bludski

Unnamed Vietnam War Map (cambodia/laos)

This looks simply wonderful. Merging with Unsung makes a lot of sense, and gives lots of scope for mission creation including RWO-type missions. Standalone would be good as well.

In my own rather brief time in Cambodia, I fell in love with the place and the (ordinary) people; most definitely not the Govt. & their crony fat cats.

It was, ah, interesting to note how Cambodian drivers follow 'drive on the right' as well as 'drive on the left' (perhaps because the imported vehicles come in both RHS and LHS variants) with 'give way' depending on the relative sizes of the opposing vehicles. 

I  have a preliminary plan, dating back to 2009, to make a 10th-11th C Khmer temple ruin based on public data/sat maps, and photos I took at Angkor Thom, Ta Ploehm & other sites around Siem Reap back in 2008.

Might fit quite well on this map & other Unsung maps. However, for several reasons it's likely to be quite some time before even an alpha appears.

PM me if you'ld like to see some photos.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, orcinus said:

This looks simply wonderful. Merging with Unsung makes a lot of sense, and gives lots of scope for mission creation including RWO-type missions. Standalone would be good as well.

In my own rather brief time in Cambodia, I fell in love with the place and the (ordinary) people; most definitely not the Govt. & their crony fat cats.

It was, ah, interesting to note how Cambodian drivers follow 'drive on the right' as well as 'drive on the left' (perhaps because the imported vehicles come in both RHS and LHS variants) with 'give way' depending on the relative sizes of the opposing vehicles. 

I  have a preliminary plan, dating back to 2009, to make a 10th-11th C Khmer temple ruin based on public data/sat maps, and photos I took at Angkor Thom, Ta Ploehm & other sites around Siem Reap back in 2008.

Might fit quite well on this map & other Unsung maps. However, for several reasons it's likely to be quite some time before even an alpha appears.

PM me if you'ld like to see some photos.

PM coming :3

Version 0.64 has been uploaded with these and more changes:

Added a firebase on hill 114. (still in progress, needs ground textures and finalized layout pending sugestions from you guys.)

Added abandoned VC camp in a gorge along the river.

~10.000 plants added along the river.

More details in villages + on foot detail and dense vegetation overgrowing the forgotten wwII bunkers.

Thickening overgrowth on the side rivers.

More battlescars + wrecks.

20662571D45124977F0DBC99159EC0BD6EFB5723 

D48FF6F9F90BA6F7359776EF94657A8B72215A2A

5DF17AB6CE649F6E0F00490BED1B44A2563EE8C6

Since people seem to be using the map already for other things than vietnam war scenarios, I've decided to release a standalone version under another name as soon as the vietnam one is completed and re packaged alon with unsung releases.

This one will not be any different except all unsung content will be removed and some may be replaced by stock arma3 assets + names changed.

Edited by bludski
I make gfx. If you want good words, get a worderer.
  • Like 9

hot ! :eyeheart:  is the junglesound problem solved or fix it in the next updates ?

• Like 2

Just now, stephsen said:

hot ! :eyeheart:  is the junglesound problem solved or fix it in the next updates ?

I haven't touched them yet. :/ Still so much visual stuff left to do I haven't even thought about it tbh.

I'll move it up the priorities list though.

Hi Blud,

More great work!

I noted that FOB Emery as well as OP Pyle have roads entering/leaving them but those roads lead no where into the jungle, is there a plan to link these positions by road? The new FOB on hill 114 currently has no road and that can be cool making it only accessible by chopper or on foot but the road from OP Pyle does actually go past it so linking the new FOB to that road would seem logical I think. Just throwing out ideas.

I like the new VC camp, I'd hate to wake up on the wrong side of the bed though :). 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dr@gon said:

Hi Blud,

More great work!

I noted that FOB Emery as well as OP Pyle have roads entering/leaving them but those roads lead no where into the jungle, is there a plan to link these positions by road? The new FOB on hill 114 currently has no road and that can be cool making it only accessible by chopper or on foot but the road from OP Pyle does actually go past it so linking the new FOB to that road would seem logical I think. Just throwing out ideas.

I like the new VC camp, I'd hate to wake up on the wrong side of the bed though :). 

Thanks.

114 has a road planned from the side with the guard post and the snake like trench down the hill.

I'd also like to make a sort of small vehicle depot and a sort of place by the river where PBs can dock. The US outposts will have a poor track road connecting them, where sneaky charlie can ambush etc.

Yeah some stuff remaining to be done in that vc camp. I also need to add more surfaces to walk on and a few more things to take cover behind. I just haven't founda  good wall obbject to use with those bunks. if you follow the riverbed from there and up the hill, it will lead you to some other planned outposts.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, bludski said:

Version 0.64 has been uploaded with these and more changes:

Added a firebase on hill 114. (still in progress, needs ground textures and finalized layout pending sugestions from you guys.)

Added abandoned VC camp in a gorge along the river.

~10.000 plants added along the river.

More details in villages + on foot detail and dense vegetation overgrowing the forgotten wwII bunkers.

Thickening overgrowth on the side rivers.

More battlescars + wrecks.

<image snip by Orc>

Since people seem to be using the map already for other things than vietnam war scenarios, I've decided to release a standalone version under another name as soon as the vietnam one is completed and re packaged alon with unsung releases.

This one will not be any different except all unsung content will be removed and some may be replaced by stock arma3 assets + names changed.

Very pretty :)

I wholeheartedly approve of your intention to offer this lovely content as standalone, as well as integrated into the brilliant Unsung mod.

The more that assets can be mixed and matched, the better IMHO.  Making a good, large terrain seems to me (as someone looking at venturing into this arena with considerable  trepidation) such a great investment of intellectual effort and time that  the product of such endeavours should be distributed as widely as possible.

Kudos, Bludski :)

• Like 4

Stuffs were added. Need some good names for the patrol boat base location.

D6C1FFE1051273201C8D7C290FC609E4EC264E51

56971F1B69EFAC835CBF14AF4B7CC95813CDBEC5

1D72A6C71EF0192A8A2FD55D61209F317F59E905

608D6EA9B1385F27F3899C4B0E757ED4A304AA2E

592695F211F7C69DD366051641A09626A7474094

83A3CA7ED0C8C05457467824E233AD5AC9785A8F

87A004E18156C13C841C7902A0EBE50B6FB74CDF

F49658BDA32CA7E1ABA22496C2B191B34A923E4D

FF260FAB611C8CC5B015B56859911406C0799DD8

F5CCC6ED6D08FDE90D4C774802E322631F232E3C

4BEF49358F3E167FBA2F0BEDAC395B3D988A80F5

FA2B7601FECFC5D536EA20334D1D84065451CAE1

C343C92E943885D94D0A3652A9923FD8B175D23B

• Like 14

Dude. Sick can't even describe those trenches - f*ck! Awesome! :D

• Like 4

yeah amazing

do the lights work? if not speak to razorback, i made him some streetlights, or he may have used the a3 ones.

• Like 3

0.65 is up on workshop. Various config changes.

On 23/01/2017 at 7:38 PM, stephsen said:

Now it is. Not perfect but is more jungle like now.

2 hours ago, eggbeast said:

yeah amazing

do the lights work? if not speak to razorback, i made him some streetlights, or he may have used the a3 ones.

Yes. They are a3 lightpoles.

2 hours ago, Maj. Gastovski said:

That's some beautiful work there, bludski. Kudos.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, laxemann said:

Dude. Sick can't even describe those trenches - f*ck! Awesome! :D

Thank you :)

Edited by bludski
I poorly this texts.
  • Like 3

If you're still looking for a name: Bludski Bay, dammit! 
Time to get yourself eternalized in this map. 

Else... I dunno. Any famous PBR Commanders/operators one could honour?

Progress looks really sick. Might be one of the, if not the most authentic Jungle Map so far. Can't wait to get brutally slaughtered by it's inhabitants. 

• Like 1

if you are looking for real world inspiration in terms of named locations

perhaps take a look at "Krong Preah Sihanouk" - the area around sihanoukville, one of the main ports of entry for weapons coming from abroad, destined for the PAVN enclaves in southern cambodia.

Koh Rong island to the west of it is probably suitable

Port65-to-Sok-San-Beach-Resort.jpg

your beach looks a little bit like Sok San would have done before it got gentrified

IMG_0928.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, eggbeast said:

if you are looking for real world inspiration in terms of named locations

perhaps take a look at "Krong Preah Sihanouk" - the area around sihanoukville, one of the main ports of entry for weapons coming from abroad, destined for the PAVN enclaves in southern cambodia.

Koh Rong island to the west of it is probably suitable

your beach looks a little bit like Sok San would have done before it got gentrified

This map is far inland though around the border with Laos in one of these side rivers that connects to the mekong somewhere.

More this type of situation:

country-profile-cambodia-wildlife-phnum-

34707721.jpg

forrest_river.jpg

No sea and beches anywhere near. Bodie names i just bastardise from googling them up. :) Some have hidden meanings.

This is Trung Si province. It was hell. You weren't there maaan!

Need some names for the unfinished airstrip and the boat yard thing.... Need to be homely and USAican.

ah sorry you can tell i didnt load up your map yet - been fragged with work and flu

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, eggbeast said:

ah sorry you can tell i didnt load up your map yet - been fragged with work and flu

Oh get well soon! Meanwhile.. this happened.

• Like 9

Hi Blud,

More great work!

With respect to the PBR base; the "Brown Water" Navy didn't operate in the tri-border area rivers as far as I know. They were in the Mekong Delta area and on the coastal areas. The PBR's are part of and in support of naval operations which means coastlines or rivers that emptied into the sea not inland rivers. That doesn't mean they can't be part of your map I am only saying this because you won't find a relevant PBR base name for this area since there wouldn't be one. There may be an exception that I don't know about.

maybe one PBR parked in a certain location, where a certain colonel was rumoured to be holed up.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dr@gon said:

Hi Blud,

More great work!

With respect to the PBR base; the "Brown Water" Navy didn't operate in the tri-border area rivers as far as I know. 

Doesn't matter. Players will use them and as such need a base for them. Same as with the airstrip. I only made that so that TeTeT would stop crying. Even though he insists it will be used with jets...

I mean who can prove there weren't cu chi tunnels in my fictional part of cambodia?

Besides as egg says, There is that really big problem with throngs of rogue colonels who go nuts and the need to send shady characters who haven't gone off the deep end yet to go look for them.. The patrol boat base was built to due to increasing demand since the native's didn't have sound systems and flamethrowers in their boats apparently..

Nixon says there isn't any bombing going on here either but only b52s can make those big craters. It is a mystery.

• Like 1

for proper cambodian war, our new AN2 with rockets and bombs will be perfect on your airstrip.

PAVN can have the airbase, khmer rouge or PAVN in the forest camps, and then insert SOG guys from tiny listening post kinda place.

im thinking we need to add a new faction for this as the pavn fought the khmer rouge, AND the cambodian nationalists...

• Like 1

No worries Blud;

I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with a PBR base on your map, its all good and your work is great. I was only commenting that you won't find inspiration from a historical location for naming the base. 

As mentioned who knows what kind of classified CIA sponsored, MACV-SOG type of operations are run along the border. 

The new temple area was a great new addition. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dr@gon said:

No worries Blud;

I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with a PBR base on your map, its all good and your work is great. I was only commenting that you won't find inspiration from a historical location for naming the base. 

As mentioned who knows what kind of classified CIA sponsored, MACV-SOG type of operations are run along the border. 

The new temple area was a great new addition. 

Naah like i said in an earlier post I need names in the same nature of Pyle and Emery.:) Should have one for the hill 114 firebase too.. 

The temple is about half done. And then i might tear it up some more by adding some fortifications and stuff that charlie might put there. Cots and some nets and various stuff for creature comforts. There will also be one more temple site and a few smaller temple shrine things hidden in the jungle.

• Like 1

Here is a partial list of Camps, Bases and Landing Zone names you could draw on for inspiration;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:United_States_military_bases_of_the_Vietnam_War

Landing Zone Oasis was a fortified support position that roughly corresponds with the tri-border area of your map. A real name for a Firebase in that region was Firebase 6, not exactly a awe inspiring.

Something simple and American sounding like OP Reed is straight forward. 

Patrol Base Diamond I (also known as Firebase Diamond I)

Just some ideas.

• Like 2