almanzo

Feedback Thread

And nice to see Bohemia dedicate some resources towards testing new ideas and experimenting in coordination with the community in such a way. 

Will definately give it a go! Good luck with it!

• Like 8

If something comes out of it, maybe Bohemia can try more CQB projects.

We've seen what Bohemia can do with general warfare, helicopter piloting, and even projects about Mars. I've always been curious how they would do a close quarters conflict, kind of like a Rainbow Six. Not Rainbow Six Siege in particular, but the kind of operations in more urbanized environments with hostages on the line in an official sense.

This would appear to be a small glimpse for such a project, even it it's still "loose" in the sense that both sides are PMCs and what's on the line are assets from a space station. :P

• Like 6

Hi all,

This looks like an awesome project - can't wait to dig in.  Downloading now.

Just wanted to say thanks for this nice surprise!

Best,

CVGridley

• Like 7

Now that we have our hands on it, here is some early comments :

- death feed is hardly readable in some situations

- we can't watch the score while on the respawn menu

- there are some perf issues such as freeze, you may want to reduce the render distance

- it seems impossible to load a new mission after the end of the first one. Downloading is stuck at 0/0Ko

Good luck for the future!

Some of my comments...

- I like how you autozoom down the scope. Normally I use mods for this, as I don't like the default zoom, so this out of the gate is cool.

- The stamina system is totally casual. I have no idea if it's simply not in this build, but the only issue you get by sprinting is that visual effect that happens when you're fatigued in ArmA III. There is no effect on weapon sway in this regard.

- Vaulting is missing...?

- Stance has very little effect on weapon capability, as people are dancers with strafing out of cover.

- As said in an earlier post, you have to quit back to the server list to actually start another game, otherwise you get the 0/0 mission download.

- There's no AI in this build, despite the pitch video showing AI as a slot to fill in. Would have been nice to test game modes without going online and getting bodied in no respawn games. :P

I think it can be fun, but I think we should be asking, straight up, who this product is for. Is this for the ArmA fan who leans milsim, or the dude who leans Call of Duty?

• Like 1

I can relate to the impossible to load a new mission thing, although, it worked fine 1/5 times for me.

I was able to see the score in the respawn menu though (use tab).  I thought I was able to, this is not the case.

Also the Loadouts where quite... interesting, interesting mixes of gear.

I really like the prototype, Its short rounds, high action, tactical, its fun. It's one of those games you can play for hours and come back to.

Sometimes Link gamemode was a bit too fast in my opinion (maybe spread the objectives a little more?) like in 2 cases the game was over within 1 minute.

I really like to see a FPS with the free look and free movement (alt + wasd) functions and this is definetly something to keep and definetly an interesting and fun concept.

I hope to see more updates/info coming and in the meanwhile I will play some more.

BRB, have to defend the terminal

• Like 2

Hey,

i want to share my ideas and suggestion what i think would make Project Argo better.

Here is a list what i would like to see:

-Hitmarkers

-a display in the middle of the screen who you killed and how many points you got (Headshot)

-Level System with rewards and stuff

-a better role selection and weapon costumzation

-longer rounds

-some kind of Conquest mode as we see in Battlefield, there is Clash but its very confusing, after every flag you captured, the round starts again and you have to capture the next flag (i don't like this)

-(CLASH) more cover in the capturing zones

So thats my list, i really like the Game, the last hour was a lot of fun!

• Like 1

Indeed, vaulting is missing and that's an issue, the map being young we're often stuck in this weird flying animation.

About the design, the voice giving informations might be too clear, an effect like a radio distortion could be a nice addition. And IMHO, there's maybe a little bit too much vehicles on the map.

-Hitmarkers

-a display in the middle of the screen who you killed and how many points you got (Headshot)

-Level System with rewards and stuff

please not....

You wanna make this a BattleDuty Clone.

• Like 8

Project Argo, my 2 hour tour and thoughts.

After a successful offensive to take Objective Echo, our team planned it's next move. After some discussion about terrain and approach of each objective, we made a plan. We would go for Objective Bravo, After we discussed this plan, we spawned in and made our move. The approach seemed to be working, however another merc from the opposing team had other ideas. About 200m from the objective we received a cloud of LMG fire. Thinking fast we use the trees as cover as we lay down smoke for the rest the squad to get into position. The fire was getting far more accurate and casualties were expected to happen. Luckily for us though our quick thinking marksman silenced the LMG and allowed us to continue. Despite the fire fight, it appeared the opposing team hasn't responded so we continue our advance tell we are around 80m from the objective. A few grenade tosses and some dumbfounded defenders cut down. We secured it.

19f2187db9d3add7d0639e575e2c512714779941
That was the highlight of the 2 hour tour of my play through of Project Argo. A project that aims to bring a streamlined competitive scene to Arma 3. But was that moment a truly Argo moment, or was it a Arma 3 moment?

In Argo you will find that slower paced mechanics such as vaulting, scroll menu, and zooming have all been taken out. The UI has changed drastically as well, with a more arcade system showing the grenades, fire type, and ammo count in the bottom right of the screen. Stamina seems to exist but only long 100-150m sprints seem to wind you. Health is also not shown and currently no way to heal from wounds. The change may surprise you but ultimately you forget about this as your opponent is only 50m from you. The current game features 3 missions to play on.

LINK features a capture the middle scenario, were you must keep a link between points to capture it, players can disrupt this link to create audibles in what is a more centralized firefight. The next scenario I played is called CLASH, a objective by objective series of rounds were players get to decide which objective to attack. The final mode called RAID has one team attempting to breach and hack various computers in a compound, why the other team attempts to fend them off.

Out of the three mission types, CLASH probably stood out as my favorite so far. Having only one life and several ways to win. I found my team would often discuss the best parts about Arma style of play. Such as terrain approach, over watch positions, ect. Bringing out the best in long term goal planning that many FPS lack these days. On the other end of the spectrum was RAID. On paper it sounds right, a one life situation were a team needs to hack a device in a well guarded compound. However, it never seemed to work that way due to the nature of the current map. With no way to properly suppress the defenders, the attackers are heavily limited on options, why the defenders have dozen of firing points that guard each of the few entrances to the base. I felt that the overall game mode was clunky at best, and down right cheesy at it's worst.

Despite the new modes, the question still burned in my head. Is this ARGO or am I just playing a user made mission in Arma? Obviously from a technical prospective its pretty easy to say it's Arma. But I found that the CQC and overall map designs were almost a step away from what makes Arma a strong fps contender. The CQC was fun but how many other games can boast they can have PvP matches were players have to deal with logistics, transport, approach, terrain analysis, and many other factors that other games don't? Sure you can apply some of these here with certain modes, but do they really matter when the game pushes for a faster pace? Many questions will still be there as we watch Argo develop, and ultimately I expect all of them to have a response in years to come. I say good luck to Bohemia Incubator and their future endeavors! 

• Like 9

please not....

I think it's BI who want to make a BattleDuty: Global Offensive Clone.

I agree, hitmarkers don't fit. But a kill-log would be good.

Of course it's just a test version, but I don't see the sense in it yet.

It seems to me like a polished, standalone endgame, only more casual. And endgame was a flop.  :unsure:

*** DEV PLZ READ ***

2016 is almost over and 2017 starts. Therefor, game must support VR. A game truly cant be called advanced if its not optimized to what technology is been used these days in the market.

I realy hope to see this game support VR googles and then implementet on ArmA3.

Hope this reply will get to the people that matter. A lot of players of ArmA3 are behaind me.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Having not played just yet and people mentioning the lack of vaulting, how do you get over little objects like those damn tiny chain link fences? Does future malden not have these devils?

*** DEV PLZ READ ***

2016 is almost over and 2017 starts. Therefor, game must support VR. A game truly cant be called advanced if its not optimized to what technology is been used these days in the market.

Hope this reply will get to the people that matter. A lot of players of ArmA3 are behaind me.

Thanks.

I thought everybody agreed based on feedback that VR for FPS is terrible, that's why only rail shooters are available. Also "motion gaming" was a "technology used these days in the market" we all know how it ended.

AS far I see Project Argo is a more fast paced, small scaled, tactical shooter than arma, in the armaverse, not sure it need all the progression systems/killstreak/lockedgun that others have it encourage selfish gameplay etc... custom outfit/loadout on the other hand is only about fight with swag and theorycrafting about the best gear to use, ho and more maps.

• Like 2

please not....

Thats not what i want, but since its a FPS Game(because its Arma and will still be Arma), i personally think it should have hitmarkers. 

*** DEV PLZ READ ***

Thanks.

I saw a Video of a German Modder testing Arma 3 VR, it does work. I don't remember the name of the Modder now, but i'll send you a link later.

But i don't think it would be fit into this Game.

willithappen, on 02 Nov 2016 - 02:54, said:

Having not played just yet and people mentioning the lack of vaulting, how do you get over little objects like those damn tiny chain link fences? Does future malden not have these devils?

The maps are set up in such a way, that you don't need the vault. You won't find many small fences and other things typically in the Arma environment in each mission. Out of my 2 hours I only wished I had it once when I got stuck climbing some scaffolding, but even then it seemed to correct me by itself. Rather it was just luck or a script I'm not sure.

• Like 1

Hi! First of all id like to thank you for this awesome stuff! Lots if my friends are like arma but tend to more casual and lite fastpaced battlefield style games, And suddenly this is way we need to fill the gap. 

Some suggestions

• get rid of that legacy vanilla arma postreport after mission
  • let people customize their loadout
  • award for good perfomance with titles and attachments like in BF series - players are used to that kide of systems
  • turn vsync off by default! first 5 minuts i wonder why my game runs so badly compare to the arma xd
  • turn down draw distance by default its way overkill for CQB 

Keep up the good work!

• Like 2

So, Argo. I like the premise, but the current execution has some faults - luckily they are nothing too severe in terms of fixing.

The Good:

1. 1st person! Finally, will I get to play arma PVP in first person...?

2. Missions look fun and interesting, not overly complicated. They could be bigger though. I assume you have plans to do 10v10 missions or higher at some point too. Look at DTAS, you can have small player counts and still decently sized zones. Another note to take from DTAS is a randomized spawn gives a huge boost to replayability, with fixed spawns I basically know where and when players will be, so I could get into a (lame, and very video-gamey) routine at the start of the round by rushing to a "good spot".

3. Gear. While giving players an ARCO on areas this size might've been a touch optimistic, I am very glad that this mission focuses on infantry and doesn't include apcs, tanks, jets etc. that ruin infantry gameplay. Never add the MMG's under any circumstances.

The Bad:

1. 5 Minute timelimits on the permadeath modes. This is exactly what kills games like R6: Siege - you could work around the problems infront of you, tell teammates exactly where enemies are, figure out a plan but nope, timelimit. Obviously there needs to be some system to stop people hiding and causing the match to last for 30+min or whatever, but a 5 minute limit is way, way too low. Otherwise it's just rush rush rush. You need some time to communicate. 10 minutes would be the absolute minimum I would consider. 15 is more reasonable.

2. Removed being able to zoom to 1x at any time. This just boggles my mind. You already had the perfect system in arma, and the auto-to-1x zoom in argo is awful. Like, really awful. I can't get 1x view in freelook (I see zoom is still in the controls, but does nothing, as does Optics Temporary, to my dismay), I can't get a high-fov view ADS.. it's a terrible choice.

3. UI. Why change what works in Arma 3? I'm already conditioned to where to look for firemode etc, why go and change that? It's just annoying. It seems like it's made different just for the sake of being different, not for any practical purpose. But maybe the UI designers have their reasons. Though they're wrong and I hate them.

4. Need to find some way to stop the meta of using nades / 40mm on the obj once it starts being capped, cause that's super lame and unfun.

5. ...Why can I not zero my optics? I mean I get that you want to simplify the game, but..... why. Just don't give people optics than can be zeroed. Or let them zero. Which shouldn't be a problem anyway. Or is the information just missing from the current UI?

The Bugly:

1. Not being able to use temporary optic (ADS) as mentioned
  2. Mission doesn't seem to properly restart?
  • Like 2

*** DEV PLZ READ ***

Thanks.

I thought everybody agreed based on feedback that VR for FPS is terrible, that's why only rail shooters are available. Also "motion gaming" was a "technology used these days in the market" we all know how it ended.

AS far I see Project Argo is a more fast paced, small scaled, tactical shooter than arma, in the armaverse, not sure it need all the progression systems/killstreak/lockedgun that others have it encourage selfish gameplay etc... custom outfit/loadout on the other hand is only about fight with swag and theorycrafting about the best gear to use, ho and more maps.

Currently VR technology is in huge development, and not perfect yet. Therefor imo I think the devs can better wait with implementing VR. VR doesn't support things like full HD yet, at least, it makes FPS low af and since arma is already a CPU heavy game I don't think this will be an option atm. Although It would be cool to look at for the next game in the series and make the VR function something like this new game, this seems really interesting:

• Like 1

everybody agree ? who is that "everybody" ?

there is no support for VR from the game so how FPS is terrible ? Yes, there are some softwares that u put in the background and then it works. Im not talking about that, im talkin about pure game support on VR.

Currently VR technology is in huge development, and not perfect yet. Therefor imo I think the devs can better wait with implementing VR. VR doesn't support things like full HD yet, at least, it makes FPS low af and since arma is already a CPU heavy game I don't think this will be an option atm. Although It would be cool to look at for the next game in the series and make the VR function something like this new game, this seems really interesting:

Yes i know that game but i have the Oculus. I understand that making the game support VR is a huge effort especily when its a heavy game. But Bohimea falks are good dev, they will find a solution just need to start this kind of project. Everything can be optimized its just to begin with.

Indeed, vaulting is missing and that's an issue, the map being young we're often stuck in this weird flying animation.

About the design, the voice giving informations might be too clear, an effect like a radio distortion could be a nice addition. And IMHO, there's maybe a little bit too much vehicles on the map.

Vaulting has been removed, it does say that in the game description 

Some of my comments...

- I like how you autozoom down the scope. Normally I use mods for this, as I don't like the default zoom, so this out of the gate is cool.

- The stamina system is totally casual. I have no idea if it's simply not in this build, but the only issue you get by sprinting is that visual effect that happens when you're fatigued in ArmA III. There is no effect on weapon sway in this regard.

- Vaulting is missing...?

- Stance has very little effect on weapon capability, as people are dancers with strafing out of cover.

- As said in an earlier post, you have to quit back to the server list to actually start another game, otherwise you get the 0/0 mission download.

- There's no AI in this build, despite the pitch video showing AI as a slot to fill in. Would have been nice to test game modes without going online and getting bodied in no respawn games. :P

I think it can be fun, but I think we should be asking, straight up, who this product is for. Is this for the ArmA fan who leans milsim, or the dude who leans Call of Duty?

Hi,

Stamina is build in Project Argo, we simply removed the bar showing it, if the case is it's causing confusion we will take a close look at it and consider adding it back.

Being stucked in lobby with "Receiving mission files" message is a known issue. To prevent this, when mission ends don't click the "I am ready" button just wait for new mission lobby to appear.

We are currently working on fixing this as fast as we can. 

Vaulting is indeed missing, we are creating the locations in the way that vaulting should not be needed. If stumble upon a case where mission vaulting is an issue preventing you from playing, please do report it :)

We believe it's a mix of both Arma and more casual games. Project Argo was created as an experimental game to test the mechanics and our ideas.

• Like 1

Vaulting is manly used to "debug" animations when the player is stuck somewhere. Might not be needed, but it may require some adjustment on the map to prevent players from being stuck in an asset. I'll try to report it more precisely once I can put my hands on the game again.