20 minutes ago, Pan Samogon said:

Talking about details... you probably know what Im talking about :P

Noted. :wink_o:

Thank you so much fingolfin! It's so a f*cking awesome mod!

Now we must make a new history, Christmas on 6th February. :xmas:

Thanks for update. 

Found some troubles with configs, later few hours i am sending you fixes.

oLOR4-YzJ8M.jpg

Cant stop for laught. "Чернокожий" - black man.:smileee:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Collaborationist said:

Thanks for update. 

Found some troubles with configs, later few hours i am sending you fixes.

oLOR4-YzJ8M.jpg

Cant stop for laught. "Чернокожий" - black man.:smileee:

Oh, this is so wrong in so many way... thanks google. :hehe:

5 hours ago, Pan Samogon said:

Talking about details... you probably know what Im talking about :P

Regarding the badges, are they worn by everyone or just officers? The first one is clearly VDV, the second one Motor Rifle Troops(?) and what branch is the third one?

11 minutes ago, fingolfin said:

Regarding the badges, are they worn by everyone or just officers? The first one is clearly VDV, the second one Motor Rifle Troops(?) and what branch is the third one?

It's modern badges of ground forces(Not only motorized).Everyone wear it.

I just send thins to show where it's should be.Here is another one.

Spoiler

333018.jpg

Actually  there is lots of badges... I suggest only Motorized and Airborne(2 images in previous post,it's chechen war time badges).

Spoiler

om14002.gif

image008.jpg

I've done a small update mainly fixing the wrong Russian translation. First post and Steam Workshop updated.

Version 1.2.1:
• errors in the Russian translation (my fault, not Basher's) fixed
• new OMON beret thanks to max1048
• uniforms with collar badges (VDV and MSV)

• Like 7

On 6.02.2017 at 8:36 PM, fingolfin said:

I've done a small update mainly fixing the wrong Russian translation. First post and Steam Workshop updated.

Version 1.2.1:
• errors in the Russian translation (my fault, not Basher's) fixed
• new OMON beret thanks to max1048
• uniforms with collar badges (VDV and MSV)

@fingolfin, superb mod! Thank you very much :don12:

• Like 1

Bagdes are wrong.

a)Look at the size.It's smaller.Almost 1.5-2 times smaller that you did.

b)Golden badges used only for parade and office uniform,not field uniform.They must be grey or greenish.Silver one are acceptable,but it's too glossy.Not recomended.

(Seems pre-reform ground forces badges(aka soviet badges),but still - look at size and color)

R-175_(UNKV-03).jpg

(This one must be much useful)

fdsghretu6rtdhgfdrt54.jpg

VDV ones looks good,just scale it down.

Edit - standart VDV squad are questionable.Afaik it's only 5 man squad,cuz platoon = 1 transport plane = 3 BMDs inside(which have 5 mans capability).But it's classic Paratroopers.

There also exists air assault units,which trained for helicopter deployment,but assigned for BTRs or BMPs.Honestly,don't know much,but...

Overall - 4/5,just because of badges.

1 hour ago, Pan Samogon said:

Bagdes are wrong.

a)Look at the size.It's smaller.Almost 1.5-2 times smaller that you did.

b)Golden badges used only for parade and office uniform,not field uniform.They must be grey or greenish.Silver one are acceptable,but it's too glossy.Not recomended.

(Seems pre-reform ground forces badges(aka soviet badges),but still - look at size and color)

(This one must be much useful)

VDV ones looks good,just scale it down.

Alright, I'll rework the badges. Would the VMF badges look something like this?

pn00072a01.jpg

(no golden, as you mentioned, but I couldn't find a better photo)

1 hour ago, Pan Samogon said:

Edit - standart VDV squad are questionable.Afaik it's only 5 man squad,cuz platoon = 1 transport plane = 3 BMDs inside(which have 5 mans capability).But it's classic Paratroopers.

There also exists air assault units,which trained for helicopter deployment,but assigned for BTRs or BMPs.Honestly,don't know much,but...

My bad, I forgot to change these...

Edit: resized, recolored...

itFRKQX.jpg

If I make them much smaller you won't be able to see/recognize them at all.

• Like 3

Naval Infantry doesn't wear badges.Not for parade uniform,not for field uniform.Looks like Telnyashka and Black Beret is enough for indification.

800px-Soviet_naval_infantrymen_and_PT-76

But MoD office unifrom is... diffirent.They're wear black office unifrom(as Navy),Red Shoulder straps(As Ground Forces) and Ground Forces badges.But it's was 2013,not chechen war period.

Looks like they have same badges as their ground forces counterpart:

Ground forces,tank,chem.warfare,VDV(Yes,naval VDV units,im not mistaken) etc etc.

2 hours ago, Pan Samogon said:

Naval Infantry doesn't wear badges.Not for parade uniform,not for field uniform.Looks like Telnyashka and Black Beret is enough for indification.

But MoD office unifrom is... diffirent.They're wear black office unifrom(as Navy),Red Shoulder straps(As Ground Forces) and Ground Forces badges.But it's was 2013,not chechen war period.

Looks like they have same badges as their ground forces counterpart:

Ground forces,tank,chem.warfare,VDV(Yes,naval VDV units,im not mistaken) etc etc.

Thanks, so I won't include any badges for the Naval Infantry combat units.

Seeing the picture, was the TTsKO pattern still common during the First Chechen War or did the Naval Infantry receive the new VSR camo so quickly that it was already out of use?

29 minutes ago, fingolfin said:

Seeing the picture, was the TTsKO pattern still common during the First Chechen War or did the Naval Infantry receive the new VSR camo so quickly that it was already out of use?

Now my knowledge fades away,cuz I was like 1 year old when this war starts.For sure I can't tell how fast it was.

5 hours ago, fingolfin said:

I don't know how common it was but TTsKO was worn by Russian Naval Infantry during the First Chechen War. However in all of the images that I've seen, they were wearing the mountain variant (predominately brown coloration), which appears to be the same as in the image above. There was a series of photos on the old militaryphotos.net website that showed a number of them operating in the Argun Gorge region during the First Chechen War, wearing the uniform but unfortunately that website is now gone and I lost the copies of the images that I had due to a HD crash a few years ago. Now, I can't find those images anywhere online. I'm also a 1:6 action figure enthusiast and my primary area of interest is modern Russian military figures. I have a number of online friends with similar interests, so I'll ask around and see if any of them have those images archived. If so, I will post them here. Also, for information on post WW2 Russian military subjects, this website is a good source of information: http://www.red-alliance.net/forum/index.php

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scimitar said:

I don't know how common it was but TTsKO was worn by Russian Naval Infantry during the First Chechen War. However in all of the images that I've seen, they were wearing the mountain variant (predominately brown coloration), which appears to be the same as in the image above. There was a series of photos on the old militaryphotos.net website that showed a number of them operating in the Argun Gorge region during the First Chechen War, wearing the uniform but unfortunately that website is now gone and I lost the copies of the images that I had due to a HD crash a few years ago. Now, I can't find those images anywhere online. I'm also a 1:6 action figure enthusiast and my primary area of interest is modern Russian military figures. I have a number of online friends with similar interests, so I'll ask around and see if any of them have those images archived. If so, I will post them here. Also, for information on post WW2 Russian military subjects, this website is a good source of information: http://www.red-alliance.net/forum/index.php

Thanks, it's a bit difficult to find photos of Russian Naval Infantry during the First Chechen War. But since RHS already did a TTsKO Mountain uniform for Gref, it will be easy to add a TTsKO version of the VMF.

• Like 1

Along with some assistance from friends, I did some more searching and my search mojo is strong! I managed to find the images that I was looking for. Here are images of Russian Naval Infantrymen in the Argun Gorge region of Chechnya in 1994.

Naval_Infantry_01_zpsnvvltcoa.jpg Naval_Infantry_05_zpsgy1thu4l.jpg

Naval_Infantry_02_zpsewe5ea68.jpg  Naval_Infantry_04_zpszo3rowgz.jpg Naval_Infantry_03_zpspztys6no.jpg

An online translator (https://translate.google.com/) will help with reading the album labels but those images and many others can be found in some of the image albums here: http://www.morpeh.com/foto/

Also, I have a friend on FB named Mike that is in sporadic contact with a Russian veteran of the First Chechen War named Timur. My friend has posted some information that he got from Timur to a FB group dedicated to 1:6 Russian action figures. The info concerns, uniforms, gear and weapons most commonly seen in use by Russian forces in Chechnya during the first war. Timur was with the VV MVD in Chechnya from 2/95-9/96. Though not often seen in images (though they exist if you search for them), Timur said that one of the most common uniform/gear loadout that he wore and saw worn by others was the old tan colored M88 Afghanka uniform that was commonly seen during the Soviet Afghan war, paired with 6B4 body armor (with or without additional hand made pouches) and the SSh-68 helmet (or a simple bandana) along with hand made web gear or an Afghan war issued assault vest. Below is a transcript (slightly edited for clarity) of the information that was posted to our group:

Initial message:

"Hello Mike, sure I will help you with all questions. 99% of boots i saw there were tall soldiers boots made of "kirza". We called 'em "kirzachi". Many officers wore "kirzachi" as well because there were tons of dirt around our camps. I never saw there any leg wraps/puttees with low boots. If you was lucky you could get US boots from a dead Nokhchi. About uniform - I never saw any WWII uniforms, most of people wore "Afghanka", there were also few type of Russian camo uniforms, but their quality was not really good, "Afghanka" was way warmer. I heard a story about a guy who took and wore US woodland camo from a dead body. He was accidentally shot by a sentry who saw him in the night and thought it was a Chechen. Also enemy snipers prefer to pick targets dressed better or differ than others, because they thought they are officers or FSK/FSB or any special forces. So all newcomers tried to get "kirzachi" and "Afghanka" ASAP, even guys from Spetsnaz etc. And army logistics system worked very poor so you were on your own... It will be easier for me if you make a list of exact questions so I give you exact answers"

Follow up message with more specifics:

"I served in the first war, 02.1995 - 09.1996

Concerning the headgear:

_ How common was the billed cap with the folded side cloth flaps? I have seen some references calling it an "Afghanka", but could not tell if that was correct.

Billed caps with the folded side cloth flaps were pretty common. We wore it "visor-back" style under the steel helmet. Later we got caps with the folded side cloth flaps in camo pattern. These has slightly other design than "Afghanka". "Afghanka" was in khaki only.

_ The knit cap, or "watch cap", was it issue? Were they both simple caps and some which were balaclava types? Most appear to be dark (blue or black?), but some photos show what appears to be knit in camo patterns.

_ Was the ushanka popular, other than in winter? Was it general issue?

First time, almost all troops had ushankas, later, some infantry troops got knit caps, some got ushankas. Black knit caps (never saw blue and saw few times Chechens green knit caps with Arabian letters) were mostly issued to troops dislocated on South regions of Russia, with warm winters and others like Siberian regiments has ushankas. There were many home-made black knit caps as well as camo. Balaclava knit caps were mostly issued to special forces, i don't remember anybody from our regiment who had balaclava. In winter, ushnka was the most popular cap, we wore it under our helmets.

_ Was the "Panama" hat worn there?

I saw "Panamas" few times, all of 'em were from Afghan war supplies. I served in MVD troops, we don't have any "Panamas".

_ What was the most common model steel helmet worn there? Were the covers provided, or made by the troops?

SSh-68, we made covers from cloak tents or old uniforms

Concerning the uniform:

_ Was the "Afghanka" uniform made in both temperate and cold weather versions? Was it issued in any other colors than the sort of khaki or light brown type?

Yes, we had "Afghanka" uniform made in both temperate and cold weather versions. First i got USSR type 8 uniform, model of 1969. Than i got "Afghanka steklo (brown gloss)" and after it I got a "Afghanka" in camo.
Also we wore shirts from USSR parade soldier uniform.

_ Besides the light camouflage oversuits, were there some kind of one or two piece heavy coveralls? I have seen some pictures of troops wearing them (though rare, it seems), in a darker color.

I had КЗС (http://kapterka.su/product/kzs/) in different tones - dark and light versions. All others were like "Barvikha" and "Butan"

(http://kamirit.nsknet.ru/katalog/zim...polevaja-forma)

Concerning equipment:

_ What type of web gear was commonly used? A sort of "belt order", or were suspenders issued/used? Were the "Smersh" type standard issue, or something more like specops gear?

There were tons of different hand-made web gear, or modified by owner. I'd say "Smersh" type was more like specops gear. I didn't use it.

_ Am I correct in perceiving that chest rigs were not common soldier issue?

Mostly we made 'em ourselves. Some issued were from Afghan-war supplies.

_ What type body armor was standard issue there? Or, were there several, perhaps transitional?

6B4, 6B5

_ Were gloves issued? Mittens?

Yup, different models http://kamirit.nsknet.ru/katalog/amu...nye-trehpalye/

_ You covered the boots, were socks issued? Were the foot wraps still in use? I get the impression socks made up a part of packages from home.

Yup socks were issued but of very bad quality, so most of socks we
bought ourselves, got from home or took from dead chechens. They had very good wool and cotton socks, made in Germany and Norway. Some people used foot wraps with kirza boots.

Concerning weapons:

_ The light machine guns seems pretty well documented. Were more
"acquired" when possible, for increased firepower?

We had enough machine guns, so we didn't need any "acquired". PK, RPK and RPK-74. I saw Chechens used PKT and NSV machine guns took from destroyed tanks.

_ The basic rifle, was there a predominance of the AK-47, or were the AKM and AK-74 being issued in greater numbers?

First we got AK-74, but later we were reissued AKMs as it has way better firepower than AK-74. So the most popular or basic gun in 1994-1996 was AKM.

_ Were both RPG-7s and RPG-18s carried? Was the -18 more generally issued? Would the -7s be considered more of a skilled weapon?

We had RPG-18, RPG-22, RPG-26, RPG-27 and of course RPG-7. Yup RPG-18 was most popular and yes, i'd say the old good RPG-7 can be considered more of a skilled weapon. We also had RPO-A Shmel. It's a great weapon.
I once saw Shmel fired to a window of a basement with 4 chechens hidden inside. Later we found inside only 6 or 7 well-done steaks mixed with parts of weapons...

_ How did handguns figure into the conflict, for regular soldiers? US troops acquired quite a lot of them unauthorized, in the gulf wars. It seems like the price of being caught with one would be costly for a Russian soldier.

Our officers knew that we had trophy weapons. They didn't care about it. I had PSM as last chance weapon, but many people preferred to carry an additional F1 grenade. We knew what happened if they took us alive. F1 was fast and easy way instead of tortures. But i was afraid of detonate myself with F1. I was young and i preferred to be in an open casket during funerals

If you ask me how the typical soldier near me was dressed - well, - very washed out afghanka, 6B4 without titan plates with custom added pockets or hand-made chest rig, army (medical) kerchief on the head, civilian sweater sent from home and 3/4 cut kirza boots or resin boots. Many soldiers had beards or mustaches and didn't have their hair cut for 2-4 months. so sorry for the delay and please let me know if you have more questions."

Timur also provided this link with lots of excellent images: https://vk.com/club79954099

For me, the information that Timur provided was an absolute treasure trove. I don't know how helpful it might be concerning the mod but I hope that it will help in some way. :)

-Kenneth

• Like 5

20 hours ago, fingolfin said:

Thanks, it's a bit difficult to find photos of Russian Naval Infantry during the First Chechen War. But since RHS already did a TTsKO Mountain uniform for Gref, it will be easy to add a TTsKO version of the VMF.

RHS TTsKO is not exactly what you need, it has differences with soviet butan-84 , that was worn by Russian naval infantry. RHS TTsKO is one of ukrainian variations of "dubok" camo or something else.

640_2218f2c10a99969ff48edb835877049d.jpg1782484354.jpg

Are the flora units considered late war, if so, that'd be roughly 2007 right? Have you considered using the 6b7 for some of those units if they are in fact late war? As in a lot of photos I see of 07-12, it seems infantry used the 6b7 with the painted camo, or was the SSh68 really still that widespread at that point?

HOW DID I FORGET THAT... Kirza Boots.

e761053d35c8f642f264c7f812c.jpg

This boots been used probably untill 2005,maybe even further(Actually even I used this... in Military Hospital).For enlisted personnel - it's the most common foot wear during Chechen wars.

Please keep all in mind that I can't change the models. So, new stuff like the boots or 6B7s are out of question unless someone donates a model of these.

• Like 1