bludski

Unnamed Vietnam War Map (cambodia/laos)

7 minutes ago, bludski said:

E71CE24253EA75685C69F7B5D11CBA3F77942442

I smell ambush here!

I was waiting a lot for SUCH vietnam maps!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rayko said:

I smell ambush here!

We have reports of multiple VC in the area! Though more bugs probably.

• Like 2

after 5 hours on this map must i say: best junglemap i've seen in arma , the fps are very good (50 - 55) , the 2m cellsstructure looks stunning with the dense jungle and the open areas ( i wish more maps would take smaller cells 2m - 0,5m)

and really good custom ground textures.

few bugs: -no jungle sounds

-sea sound on the river

thats it ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stephsen said:

after 5 hours on this map must i say: best junglemap i've seen in arma , the fps are very good (50 - 55) , the 2m cellsstructure looks stunning with the dense jungle and the open areas ( i wish more maps would take smaller cells 2m - 0,5m)

and really good custom ground textures.

few bugs: -no jungle sounds

-sea sound on the river

thats it ;)

Thanks man! Also the surfaces don't have the right footstep and impact sounds, there are some dust errors and the insects are wrong. Lots of objects are placed weird.. most of the paths don't have vegetation cleared.. ltos of other issues and bugs ;)

I also need to add a rock ground texture to weld the tanoa rocks and the ground together better.

Also regarding the cell size, you can max have 4096x4096 

so for a 0,5m you would get a 2x2km map.  

Looks nice! Any chance of getting this on Armaholic?

• Like 1

Just now, Rich_R said:

Looks nice! Any chance of getting this on Armaholic?

Yes I plan to stick it on there once 1.0 is a thing. For now, steam is the easiest way to distribute development versions, as I update it pretty much daily.

• Like 3

Great map, I love what you did with FOB Emery. I hope you add a couple mortar pits to the FOB. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dr@gon said:

Great map, I love what you did with FOB Emery. I hope you add a couple mortar pits to the FOB. 

Coming up in next update :)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dr@gon said:

I hope you add a couple....

43924B570C00A080DB47782E761DD23362AE041E

This and two more added to Emery.

Should be live and updating now on workshop.

Any requests you guys post will be added if they can be and are suitable :)

• Like 5

The mortar looks great and well placed as part of the FOB. " This and two more added to Emery. ", does that mean you are adding more than one mortar pit the FOB Emery? Sorry I didn't quite understand.

Earlier someone asked if you plan to add any hidden VC/NVA camps to the map, based on Emery I'm sure you would do a great job of that.

• Like 1

I mean there was two more mortar pits but i turned one of them into a bunker. There two total in Emery now.

As for hideouts for Charlie, I'm torn between leaving open spots for people to place unsung objects in their missions and improving with the very limited amount of suitable objects in arma3. 

Sadily I don't have much in the form of visual reference of such things either.

i guess you don't want it to be dependent on unsung mod? it's always a compromise when it comes to managing dependency, so i can understand that.

if you do not mind that, then you could partner in with us, and have access to the full range of models for decorating your map. just send me a PM and we'll sort you out.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, bludski said:

I mean there was two more mortar pits but i turned one of them into a bunker. There two total in Emery now.

As for hideouts for Charlie, I'm torn between leaving open spots for people to place unsung objects in their missions and improving with the very limited amount of suitable objects in arma3. 

Sadily I don't have much in the form of visual reference of such things either.

I understand. I was thinking for Multiplayer capture the base missions there would need to be a balance of one native (build into the map) Blue base and one Red base.

There really is no set doctrine on how the VC or NVA build their camps. The Americans, like all modern armies have their methods of "this is how deep you dig a trench...., this is how you build a bunker..., this is how you continue to improve your positions, etc. The VC guerrillas build fortified villages, dug tunnels, or simply kept moving. NVA camps on the Vietnam side of the border were often no more then a ring of trenches but their camps in Laos and Cambodia (depending on the time period in the war), could be quite elaborate with permanent structures at way-stations. So basically, you could build anything you wanted and call it a VC/NVA camp :).

Again, really great work you have created an excellent map. Please don't feel pressured to do anything you don't want I was really only inquiring about the VC camps.

• Like 2

So far I have only decided to make smaller fortifications for nva/vc in the jungle. Hidden stuff and cave like things as far as they can be done in arma. Like the one close to completion on the map already in one of the south western offshoots of the main river.

The way I figure, if you want base vs base type scenarios, mission makers would have to pick the sites suitable for charlie and then add the objects needed to convert one of the other sites to that use. Like the natural caves, ravines, valleys cliffs etc. 

In that sense, when making the map, east side of the river is mostly under control by US, whilst west side is unexplored Charlie territory. The clearings are there for mission makers to do insertions or build NVA camps. A few of them will be completely napalmed and cleared as soon as i finish the textures for that.

Basically the US camps on the east side were built just weeks or months ago.

What i would like to have rather than actual bases or such locations for charlie would be a node based fast travel system for them, where i add tunnel entrances that is a virtual network of caves. They should be destroyable and not function if any US are within their perimeter.

Since we can't have nice things like holes in the ground, the few caves I am improvising won't be very large or connected to each other for obvious reasons.

Edit: I am updating the map with some temporary map markers showing X characters in various sizes indicating importance of camps. It should be up within the hour of this post.

Again, really great work you have created an excellent map. Please don't feel pressured to do anything you don't want I was really only inquiring about the VC camps.

Thanks a lot. I'm not doing anything I don't want to and I need your sugestions :)

My only requirement for the Charlie camps is that they are hard to find to the extent you have to be in them to see them.

• Like 2

Sounds really good bludski. I like your plan for the map and I look forward to seeing its ongoing development.

• Like 1

Stuff happened and decisions were made.

Further dev versions will require unsung very soon. Probably next version I upload.

1.0 will be distributed with and as part of Unsung and removed from steam workshop at that point.

Dev versions up until release with unsung will contunue as normal with daily builds on steam workshop.

Naming and such will remain the same so that mission makers won't get any trouble.

:)

• Like 8

44815831ADDD47169CFF40CC80AA946145258A74

05B87E91E18CA6C284754CA874728E9F450B631A

FOB EMERY is now pretty much completed and playable. Lacking a few bits and bobs depending on feedback.

0.55 is live on steam and unsung is now required.

• Like 6

Workshop has been updated to v0.61.

Added first prototype of VC command bunker. Highly wip and deliciously buggy but the concept works. Stuff was learned and science gathered.

Here's a vidyer.

Not final versions. Just a proof of concept. 

Temporarily marked on the map as HQ

There will be a network of the final versions of these things.

• Like 6

I'm getting the following error when I put my template on the server...

'bin\config.bin/CfgWorlds/blud_cordelia.ilsPosition'

I'm running this without Unsung as we're a modern day special forces unit.

13 hours ago, carpediem833 said:

I'm getting the following error when I put my template on the server...

'bin\config.bin/CfgWorlds/blud_cordelia.ilsPosition'

I'm running this without Unsung as we're a modern day special forces unit.

.62 has been uploaded to workshop and doesn't give any erors anymore unless you use unsung, at which point it might.

Once the map is 1.0 it will be included with unsung itself and I might make a version that only uses tanoa assets and give a new name if there is any demand for it..

Another backup plan is make cambodian war version of it and put mass graves and dead bodies everywhere but nothing has been decided. Priority is unsung version.

• Like 2