bludski

Unnamed Vietnam War Map (cambodia/laos)

Since people have started using the terrain and requested less frequent updates, I've decided to make some changes.

There will be a small update today to fix minor annoying issues and the error msgs have been removed.

Later this week (hopefuly before weekend) will be a bigger update with improved native houses.

They currently have no distant LODs and this results in major performance issues from the air.

Hopefuly I will also have completed destruction models for them by then.

After this there will probably be monthly updates up until version 1.0. When this thread should be closed and I will be making a release thread to replace it for further support of the terrain.

If you like my stuff, why not subscribe to my youtube?

• Like 12

Latest changes ^

• Like 8

Great work chaps, few scenarios here, cheers.

• Like 6

@blud: nice music, nice video, nice flying, nice terrain. just nice.

• Like 3

Terrain is beautiful, but it needs fords, otherwise the map is bisected into two parts and players will be forced to having a Zodiac boat backpack if they want to move from one side to the other.

On 06/05/2017 at 3:31 AM, badanov said:

Terrain is beautiful, but it needs fords, otherwise the map is bisected into two parts and players will be forced to having a Zodiac boat backpack if they want to move from one side to the other.

You have a bridge to the north and you can cross the river in many places if you're ok to get a little bit wet.

• Like 1

On 06/05/2017 at 3:31 AM, badanov said:

There's no way you are crossing the river without getting wet unless you head north for the bridge.

Public update 0.9 has shallow waters easily identifiable if you do a little recon and want to swim with minimal risk.

pbIdtdS.jpg

You will be able to tell by the mangroves where the crossings are. But that's in next update.

Here's a gallery of progress so far!

• Like 11

This is :icon_dj: 

Just... :icon_dj:

Whatever folks say you should change or add - take note, ponder about it if you like, but first & foremost go on with realizing YOUR vision of the map! 

Had already some intense WW2 jungle missions on this beautiful terrain, and these just scratched the surface of possibilities.  A Vietnam War Era boat patrol on your map is due to be created... maybe one or two hours in the making with MCC or ALiVE, but this investment of time will cash out into some four or more hours uber-fucking-awesome-immersive gameplay with... 100% interest rate, so to speak! :rthumb:

• Like 3

Great progress, thank you for all the hard work!

• Like 1

Hey bludski,

First post here. Beautiful map, we had lots of fun yesterday just racing up and down the river in speedboats :)

Somebody already mentioned the black grass, one thing i noticed is it'll stay black even if loading up Tanoa after Suonkomar Sahav.

Screenshots here:

http://imgur.com/a/KbiMi

Once i shut down Arma and reload Tanoa everything's back to normal. Anybody confirm this?

Other than that, great work and can't wait for the next update. Thanks for the effort!!

Maybe its just my graphic settings but the grass clutter and the grass on the satmap don't quite match up, the grass is a little lighter. Not a big deal but it would be very nice if it was fixed 

Originally I held Tanoa as one of the most beautiful maps on the ARMA series, this map trumps it with ease. This took one playtest and has become my favourite map in the series.

The foliage placement and density, the fine crafted areas all over the map, the COOL AS SHIT entrenched FOBs. You've done fantastic work Bludski and I can't wait to see the rest of the map develop!

• Like 7

Minor cosmetic stuff with the clutter and such will be done at the very end. Low priority.

The main river is now 95% done. Small teaser.

781E40AA76476FC8BDE46E0581DB0860958CEE42

@khaosmatical That is some high praise! Thanks. You will probably like the next update. Postponed to this week some time ;)

• Like 7

I just had a go on this map in the editor and I really hate to say this but this map is already at BIS Tanoa quality!!! And that was comparing to the all mighty G.O.S Song Bin Tanh 2.0 (APEX), =7Cav=CPL.Variable.A's Nam 2 and Unsung Delta Maps!!!

The overall detailing, terrain modeling, object placements, satellite map resolution and everything feels incredible at Ultra Settings with 3800 objects and terrain detail. It actually scales when I slide objects and terrain distance to 12000, and doesn't LOD down the surface at 300m in the air unlike most user maps which seems to have a built in limiter at ~ 3000, probably to maintain ~ 60 FPS (Some of the Unsung ported maps were like this).

Of course my system tanked to 12-14 FPS (1060 3GB GTX) but it was beautiful and all the more reason I will upgrade to Vega or faster later GPU! I cannot wait to see this on a 4K screen.

I also love the preview when I exit back to ARMA 3 with no mods. 

The only thing I can think of now is testing AI pathfinding for the main roads as I know most user maps kills the AI in the jungle, off road terrain unless you have paths mapped for it. 

We really need a Predator mod to have further fun on this map outside of Vietnam War era setting. 

I hope this map inspires others to detail  and "scale" back up their maps as well. Keep up the incredible work!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Valken said:

stuff

Glad you like it! :)

My computer, (#1 in sign) runs the map at 20-30fps with 12/12km. everything maxed out except AA and blur.

I play it at 60-100 with 2/1 when on foot and nowhere do you need more than a few hundred meters anyway :)

I won't be doing any performance tweaking (mainly clutter) before object placement is done.

Second computer also runs it fine even though it is 8 years old, albeit with lower view ranges..

64bit. I haven't tested and don't care how it runs in the 32bit client.

People still used to running arma 2 maps probably won't like this map at all.

I make terrains for 2017 computers. ;)

Some stats:

1.416 really nice people live in the area in ~450 huts.

(more top secret civilian structures coming later)

1.000.372 total objects where approximately 420.000 are manually placed by hand. One by one.

Only the major forests were generated randomly in the very start.

All other vegetation is hand placed, bar clutter.

314.695 total trees, all types.

9819 banana trees, incl plantations and gardens.

2215 wild coconut trees.

The rest are rocks, bushes, garbage, fences, food, etc.

Edited by bludski
I word poorlike. Must edits many.
  • Like 3

This will be my last post in this thread, If a mod would be a sweetheart and close it, I will leave you with these final screenshots.

74BE16BFB534488B20E80AAF8D19D7F813F4AFEA

52FB76C063BA76EFC6A468B5122874D0600D2186

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

7146820C838F5CF690F46C47035239152B93F41F

PS: If you are a mission maker, you may want to backup this version of the terrain, as you will probably not be able to load your missions with the release version of the map. Sorry.

I will be back with a release thread soon as final stuff is done.Maybe this week, maybe next. 

Shadilay my darlings. Seeya soon!

• Like 14

I have been online gaming on PC since 1999. No two ways about it this is one of the top five maps I have ever played on. I remember as a young man watching the nightly reports on the news about the Vietnam War and the reporters standing in FOB's reporting and I swear you captured the look and feel perfectly. Thank You for such a wonderful map and I am watching the progress on Nord and can't wait for it to be released.

• Like 6

Closing at thread starter's request.

(Having tested this map, i can say-You folks are in for a real treat. It is amazing! Tiny paths and dry river beds wandering through thick jungle, a huge muddy brown river snaking through the whole map overlooked by high rocky bluffs and cliff faces, flooded rice paddie fields and plantations....Simply fantastic.

• Like 9