oukej

Jets - Hitpoints

115 posts in this topic

I69A2l2.gif

 

Flying jets in combat used to be quite binary in Arma. You fly or die. We heard you like hitpoints, so we put more hitpoints in your airplane so you can die while you fly. In return, you can show us how to land like a boss after a critical control loss. And put it on YouTube.

With Jets DLC inbound, the birds needed to be put on par with other vehicle types in terms of damage effects to achieve some consistency and primarily extend the possible outcomes and challenges pilots will get in a combat. (as with other dev-branch'd features, this 'platform upgrade' will be available to everyone that owns Arma 3).

 

And the challenges you may face include:

  • Leaking fuel
  • Reduced / complete loss of thrust after either one / both engines have been damaged
  • Malfunctioning HUD and MFDs
  • Gear that is no longer retractable if you landed too roughly
  • Loss of control authority and adverse flight tendencies (a gameplay counterpart to tailrotor loss in helicopters) after taking hits in wings and control surfaces

 

At the moment, there's only one aircraft configured with the new hitpoints - the Wipeout. Give it a go, try some Neophron Valley mission and let us know.

46 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks wonderful. :) Will we eventually be getting flight model improvements to go with that? I'd especially like to see an improved collision model where a gear-up landing is no longer instant death. Enemy fire can and sometimes does damage landing gear as well (the A-10 was designed to be able to land with gear up for that reason).

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant work! I've always been a little saddened by the rather simplistic 'HULL' damage model on planes in Arma... can't wait to have more a more intricate damage system!

 

Can we try this on the dev-branch with the Wipeout?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simple and efficient, I like it ! No more flying back to base after taking 3 AA missiles.

Gives you a reason to eject too, which is awesome !

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

now this would make jet combat a tad bit interesting. awesome job guys!! cant wait for the other Aircraft to get the same treatment!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This s amazing and all, but without a way to control jets without constantly tapping "D", or moving my mouse to the right till it's off my desk, just to prevent my plane from tilting, it's going to get really annoying really fast. Please look into the more efficient Mouse As Joystick solution i mentioned before, as controlling jets right now without an actual joystick is already more of an annoying chore than it is fun, enjoyable, or efficient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, darksidesixofficial said:

This s amazing and all, but without a way to control jets without constantly tapping "D", or moving my mouse to the right till it's off my desk, just to prevent my plane from tilting, it's going to get really annoying really fast. Please look into the more efficient Mouse As Joystick solution i mentioned before, as controlling jets right now without an actual joystick is already more of an annoying chore than it is fun, enjoyable, or efficient.

 

 

Buy a joystick ?

 

I would be totally ok with a new flight model that made the ideal flying solution be with a joystick and rudder , worst and less precise method with mouse and keyboard.

 

Not all aspects of Arma need to be super accessible.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KiTooN said:

Gives you a reason to eject too [...]

 

Gives you time to do it.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This girl is amazing! She just gived us Christmass present, and we all love presents :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, darksidesixofficial said:

This s amazing and all, but without a way to control jets without constantly tapping "D", or moving my mouse to the right till it's off my desk, just to prevent my plane from tilting, it's going to get really annoying really fast. Please look into the more efficient Mouse As Joystick solution i mentioned before, as controlling jets right now without an actual joystick is already more of an annoying chore than it is fun, enjoyable, or efficient.

So far i haven't had troubles with the jet physics, i can control a jet fine with my mouse and keyboard. No problems whatsoever. Don't even need to constantly tap D either. So.

5 hours ago, gibonez said:

 

 

Buy a joystick ?

 

I would be totally ok with a new flight model that made the ideal flying solution be with a joystick and rudder , worst and less precise method with mouse and keyboard.

 

Not all aspects of Arma need to be super accessible.

Mouse and keyboard is more precise than a joystick mate. It's pretty evident at that too. so.  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, PFC A. Loveless said:

 

Mouse and keyboard is more precise than a joystick mate. It's pretty evident at that too. so.  

 

I am sure it is however what I was trying to say is that I would be completely fine with a new flight model that took advantage of the analog movement that only a joystick and rudders bring.

 

So in this hypothetical new flight model mouse and keyboard would still be fine but it would be the least desirable combination.

 

A scenerio where these are the following control options from most desirable to least.

1. Joystick and pedals

2.Joystick and keyboard

3. Mouse and keyboard.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome! Are you going to improve the jet crash visually too? Eg. break in half, wings fly off etc.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gibonez said:

 

 

Buy a joystick ?

 

I would be totally ok with a new flight model that made the ideal flying solution be with a joystick and rudder , worst and less precise method with mouse and keyboard.

 

Not all aspects of Arma need to be super accessible.

 

2 hours ago, PFC A. Loveless said:

So far i haven't had troubles with the jet physics, i can control a jet fine with my mouse and keyboard. No problems whatsoever. Don't even need to constantly tap D either. So.

Mouse and keyboard is more precise than a joystick mate. It's pretty evident at that too. so.  

 

This isn't about the flight model at all. It's about how the current Mouse controls for jets aren't good enough. While it may be accurate, because moving the mouse is like pressing a directional key once, it doesn't remain affecting that control surface. Simply, my suggestion was to fix the mouse where moving it to one side would be like moving the stick to one side, and keeping it there, thus having a much more fluent, accurate, and effective flight control. Nothing to do with the model, just better control over a jet.

 

Now my main concern is that when hit points damage the jet, it appears now the jet will want to turn, or bank in a certain direction. To counter this with mouse and keyboard is to constantly press a button. Instead with the improve control i mention which shouldn't be that hard to implement i hope, would only provide instead of constantly moving the mouse or pressing a key, you would need to just move the mouse counter the direction a little because now the mouse has a constant position as if you were to move the stick and keep it there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome! Are you going to improve the jet crash visually too? Eg. break in half, wings fly off etc.

Yeah that would be cool if it was possible, which I know it is since somebody made an Apache that you can shoot the tail off of.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gibonez said:

 

I am sure it is however what I was trying to say is that I would be completely fine with a new flight model that took advantage of the analog movement that only a joystick and rudders bring.

 

So in this hypothetical new flight model mouse and keyboard would still be fine but it would be the least desirable combination.

 

A scenerio where these are the following control options from most desirable to least.

1. Joystick and pedals

2.Joystick and keyboard

3. Mouse and keyboard.

 

If we could get a model of the physics that helicopters have, that would be amazing, ye, i agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2016 at 10:55 AM, (2142)gen.reaper said:

 

 

Yeah that would be cool if it was possible, which I know it is since somebody made an Apache that you can shoot the tail off of.  

Possible yes, probable no.  That technique at current involves a lot of limitaitons in terms of what you can do with the texture but even more in terms of making it work ingame.  Scripting is a must and a lot of it at that, and sometimes the physic can get a bit janky in multiplayer.

I like the wiggle.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, darksidesixofficial said:

 

 

This isn't about the flight model at all. It's about how the current Mouse controls for jets aren't good enough. While it may be accurate, because moving the mouse is like pressing a directional key once, it doesn't remain affecting that control surface. Simply, my suggestion was to fix the mouse where moving it to one side would be like moving the stick to one side, and keeping it there, thus having a much more fluent, accurate, and effective flight control. Nothing to do with the model, just better control over a jet.

 

Now my main concern is that when hit points damage the jet, it appears now the jet will want to turn, or bank in a certain direction. To counter this with mouse and keyboard is to constantly press a button. Instead with the improve control i mention which shouldn't be that hard to implement i hope, would only provide instead of constantly moving the mouse or pressing a key, you would need to just move the mouse counter the direction a little because now the mouse has a constant position as if you were to move the stick and keep it there.

 

Not ideal, but you can setup that kind of control vJoy and FreePIE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, PFC A. Loveless said:

Mouse and keyboard is more precise than a joystick mate.

I'll just go and tell the RAF that they've got it all wrong then!  Although I use M+KB for Arma flight, every other flight sim I play is joystick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2016 at 10:07 PM, ampersand38 said:

 

Not ideal, but you can setup that kind of control vJoy and FreePIE.

Your right in this situation that using the mouse also includes looking around, and accessing the scroll menu. Though, i've been easily capable of doing the same in games like War Thunder for example (looking around and flying with the mouse), so it's not as hindering as it sounds.  I will try vJoy, and FreePIE to see if they're any good with Arma, but as usual, an official implementation will always be preferred due to their knowledge of their systems.

 

(though, all it would take for proper implementation is just a tweak to the existing mouse system, as the problem is with the joystick going back to center when the mouse is moved. It should not.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@DEVELOPERS!!!

 

 

Please change the way to land too so that you can land a little bit harder ( realistic) and not unrealistic like falling 1m and  explode instantly.... you shouldnt even explode while flying under 200km/h and being under 10M and even a helicopter shouldnt explode after  rolling on the site  at 1 meter...

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

make it different survival rate between sigle engine and twin-engle and more engine!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now