DynS is handled by the server and the effects are published to the clients. See warkonaut's post above.

• Like 1

On 19. 1. 2017 at 0:33 AM, computer said:

The great thing about using Dynamic Simulation is that there will be no stuttering when the unit spawns in and gets it's gear. It's great also as units can be damaged and killed while cached. So a pre-emptive artillery strike would actually have an effect.

Dynamic Simulation doesn't handle spawning and despawning of units and objects by it's own. I suggested that if you want to create a mission with hundreds (500+) of AI units it would be wise to use some high level scripted system tailored exactly for your own needs. We cannot simply auto-delete units or objects as they get disabled, as it could interfere with custom scripts and system that are used in the missions. There is no simple generic solution that would satisfy all community needs and fit to all scenarios.

On 19. 1. 2017 at 8:06 AM, fn_Quiksilver said:

_vehicle = createvehicle [classname.......];

_vehicle enableSimulationGlobal FALSE;

^ should that vehicle have full physx collisions with other vehicles? For some reason I am able to drive through vehicles with this simulation state as if they were inivisible, but they do take some collision damage (they get destroyed).

Is this how it is supposed to be, or is this a case of disabling simulation too soon after creating the vehicle?

By disabling simulation you should not be able to remove the object collisions, hide object does this, not enableSimulation false. If so, please create a repro and report it.

On 19. 1. 2017 at 8:06 AM, fn_Quiksilver said:

Also back on topic, are the scripting commands related to DynSim server executed or client executed? Is each client running his own DynSim system or server handling for all clients?

Dynamic simulation manager is run on each client, as long as there are any entities registered. If there are none, it is suspended and waits for any to be added.

For script commands and system to work properly unit and object locality is not an issue, but for best performance and no collisions I suggest to handle all entities and do all the dynamic simulation operations on server. Groups (resp. their units) and objects flagged for Dynamic Simulation in EDEN are added to server's dynamic simulation manager automatically.

• Like 2

Okay thank you for the response :)

I was thinking we could allow client to tweak their Simulation variables to their liking (like view distance), but it sounds much easier for all to be managed on server.

Is it possible to put Headless Clients into this ? Automatically offload the Server and all users by using Headless and DS both at same time?   Maybe,sync and fine tuned?

This system cant offload something to the headless client for the same reason it cant "delete" vehicles

The offloading needs to be done manually.

However since the DynS is handled on the server (argh just read the 3 pages...) you can combine HC's and DynS and there shouldnt be a problem.

I suggest to handle all entities and do all the dynamic simulation operations on server

With this said its however not the best for performance.

It would be good to implement some ways for us to transfer that to Headless Clients tho

2 hours ago, creep said:

It would be good to implement some ways for us to transfer that to Headless Clients tho

It sounds like you can. From what I've read so far each machine has the Dynamic Simulation code present, however the whole grid/etc logic is only activated once an entity is assigned to the system. The entities probably have to be local (just think disableAI - that needs a local entity, too) and I'd assume that units assigned to different dynamic simulations (i.e. different machines) won't necessarily play nicely together with regards to "waking" each other up. 

I don't currently have the time to test this, but oh boy does DynSim make me excited to go back and finally try my hand at a caching system.

On 18.1.2017 at 11:11 AM, warkonaut said:

We would love to have virtualization of distant units/manned vehicles and simulation of their movement and combat, but it's unfortunately out of the feature's scope.

Community can achieve various awesome things in their creations that perfectly fits their needs and cleverly avoid the pitfalls. And that's cool. Problem is that official complex features need to work in the sandbox, not just only in one or two specific scenarios. There must not me any core limitations and major shortcomings. To do such a core feature like unit virtualization properly, you need to implement it into the simulation system when it is being developed.

I can understand your point. But still: *sigh* ;)

as long as "turned off" units can be setposed and manipulated otherwise i don't see the problem. shouldn't be too hard to make some movement stuff based on waypoints or similar. and combat would basically be a bunch of dice rolls with some added parameters, right?

would actually be cool to see what people come up with. as long as the engine implementation doesn't restrict what can be added on it should be fine.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2017 at 8:12 PM, warkonaut said:

By disabling simulation you should not be able to remove the object collisions, hide object does this, not enableSimulation false. If so, please create a repro and report it.

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T123105

Test in dedi environment, join server only after vehicles have been created. Log in as admin, use Zeus to spawn yourself a vehicle, hop in that vehicle and test the collisions with the two different hunters. The hunter with the MG on top is the one with the issues.

• Like 1

I am running into a potential issue where units dynamically simulated are not hitting their waypoints once they wake up.  I am using the bis_fnc_defendArea or whatever it is to set a random patrol.  Anyone running into similar waypoint issues with this feature, before I post something up officially?

Eden visualization > Simulation underlay texture (that square colored box)

Could the texture be shown in the entity list (Left side of Eden) also? When there are a lot of units on-screen it can be difficult to clearly identify the status.

• Like 1

I can't find the global attribute setting under preferences. I am on the main branch. Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, tomhighway said:

I can't find the global attribute setting under preferences. I am on the main branch. Am I missing something?

You are on the main branch, that's why ;)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KoalaDSK said:

You are on the main branch, that's why ;)

Does that mean Dynamic Simulation is not working in the main branch? 

2 hours ago, tomhighway said:

Does that mean Dynamic Simulation is not working in the main branch? 

You have to wait for 1.68 (at best).

hey guys,

i am not into the debugging stuff so much, but want give a short feedback from our exile taunus server, which is running in RC right now.

we experienced a problem with custom set buildings like e.g. exile walls with doors AND arma stock buildings e.g. a warehouse. after the update we didnt get the open/close-door animations etc anymore. befor the update these objects have been set with "enableSimulationGlobal false". now we must use "true" to get the animations and be able open the doors. 

did you change something with enableSimulation, enbableSimulationGlobal or the animation stuff?

we didnt found the time yet to try the dynamicSimulation thing. but after all i read this should not effect simulationGlobal by default, or?

it seems, that this is not affected to buildings, which are set through mission.sqm and eden editor...

if you need more infos to that, please tell me.

cheers, looking forward to the release next week! :)

yesyesjo

www.cdah-gaming.com

---

edit: i just opened a ticket aswell... https://feedback.bistudio.com/T123696

5 hours ago, yesyesjo said:

we experienced a problem with custom set buildings like e.g. exile walls with doors AND arma stock buildings e.g. a warehouse. after the update we didnt get the open/close-door animations etc anymore. befor the update these objects have been set with "enableSimulationGlobal false". now we must use "true" to get the animations and be able open the doors. 

did you change something with enableSimulation, enbableSimulationGlobal or the animation stuff?

we didnt found the time yet to try the dynamicSimulation thing. but after all i read this should not effect simulationGlobal by default, or?

it seems, that this is not affected to buildings, which are set through mission.sqm and eden editor...

if you need more infos to that, please tell me.

cheers, looking forward to the release next week! :)

yesyesjo

www.cdah-gaming.com

---

edit: i just opened a ticket aswell... https://feedback.bistudio.com/T123696

Problem similar to https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/199590-dynamic-simulation-feedback/?do=findComment&comment=3126298

and the usage of Bis_fnc_createSimpleObject

• Like 1

No problem. The fact is BI created a very powerful "simple object" system with all sims disabled. If used as is, in a dynamic simulation, that breaks the interactive actions on object.

On the other hand, ...and another topic linked with the simulation feature, there are still voices and reports problem on "enableSimulationGlobal false, hideObjectGlobal true" AI units...

In an ideal "BI world", disabled units should be muted (and most of all, disabled to give order like" disembark"), disabled buildings should recover all doors and ladders when player(s) in proximity...

wait and see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pierremgi said:

No problem. The fact is BI created a very powerful "simple object" system with all sims disabled. If used as is, in a dynamic simulation, that breaks the interactive actions on object.

On the other hand, ...and another topic linked with the simulation feature, there are still voices and reports problem on "enableSimulationGlobal false, hideObjectGlobal true" AI units...

In an ideal "BI world", disabled units should be muted (and most of all, disabled to give order like" disembark"), disabled buildings should recover all doors and ladders when player(s) in proximity...

wait and see.

Ha! dynamicSimulation solves the problem. easy... :) sorry for bothering!

sorry, i have another question: is there a way to to give a "prop" with light (like a streetlamp) the dynamicSimulation, without effecting the light? so its always turned on?

Infantry appear to take damage outside of the dynamicSimulation activation range, but never register as dead (and fall down) until they are activated. Is this a bug or intended?

Vehicles don't have this issue and be damaged/disabled as normal, but an AI group that doesn't react or die is a little game-breaking for players.

I am still a little confused re DynSim.

Does "waking up" an entity wake it up for all clients or just the client who has woken it up?

It is just not clear to me where the server component ends and client component begins.

Simple way to describe:

- Server owns all objects

- Client A and Client B.

- Client A approaches object X and "wakes it up"

- Is Client B getting the new "woke" simulation state?

Clarification.

When setting the distance for the "wake up" states. Is this a sphere, cube, linear distance, or ground distance?

Does the use view distance have a different way of waking up?

If my view distance is 4000/2000, but I have set all the Dynamic Sim to 500m, which gets priority?

Do drones and AI activate the wake up state?