lightspeed_aust

Original Ghost Recon Campaign - Released!!

Hi folks

The campaign trailer is here!

Campaign is Live! - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=871329059

Playthrough Mission 1 by Jeza -

The same mission run as coop by Comrades in Arms using ACE -

Mission 2 by jeza-

Mission 3 by Cubic Virtuoso -

Mission 4 by Jeza- Gold Mountain

Original Thread Discussion -

I've had a decent break from A3 after producing the Island Thunder campaign and playing a fair bit of coop with Task Force Dingo.

And now I'm ready to pick up something I was messing about with end of last year:

The Original Ghost Recon campaign from 2001 based on the Russian annex of Georgia but for my campaign will be heading to Chernarus including Winter Chernarus.

I already know I can't reproduce all of the missions as the original campaign moves to Russia itself and there are some missions which are just not possible to recreate.

But, I have been working on several remakes including recreations of:

• Caves
  • Farm Night
  • POW Camp
  • Castle Night
  • Sub Pens
  • and one or two others.

Making sure my SP fans get what they need and should be some decent coop to be had too.

Required Mods:

CBA3

CUP Terrains - Core

CUP Terrains - Maps

CUP Terrains - CWA 1.3.0

RHSAFRF

RHSUSAF

RHSGREF

• Like 14

On 19/01/2017 at 10:50 PM, lightspeed_aust said:

Hi folks

I've had a decent break from A3 after producing the Island Thunder campaign and playing a fair bit of coop with Task Force Dingo.

And now I'm ready to pick up something I was messing about with end of last year:

The Original Ghost Recon campaign from 2001 based on the Russian annex of Georgia but for my campaign will be heading to Chernarus including Winter Chernarus.

I already know I can't reproduce all of the missions as the original campaign moves to Russia itself and there are some missions which are just not possible to recreate.

But, I have been working on several remakes including recreations of:

• Caves
  • Farm Night
  • POW Camp
  • Castle Night
  • Sub Pens
  • Airfield
  • and one or two others I'm sure.

I will focus on Coop for these initially but as usual try to look after my SP GR lovers.

Thank you for considering us!

On second thoughts, I will stick with the same format as Island Thunder 2 and same Revive system.

So SP and MP played through the MP browser.

So far I have 2 missions at advanced beta stage and I want to get about 4 to 5 ready and then I will release progressively. It's looking like a 10 mission campaign,

• Like 3

Was wondering, will you post these as separate missions or combine it into Campaign pbo download?

Hi mate. Will post separately in Steam becoz a) packing campaigns is not my forte, and 2) packing campaigns is not my forte. 

And also becoz i dont think u can pack MP missions as a campaign.

Wow, this is going really well so far, better than I expected in terms of timeframes.

I am well into 3rd mission, Farm Night aka Eager Smoke and it's looking fantastic - a faithful remake of the original in very, very similar setting.

Really looking forward to putting the mission onto Castle Night which I will actually use in 2 missions because it's so damn nostalgic - one on a summer and other in a winter setting and vastly different missions - 1 stealth, 1 assault and defend.

• Like 2

Wow, this is going really well so far, better than I expected in terms of timeframes.

I am well into 3rd mission, Farm Night aka Eager Smoke and it's looking fantastic - a faithful remake of the original in very, very similar setting.

Really looking forward to putting the mission onto Castle Night which I will actually use in 2 missions because it's so damn nostalgic - one on a summer and other in a winter setting and vastly different missions - 1 stealth, 1 assault and defend.

Oh man, winter castle is sick!

• Like 2

Progress report - Missions 1 - 3 in final beta states, ready for some coop players to run some tests with/for me.

Mission 4 in the original, Village Map, just won't work out well in this campaign as there are no real choke points on Chernarus.

So Mission 4 will actually be Embassy, aka Gold Mountain and it's shaping up really well with the urban environment bringing a nice change of pace. Also swapping out the Woodland for OCP which works really well against the grey industrial and buildings.

Exciting times because the next mission which I will get on to within the next week will either be Castle (the castle is made already) or Bridge (and I have chosen the ideal place for that mission).

In terms of testing AI, I have turned up OPFOR accuracy a little but running with less units on the map, closer to what you would expect in Ghost Recon. Let's just say you'd better get your passports ready! ;)

On certain maps, I have also adjust AI view distance so for SP campaign, you shouldn't see engagement at anything over 500m.

Really enjoying getting back into the Editor and producing the original GR campaign the way I always wanted to in A#, but didn't have the tools to do it right. Now I do.

• Like 4

If it's of the same quality as your GR:IT2 campaign, it's going to be brilliant.

So I'm really looking forward to it!

Really enjoying getting back into the Editor and producing the original GR campaign the way I always wanted to in A#, but didn't have the tools to do it right. Now I do.

Excellent! What tools were you missing before?

I remade Ghost Recon, Desert Siege, and Island Thunder. I'm sure everyone will like it when you do a public one.

Doesn't take long since the missions are basic from the original; I spent maybe 4 months remaking all 31 mission with the original sounds and what-not. Only got a little tricky with making caves work and stuff, but eventually I figured it out, so it's all do-able for sure. Looking forward to playing your rendition.

Feel free to try Island Thunder 2 Mynock.

1 hour ago, Variable said:

Excellent! What tools were you missing before?

Without CUP objects and a 3d editor it was not possible to create the features such as castle, pow camp, etc. Plus virtual arsenal makes character customisation easy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mynock said:

I remade Ghost Recon, Desert Siege, and Island Thunder. I'm sure everyone will like it when you do a public one.

Doesn't take long since the missions are basic from the original; I spent maybe 4 months remaking all 31 mission with the original sounds and what-not. Only got a little tricky with making caves work and stuff, but eventually I figured it out, so it's all do-able for sure. Looking forward to playing your rendition.

Doesn't take long is a matter of personal judgement and approach to the mission. It generally takes me at least a week to produce a beta mission and another week of testing to get it to version 1.

While the missions can be pretty straight forward, planning and pre-mission tasks can take at least a month when considering the weapons and gear load outs, MP/SP compatible, scripts to be used such as revive, patrols, insertions/extractions, choosing the right locations on the map to keep it in line with original missions. Fortunately, the pre-planning from Island Thunder has been pretty seamless into original campaign.

Personally, I can't even see a suitable map to do Desert Siege on at the moment - nothing really fits.

But that's just me.

It was meant as a bit of encouragement, as in it can all be done reasonably well within Arma, not as an expectation that you should get it done immediately. Sorry you took it that way due to my lack of language skills, I'll show myself to the door.

• Like 1

Sorry I appreciate the encouragement, you're right that A3 editor does make life easier. But still a lot of work as you would know. :)

• Like 1

Just did a play through of embassy and it's looking good, just need to control the opfor AI a bit better - realistically they abandon their existing patrol when a firefight starts somewhere else on the map, but I want them to hold position.

Easy enough to fix but so far so good!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Mynock said:

It was meant as a bit of encouragement, as in it can all be done reasonably well within Arma, not as an expectation that you should get it done immediately. Sorry you took it that way due to my lack of language skills, I'll show myself to the door.

How about you share your work?

It sounds like it took a lot of effort.

5 hours ago, domokun said:

How about you share your work?

It sounds like it took a lot of effort.

I did. It lasted less than 24 hours before some self righteous individual reported it on the workshop and I received lawsuit paperwork from Ubisoft because I used the original sound files in my remake. So I took it down and have been enjoying it for myself since.

• Like 4

Just now, Mynock said:

I did. It lasted less than 24 hours before some self righteous individual reported it on the workshop and I received lawsuit paperwork from Ubisoft because I used the original sound files in my remake. So I took it down and have been enjoying it for myself since.

Get some voice actors to say the same shit :)

I've got a couple of dudes that might be willing to do voice acting for others.

55 minutes ago, alex150201 said:

Get some voice actors to say the same shit :)

I've got a couple of dudes that might be willing to do voice acting for others.

Work I'm not interested in doing anymore.

I shouldn't have said anything because this is now taking away from lightspeed's thread. If he needs help I can tell him a few things I used as workarounds to problems he may encounter, but otherwise wait for his. I'm sure it will exceed anything I've done on my version.

Edit: Mine also had zero possibility of COOP because of how I designed them, lightspeed's will, so that's already better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mynock said:

Sorry but that doesn't sound correct at all. I cannot see Ubi lifting a pen on sound files from a 15 yr old game. 

I doubt they did, it was probably just a generic email they send to anyone they assume violates their property rights or whatever. Paperwork wasn't meant literally, because it was digital in the form of an email, again I don't always think before I type and could see how that could get misconstrued. I have a little collection of "haters" on Steam that follow my every move and harass me, down rate anything I put up within minutes of it being on the workshop, etc. so I think that had something to do with it too. Regardless I chose to just take it down because I got pissed someone reported me for something so insignificant, and now that it's been a while most of the missions need to be fixed anyway. The CUP terrains update from 1.1.0 to 1.2.0 took out a lot of objects and stuff I had relied on, so that broke some stuff, then the BI updates over the past however long it's been broke more stuff. The core of it still works, but there's lots of little errors and crap now and I haven't been bothered to mess with it since stuff started breaking.

Again though we are getting away from the point of this thread. I doubt you'll have any issues like that because no one got on you about the Island Thunder stuff. Like I said if you need info on workarounds for certain missions let me know, the only thing is I might not know how to do it so it's coop compatible. I'd rather play yours than mine now anyway; mine didn't have some of the stuff you're thinking about adding in, I went bare bones, so yours sounds more in depth and better anyway.

Lightspeed!  I miss you and our chats on TS!

If you need help mate you know where to find me.