Richard.biely

64-bit Executables Feedback

48 minutes ago, aceace33333 said:

what is the proper -maxmem= parameter for the x64 binaries... is it still 3071 or is it bumped up as well?

the param is same

32-bit supports 2047 (on 32bit OS) and 3071 (on 64bit OS) while 64-bit supports 8191 max.value

now, there is typo in the version of the Arma 3 Launcher, so if you select 64bit there, it allows only 8095 max or so

Look like some changes to the launcher has been prematurely pushed to STABLE branch.

Trying to join a server of a steam friend makes the launcher try to start "arma3_x64.exe", resulting in a file not found message.

track ir is not working in the 64 bit :( other than that very stable, very smooth, my load times are almost non existent. excellent work.  please get dx13 working!

EDIT: Spoke too soon, dammit! TrackIR is no longer working after multiple game restarts, I'm also getting an insufficient memory available error randomly on game launch ("Not enough physical memory / swap file space for ...MB"). What a shame...

EDIT EDIT: So now BE service does seem to be working, still no TrackIR...

Battleye service is failing to start (exact same issue ziele posted earlier in the thread), other than that preliminary testing looks alright... Certainly feels smoother, loading times seem a bit snappier, no crashes after ~1 hr playtime. No noticeable FPS increase either, however I didn't see as big a performance hit as usual after loading up a few mods compared to testing in vanilla. Can't speak to whether this will fix my 3FPS bug issues though, 99% of the crashes I had with that bug happened in multiplayer and I can't play multiplayer since BE isn't working. 80% of my playtime is in multiplayer, and I tend to have far greater performance in singleplayer anyway; it's kind of hard to do any meaningful testing right now.

I like how mods that might not work with x64 are marked "32-bit only" in the launcher; I suspect that'll be a useful feature for a lot of players as mod teams work to update their stuff. I haven't had any problems with controllers causing issues, and TrackIR is working fine for me in x64 unlike previously mentioned in the thread...

The Battleye thing is a serious issue though. I'm wondering if it may also be related to the Battleye update that happened earlier (ref. SECREP 11).

Specs in my sig.

5 hours ago, ElPablo said:

BI need lots of people to test this one?

Problem - not enough people help test a new build. How can this be improved?

5 hours ago, maquez said:

but it is a way stupid to test a development branch with a ton of addons loaded :face_palm:

Well... I think I can see why not many people test dev builds. Why should I disable all of my mods, test in vanilla, then experience bugs when an update goes live because nobody tested to see if the update would break my mods? :face_palm: Seems counter-intuitive to me. Example: If there's a change that breaks a feature several addons use (e.g. a typo in code) that isn't noticeable when playing vanilla, how can devs detect that and fix it when nobody tests with mods enabled. Don't get me wrong though, I try to playtest updates once with mods on and once with mods off... Jeez, us non-vanilla types don't get any love around here.

x64 observations:without windows pagefile, game doesnt run even there is 10gb free physical ram. I had to enable windows page file to make game running. Memory access needs to be more more aggressive in my opinion, it shouldn't need any pagefile (must be a stability precaution devs take? idk). because even with SSD, or raided SSD's, ram and only ram access is superior. anything outside physical ram will end up bad (stutters) and there wont be any benefit from 64bit. You have to approach more aggressive, I haven't seen anybody saying "game crashed", it is stable. But you see, reason people were asking for 64bit build was about more ram usage. It is completely pointless when game doesn't launch with more than 8gb FREE physical ram, still needing a pagefile.

Another thing: both JEmaccoc and tbb4 was stable and performed similar on intel 2500k cpu. overall it is great, smooth as butter.

• Like 2

I dont use VM under windows, I only boot to windows for gaming. dualboot with linux.. I want it to be responsive and I dont want to waste 15gb of ssd space.

well I have an error,  when i try to host a game server I get an error that crashes the game Include file a3\functions_f\paramsrevive.hpp not found than i get application error. 

software exception(0x0000dead) occrured in the application at location 0x00008FFA50607788

this is immediately after clicking host server

seems thats also trying to play apex protocol solo also causes the same error

validated my files to make sure thats not it.  can anyone confirm the same issue?

at a very low PC negative result.. -9 FPS.  

Intel Core i3-2370M 2.40 GHz, RAM 4GB, NVIDIA GeForce 610M

I am looking forward to this as my two systems are WIN10 64Bit systems with 32GB of RAM and 4 GB ASUS GPU's.. I enjoy ARMA III and will continue to support your efforts and add on's except the Non combat sim...

Keep up the great work!!  Mawgster ans SSSlither

Any ideas what would cause the game controller to crash the game, when the same controller works perfectly on the 64 bit exe of Euro Truck Simulator?

My benchmark:

ama3 x64.exe
• CPU min-0% max:48%
• RAM min-1984 MB max-3840 MB
• The paging file  4194 MB
• HDD min-O KB/s max-34816 KB/s

• FPS min-30 max-78 KB/s

http://imgur.com/vQyvBfJ

8 hours ago, ElPablo said:

BI need lots of people to test this one?

Problem - not enough people help test a new build. How can this be improved?

It can be improved by BIS releasing their own bench marking tools. They must have internal tools for bench marking, if not then how do they know what works and what doesn't, trial & error isn't a very good use of time and is not consistent. I hope BIS makes use of the statistics gathering that was supposed to be available to give us a bench marking mission that provides consistency, and reports back to BIS directly the results (fps, cpu usage, ram usage, gpu usage) along with the settings used and the specifications of the hardware to BIS servers. I think the aggregate analysis of this information would be invaluable to tracking and measuring performance and improvements. Dwarden has been creating profiling and performance builds for quite a few years now and I think having this sort of bench marking system in place would make that work being done more valuable. And having a BIS authored and maintained bench mark would make it easier for people to test out new builds and report feedback on performance.

As for x64 itself, I am really glad we have finally reached this point, and hope to see the 8GB hard limit lifted as soon as possible. I think it is reasonable for some Arma 3 owners to expect continued 32-bit support, but it is my sincere hope that Arma 4 drops 32-bit support so that all resources can be focused on the x64 branch. I also hope that Arma 4 doesn't wait for 90% adoption rate of technologies such as Vulkan/Dx12 and VR for it to be supported by the game.

• Like 1

Is there a step by step + info for this version?

I mean, i'm not familiar with dev-branch because I have a small SSD. So, i'd like to avoid here Gb multiplication.But, I can have enough room on the HDD. I just need to keep Arma3 Apex regular on the SSD for evident reason of speed.

So, My Arma3 was automatically loaded in the program files [x886)\steam\steamApps... which is supposed to be a 32 bits folder. So, what about the 64 bits version???

Could you provide more explanations about the installation, the volume occupation, the things to do and check to be sure it's a 64 bit execution?

tks

So we need the page file now to play the x64 version of Arma even with 16GB of ram and yes people say that a page file is essential i never had any problems not running one until now.

7 hours ago, Vigil Vindex said:

It can be improved by BIS releasing their own bench marking tools. They must have internal tools for bench marking, if not then how do they know what works and what doesn't, trial & error isn't a very good use of time and is not consistent. I hope BIS makes use of the statistics gathering that was supposed to be available to give us a bench marking mission that provides consistency, and reports back to BIS directly the results (fps, cpu usage, ram usage, gpu usage) along with the settings used and the specifications of the hardware to BIS servers. I think the aggregate analysis of this information would be invaluable to tracking and measuring performance and improvements. Dwarden has been creating profiling and performance builds for quite a few years now and I think having this sort of bench marking system in place would make that work being done more valuable. And having a BIS authored and maintained bench mark would make it easier for people to test out new builds and report feedback on performance.

As for x64 itself, I am really glad we have finally reached this point, and hope to see the 8GB hard limit lifted as soon as possible. I think it is reasonable for some Arma 3 owners to expect continued 32-bit support, but it is my sincere hope that Arma 4 drops 32-bit support so that all resources can be focused on the x64 branch. I also hope that Arma 4 doesn't wait for 90% adoption rate of technologies such as Vulkan/Dx12 and VR for it to be supported by the game.

I like this idea a lot!

My question is will the server executable also be 64bit once the client side is released? Most issues with FPS and such are in fact due to server side a majority of the time and not the client side. I've dealt and built servers since 2000 and know a lot about them and I can tell you the more objects on these maps that are added with the Editor will cause low FPS multiplayer. 

Even though we are seeing 64bit on client side how come we cannot test 64 bit server side to really notice the difference? I think the development branch needs to add server side files also and let the users and server owners start testing this also.

Can already see a solid 5-6 fps increase with less spikes when hosting a mission with lots of AI + calculations going on so this is a step in the right direction! Will we see the arma3server executable updated in the same way?

5 hours ago, pierremgi said:

Is there a step by step + info for this version?

I mean, i'm not familiar with dev-branch because I have a small SSD. So, i'd like to avoid here Gb multiplication.But, I can have enough room on the HDD. I just need to keep Arma3 Apex regular on the SSD for evident reason of speed.

So, My Arma3 was automatically loaded in the program files [x886)\steam\steamApps... which is supposed to be a 32 bits folder. So, what about the 64 bits version???

Could you provide more explanations about the installation, the volume occupation, the things to do and check to be sure it's a 64 bit execution?

tks

As far as I'm aware you have to launch the 64 bit exe from within the Arma3 Launcher, and you have to go into parameters. all paremeters and there's a drop down box for the 64 bit.exe.

it will automatically list non compatible addons, at present this includes ACE3 and ALiVE.

3 hours ago, MrCats said:

So we need the page file now to play the x64 version of Arma even with 16GB of ram and yes people say that a page file is essential i never had any problems not running one until now.

Yes it crashes like after a minute if you don't have it set with 16GB. 32GB could be maybe just enough not needing it?

As soon as MSI afterburner showed Page file to get over 16GB I was out of memory (which happens pretty much when I open up the editor). I haven't seen it go over 32GB so that's why I'm guessing 32GB of RAM is needed to run this game without page file. I myself have page file set up on my SSD.

Then for some bugs:

When you change map, things are still kept in memory.

I was bit in Altis and changed to Tanoa and my VRAM showed over 7GB of usage. Soon my game crashed and I assume I ran out of memory.

• Like 1

Game and FPS seem more stable on 64bit. Also fps doesn't seen to take as big of a hit while maxing out specs. I usually run the game on high specs with render distance of about 1200, when I max it out on 64bit the frames don't drop drastically like on 32bit. There is only about a -10 fps drop.

So I installed the dev build. Cannot even get Arma 3 dev build to even start with Battleye enabled but there are Battleye servers. So I decided to check my task manager and noticed the Battleye launcher is STILL only 32 bit.

Anybody else have issue getting the game to even start with Battleye enabled?