Our team uses CTRL+CAPS for radio, and CAPS for direct. No mouse buttons.

I've used mouse buttons in the past, but certainly not necessary. Personally I wouldn't let something like mouse buttons stop progress.  My 0.02

Fire

I have the demo mission uploaded on my dedicated server for testing. 

192.187.118.130:2462

Edited by Blackheart_Six
Removed Comment on Floating Radio.
  • Like 1

1. [Man700] displayed on screen when keying mic. I know this comes from variable name, but better if call sign displayed. 

2. Command Channel did not have mic key sounds. 

3. Lost vehicle channel. Able to gain back by jumping out of vehicle, then back in. I went to test between 2 vehicles.

4. I like the support channel. 

5. I went 2 km out, and in a valley while other player was at airport. No fuzz, or LOS due to distance or terrain. 

.6 is running much better than previous versions. Far less issues. No constant static in the headset. That is great. 

Additional: Second round of testing went better. Initially we had static and weaker signal as we got further away. But when I left and rejoined that went away. 

As far as mouse inputs. I map the Caps Lock and period key to my mouse buttons through logitech gaming software, and it works find with any script or mod. So my 2 side buttons change channel, and key mic. No issues here. 

Thank you guys for the feedback.  It is very helpful.

1. That's a debug thing in the SortD.sqf which I forgot to remove before releasing, it's fixed in 0.7 (Next release)

2. I'll have those bugs fixed in the next version, I'm still looking into it.

3. Vehicle Channel only works when you're in a vehicle with someone else anyway, so I disable/remove the channel intentionally.  If you wanna "fail safe" all the radio channels, try cycling the channels via the radio interface.

4. Fixed the Support Channel issues, but still needs testing

5. Did you mean you heard 2 people talking in a channel you were in, but can't talk in because it was disabled due to range? This is kind of an Arma VON "exploit" I can't really negate unless they add the mute feature I requested BI to add.  Adding static when out of range may reintroduce the persistent static bug.

6. Good to hear the persistent static bug is confirmed fixed.  I've been playing with people for a few days and haven't had it occur either.

I totally forgot that side buttons for gaming mice actually count as keyboard inputs.  That makes my life a lot easier.  With that said, I've dropped the goal to "add mouse button input support" since it kinda already is.

Are you planning on adding Zeus support?

Personally, I've used Zeus only once in Single-player, so adding Zeus support is low on my priorities list since I won't benefit from it.  With that said, I did try to use BIS_fnc_isCurator / BIS_fnc_isUnitVirtual to detect if the player is Zeus and it didn't help, so my initial attempts to add Zeus support have failed so far.

Because AFAR is an open-source project, anyone can make changes and additions to it freely.  Either someone else will add it and share their work or I'll consider tackling it again in the future.  Right now I'm just solving bugs related to the Command and Support channel.  Everything else is working as intended in my current version. (Aside from the known bugs)

@phronkLooking through your work this is an amazing and intricate script. Unfortunately it's over my head to remove everything except for simply playing an in/out sound and adding a standard amount of fuzz no matter how far away someone is.

Removing all the extra things from the script like measuring distance away and restricting channels is far above my knowledge level of SQF. How hard would you say it would be to make a lightweight script like this that only contains:

• In/Out Sound
  • Fuzz Sound
  • Radio Animation

However, removes the following features completely:

• 3D Radio Interface
  • Channel Restrictions (Including 2 player requirement for radio to work)
  • All distance related sounds/effects/functions
  • Radio doesn't work when dead
  • Radio stops working at a certain distance

Me and my community would honestly pay for someone's time if they can make this happen.

Now you can see why I've been putting it off, especially while I'm still refining the full version.  It's not impossible or even hard to do, it's just really tedious.

9 hours ago, phronk said:

Now you can see why I've been putting it off, especially while I'm still refining the full version.  It's not impossible or even hard to do, it's just really tedious.

Okay, I really hope you find the time after you fix whatever bugs you have. This is an amazing mod and I can't wait to see the LITE version!

Development News:

Bug fixing is going pretty well.  Currently experimenting with a possible fix for the radio interface buttons not lining up correctly on UI size presets not equal to "Small" (Most people use "Normal", supposedly).  Once that's dealt with, I'll conduct a few playtests with some people.  If the tests go well and my testers confirm the bugs I sought to fix are fixed, I'll update the script on this thread and on the Steam Workshop.  Expect a new AFAR update some time this week.

If you're interested in checking out what'll be introduced in the 0.7 update, check out this development change-log.

• Like 2

Amazing work @phronk! I hope the Zeus works with this soon! I can't wait!

Really looking forward to this......I need an add-on free solution to current Comms.  I am one of those anti-mod people.... the kind your mother warned you about.

Let me know when you are doing testing, if I can, I will join. If you need a dedicated server to test on, I can throw it up easily enough. 

Edited by Blackheart_Six
Correcting a basic grammar mistake, Mrs. Huber, my 9th English Teacher would have whipped me for.
  • Like 2

Sorry for getting the hopes up for an update soon, I just need to rewrite the user interface to work for all sizes (Not hard, but very tedious with testing) and none of my testers have been around anyway. 

In other news related to my lack of progress, Divinity 2: Original Sin and The Elder Scrolls Online are addicting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tested this script with a friend on the template that was provided without any mods enabled on the server or clients. It did not work. We can hear the radio sound from each other's person but we can not hear our voices. VON is enabled on my server.

Any suggestions?

I get that same VON issue whether my script is enabled or not on my server.  Sometimes VON works, sometimes it doesn't.  I want to create a ticket about it, but don't have enough information about what may be causing the issue in a reproducible way.  I've confirmed it is not my script though and is more likely the game or the server provider.

I'm sorry if I'm just being incredibly stupid right now, but we cant figure out how to get it working in anything other than the sample mission.  Installation instruction video would be killer right now cause we cant figure out what were doing wrong/if anything. We used Steam workshop. Created all of the init and description files, but no dice, only normal communications. What are possibly doing wrong that everyone else seems to understand so easily?

Just to make sure...... You did the following steps? Does the "myMission.VR" work. I always start with the provided demo mission to test.

[ I N S T A L L A T I O N ]
-------------------------
0. Move the "AFAR" folder from downloaded file, to your mission folder.
EXAMPLE: "My Documents\ArmA 3 - Other Profiles\<profile>\missions\myMission.VR"

1. Copy & Paste below code into your mission's "init.sqf":

execVM"AFAR\init.sqf";

2. Copy & Paste below code into your mission's "Description.ext" file:

#include "AFAR\ui\defines.hpp"
#include "AFAR\ui\dialogs.hpp"

class CfgSounds {
#include "AFAR\f\SFX.hpp"
sounds[]={};
};

3. [OPTIONAL]: Paste this into your mission's "Description.ext file:

class CfgRemoteExec {
 class Functions {
 mode=1;jip=0;
 class sortD {allowedTargets=0;};
 class Fuzz {allowedTargets=0;};
 class Fuzz2 {allowedTargets=0;};
 class Hush {allowedTargets=0;};
 class r_anim {allowedTargets=0;};
 class S_In {allowedTargets=0;};
 class C_In {allowedTargets=0;};
 class G_In {allowedTargets=0;};
 class V_In {allowedTargets=0;};
 class D_In {allowedTargets=0;};
 class sOut {allowedTargets=0;};
 class cOut {allowedTargets=0;};
 class gOut {allowedTargets=0;};
 class vOut {allowedTargets=0;};
 class dOut {allowedTargets=0;};
};

class Commands {
 mode=1;jip=0;
 class playSound {allowedTargets=0;};
 class say2D {allowedTargets=0;};
 };
};  

Yes we did it all. The demo mission works perfectly. Then made sure the init and description files have the proper endings(not sqf/ext.txt), are exact copies of whats in the readme, and we even tried every possible folder that missions could be stored in for Arma 3, and still...nothing. 

*Edit Problem Found: There is No .../Arma 3 - Other Profiles/...  Screenshot to double check

@phronkWhy are some parts of the 'Description.ext' file optional?

7 hours ago, SUZ3RAIN13 said:

and we even tried every possible folder that missions could be stored in for Arma 3, and still...nothing.

This statement confuses me. You are putting these files directly into your individual missions, right?

You can't just add this to one root folder and have it work for all your missions, each mission needs the script added and exported to pbo again.