4-Re method: Rewrite, Recompile, Restart, Retest. Although this is the slowest of all, it does ensure that your changes are 100% working in combination with other script, and is required if you made changes to multiple files and configs.

2) Test Mission: for relative small functions I use a simple test mission in which I can add the function/script and simply restart it in Eden without the need of recompiling my mod/addon and restarting the full game.

3) Console: for very simple scripts I simply copy&paste the code in the console (available when in-game (in Eden) and you press ESC) to see if it returns any errors and if the response is expected. It usually does require some modifications before/after testing with this, but at least you'll know the basic script is working.

• Like 1