Richard.biely

64-bit Executables Feedback

2 hours ago, whatsupdoc_1_27 said:

So I installed the dev build. Cannot even get Arma 3 dev build to even start with Battleye enabled but there are Battleye servers. So I decided to check my task manager and noticed the Battleye launcher is STILL only 32 bit.

Anybody else have issue getting the game to even start with Battleye enabled?

AFAIK There's no 64 bit servers so disable BE for the time being.

Playing at 12k terrain distance and 1.2k object distance. Stutters when zooming in are virtually non-existent now (finally!) and performance feels smoother all around.

By the way, I think the default option in the launcher should be 64-bit not 32. People will certainly miss this otherwise.

40 minutes ago, Fushko said:

By the way, I think the default option in the launcher should be 64-bit not 32. People will certainly miss this otherwise.

They need to know for certain that 64-bit is stable first. They probably already thought of making 64-bit default further down the line, but it's too early at this point.

I played some more with 64-bit executable earlier today. 99th-percentile frame times are objectively better and the subjective experience agree with that. It feels smother and that's very good news because it's not the average frame-rates that's been bothering me about Arma3, but the occasional stuttering and unstable frame-rates. Not seen any bugs or unexpected behaviour yet on my end.

• Like 1

For some reason even with max view distance on Tanoa and 64 bit exe Windows shows the memory usage exactly at 3072MB, not a bit higher.

Also apparently 64bit release does not have FreeTrack / TrackIR support? They are missing from controllers options

8 minutes ago, metalcraze said:

Also apparently 64bit release does not have FreeTrack / TrackIR support? They are missing from controllers options

It's not an Arma issue. TrackIR need to update their software as it's not currently aware of the new executable. This is always the case with TrackIR when any supported game is updated to 64-bit.

guys...i´ve read 10 times TrackIR isn´t working...yes..they know it i think...you won´t need it to test stability at the end

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Brisse said:

They need to know for certain that 64-bit is stable first. 

Yeah, and the way you do that is by making 64 bit the default in the development version, which is meant specifically for testing new stuff until it breaks.

5 hours ago, road runner said:

As far as I'm aware you have to launch the 64 bit exe from within the Arma3 Launcher, and you have to go into parameters. all paremeters and there's a drop down box for the 64 bit.exe.

it will automatically list non compatible addons, at present this includes ACE3 and ALiVE.

Thanks for your answer. But that doesn't tell me how many Go will be downloaded and where, or if I have the choice for the disk. I must be the only guy who cares with the room on his SSD...

1 minute ago, pierremgi said:

Thanks for your answer. But that doesn't tell me how many Go will be downloaded and where, or if I have the choice for the disk. I must be the only guy who cares with the room on his SSD...

well, it's only on Dev Branch, so expect at least 10GB's as effectively you're downloading the full game again, it will go to the default location in your steam library, it will more or less overwrite all standard base files, I actually thought you maybe aware of what Dev Branch is and what it entails?

There's also a sticky on how you can have both stable and dev branch running on the same pc..  :wink_o:

16 hours ago, SkipperNS said:

at a very low PC negative result.. -9 FPS.  

Intel Core i3-2370M 2.40 GHz, RAM 4GB, NVIDIA GeForce 610M

Not surpriced. W7/W10 64-bit barely runs on itself with 4 GB RAM. You need more RAM to run the x64 version.

RE: TrackIR not working (Brisse beat me to it :)). This is a job for NaturalPoint to add support for the x64 exe since they don't allow us to do that our self (idiotic IMO). This since they encrypted their DB and also use hash sum you can't go around it by renaming arma3_64.exe to arma3.exe.

We must put pressure on NaturalPoint!

6 hours ago, St. Jimmy said:

Yes it crashes like after a minute if you don't have it set with 16GB. 32GB could be maybe just enough not needing it?

As soon as MSI afterburner showed Page file to get over 16GB I was out of memory (which happens pretty much when I open up the editor). I haven't seen it go over 32GB so that's why I'm guessing 32GB of RAM is needed to run this game without page file. I myself have page file set up on my SSD.

Weird, I checked my pagefile and it was never above 2 GB. I used this command...

wmic pagefile list /format:list

/KC

22 minutes ago, KeyCat said:

Not surpriced. W7/W10 64-bit barely runs on itself with 4 GB RAM. You need more RAM to run the x64 version.

RE: TrackIR not working. This is a job for NaturalPoint to add support for the x64 exe since they don't allow us to do that our self (idiotic IMO). Since they encrypted their DB and also use hash sum you can't go around it by renaming arma3_64.exe to arma3.exe.

We must put pressure on NaturalPoint!

/KC

Looking at the TrackIR website they allow the SDK to be distributed to developers. Will send an email through that channel as well send a freidnly email about the 64 bit option in Arma.

Arma isn't arma without TrackIR:dozingoff:

UPDATE

Sent two emails, one to the SDK address and the other to support letting them know Arma 3 is moving to 64 bit. When running groups in the past I always pointed members to TrackIR and of course Dyslexi is one of ther biggest cheerleaders. I have to think they have a sizable chunk of users who bought it for Arma.

While we certainly shouldn't spam them, if others want to let them know their concerns, I guess that could only help.

• Like 3

The results are excellent.

Without 64 bit, playing with 12k view distance makes the game serisously choppy each time I turn the camera. Now it's seemless! 

Also, when you zoom in with a scope into a town/buildings, there's no more stuttering, which is also really really nice.

Conclusion : when does it come to stable branch ffs ?!?!

3 hours ago, road runner said:

AFAIK There's no 64 bit servers so disable BE for the time being.

YES there are! (theres also a DEV King of the Hill server)

Is there any way to use BE with the Beta? i cant install and reinstall it everytime i wanna switch between testing 64bit and playing altis life

Edited by Maxsyndrom

Just now, Maxsyndrom said:

YES there are! (theres also a DEV King of the Hill server)

Is there any way to use BE whith the Beta? i cant install and reinstall it everytime i wanna switch between testing 64bit and playing altis life

Well there you go, I stand corrected, I read somewhere there wasn't, as for the BE, no idea, is this all not covered in the SITREP/SPOTREP released yesterday?

Just upgraded my TrackIR and was surprised to see what appear to be 64 bit executables. Shouldn't these help with the trackIR issue. Not a tech guy at all so not sure.

You know, I'm kinda upset about people complaining about performance relating to OVD and MODS (at this point).  It's like people expect OVD is required to be maxed out to play Arma.  In all seriousness, you shouldn't need more then 1000 - 1200 to be happy....unless you mainly fly helis/planes which is a different story, and for those reasons i can better understand.  Reason i say 1200 OVD should be enough is because if you shooting someone over 1000 meters away, it's pretty unrealistic but whatever.

Anyways, i came here because i want to share my appreciation to the team on this big milestone.  I went from averaging 35 FPS to now 45+ consistently on very aggressive missions (Single player)!  Leaving the settings as is from prior update and play.  I do have a pretty good rig, so probably explains why, but now i can see a huge performance gain using x64 and the game is playable 100% and feels like a different one.  I think the most important part of the update which was mentioned buy the DEV was that i no longer get FPS drops and slowdowns which is what was killing me before.  Wonderful guys, keep it up.

FYI had about 5750 hours in Arma, think I will double that now with this new update  :)

• Like 1

ive re

12 minutes ago, road runner said:

Well there you go, I stand corrected, I read somewhere there wasn't, as for the BE, no idea, is this all not covered in the SITREP/SPOTREP released yesterday?

ok i reinstalled the beta and it works now with be and here u  see:  http://www2.pic-upload.de/img/32300332/20161215174927_1.jpg

• Like 1

guys, pls joint this server so we can check how goot it will work for us with 64 bit, so lets try to get this KOTH server full! 20161215174927_1.jpg

Maybe you can do it like this BI!  Give the option directly through Steam to play either with 32 bit or 64 bit.

ad80c0e4777746e88e2980c93749f491.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nikiforos said:

Maybe you can do it like this BI!  Give the option directly through Steam to play either with 32 bit or 64 bit.

http://image.prntscr.com/image/ad80c0e4777746e88e2980c93749f491.png

This is exactly how Euro Truck Sim does it, it does have the 32/64 bit option.

• Like 1

As for handling AI on the map I notice no diffrence, I might even get a few fps less now with 64bit.

3 hours ago, Fushko said:

Stutters when zooming in are virtually non-existent now (finally!)

I think this is the case here as well. Seems good news.