redarmy

Aspect ratio option removed

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T121809 Ticket here

Does anyone know what the reason for the removal of the aspect ratio option was?

I am stumped why the devs would remove some option that was quite important...Really not impressed when i loaded the editor and saw the menu bars at the left and right of the eden editor a quater of the way away from the corner of my screen.

So im curious as to why this is so,they must have a reason to make this change?

• Like 1

https://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00176

In one of the recent Dev-Branch updates, we've removed the possibility to set the aspect ratio of the User Interface of the game. Senior Designer Bořivoj Hlava explains some motivations behind this decision: "The 'Aspect Ratio' setting helped users to run the game on non-standard resolution monitors in the past. These days, however, there is no need for this setting and it can even be misleading for some people. In fact, our Analytics data show that more than 10 % of our players have their aspect ratio set incorrectly which can significantly impact their experience of the game. Therefore, we decided to make things easier to understand by implementing a fully automatic aspect ratio detection into the game."

This also has a detrimental side effect: if you've edited your cfg file to change the FOV (via aspect ratio), opening the video options will reset it to default.

This has completely screwed my ability to easily change between windowed (1600x1000, 16:10) and full screen (5860x1080, 16:3).

So in the end there was a real reason for the 10% using wrong aspect ratio?

https://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00176

This also has a detrimental side effect: if you've edited your cfg file to change the FOV (via aspect ratio), opening the video options will reset it to default.

Thanks for showing me this dev note i never saw it.

Well i am amazed at this "reason".

It is basically punishing everyone else for a few users inability to procure the knowledge to improve their performance/visuals. 

Really Bohemia...if any of those 10% actually gave a damn about performance,they would know this information of a fix that you have forced on us.

I liked my 1080p with 4:3 ratio,it actually gave me Better FPS,and a larger picture so i could view distance units/objects better.Now .....no longer have the option.

After the recent "visual improvements" and now this update,all i can say is im not really looking forward to future updates.

I'm not sure they're taking into account what triple head users are dealing with after this aspect ratio change.

I use 3 monitor eyefinity for the added peripheral vision during game play.

However, with around 5' of horizontal screen area it is quite cumbersome to have to look all the way across 3 screens to see and click on screen options.

Before this aspect removal all options were allowed to be on the center screen.

I would hope the dev's will look at this matter and come up with a possible solution and allow the return of aspect ratio adjustments. 

If only 10% are unable to adjust their screen ratio properly, perhaps allow for the other 90% to have other options to adjust their ratios.

If even through other settings, we should be able to enjoy our game play as we have in the past.

Below are screen shots of triple head game play. If this is what you intended triple monitor game play to be, then I believe this is a big step backwards.

I only hope this was a oversite and there will be a fix coming soon.

The photos below are taken over 3 monitors at 5292x 1050, viewing distance is roughly 20". With these recent adjustments, I might just get a case of whiplash :wacko:  

1_zpshs40sz8m.png

2_zps4yveas4v.png

3_zpsflfdaf3o.png

4_zpsc6xg0cst.png

5_zps7yuc557k.png

After adjusting and saving a custom hud to return my hud to center monitor, there appears to be a bug what won't allow hints and radio boxes display where set from custom hud setting.

This is 2.5' from center of game play, most hints will never be seen. Again, taking eyes way away from important game play.

6_zpskhr3be8c.png

7_zps7iyakmrj.png

Having the chat box to the far left monitor is no good, side monitors are for peripheral vision and taking eyes off center monitor is way too distracting and removes eyes from game play.

Again, chat box is 2.5' to the left. Not good to remove eyes this far from action to see type.

8_zpsqqrsp7t9.png

• Like 2

This is another step towards BI new agenda of "user friendliness", "user experience" and "mainstream availability". Soon to be played on controller with match making... (relax, I will grabb a snickers).

I'm not sure they're taking into account what triple head users are dealing with after this aspect ratio change.

This is exactly the same experience I'm having with nvidia surround.

All of the UI used to be on the centre monitor, now it's flung to the far corners of the earth.

It's terrible in the editor as well.

https://gyazo.com/c11a283087f8ffe003f24086e847d5f8

However, with around 5' of horizontal screen area it is quite cumbersome to have to look all the way across 3 screens to see and click on screen options.

I would hope the dev's will look at this matter and come up with a possible solution and allow the return of aspect ratio adjustments. 
If only 10% are unable to adjust their screen ratio properly, perhaps allow for the other 90% to have other options to adjust their ratios.
If even through other settings, we should be able to enjoy our game play as we have in the past.

Below are screen shots of triple head game play. If this is what you intended triple monitor game play to be, then I believe this is a big step backwards.

The photos below are taken over 3 monitors at 5292x 1050, viewing distance is roughly 20". With these recent adjustments, I might just get a case of whiplash :wacko:  

1_zpshs40sz8m.png

2_zps4yveas4v.png

3_zpsflfdaf3o.png

4_zpsc6xg0cst.png

5_zps7yuc557k.png

After adjusting and saving a custom hud to return my hud to center monitor, there appears to be a bug what won't allow hints and radio boxes display where set from custom hud setting.
This is 2.5' from center of game play, most hints will never be seen. Again, taking eyes way away from important game play.
6_zpskhr3be8c.png

7_zps7iyakmrj.png

Having the chat box to the far left monitor is no good, side monitors are for peripheral vision and taking eyes off center monitor is way too distracting and removes eyes from game play.
Again, chat box is 2.5' to the left. Not good to remove eyes this far from action to see type.
8_zpsqqrsp7t9.png

Wow mate i feel for ya,thats a more awful situation than the one i described in opening this thread.

But i do hope that this is an oversight on Bohemia's part,i have alot of respect for Bohemia as a developer,one of the reasons for that is that they give the user FREEDOM,this is a small step in the wrong direction,options should never be "taken away" from the user.Its like buying a car,then after you had your test drive and bought it,they whip out the seat adjustment feature.

"Now because 10% of the population crash our car brand within a week of purchase,you have to follow our guidelines,and sit no further than 1 meter from the wheel"  Thank you! Come again!

Yep we few triple-head users all have that problem now.  There is a good and bad side to this and unfortunately we have to have that ability for the reasons you state. 

On the positive side, I found that the "default" value or whatever it is now, while it took some time to get used to, was a good overall perspective, similar to the triple-head experience in A2.  You get that nice vertigo effect when flying :)

I am also having issues with the removal of the aspect ratio setting in the menu. However, my game is completely broken whenever I disable Nvidia surround and try to run the game on only one monitor. The menus are all pushed to the center of the screen. A similar issue occurred before this update the removed the aspect ratio option whenever I set the display resolution of the game to 1920x1080 and left the aspect ratio on "Triple Head". Trying to solve the issue I have deleted the config file and let Arma create a new one, I have tried to let Nvidia Geforce experience optimize my game settings, and even gone as far as unplugging all the monitors but one and launching the game. All without success. Whenever I run the game with Nvidia surround at 5670x1080 The opening menu is stretched very unnaturally. Does anybody have the same issues with the menus? Especially when they only try to play with one monitor.

This is what the main menu looks like at 5670x1080 after the update.
20161203175528_1_zpsctuaupzi.jpg

Here are a couple screenshots of other GUI elements that are messed up at 1920x1080.
20161203180715_1_zpscyzhywfr.jpg

20161203180702_1_zps018qsph2.jpg

20161203180818_1_zps4d2w7tg0.jpg

Confusingly, the aspect ratio issue seems to only effect menus and GUI elements at 1920x1080 since inside the actual game seems unaffected.
20161203180749_1_zpsfrkhciga.jpg

Any information or ideas that could help solve these issues would be appreciated.

Yeah, I hadn't even discussed what a pain it is going to and from eyefinity display.

I like to use Arma in fullscreen window mode (easier in editor to switch to other monitors for editing, copy, paste, etc...).

Prior to removing aspect ratio adjustment, I would choose my aspect ratio, switch to whichever display I wanted, restart game and good to go.

CaptTyler425 don't know if any of this will work for you to get by, but this is now what I have to do to get any kind of playablity.

Not sure about nvida surround vrs amd eyefinity similarities, but it seems to be affecting both of us in one way or another.

Steps if I want to run the game in eyefinity.

1) Options / Video / Display - switch to fullscreen, 1680x1050 (16:10).

2) Exit game.

3) Enable eyefinity display.

4) Restart Arma.

5) Options / Video / Display - switch to fullscreen window, 5292x1050 (restart required).

6) Restart Arma again.

7) Play game.

Steps to disable eyefinity.

1) Options / Video / Display - switch to fullscreen, 1680x1050 (16:10).

2) Exit game.

3) Disable eyefinity display.

4) Restart Arma.

5) I then fumble my way to (only because I have the tabs memorized) Options / Video / Display - choose 1680x1050 (16:10) resolution to fix screen font.

6) Choose Fullscreen Window

7) Exit and restart Arma again.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Arma. I have over 10k hours in Arma 3 alone between playing and in the editor.

Prior to this last change I would give the "user experience" a 10.

Now, I would have to give that same rating a 4.

Below are just a few more screens of the messed up ui

Unreadable menus

10_zpspgp9yccb.png

13_zpscvtmitr7.png

Missing menus

11_zpsjnzlwv3a.png

12_zps2ssm9bqk.png

• Like 1

There are more problems with some mods and their UI as well that I've come across.

The new ACRE2 radio, the SEM 52 doesn't display at all (or rather, is theoretically being displayed, off screen), and the PRC-77 and -177 are very zoomed in.

I've talked to the acre guys about it and they are going to try to fix the SEM but there isn't anything they can do about the -77 and -177,

-

Additionally, all ACE3 NVGs are now broken for me, likely the same problem as the SEM 52, that the visible area for the NVG is displaying off screen, so all you see is black with a little simulated noise.

BIS again broke something that is not broken but can't find any hint in that analytics data how to fix 3 FPS bug :clap: :thumbsdown:

• Like 2

BI please fix this asap. Please focus on issues which are more important. Like Horus wrote. What about this FPS bug?

There are so many issues you should care about and you delete a option which created now more problems?

• Like 1

Don't suppose for a Christmas gift, there are any solutions/hacks to this issue yet?

Maybe a new year resolution could be to fix this :f:

Merry Christmas to all

On 12/2/2016 at 7:55 PM, PapaReap said:

Have you tried to rearrange GUI elements in layouts to suit your resolution?

Options->Game->Layout

13 hours ago, killzone_kid said:

Have you tried to rearrange GUI elements in layouts to suit your resolution?

Options->Game->Layout

Yes I have, several different ways actually. From my earlier post you can see that here I have moved all hud options onto my center monitor (saved and restarted).

However, as you can see in this photo that the hint dialog appears to the far right monitor. This is a bug I believe, because as the picture shows, my layout it is located center monitor.

There are also other items that appear to the far right monitor that I hadn't mentioned as they are from other mods used (primarily task force radio).

While obviously the game can still be played, this removal of the aspect ratio option has taken this game a few steps backwards imo.

Other than the hud while gaming, the whole GUI is not friendly whatsoever.

Simple things like picking mission parameters, the options are to the very far left of left monitor, while the selections are to the very far right monitor.

I have to highlight each line just to be able to see what selection goes with what option (my eyes can't track very far across 5' of screen).

In my group alone, we have at least 5 members that use either surround or eyefinity setups. All of them are complaining of several problems that never existed prior to this last update.

One of them even has given up on his triple monitor setup and is only playing with a single display.

Just seems like there could be some kind of exception for multi-display settings. If we can figure out how to game with multi-displays, we should be able to set the right aspect ratio to game with.

On 12/2/2016 at 11:55 AM, PapaReap said:

6_zpskhr3be8c.png

Same here, I run in windowed mode on my centre monitor but have given up trying to read any of the chat in multiplayer and trying to use the arsenal is hard work.

i can no longer play on my 1440/900 16:10 screen or my 1280/1024 5:4  screen without ether stretching or many parts of the HUD being off screen

What a waste of goddamn time already... trying to figure out how to be able to see anything on my screen and can't post a topic without replying to some shit.

All my HUD display information, inventory, weapon status, messages etc. are too small to see.  How to fix this?

https://postimg.org/image/3y7qzobv5

Edited by R.C. Collins
  • Like 1

Recently got back into Arma after a long break, unfortunately I can't play because of this. I have three monitors which I use for sim racing, but I just want Arma on a single screen.

I simply want to run Arma 3 on my middle monitor, and I can't....

Custom aspect ration seriously needs to be brought back. I can't play with default FoV, therefore I set it to 90° via FovTop and FovLeft in Arma3Profile. Now every time I up the graphics settings for a screenshot or adjust View Distance it resets the FoV. So I have to restart the game every time. This needs to be reverted for people as stated in above posts and a FoV setting added ingame.

• Like 1