almanzo

Feedback Thread

So, Argo. I like the premise, but the current execution has some faults - luckily they are nothing too severe in terms of fixing.

The Good:

1. 1st person! Finally, will I get to play arma PVP in first person...?

2. Missions look fun and interesting, not overly complicated. They could be bigger though. I assume you have plans to do 10v10 missions or higher at some point too. Look at DTAS, you can have small player counts and still decently sized zones. Another note to take from DTAS is a randomized spawn gives a huge boost to replayability, with fixed spawns I basically know where and when players will be, so I could get into a (lame, and very video-gamey) routine at the start of the round by rushing to a "good spot".

3. Gear. While giving players an ARCO on areas this size might've been a touch optimistic, I am very glad that this mission focuses on infantry and doesn't include apcs, tanks, jets etc. that ruin infantry gameplay. Never add the MMG's under any circumstances.

The Bad:

1. 5 Minute timelimits on the permadeath modes. This is exactly what kills games like R6: Siege - you could work around the problems infront of you, tell teammates exactly where enemies are, figure out a plan but nope, timelimit. Obviously there needs to be some system to stop people hiding and causing the match to last for 30+min or whatever, but a 5 minute limit is way, way too low. Otherwise it's just rush rush rush. You need some time to communicate. 10 minutes would be the absolute minimum I would consider. 15 is more reasonable.

2. Removed being able to zoom to 1x at any time. This just boggles my mind. You already had the perfect system in arma, and the auto-to-1x zoom in argo is awful. Like, really awful. I can't get 1x view in freelook (I see zoom is still in the controls, but does nothing, as does Optics Temporary, to my dismay), I can't get a high-fov view ADS.. it's a terrible choice.

3. UI. Why change what works in Arma 3? I'm already conditioned to where to look for firemode etc, why go and change that? It's just annoying. It seems like it's made different just for the sake of being different, not for any practical purpose. But maybe the UI designers have their reasons. Though they're wrong and I hate them.

4. Need to find some way to stop the meta of using nades / 40mm on the obj once it starts being capped, cause that's super lame and unfun.

5. ...Why can I not zero my optics? I mean I get that you want to simplify the game, but..... why. Just don't give people optics than can be zeroed. Or let them zero. Which shouldn't be a problem anyway.

The Bugly:

1. Not being able to use temporary optic (ADS) as mentioned
  2. Mission doesn't seem to properly restart?

Hello!

First of all thanks for all the feedback, we greatly appreciate your support :)

Than to answer your questions.

1) We were iterating upon the length of rounds for some time now. Now when we can actually gather feedback from players we will iterating according to it even more and hopefully make Project Argo even more enjoyable.

2) The zoom (or Focus, rather) makes sense in Arma's longer-range combat, but we have found it a bit too much of an advantage in Project Argo. We like that the similar advantage is provided by some scopes for the price of lower spacial awareness. The zoom in the controls menu is to toggle between two zoom options of some optics (try it with the Marksman loadout, for example).

3)The UI changes were part of our experiments in Project Argo, since Argo is total conversion of Arma, you can say more casual we also took the liberty to not only change some game mechanics but UI as well. I understand the surprise of Arma players but we believe UI as aligned with our vision of the game.

4) We will look into it, I understand the frustration behind it. 

5) Zeroing was set to 100m.  It's for the sake of making the game more user friendly. Since the scenarios are taking place on rather small areas the zeroing should be sufficient. Manual zeroing felt like too much of a complex mechanic.

• Like 4

Vaulting is manly used to "debug" animations when the player is stuck somewhere. Might not be needed, but it may require some adjustment on the map to prevent players from being stuck in an asset. I'll try to report it more precisely once I can put my hands on the game again.

Hi, thanks. That would be awesome. We are already trying to adjust the map so it's not needed at all but any help would be appreciated. 

I'd just like to reiterate what Bek said about the zoom.

It works fine in ARMA, it is a really good system that certainly does not need changing for the style you are going for with ARGO.

As an example, games like "Squad" do not have such a feature and are chalk and cheese in comparison to ARMA, please leave it alone!

Thanks!

I'd love to see some advanced medical system in play also, like bleeding to death when shot, being able to revive downed team mates. 

Hey, thanks for the reply.

2) The zoom (or Focus, rather) makes sense in Arma's longer-range combat, but we have found it a bit too much of an advantage in Project Argo. We like that the similar advantage is provided by some scopes for the price of lower spacial awareness. The zoom in the controls menu is to toggle between two zoom options of some optics (try it with the Marksman loadout, for example).

Eh, I dunno. I think 1x zoom at any time makes sense because it's realistic, not because sometimes I need to shoot someone 400m away. And in fact a lot of the time, in CQB, which is Argo's playground, I want a wide FOV when I ADS. The current system doesn't allow that (unless I'm mistaken and the zoom controls you mention do that, but I don't think so - I'll have to check). As a practical example, say I spot an enemy in the corner of my screen. If I ADS right away, which I will, my screen zooms in and I'll probably lose sight of the target for a second. That's even worse if we're both moving at the time. It's not a problem in arma cause I control when and where I go to proper 1x zoom.

3)The UI changes were part of our experiments in Project Argo, since Argo is total conversion of Arma, you can say more casual we also took the liberty to not only change some game mechanics but UI as well. I understand the surprise of Arma players but we believe UI as aligned with our vision of the game.

yeah I think it's mostly the change in areas of firemode / ammo that's annoying, more than the change in colour/shape. Maybe I'll get used to it, but what was wrong with the a3 setup? Consistency is king here, IMO.

Another thought is that perhaps (not sure if this should carry over to A3) the default firemode should be consistent between weapons, ie, full-auto is default. Which makes sense from a PVP perspective, if you need single shot, chances are you have the time to check. But if you need full-auto, chances are you don't. So keep it logical and consistent. And I greatly prefer Arma 3's indicator for firemode than Argo's single icon, but maybe I'm just used to Arma 3.

Vaulting is manly used to "debug" animations when the player is stuck somewhere. Might not be needed, but it may require some adjustment on the map to prevent players from being stuck in an asset. I'll try to report it more precisely once I can put my hands on the game again.

Hi, thanks. That would be awesome. We are already trying to adjust the map so it's not needed at all but any help would be appreciated. 

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Eh, I dunno. I think 1x zoom at any time makes sense because it's realistic, not because sometimes I need to shoot someone 400m away. And in fact a lot of the time, in CQB, which is Argo's playground, I want a wide FOV when I ADS. The current system doesn't allow that (unless I'm mistaken and the zoom controls you mention do that, but I don't think so - I'll have to check). As a practical example, say I spot an enemy in the corner of my screen. If I ADS right away, which I will, my screen zooms in and I'll probably lose sight of the target for a second. That's even worse if we're both moving at the time. It's not a problem in arma cause I control when and where I go to proper 1x zoom.

yeah I think it's mostly the change in areas of firemode / ammo that's annoying, more than the change in colour/shape. Maybe I'll get used to it, but what was wrong with the a3 setup? Consistency is king here, IMO.

Another thought is that perhaps (not sure if this should carry over to A3) the default firemode should be consistent between weapons, ie, full-auto is default. Which makes sense from a PVP perspective, if you need single shot, chances are you have the time to check. But if you need full-auto, chances are you don't. So keep it logical and consistent. And I greatly prefer Arma 3's indicator for firemode than Argo's single icon, but maybe I'm just used to Arma 3.

Hi,

We agreed on taking the firemode feedback to heart and we will be adding this to game shortly!

Keep the feedback coming, it helps us making Project Argo better everyday :)

• Like 1

I haven't tried this demo yet, but I just wanted to toss this out...

I always thought it would be cool to use the mouse scroll wheel as a way to incrementally and more precisely control a player's movement speed on the fly (scroll up to gradually increase the speed, down to decrease). Add a modifier to it (e.g. ctrl + scroll wheel) and it could also be used to adjust one's stance incrementally as well.

Some feedback after a few rounds.

-Rounds were fast, faster than I expected and I was hoping for something a little longer. IMO more distance between objectives would be nice. So instead of just fighting for whatever point in the middle we can have engagements in between, I think this would lead to more random engagements which I think are more exciting 

-Guns felt a little weak at times. I watched a 6.5 take half a mag and the .338 square to someones chest and they skip away like they were tickled by a butterfly. I felt encouraged to just spray the area and not aim

-Recoil was weak to non existent. which is a big issue for the LMG that thing is a lazer beam of death. Over all I think recoil needs to be boosted according to weapon\caliber. If nothing else just to balance

-Minor but I felt UI was a little big and in the way would like to see it shrunk or the ability to scale it

-Throwing grenades was way weird felt like their was no weight to the throw 

I had fun though all in all it felt pretty damn solid. Well done guys

Decided to do not install this mod "game" because of install size - 14,3 Gb for something, very reminding of "King of the Hill" mission for A3 (and non-fact it is better, sorry).

And Bohemia is lost a mind or something, to make ArmA 3 engine downloadable for free?..

It's a test as they try something new and seperate from the base game, it's also free but you're still not happy ?

If you decided to not install it, how do you know it's better/worse than KOTH ? I've played both, both are free, both are fun, both are different from each other.

• Like 10

It's a test as they try something new and seperate from the base game, it's also free but you're still not happy ?

I don't see any reason to separate mods from base game, but I see many reasons to add new core mechanics, required for original (or "original" in this case) mods, to base game.

I have ArmA 3 - why I must feel happines downloading it again for every mod, even with "new" island?

There should be an introduction thread about what this game exactly is because i still have no idea. Did see a video and it looks like an Arma mission with a modified UI. Thats fine they can do as they please but it really doesnt look like they're advancing anything with the engine here. If they want quick fast paced 5 on 5 action it would be better if they advanced things like "Vault" rather than removing it, Add things like BadBensons enhanced movement, maybe rappelling, I dunno something more Just Cause- like to add some exhileration to the game. As it is, it looks far too much like a standard Arma MP mission without any real new "hook ya" features.

• Like 3

everybody agree ? who is that "everybody" ?

there is no support for VR from the game so how FPS is terrible ? Yes, there are some softwares that u put in the background and then it works. Im not talking about that, im talkin about pure game support on VR.

Yes i know that game but i have the Oculus. I understand that making the game support VR is a huge effort especily when its a heavy game. But Bohimea falks are good dev, they will find a solution just need to start this kind of project. Everything can be optimized its just to begin with.

Everybody was a bit to much, but I didn't find a single feedback from players, testers, devs or press that say that the fps they've try didn't give them some motion sickness (except for rail shooters) because your eyes see you walking but your body do not feel like that.

Also dev something on VR is not being on the verge of gaming technology, it's a bet on a market, if the tech do not work: oups, if it succeed well you can dev a game in mature environment, why should BI rush on this tech when the hardware is still on dev and expensive ?

please not....

You wanna make this a BattleDuty Clone.

Agree, lets not ruin another game.

• Like 1

If you decided to not install it, how do you know it's better/worse than KOTH ? I've played both, both are free, both are fun, both are different from each other.

It's clear he has ArmA III much like most of us, but is selfish and hates the idea of a mod available for everyone.

If you release this, I will buy it. I love arma 3 and this to me is its little brother. The gameplay style you have taken takes competitive FPS to another level. The mix of arma 3 and its play style coupled with a competitive element is for me a job well done and a certain must have to anyone who either likes arma series or FPS competitve games.

Thumbs up from me, keep up the good work

any set release date :P

• Like 6

It's clear he has ArmA III much like most of us, but is selfish and hates the idea of a mod available for everyone.

I hates idea of separating mods to oversized standalone games. Even more than cutting out parts of game to DLCs.

I think it is just a little to early to release a game like this in VR. The thing is if you want to have people play together (non VR User and VR user) you need to change a lot, you have to care about the balancing (which is hard i guess because VR user move more slowly and may have a bigger input lag than non VR player) and the other thing is you have to care about the compatibility. 

• Like 2

About vaulting, I had and I saw other player having an animation issue in Link gamemode, grid 083 031, between 1B and 2.

To leave 1B area and go to 2, there is an asset of wooden boards, to pass above a wall. In some situations, players can be stuck for a short time (but enough to be shot down).

I don't know if it has been modified, but I didn't manage to reproduce today. However, I saw several people stuck there yesterday.

Very long time FPS player here, just my two cents.

-When hit, player movement should slow down (For example, briefly play injured animation when being hit).
-Zig zagging needs to die. Same for superstrafing. The best option to shoot behind cover should be peeking out, not strafing out 100km/h, while changing directions.

-While sprinting, strafing left and right should reduce speed. Same slowdown should happend when trying to change directions (zigzagging with mouse).
-The UI is too large and obstructive. I suggest to keeping it minimal.
-FOV should be higher.

E: I have to mention that my wishes may clash with BI's vision as I like my FPS games as hardcore as possible.

I also wish we could customize our characters and weapons  before entering lobby.

One thing that bugged me was lack of jogging. It feels weird to sprint around instead of consolidating my stamina.

Getting rid of A3 default settings like mouse smoothing and headbob would probably be nice for newer players.

E: As we have GPS and compass, have them as constantly visible HUD elements.

• Like 3

Body clean-up between rounds would be nice. In all game modes, most notably Raid and Clash where no respawn is available.

First: this ^. 

Second: maybe think about giving each side a unique set of weapons, because it can be quite hard to differentiate between a friendly or enemy firing.

Third: change the color of the font in the lobby to a more readable one, right now its nearly white on white.

First off just wanted to say how pleased i am with this release and I can see how it will open the doors to lots of new arma adventures.

I have a bunch of ideas:

1. I would really like the ability to move my gun from high low position back in stock arma3.

2. would love to see a mode that allows the end game revive system.

3. different times of day would be nice and or night vision.

4. releasing the stock missions so they could be played with where there located.

5. a game mode that has no respawns but allows revive, 2 possible bomb sites at 2 separate locations and allow them to be disarmed if there is enough time.

6. taskforceradio would be cool to try luckily most are using the ingame voice chat

7. game mode of 10vs10 using the game mechanics. team one secures there objective so they move to the next location in the next match different objectives almost in the sense of a story.

8. swat style mission with more swat like looking guys vs bad guy looking guys.

9. many vs few game mode give the team with more numbers less tech while providing the smaller number teams wtih say night vision on a night time map.

I've been dreaming of a game mechcanic that would do the things project argo offers the possibilities are limitless!

could be a real contender for games like battlefield and cod!

thank you for your work!

Edit:
update on this,

Perhaps instead of turning on the end game revive opening up a medic class that can do heals and revive that would be pretty awesome especially on the non re-spawn style games.  would make the medic hella useful.

• Like 1

I think there is a misunderstanding of what Argo is. If I understand what I've seen and read there's no way to release Argo as a add-on or mod.

This is a competitive FPS game using the framework and assets from Arma 3. They are developing it alongside Arma 3 but not everything in one game will necessarily go in the other. What they tweak or change in Argo may not be good in Arma.

The good news is we get a free game in testing and BI have a platform to tweak and test stuff on that won't draw a collective groan from the Arma community when something doesn't work out.

This is a gift horse that shouldn't be looked at in the mouth.

Looking forward to downloading this when I get back to my PC:)

• Like 11