Richard.biely

64-bit Executables Feedback

Important reminder: Whenever you do benchmarks, remember that between missions, stuff from the last mission can still remain stored in the memory. So if you want to make usefull benchmarks, restart the game between each.

• Like 3

BI need lots of people to test this one?

Problem - not enough people help test a new build. How can this be improved?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ElPablo said:

BI need lots of people to test this one?

Problem - not enough people help test a new build. How can this be improved?

absolute correct..... 

and sorry to say that

but it is a way stupid to test a development branch with a ton of addons loaded :face_palm:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, maquez said:

absolute correct..... 

and sorry to say that

but it is a way stupid to test a development branch with a ton of addons loaded :face_palm:

A simple web page to inform users of an ideal user test environment (i.e. vanilla, launcher parameters, graphics options ), would be useful

BI Devs, thanks for 64-bit, the game became more comfortable. I look forward to on stable version.

3 minutes ago, victor20010 said:

how to get beta access code?

Did some more testing:

With both view distance and object view distance on 12000 m it's very smooth once all textures are loaded. Arma 3 however uses about 8 Gig of RAM for me.

*Tested on Tanoa

It also seems that the 2D map textures are loaded almost instantly, could be a coincidence though.

• Like 1

Do we have an [ Official ] test server map?

Can we have a long term x64 [ Official ] test server map?

2 hours ago, Greenfist said:

As far I know, the difference is about the memory usage and less loading of assets from disk.
I made simple test mission where the camera flies all over Altis and multiple random objects spawn every second. I didn't check any actual numbers yet, but the 64-bit definitely stutters a lot less because more stuff is already in the memory. So I guess you'd want to check difference in the amount of below average frame times between the binaries.

That's great. However, the 64-bit version seems to access the disk more for me... Sometimes, my CPU usage decreases while ArmA is accessing the disk.

59 minutes ago, R3vo said:

It also seems that the 2D map textures are loaded almost instantly, could be a coincidence though.

If you've somewhat fresh restarted system, so you haven't done a lot, then the textures load almost instantly. Play the game for a while or shut it down, browse internet and go play back again and the textures load slower again. I observed that behavior some years ago when the fred41's malloc came. Some tech guy can likely explain the reason (it's maybe even explained somewhere in the malloc thread).

Sorry if this is a stupid question.. but how does 64 bit break mods? I've heard a few people say it will break ACE etc?

Just now, bravo93 said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question.. but how does 64 bit break mods? I've heard a few people say it will break ACE etc?

Read the OPREP. It's all described there.

With 64-bit exe, I have strong stuttering in Qilin and Strider in first person view, and in some buildings, sound stuttering (vanilla sound).

1 hour ago, R3vo said:

Did some more testing:

With both view distance and object view distance on 12000 m it's very smooth once all textures are loaded. Arma 3 however uses about 8 Gig of RAM for me.

*Tested on Tanoa

Read back.

Dwarden mentioned that currently it is limited to 8GB, but this will be changed in the future.

Would a an overkill option, if you add a new startup parameter which would load every object and texture (of the given map) into the memory, so it would not load those in real time? I mean, i have 16GB ram. I don't care if 10 is occupied at start, if i can reduce the loading glitches. How you?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ionica said:

no tracKIR in x64 version. should i tweak something?

Iirc with previous games switching from 32 to 64, TIR will have to update their game definitions so that it loads up the 64bit dll's instead of the 32bit ones.

• Like 1

MSI Afterburner shows 10Gb of RAM usage during combat.. That's strange , thought it was limited for now to 8GB.

3 hours ago, dwarden said:

about x64, one important detail the -maxram= is now limited to 8191 , this is temporary limitation and shall be lifted sometime in future

what is the proper -maxmem= parameter for the x64 binaries... is it still 3071 or is it bumped up as well?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, aceace33333 said:

what is the proper -maxmem= parameter for the x64 binaries... is it still 3071 or is it bumped up as well?

Why would you use that? Leave it untouched and give Arma all the RAM it needs.

2 hours ago, St. Jimmy said:

If you've somewhat fresh restarted system, so you haven't done a lot, then the textures load almost instantly. Play the game for a while or shut it down, browse internet and go play back again and the textures load slower again. I observed that behavior some years ago when the fred41's malloc came. Some tech guy can likely explain the reason (it's maybe even explained somewhere in the malloc thread).

Which should be solved by 64bit since the adress space is basically unlimited. I believe one of the causes for that slow down could be that the adress space becomes fragmented. (That's if I undstood this article right https://www.bistudio.com/blog/breaking-the-32-bit-barrier)

I'll see if it slows down during longer sessions.

• Like 2