johnnyboy

JBOY Dog [v1.5 - updated 12/21/2018]

a mod to surpass metal gear..... awesome job johnny! all the possible shenanigans with this and your chicken mod  :D

• Like 1

a mod to surpass metal gear..... awesome job johnny! all the possible shenanigans with this and your chicken mod  :D

Thanks HJ!  Shenanigans is a great word for this!  With a little imagination, great shenanigans are possible.

nice job on this one really cool 10/10

Appreciate the feedback ice_age.  It still needs some work, but it definitely adds something missing from the game.

hi jboy

it is nice mod.

how do use this scrip on other map ?

please add mine detector dog .

Thanks AFP.  This script can be used on any map, but its up to a mission designer (anyone using the editor) to take my sample code and add it to a  mission.  Its not a mod that magically works in any mission.

Mine Detector Dog is in the to-do list, but that is probably at least a month away (pretty busy in RL).

I too was working on dogs :) Only got as far as proof of concept(follow,move to cursor,relax,sit,bite, and hunt) but also made a radial menu for it. Feel free to use any of it.

"T" to open command menu.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pcvv1k8r8p94r3/Dogs.VR.rar?dl=0

Thanks soolie...great minds think alike!  I'll have a look.  I'm currently planning on using a numeric key menu that Cosmic10R has helped me with.

Edit:  BTW, I'm really pleased at all the offers of help I've had with this (your proof of concept, M1ke_SK offered to collaborate and provided mine detection examples, thedog88 has offered up his arma 2 tactical dog vest model, cosmic10r' provided a slick numeric menu example, Persian MO generously fixed JBOY Chicken to be JIP compliant and Mynock has offered up some SFX).  I credit it all this to our great community and a love for our 4 legged friends!

Edit2:  Soolie, your proof-of-concept is really cool.  Very interesting to compare approaches.  I learned a few tricks from your code and may borrow a few.  The radial menu is really cool...haven't seen that before, love the custom icons in it.  And I like the idea of when dog in follow mode, and handler gets in vehicle, dog gets in too (and gets out when handler gets out).  Less micro-managing of dog (less micro-managing is something M1ke_SK suggested also). 

And using AttachTo for attacking..I may try that.  Currently I'm using SetVelocity and the dog clips through the man sometimes, your way may work better.

I'm going to study this some more.  Thanks again!

• Like 2

@johnnyboy
Looks nice, just saw your JBOY Chickens very nice

To fix dogs walking through objects, you need to make an addon with the model and animations and import the model as soldier simulation class.
Few extra memory points required etc & abit more defining in the movements.
Its abit of pain todo, but you will end up better path finding for the unit and you don't need to mess with playmove / switchmove etc...

Downside is you cant use any of the arma3 models and will need a custom model + animations.

@johnnyboy

Looks nice, just saw your JBOY Chickens very nice

To fix dogs walking through objects, you need to make an addon with the model and animations and import the model as soldier simulation class.

Few extra memory points required etc & abit more defining in the movements.

Its abit of pain todo, but you will end up better path finding for the unit and you don't need to mess with playmove / switchmove etc...

Downside is you cant use any of the arma3 models and will need a custom model + animations.

@torndeco:  thanks.  I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't have the time or interest to learn 3d modeling and animations at this time.  If someone else creates a good dog addon, I'd consider converting to using it.  Another advantage of your soldier class suggestion is that ai would perceive enemy dogs and engage them.  Currently my workaround is to attached invisible targets to the dogs, reveal the targets, have ai dowatch and dotarget the invisible targets, and force them to fire.  It looks pretty good sometimes, and pretty lame other times (unrealistic reactions by AI).

I'll have a look at Soolies menu too.

Sounds cool.

The only real advantage I can think of for the numeric menu is for key macros and voice command and the fact u can have so many submenus if necessary.

Radial menus are pretty nice... and may have other advantages over the numeric one for the player...

I'll have a look at Soolies menu too.

Sounds cool.

The only real advantage I can think of for the numeric menu is for key macros and voice command and the fact u can have so many submenus if necessary.

Radial menus are pretty nice... and may have other advantages over the numeric one for the player...

Let me know what you think after you look at it.  I like it stylelistically--dog sillouettes are cool--but it feels a bit of an immersion breaker because its so visually different than other in-game interfaces.  And it blocks alot of screen, which can make it difficult for cursorTargeting exactly an AI unit.  I'm also going to be adding more menu options, so adjusting the "clickable slice of the pie" in the radial menu when adding additional options is more work.  Plus I would need to have additional dog sillouettes for the additonal actions, which is more work to find or make.  This all makes me lean to the numeric menu, at least for now (as I have so many more things to do on Jboy Dog).  I do really like the radial menu though, its very creative.

Edit:  Cosmic, soolie's menu is invoked using the T key, and it does not require CBA addon.  Can your numeric menu approach work without requiring CBA addon?

You could easily configure it to any key but the nice thing about cba keybinding is the ease of use for end user...

It's available to configure in options and is easy to set for each user for their specific keyboard layout... no user configs or hard bound keys...

But as always... your choice... Soolie makes great menus :)

• Like 3

I could do a simple list box instead of the radial menu. Would be easier to configure/add/ remove commands.

Also, you can store data in the index of the listbox(one text value and one number value).

It could work the same as the radial menu, meaning a display that allows movement when open.

Also the listbox can be easily made to look like the other UIs and could also display what your looking at for commands that require a target.

• Like 2

This is awesome, finally good working script for actual Arma 3 version.

VERY looking for MP compatibility.

And, what is needed too, a method to create packs of wild dogs that will attack everybody else.

This is awesome, finally good working script for actual Arma 3 version.

VERY looking for MP compatibility.

And, what is needed too, a method to create packs of wild dogs that will attack everybody else.

Thx MJR.  Both those things are coming soon (RL permitting). Definitely on my short list.

• Like 1

Made a simple listbox, got the colors matched up with the inventory UI so it fits in better.

I think I'm going to add a tooltip to the commands that require a target or position.

Tool tip will show where or who the dog is going/attacking.

oCLjiVk.jpg

• Like 2

Man this is great!!! I have a WIP mission just right for this.... If only the dogs could seek a specific target... :P ... that will be RAD!!!!

• Like 1

Made a simple listbox, got the colors matched up with the inventory UI so it fits in better.

I think I'm going to add a tooltip to the commands that require a target or position.

Tool tip will show where or who the dog is going/attacking.

Soolie that's awesome.  I was going to do the key menu this weekend...:)  Can you send me your code to integrate?  I really appreciate this.  You will be loudly credited for your help sir!

I'm hoping to release the next version at the end of the weekend (which hopefully includes new menu, first cut of roaming feral dog packs, improved AI targeting of dogs, and miscellaneous other small improvements).

Man this is great!!! I have a WIP mission just right for this.... If only the dogs could seek a specific target... :P ... that will be RAD!!!!

Look forward to your mission Zagor.  By "seek" do you mean attack?   Player controlled dogs and autonomous dogs can do that now.  But if by "seek" you mean track someone, I haven't built that yet.  My idea for tracking is to run a loop on the hunted unit, where we record his current position in an array every 30 seconds or so.  This array becomes the scent trail for dog to follow.  Its easier to send dog directly to target's position, but that is cheating and does not truly simulate tracking.  I also want the tracking code to allow for a predefined array of positions (a "path") to be used by the dog as well.  This would be for scripted mission.  Example:  K9 cop at murder crime scene, dog picks up trail of murderer, and dog follows pre-defined path to murderer location.

• Like 4

Soolie that's awesome.  I was going to do the key menu this weekend... :)  Can you send me your code to integrate?  I really appreciate this.  You will be loudly credited for your help sir!

I'm hoping to release the next version at the end of the weekend (which hopefully includes new menu, first cut of roaming feral dog packs, improved AI targeting of dogs, and miscellaneous other small improvements).

Look forward to your mission Zagor.  By "seek" do you mean attack?   Player controlled dogs and autonomous dogs can do that now.  But if by "seek" you mean track someone, I haven't built that yet.  My idea for tracking is to run a loop on the hunted unit, where we record his current position in an array every 30 seconds or so.  This array becomes the scent trail for dog to follow.  Its easier to send dog directly to target's position, but that is cheating and does not truly simulate tracking.  I also want the tracking code to allow for a predefined array of positions (a "path") to be used by the dog as well.  This would be for scripted mission.  Example:  K9 cop at murder crime scene, dog picks up trail of murderer, and dog follows pre-defined path to murderer location.

Yap..seek as the ability to track someone. And I love your idea of tracking. Your example fit perfectly what I meant....

Really, REALLY looking forward to that.... ;)  

"The Hunt" sounds awesome. Just don't forget to make it MP and Dedicated compatible! I mean, the whole project, not only this part :)

• Like 1

I've always wanted to be able to interact with animals in A3 and I'm really impressed with this script.

Thank you for creating it. I may implement it into my singleplayer survival mission soon. 

PS: The scroll menu can be a bit annoying I think, but i guess there aren't any good alternatives to replace it.

I've always wanted to be able to interact with animals in A3 and I'm really impressed with this script.

Thank you for creating it. I may implement it into my singleplayer survival mission soon. 

PS: The scroll menu can be a bit annoying I think, but i guess there aren't any good alternatives to replace it.

Thanks Merc.  Link your mission here when you're done, or post a screenshot!

I agree about scroll menus.  In the next release I've replaced the scroll menu with a much better dialog menu from Soolie.  I'm still working on a couple of unrelated issues, but hope to release an update any day now.

• Like 1

Looking forward to it Jonnyboy!!!

ps: don't forget the most important command: " hunt him down,boy!!" :D  :P

• Like 1

Looking forward to it Jonnyboy!!!

ps: don't forget the most important command: " hunt him down,boy!!" :D  :P

I won't forget brother.  ;) Sadly that feature won't be soon, as we're heading into the holidays and there will be less time for this.  Next release will include only new Soolie menu, feral Dog Pack roaming, and feral Dog Pack attacking when they sense near targets.

• Like 5

Yeah Bro...I feel for you. Holidays will bring us funny,relaxing family reunion, frugal meals and tons of bingo games with elderly relatives. :ph34r: 

Don't miss on that fun...I'll be patiently waiting for your  awesome work to re-start!!! 

• Like 1

Sounds great, johnnyboy!

As I just updated my mission featuring your script I'm posting the link here:

BIS Forums: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/198362-sp-dayzero-beta-survival/#entry3120947

or if you prefer 

Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=782198044

Thank you so much again. I think it's a great new feature in my SP-scenario. And don't be surprised, I had to adjust parts of the script to suit my mission (even though I lack necessary scripting knowlegde  :rolleyes:)

• Like 1

I've been playing around with the script for some time now. Although it's excellent work, I noticed two issues (apart from dogs ignoring map objects, which you already mentioned in your "known issues" list).

- Hand signs seem to continue throughout each attack, which becomes annoying when trying to fire a weapon

- The dog (sometimes?) moves away about a hundred meters after an attack, which can quickly get you into trouble if there are multiple enemies around

And it would be awesome to see compatibility for RHS vehicles, although this is not urgent  :P.

Thank you so much again for this great script anyway.

• Like 1