8 hours ago, Yano said:

I'll chalk this up under witchcraft for now but I'll take a look at it.  Walking on moving decks is usually a game engine modification so I'm skeptical this even works.  It barely works for other video games.  Me and my brother were playing Space Engineers this weekend and my jaw hit the floor when I was able to walk around on a Terran Battlecruiser without face planting the aft bulkhead every minute.  Even on Ark Survival walking on decks is a questionable ability.  If this is true then it could very well change the whole dynamics of sailing this ship.

7 hours ago, lumnuon said:

On the other hand, an elaborate sailing "simulator" would have it´s merits for sure.

This is also another issue.  Should the ship be complicated to sail or should it be easy?  If it's easy players can jump right into it, but without the challenge of sailing it gameplay could possibly become boring for some.  If I make it complicated a player would need to "learn the ropes" of sailing which would create a learning curve, but would engage the player longer in gameplay and create "experienced pilots".  Or should there be a "handicapped" mode for single players operating the ship with an expert mode for multiple players?

2 minutes ago, Delta Hawk said:

This is also another issue.  Should the ship be complicated to sail or should it be easy?  If it's easy players can jump right into it, but without the challenge of sailing it gameplay could possibly become boring for some.  If I make it complicated a player would need to "learn the ropes" of sailing which would create a learning curve, but would engage the player longer in gameplay and create "experienced pilots".  Or should there be a "handicapped" mode for single players operating the ship with an expert mode for multiple players?

I think to reach a decision in that regard the "surroundings" need to be clear first. If the sailing takes the wind direction and strenght into account (to give an example) a more basic driving in regards of the ship itself might work very well, while the ship itself might have to be more complicated if depth in the surroundings is missing. 

That´s also where terrain creation comes into play: If the terrain is very hard to navigate already a very complex sailing mechanism will turn many people off. If the terrain is incredibly easy to navigate a more complex simulation needs to fill the "gameplay gaps". -> see our previous conversation. I think I´ve got a better perspective on the importance of certain terrain features now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alex150201 said:

Also I am not sure about the moving the ship part, it would get tricky. My initial thoughts were something like Assasin's Creed is you've played it where the ship captain kinda gives commands. In the game he goes "Half Sail", "Full Sail" etc.

If pigs can indeed fly I would want it to where a captain gives a simple order, the Master, who should be a human player, commands the able sailors to set the individual sails and of course the able sailors, human or ai, go to each of the positions where the lines are belayed and select the appropriate action to do what they need with the sails, such as "Downhaul and Make Fast Jibs'l".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delta Hawk said:

If pigs can indeed fly I would want it to where a captain gives a simple order, the Master, who should be a human player, commands the able sailors to set the individual sails and of course the able sailors, human or ai, go to each of the positions where the lines are belayed and select the appropriate action to do what they need with the sails, such as "Downhaul and Make Fast Jibs'l".

Well then since we have kinda figured out half the problem (walking on moving vehicles), we can say that pigs glide but not yet fly. I don't know how we'll make them fly.

20 minutes ago, Alex150201 said:

Well then since we have kinda figured out half the problem (walking on moving vehicles), we can say that pigs glide but not yet fly. I don't know how we'll make them fly.

We could try Red Bull, couldn´t we? :drinking2:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lumnuon said:

We could try Red Bull, couldn´t we? :drinking2:

Hahahaha :D

1 hour ago, Delta Hawk said:

I think that you've gone and made this incredibly detailed model in the full knowledge that it's useless for ArmA. It's a complete flight of fancy grognard project.

So YES, make it complicated!

We can't really use the ship for anything in ArmA, so the sailing itself needs to be the full gameplay. Like the most convoluted systems from ACE 2.

I have a digital copy Seamanship in the Age of Sail (the square rigger's bible, written for the layman), which I'd be happy to share. Plus a wealth of personal knowledge.

The big challenge with complicated sailing is that even the simplest tasks required half a dozen lines to be manipulated simultaneously. For everything that needs to be hauled, something else needs to be belayed. It'd be a coding and control nightmare.

17 minutes ago, ppitm said:

The big challenge with complicated sailing is that even the simplest tasks required half a dozen lines to be manipulated simultaneously. For everything that needs to be hauled, something else needs to be belayed. It'd be a coding and control nightmare.

I can't make it 100% accurate, so a lot of the sailing stuff would be simplified.

Holy shit just saw this^^ I will definitely try to make it compatible with WMO. If it does not work now.

• Like 1

The last two days have been interesting.  Last night I tested Bloddwyn's addon with less than desirable results.  Then he told me some things and I adjust some other things...and it appears to be "somewhat" working.  Ok, I know what you're saying, "what do you mean "somewhat"?".  Remember guys, this is ArmA.  "Somewhat" is a huge step forward.  I'm going to adjust some other things and tweak some more things.

I'm still a little skeptical and I'm thinking about splashing Holy Water on my computer just in case but we'll see.

• Like 5

So Bloodwyn has been tweaking his mod to work with my ship and now his mod is actually working pretty well with my ship.  There was originally some glitches but somehow Bloodwyn worked them out.  I'm beginning to suspect Bloodwyn is a wizard of some sorts.  So in less than two weeks it has gone from somewhat working to pretty damn well working.  There's a still a couple glitches but lets face it, it's ArmA.  It's a freakin miracle we're at where we are.  Despite how difficult it is to do anything else besides retexture a uniform in ArmA I'm often amazed at what is possible when people like Bloodwyn go beyond what is expected from ArmA.

So this changes things a little bit and it makes having a crew for this ship in multiplayer one step closer to being possible...not that I intend to make a mod.

• Like 12

Do we get a shoulder mounted tactical parrot for the captain's loadout? :dozingoff:

But, yeah - some dark magic this is :don14:

• Like 2

On 5/29/2017 at 3:13 AM, bars91 said:

Do we get a shoulder mounted tactical parrot for the captain's loadout? :dozingoff:

I'll leave the parrots to the Pirates of the Caribbean kid's ride at Disney World :f:  If I were to make a mod that focuses on the economic and power struggles that occurred in the "West Indies" in the early 18th century I would forgo typical clichés and perceptions like pirates with parrots on their shoulders, and instead focus on the dark reality and the true stories of those who plundered the seas and the men who hunted them.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Delta Hawk said:

I'll leave the parrots to the Pirates of the Caribbean kid's ride at Disney World :f: 

Wait, you mean Marines don't go into combat wearing Smokey Bear hats? :f:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bars91 said:

Wait, you mean Marines don't go into combat wearing Smokey Bear hats? :f:

But I thought Marines were the only ones who could prevent forest fires... :icon_cry:

3 hours ago, HitmanTwoActual said:

But I thought Marines were the only ones who could prevent forest fires... :icon_cry:

No...only you can prevent forest fires.

• Like 3

I have became a little worn out working on my ship so I’m going to take a week or two break from it.  Others are still working on specific functions of the ship but I’m going to clean some of the mess in my head so I can get back to it with a fresh mind and tackle some of the despairing tasks.

In the mean time for the fun of it, completely unrelated to this project, I will be trying to make an early 18th century British Pattern naval carbine.  Totally unrelated to my ship ;)  These would have been considered the evil, scary “assault weapons” of the period, quick to reload and shoot rapidly but lacking in accuracy and stopping power (considering it’s a .62 caliber lead ball that’s kind of an oxymoron :/  There were also easier to handle and carry being a lot shorter than a normal land pattern musket, but longer than a blunderbuss.

I can make the 3d model of it but if someone who is experienced in making weapons work in ArmA would be willing to get it working in game, minus animations, that would greatly help out.  It doesn't have to be great, just working.

• Like 5

I got my musket in game :D  Not the prettiest thing, but not the ugliest.  I'll be finishing the model and texture and adjusting some config stuff.  Hopefully by the end of next week I'll have a functional musket.  I'm not looking forward to making the sounds, animations or trying to make the smoke particles.  If anybody will be willing to help out just PM me.

• Like 6

I continued work on my musket, improving the highpoly, and then the low poly and added a half way decent musket firing sound.  You black powder enthusiasts might notice it's missing a few piece which I'll add later but for now this works for what I have planned as it has everything, lock, stock and barrel ;)   I found Toadie's youtube firearm animations so at some point I may create my own reload animations.  Animating the trigger, cock and frizzen is surprisingly difficult  :[  It is actually pretty fun to run around and shoot the musket, but it's quite apparent with a reload time of 12 seconds at best I would have to figure out how to make a melee strike with it so you can beat people to death.

Arma3_x64%202017-06-17%2014-11-34-57.png

Now...time for some serious naval jargon few will understand.  I spent some time on my galley frigate, animating the capstan, which was used to purchase the messenger and raise the anchor, or raise replacement spares and masts to replace damage ones.  I have no clue how I will implement that into the Persephone but I'll play it by ear.  I also made it where a person can attach the pump dales and crank either the larboard or starboard chain pump.  The chain pump was used to pump water out of the hold but I guess for now it'll add a small about of health.  I also added some sounds so now a player can ring the bell.  I've also finally got my 6 pounder British pattern cannon to work...or at least fire.  All of this was done by walking around on the deck of the ship...while it's moving :D  Bloodwyn is continuing experimenting with this feature and slowly we're figuring out how to mitigate the glitches.  After a few more additions to the Persephone I figure next I'll tackle the slops!

Arma3_x64%202017-06-19%2019-34-24-73.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Delta Hawk said:
I continued work on my musket, improving the highpoly, and then the low poly and added a half way decent musket firing sound.  You black powder enthusiasts might notice it's missing a few piece which I'll add later but for now this works for what I have planned as it has everything, lock, stock and barrel ;)   I found Toadie's youtube firearm animations so at some point I may create my own reload animations.  Animating the trigger, cock and frizzen is surprisingly difficult  :[  It is actually pretty fun to run around and shoot the musket, but it's quite apparent with a reload time of 12 seconds at best I would have to figure out how to make a melee strike with it so you can beat people to death.

Arma3_x64%202017-06-17%2014-11-34-57.png

Now...time for some serious naval jargon few will understand.  I spent some time on my galley frigate, animating the capstan, which was used to purchase the messenger and raise the anchor, or raise replacement spares and masts to replace damage ones.  I have no clue how I will implement that into the Persephone but I'll play it by ear.  I also made it where a person can attach the pump dales and crank either the larboard or starboard chain pump.  The chain pump was used to pump water out of the hold but I guess for now it'll add a small about of health.  I also added some sounds so now a player can ring the bell.  I've also finally got my 6 pounder British pattern cannon to work...or at least fire.  All of this was done by walking around on the deck of the ship...while it's moving :D  Bloodwyn is continuing experimenting with this feature and slowly we're figuring out how to mitigate the glitches.  After a few more additions to the Persephone I figure next I'll tackle the slops!

Arma3_x64%202017-06-19%2019-34-24-73.png

Looks amazing. By the way what are the color settings you have the menus at so they look like A2 ones? I could never get the colors right.

• Like 1

To everyone: Please remember not to quote pictures. Either completely delete them or hide them with a spoiler.

To DeltaHawk: When I saw the musket I thought it was a real life picture :D

• Like 1

Damn, the musket looks incredible. I thought it´s a real life picture until I took a better look at the backdrop :eyeheart:

• Like 1

Always had a soft spot for tall ships, yours is turning out to be quite the beaut.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2017 at 0:47 AM, warden_1 said:

Looks amazing. By the way what are the color settings you have the menus at so they look like A2 ones? I could never get the colors right.

I wasn't sure what you were talking about at first lol  It should be under the display menu settings.  I think it's a preset.  Though I think I'll tinker with my setting to get a more 18th century look to it.

I'm curious what do you all expect from this addon?  Or if I were to make a mod?  Normally when someone retextures a uniform or makes another AR style firearm it's not hard to know what to expect.  Even if someone makes a gas mask or zombies it's pretty typical given the genre of ArmA.  But I'm getting the general vibe that this is so far out of the genre of ArmA that you guys don't know what to expect.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Delta Hawk said:

I wasn't sure what you were talking about at first lol  It should be under the display menu settings.  I think it's a preset.  Though I think I'll tinker with my setting to get a more 18th century look to it.

I'm curious what do you all expect from this addon?  Or if I were to make a mod?  Normally when someone retextures a uniform or makes another AR style firearm it's not hard to know what to expect.  Even if someone makes a gas mask or zombies it's pretty typical given the genre of ArmA.  But I'm getting the general vibe that this is so far out of the genre of ArmA that you guys don't know what to expect.

I think it is more of a "how much can one person do in Arma" thing. So far you've got quite a bit of stuff going but as far as getting some outfits for characters, another weapon or two, the ships working in some combat form.... seems like a lot to look forward to. At the end of the day when all is said and done, a nice pirate themed map with smaller Caribbean islands and some navy vs pirates sort of battles would be cool. I really just want to shoot other people off the opposing ship with wildly inaccurate weapons.

• Like 1