Wiki

Lost the ArmA 3 hype

Good luck! :)

I know what you mean (with your OP topic). But, as many said, it's absolutely normal. It's especially frustrating to get burnt out when you're in something "important" as e.g. the MANW contest. :D

But in a normal case I don't allow pressure anymore (yes, I as well was afraid in earlier times of completely "losing the faith" on my hobby). Today I enjoy drifting away to other games as I know that sooner or later the motivation will return (even though I really would like to finish one or another project soon... But no - no stress!)

Happy new year to you all, guys!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Undeceived said:

Good luck! :)

I know what you mean (with your OP topic). But, as many said, it's absolutely normal. It's especially frustrating to get burnt out when you're in something "important" as e.g. the MANW contest. :D

But in a normal case I don't allow pressure anymore (yes, I as well was afraid in earlier times of completely "losing the faith" on my hobby). Today I enjoy drifting away to other games as I know that sooner or later the motivation will return (even though I really would like to finish one or another project soon... But no - no stress!)

Happy new year to you all, guys!

It's new year in 45 minutes for me so happy new year!!!

Yep, exact same here guys. I'm a single player only guy of the older generation and I get bored pretty quickly. Even went back to Arma 2 for a change, but that was all DayZ crap. Totally threw my toys out of the pram trying to install mods with "Play With Six" in Arma 2 and gave up in the end. There was nothing wrong with Six Updater then they changed it and made it crap.

Yes, its new year and time for my first rant !

Bring back the "force" with new singleplayer missions pleeeeese...

• Like 3

My interest in Arma 3 has dropped a lot since v1.66 messed up some of the basic game mechanics and key assignments, everybody's complaining about it.

33 minutes ago, Maio said:

NERDS!

LoL

On 12/31/2016 at 11:54 AM, froggyluv said:

Remember that 'Sides' module they gave us (only to retract later)? That would be the right direction to make the SP experience riveting again. Imagine, a new campaign in which your squad walks among nervous townsfolk and you have to watch your actions or you may incite a riot. Dynamic changing of a Units's feelings toward a side is obviously doable in current state with scripting, but comes off as hacky and not very believable. Matter fact, AI behaviour modules are the way to go if you ask me - Sniper, Spec Ops, Civilian, MachineGunner etc with specific Modules would be awesome and add so much to the standard fare missions in which all units act the same save the slight config discrepencies which arent even inherent by class but by rank which is just weird.

This. We need more modules in general. And with dropdown and sync options too. Anything but typing code!

Having to put script snippets inside inits, or several with all the semi-colons and parenthesis and whatnot, to get very basic actions to take place is unpleasant, not noob-friendly and time consuming and one of the main reasons I don't get more creative hand-crafting scenarios other than when I'm super motivated. 

R3vo has the right idea with 3den Enhanced.

I get exhausted from this game too periodically and this is one of the main reasons, mission-making is a real chore. The AI is second on my list though. Combine the two and add a stressed personality and it can zap your joy away within nano-seconds. 

EDIT: Oh I should say I'm mainly a SP'er too and the new MP direction the series has taken recently just kills me! Nice thread! It feels good to let some frustration out for New Years! :)

• Like 2

I was thinkg about 2 short campaigns, 5 or 6 missions max for each.

One on Altis/Stratis and one on Tanoa.

The one on Altis/Stratis named "Lions of Persia"

Begins during the last Survive mission, when CSAT arrives on Stratis while the NATO forces try to take the firing range and must escape by boat.

Then the rest of the campaign on Altis with basic missions such as sarch and destroy, convoy, etc...

And the other one, on Tanoa, named "Dragon Fire".

Would follow the Viper units and some regular CSAT guys.

But I know it will take quite some time...:down:

• Like 1

In my opinion, if BIS had released a full editing/scripting guide, there would be much more high quality mods, maps and missions. I believe quite a lot ArmA 3 players didn't play OFP, ArmA or ArmA 2 before. I've been running an A3Wasteland server for two and a half years. And I've been eager to learn to arma 3 editing and sqf script to enhance A3Wasteland.

I know there are a lot of editing tutorials on Youtube. But they are all very basic and only explain a small portion of the usage of the editor. I want to know what every checkbox in the Eden editor does and how to use modules. But I failed to find any. Even Jester814 have a lot of options in his videos that he cannot explain.

And I know There are people who writes scripting tutorials online, e.g. KillzoneKid. But most of them are already outdated and they are not for beginners. There are some fan-made systematic editing guides for ArmA 2. But the game has changed a lot.

If we had more experienced editors/scripters, there would be much more quality missions (both SP and MP) and mods to keep the hype going.

• Like 3

I have to agree with you on this. For a game that is so dependent on user made content, it baffles me that BI have not released a full up to date guide on using the editor and also the tools. They provide some really fantastic stuff-especially the new 3d editor...but then dont release any guide to use it. Trying to learn to do even basic things like retexture a vehicle is dependent on 3 year old youtube videos that are outdated-Same goes fro using the editor. There were a lot of videos released during A3's Alpha/Beta but they are totally outdated now-and were never official anyway.

We need something like BI did with Dslyexi-histactical guide series, but instead focused on using the editor and scripting 

• Like 7

I'm the same way really. I need variety so playing any game for long stretches of time tends to wear me out. I play mostly SP as well these days, and like you I've played most of the stuff that's worth playing, so all that's left for me is the editor which I also do enjoy, but after bughunting for hours and hours it sometimes feels like all that's left for me in ArmA 3 is frustration when stuff doesn't work out, or I can't find anyone to do voice-overs for me in any kind of workable timeframe :p

• Like 3

Totally agree Wiki.. Even after finding some motivation, it doesn't take long before I find myself staring at the editor like...

swzEeXL.jpg

good luck

• Like 6

For me Arma 3 is the only game I play anymore..it really offers  more than any other game out there. The possibilities are endless. You can set up missions any way you want,do whatever you want and play however you want..the Mods available are endless to make the game exactly what you want. You just cant get that from anything else out there.

I play strictly MP..cant stand SP or friendly AI.

I try and run my missions and server so it isn't like the other 1,000 servers out there..I run very long respawn times,no respawn on vehicles and base everything off of Infantry and using Logistics as much as possible. I use quite a few custom scripts and try to make it as interesting as possible..just going to repair or retrieve a broken down vehicle or extract a wounded player can be made into a small mission itself. I find for me anyway getting away from the normal run and gun and focusing on other aspects of the game really peaked my interest as well.

Currently I am really enjoying the Liberation CTI mission I have it now ported and working to at least 6 different Maps..its great because each map saves your progress so when you come back you have what you earned and what you have taken already set up so its an ongoing campaign really more than a single mission. Ive been playing since OperationFlashpoint way back when and still love this game.

Diesel

• Like 1

The "hype" was gone the moment I saw that classical "Warfare" MP went down the drain and would not return in ArmA III.

Me and most of my old ArmA II "Warfare" buddies have ended up in War Thunder Ground Forces now.

• Like 2

Same here with the exception that I haven't fired it up since Apex release in summer,got disappointed with the expansion content and lost interest so I went back to A2.

7 hours ago, krycek said:

Same here with the exception that I haven't fired it up since Apex release in summer,got disappointed with the expansion content and lost interest so I went back to A2.

Well, Tanoa is nice and the content added is acceptable.

I used it a little, but now... well even with Tanoa, I lost all motivation (WTF??!)

The campaign sucks however.

Multiplayer is the way Im afraid. Cant imagine still playing this game or any other ArmA without multiplayer...

The only one where I stayed hooked on the single-player was OFP. Guess why :)

Well, I got a short CSAT sp campaign in my backhand for a while already. Maybe someone feels motivated to check it out and give some feedback? What about that, Wiki, maybe you just need some change? :>

I wish we had some more Tanoa missions. I really like the map, but i haven't actually played to much on it yet after the release.

Don't feel too bad, I've lost my mojo too, I was churning out addons in 2016, some I spent months on, and right at present, I have little, or zero motivation to begin a new project, it's a phase most modders go through at some point.

Well, thanks guys, I feel less alone now :don12:

• Like 1

i think the SP focus, while i totally get it and each to their own, could be part of the problem. maybe it's time to discover this whole new world that is out there waiting for you (gross exaggeration). MP doesn't always have to be either (no-)life servers, dayZ clones or (way too) hardcore milsim roleplaying. (<---- personal opinions, don't get offended pls)

overly quoted quote but true: There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter. (Ernest Hemingway)

no AI can reproduce the variety of approach and unpredictability of real humans. and eventhough pure PvP is sadly underrepresented in arma (only extreme sides of the spectrum KOTH and PR clones) it is an amazing platform for PvP with its ballistics and large terrains that allow many tactical approaches. man do i miss arma 2 insurgency with opfor slots.

sadly it's really hard to find good servers that either don't have the most random and way to long mod lists or just simply run a simple to get into, well performing mission that doesn't have long down times and needless walking as a core feature.

and if you lack the nerves or competitive nature for all that (or simply can't find a server/mission that fits your needs like me), you can always get a small group together and play all the coop content since you played all the SP content already. for many people coordinated approach and keeping eachother alive with revive mechanics can be the most rewarding part of the game.

also arma with its amazingly awkward animations allows you to do the most silly things. aim to the sky while prone rolling sideways anyone? if you haven't participated in one of those arma group dances then you haven't fully experienced the game imho (partly serious :f:).

and since you seem to be able to make your own content you can make your own coop mode that does exactly what you want. so on the editing side you also have a whole new world (of pain) to discover.

• Like 4

I feel similarly. Making missions (or content for that matter relating to those who make mods instead) has zero return on investment for the amount of time required. For every "thanks for spending your time making this mission (or mod or whatever) for my enjoyment at no cost" there's another "you should have done this or that or I don't like it and my opinion is all that matters and I'm entitled to free stuff from other people because 2017..." Wears me out in a hurry. I used to respond to every comment on a mission, now I don't even click my Steam notifications box. I simply don't give a crap anymore. Various (and surprisingly many) bad apples in the Arma community burned me out. Now I just make missions to play for myself never to be released publically because what's the point, virtually no one will be satisfied. Aside from that, I can only make so many 'go here, kill this, capture this, find that' missions before I get bored and don't feel like continuing. From the creators eyes they all look the same, even though every mission is different to actually play.

• Like 1

virtually no one will be satisfied.

It's an illusion, I think. It's likely, most of satisfied users simply doesn't give any feedback, because why, all is OK for them, no motivation to bother the creator. Perhaps it differs, but from my own experience, I didn't found that much "demanding attitude" in the response to things, I created. Lots of requests and ideas, also bug reports, sure, but that's just most valuable feedback, you can get, even if not the most pleasant, especially, if it induces mutual dialog. Ideas exchange, one idea induces another, each bug report is a potential improvement - great thing, making your projects something much bigger and more popular, than when you're ignoring any feedback just because. Also, between the lines, any feedback means, your work sparked interest, otherwise no one would write anything, because what for, who cares. Perhaps just for some default way to express interest is whining. 

As for increased MP focus... Well, I wonder, how SP-MP balance will look for next Arma, considering current trend. And I hope, there will be enough SP juice to play with, since MP for me practically doesn't exist (for several reasons), and all the effort, devs put lately into MP gives me nothing as for motivation. However, if this will attract more players to Arma, that means more money for further development. That's good, as long at least some benefit will go to the SP weirdos ghetto. 

• Like 6