almanzo

Feedback Thread

Hey Night, long time no see. ;) Let me offer some answer to your and akai's comments about skins. Since we would like to add customisation at some point in the future, we expect that players will be eventually able to tailor their look by selecting various uniforms and pieces of gear. That's why we don't differentiate teams now, because it won't work like that when customisation is in. It also fits the idea of depicting clashes of mercenaries, or PMCs. However for now, we try to pick equipment to at least slightly reflect the durability of the classes: Riflemen and Grenadiers have heavy vests, so they wear helmets to emphasise that a bit more, whereas Marksmen lack any protection, so their look is also lightweight.

In my opinion and strictly talking about gameplay, customization goes after difficulty modes. Right now UI is essential, allies have the inverted triangle.

Arma 3 improved a lot from Arma 2, player's movement was one of the most important things, but in some way failed to recreate CQC combat. Your prototype performance is brilliant, smooth as hell, is arma 3 in visuals, but doesn't have the same feeling. I wish you can keep some part of this essence. With minor changes like removing the bullet count from UI you can get back some of Arma sensations.

No offense, but nowadays, Project Argo is in some way likes counter strike more than Arma (I don't know if that is your objective). I played a lot Counter Strike, battlefield, call of duty, but now i'm a bit tired of those kind of games. You have the capability of trying to do some kind of mix, preserving somethings of Arma essence through host options, difficulty/Hud/gamespeed...

I think hit markers is down to the how far from Arma the devs want to take this game.  Is it still intended to be a sim or more of a casual FPS?  I personally thing there are too many COD/BF type games that focus on K/D ratios then actual team play.  I also think 5v5 is perfect and teams shouldn't get any bigger,  This will allow players to find a base of friendly other players and using teamspeak/discord actually have some decent TEAM play.  Bring on the clan wars!

• Like 2

Totally agree with Rich, I for one and pumped to see where this leads. :) downloading now, if i can ever figure out how to add it to my steam library lol

• Like 3

If hit markers do make it in (I really don't want them to) they should be implemented like Rainbow Six Siege. You only see hit markers when shooting friendly and on the kill shot.

VR, not worth the time in my opinion. In addition to the other stated reasons, it's a fairly small percentage of players. I'm saying this as an oculus owner.

You're right, thats what i meant with hitmarkers.

I think hit markers is down the how far from Arma the devs want to take this game.  Is it still intended to be a sim or more of a casual FPS?  I personally thing there are too many COD/BF type games that focus on K/D ratios then actual team play.  I also think 5v5 is perfect and teams shouldn't get any bigger,  This will allow players to find a base of friendly other players and using teamspeak/discord actually have some decent TEAM play.  Bring on the clan wars!

I think 5v5 is good too, but if you would make a gamemode with about 10 people, with squads that have to work together, im not exactly sure how, but i think that would be great too, like in Squad, the Teams have to work together and the Squad Leaders have to comunicate as well.

• Like 1

I think 5v5 is good too, but if you would make a gamemode with about 10 people, with squads that have to work together, im not exactly sure how, but i think that would be great too, like in Squad, the Teams have to work together and the Squad Leaders have to comunicate as well.

Then why are you playing Argo? Go playing Arma instead. Arma is a game meant for squad communication teamplay...

You probably didn't get that Argo should be like (progaming) competitive Arma. Something like realistic Counter Strike in which you die with single bullet.

Agree with Rich. This is something like "Counter Strike with realistic combat" where you can die from single bullet. They got an idea about more realistic competitive FPS game. They didn't know what to expect so they let it free to try.

I really like the idea of Project Argo. I would say it can in the future stand along progaming games like CS, BF and so...

• Like 4

In my opinion and strictly talking about gameplay, customization goes after difficulty modes. Right now UI is essential, allies have the inverted triangle.

Arma 3 improved a lot from Arma 2, player's movement was one of the most important things, but in some way failed to recreate CQC combat. Your prototype performance is brilliant, smooth as hell, is arma 3 in visuals, but doesn't have the same feeling. I wish you can keep some part of this essence. With minor changes like removing the bullet count from UI you can get back some of Arma sensations.

No offense, but nowadays, Project Argo is in some way likes counter strike more than Arma (I don't know if that is your objective). I played a lot Counter Strike, battlefield, call of duty, but now i'm a bit tired of those kind of games. You have the capability of trying to do some kind of mix, preserving somethings of Arma essence through host options, difficulty/Hud/gamespeed...

I don't think it's a bad thing that it's like CS.

For the years I was looking for some competitive (maybe progaming) realistic FPS game. Something like Counter Strike but with realistic combat...

Project Argo is now for me something like dream come true.

About vaulting, I had and I saw other player having an animation issue in Link gamemode, grid 083 031, between 1B and 2.

To leave 1B area and go to 2, there is an asset of wooden boards, to pass above a wall. In some situations, players can be stuck for a short time (but enough to be shot down).

I don't know if it has been modified, but I didn't manage to reproduce today. However, I saw several people stuck there yesterday.

Yes, I saw a few issues with going over these planks between 1B and 2, too.

onedigita, on 03 Nov 2016 - 00:35, said:

First off just wanted to say how pleased i am with this release and I can see how it will open the doors to lots of new arma adventures.

I have a bunch of ideas:

1. I would really like the ability to move my gun from high low position ...

HoubaCzech, on 03 Nov 2016 - 15:23, said:

Some of these ideas are good and some bad.

Like the points 5 and 8. Implementation would be like making another Counter Strike.

However I really like the idea of healing and FAKs. I would really love to see that in game.

counter strike, ghost recon, and im sure countless other games but its just a game mode is not owned by a game its just a scenario and one I want/need to see in arma3 or project-argo which ever!

I played a few hours, I read all threads on the Project Argo forum and I gathered some feedback.

First, I would like to thank you. It's like dream come true. For years I was looking for some realistic competitive FPS game. And Project Argo is very good, I would say in the future it can stand next to for example Counter Strike as an eSport game.

The game is amazing. I could write so lot about things you made right. Keep it up! And stick to milsim rather than adding arcade nonsenses.

However I'll write some little things that could make game better now:

• In the lobby (map is visible, countdown goes on) I can't use Tab to see players list.
  • I don't quite understand the respawn time system. It happens to me often that I survived last round, new round is about to begin in 5 secs, but I'm ready to respawn in 10. Wat?
  • I would like to be able to use Alt to look around while collecting airdrop. It's quite annoying I can't see anything and must rely on my hearing.
  • Grenade is very ridiculous thing. Movement: When I throw it, it flies around like bouncing ball. Effect: Actually grenades aren't much lethal. Grenade arrives at my feet and tickles my toes. I am not much afraid of them, often I ignore them. (How about flashbang in the future maybe as well...)

These are all things I found so far that can be done better.

I also thought about future development that there could be some medical/wounds system like in Arma.

And as someone already said: It would be nice if the players will no longer be zigzagging and rapidly strafing from the corners. It feels weird and very unrealistic.

• Like 3

-Hitmarkers

-a display in the middle of the screen who you killed and how many points you got (Headshot)

-Level System with rewards and stuff

-a better role selection and weapon costumzation

-longer rounds

-some kind of Conquest mode as we see in Battlefield, there is Clash but its very confusing, after every flag you captured, the round starts again and you have to capture the next flag (i don't like this)

-(CLASH) more cover in the capturing zones

Hitmarkers - No hitmarkers, this game is still supposed to be realistic-ish, right? Even the kill log should be removed, knowing that you have killed your target affects gameplay negatively. You should have to visually confirm that you managed to get a kill before you are confident an area is clear

Middle of screen display for kills - HELL NO!!!! That is super arcadey and not at all fitting with something that is suppose to be similar to Arma. Also stuff in the middle of your screen is distracting and just gets in the way

Role selection - Better how? Be specific

Weapon custimisation - Sure, but its not important. No we shouldn't have people running around with bright red guns, that's arcadey.

Longer rounds - Most my games have lead to everyone being dead before time is expired, but a slower game would be a nice possibility.

Conquest mode - Fair enough, though I think that would require respawning rather than rounds which personally I don't like as much as perma death each round

Clash cover - The whole point of no cover is to make the attackers move in slowly and secure the area, not just sprint in and hide in cover.

• Like 3

Something like realistic Counter Strike in which you die with single bullet.

Except it takes several 6.5mm rounds from close range to kill someone... Their "single bullet" line in marketing makes no sense.

Vaulting is indeed missing, we are creating the locations in the way that vaulting should not be needed. 

Vaulting is needed to get over some small walls, at the moment I can walk up to a knee high wall and I have to walk along the length of it to get around it, that's super silly. You could remove all low walls but that would probably make the terrain look daft, just include vault (including the little hop animation while running). I can't think of a downside to including it?

Some of my comments...

- I like how you autozoom down the scope. Normally I use mods for this, as I don't like the default zoom, so this out of the gate is cool.

- The stamina system is totally casual. I have no idea if it's simply not in this build, but the only issue you get by sprinting is that visual effect that happens when you're fatigued in ArmA III. There is no effect on weapon sway in this regard.

- Vaulting is missing...?

- Stance has very little effect on weapon capability, as people are dancers with strafing out of cover.

- I disagree, zooming obviously shrinks your field of view which is shit, I want to be able to move with sights up but actually have some reasonable peripheral vision. Plus if I'm breaching into a building I don't need or want to be zoomed in to see my targets and shoot them. I also want to be able to zoom without my sights up, not sure why this was removed.

- I agree the stamina is super casual, but they're trying to make a high(er) paced tactical shooter so I get that decision and can live with it

- Vault is needed (as above)

- I haven't played much but I felt like crouching and being prone assisted with weapon stability, maybe not enough.

I think it can be fun, but I think we should be asking, straight up, who this product is for. Is this for the ArmA fan who leans milsim, or the dude who leans Call of Duty?

At the moment (imo) its halfway between. Too casual for most ArmA fans and too clunky for most CoD fans. I'm sorry BiS but any game based on an ArmA related engine will never be as smooth as a CoD or Battlefield engine so you can't compete with those games on that front, play to ArmA's strengths not its weaknesses. For Argo realism and the size of the battlefield would be the best way to leverage its strengths I believe, neither of which are being leveraged very well. Decrease health and increase combat zone sizes.

• Like 1

Project Argo is a great idea and just what players who come from the Old school Rainbow Six Raven Shield Era are looking for in Arma. Project Arma will be my default Arma pvp experience. 

But first some things must change

1. Stick with Arma 3s damage model

7. Remove the forced zoom when ADS, it's incredibly annoying at close range, and most of the optics are non-magnified dots anyway, instead have the return of the hold right click to zoom, as that also allows you to focus your vision on areas not directly where you are aiming.

Both of these points x 1000!

Players have so much health, 6.5mm rounds to the chest at point blank range should incapacitate in 3 rounds TOPS. If incapacitation isn't part of the game (fair enough) then just death. There is a whole lot of marketing saying "one round can change everything" or something. Not really, 1 round barely scratches a player. If you wish to maintain the current damage model at least change the marketing so people know they are getting an arcade experience.

Forcing zoom when I ADS is sooooo annoying. I understand balance reasons around not letting me zoom at other times, but make it optional while ADS or remove it completely.

• Like 2

Health levels are way too high Or damage is way too low, either way.

The game is being promoted as realistic with tag lines like the following:

...where a single bullet is all it takes...

If this is truly your vision for the game then you need to move back inline with Arma 3's damage modeling. A few rounds at point blank to medium range should kill. This will lead people to play tactically and aim for centre mass rather than sprint around strafing and trying to spray control onto targets heads.

This will fix many of the problems with gameplay that I've seen people provide as feedback.

where a single bullet is all it takes

• Like 4

mono_man, on 04 Nov 2016 - 01:26, said:

If this is truly your vision for the game then you need to move back inline with Arma 3's damage modeling. A few rounds at point blank to medium range should kill. This will lead people to play tactically and aim for centre mass rather than sprint around strafing and trying to spray control onto targets heads.

This will fix many of the problems with gameplay that I've seen people provide as feedback.

AGREED , 

• Grenades are useless, don't kill anyone unless they explode right at their feet.....tired of them...

Grenade launcher is useless, doesn't kill anyone....no matter if the explosion happens 12 inches from the person

Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot....doesn't kill anyone unless you hit them in the head.....

Maybe hacked already....some players kill with one shot no matter situation, close combat, chaos all over, they always kill   (yeah, I'm not a good player but there are no players like the ones I've seen)

In summary....not too entertaining.....the idea is good though....

Lots of more fun in other similar games  (yes, even Call of Duty)

• Like 1

One bullet or grenade  does it at hundreds of meters in ArmA III but: https://youtu.be/H2L21QByGHs

I think the health and damage are fine, since it promotes tracking and firing, but I think that extremity damage should definitely be upgraded, since hitting someone anywhere but the chest or head is barely an inconvenience. Grenades definitely need to be upped in damage, but I think that they shouldn't kill outright unless they're pretty close, just bring you down to where a bullet anywhere can kill you. The movement towards a more standard FPS model will definitely attract players who were too intimidated by ARMA's scale and concepts, but it needs to be kept as a tactical shooter.

I haven't really had a problem with the ADS zoom, since most of my contact isn't made from right up close. Personally, I think if you're charging in to gun them down, you're doing something wrong. I prefer the medium-to-long range combat as the priority rather than the exception, as it makes me think more tactically about where I should be watching for fire.

Personally I think it's a great step from ARMA 3. I, and most of the people I've talked to, tend to get intimidated by the complexity of ARMA and all its controls, but I tried to breach the barrier and never quite managed to do it. When this came up, I tried it and immediately loved it. Hardcore fans of ARMA will hate me for this, but I think the move in a slightly more casual direction is going to get more people interested and might even get some movement over to ARMA if people feel like they want a little more complexity. 

It does have problems with overall smoothness, but it's a prototype that can change to account for that. I love the fact that it still retains a decent amount of ARMA's qualities, like the importance of team tactics over running around by yourself and careful positioning rather than spray-and-pray approaches, but still integrates the mechanics of by-the-book FPS games, like a standard run button and somewhat less complex weapon mechanics. Having the weapons auto-zoom when ADS is applied means leaving space for a medium-to-long range contact which people would do in real combat, forcing me to think more about positioning and pulling back if the fight isn't going my way. I've been looking for something that fits right in between the simplicity of CoD and Battlefield and the complexity of ARMA and this is exactly that. Keep a firm focus on medium-level usability and team tactics and I think it'll go far.

Also if you're thinking about making it paid, maybe give people that played the prototype for a certain amount of time a copy because I am an excessively broke college student who can't even afford the Apex DLC for ARMA 3 to play all the DayZ mods. I'd love to keep playing Project Argo once it gets farther, more maps will definitely make me come back for more.

• Like 1

hi, i installed project Argo.But when im starting the game i wont start.nothing happens.only showing in the task manager process.can u please give me a solution?.

thank you

I played a few hours of Project Argo, and I gotta say, I like it a lot.  It's got a lot of potential to break the barrier between full-on military sim and casual FPS.  I didn't see any guides out there explaining the basics of Project Argo, so I spent some time editing my gameplay footage into a little "how to" guide.  Check it out, maybe show it to a friend if you want to get them interested in playing.

Fl7jQVt.png

I still need to put in more hours, but I'll be back here with constructive criticism as soon as possible!

• Like 2