HeroesandvillainsOS

[ALiVE, SP/COOP 1-20] Battle of FATA [Insurgency]

pTxWfNL.jpg

Across the border in South Waziristan, Afghan National Army Commandos target Taliban cells in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas of Pakistan

Although solo play is encouraged, the mission should only be run in LAN or on a local hosted server, which allows you to save and load your progress. 

Features Include:

CAS and logistical support

The full suit of ALiVE features including suicide bombers, IED's and VBIED's

Multiple bases to choose from for respawn

Ambient civilian traffic

Intelligence on dead bodies

A Mini prison for those of you who like to round up and detain civilians

Zeus Game Master for Admins

As a traditional ALiVE Assymetrical Insurgency mission, the idea here is to replicate a long-term persistent campaign, going out on patrol, talking to the locals, clearing and holding towns, and destroying the enemy resources. For more insight on how to play, please read the "How to play" section in the mission briefing area. For a more in-depth analysis of what the bells and whistles of an ALiVE Insurgency entails, here is an excellent breakdown from the ALiVE wiki: http://alivemod.com/....php/Insurgency

Mods:

CBA*

ALiVE*

Spyder Addons*

Community Factions Project*

CUP Weapons*

CUP Units*

CUP Vehicles*

CUP Terrains Core, CWA and Maps*

FATA http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=22057

Alternative link for FATA that might have superior sound. Untested and unsupported!: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=31630

Note: * means I'm currently using the Steam Workshop version of the mod.

Saving your progress: This mission uses a local saving feature, which is accessed in the esc menu and initiated by the "server save and exit" function. To continue your save, simply act as if you're starting the mission over again and your data will load automatically. To start the mission over, change the PBO name or execute "call ALiVE_fnc_ProfileNameSpaceClear" in the debug menu. This mission should only be played on a local hosted server, even if you're playing alone with AI. If you want to play the mission on a dedicated server, for now, unpack the mission, open the Data module, and change the local saving option to "cloud."

Download linkhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/tfk0bf2yyrxbiom/Battle_of_FATA_CFP.fata.pbo?dl=0

Workshop page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=960750742

• Like 6

Ok, so for anyone that's never tried, here is a link to the ALiVE wiki which contains a list of steps to follow to get a locally hosted dedicated server up and running on your own PC using the community made TADST tool (steps written by Brawler, added to the Wiki by SavageCDN):

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/ALiVE_Data

And the TADST tool: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/101123-tophes-arma-dedicated-server-tool-tadst/

Here's a link to ALiVE's War Room where you can register and setup your server for persistence: http://alivemod.com/user/login

Note: The server will then need to run @aliveserver, which is to be placed last in the mod line. Clients never run @aliveserver so put it on the server only.

And again congrats to a release! 

Sounds like a "classic" ALiVE COIN scenario re-imagined on a fresh map - very interesting & might actually motivate me to download the Brits stuff!  ;)

• Like 1

Hey buddy, could you please explain me if this can be played in SP?

because you said: "Although single-player play is encouraged, it should only be run in LAN or on a dedicated server." 

Well, is it ok to play in SP or not (no LAN or server)t?

Hey buddy, could you please explain me if this can be played in SP?

because you said: "Although single-player play is encouraged, it should only be run in LAN or on a dedicated server." [/size]

Well, is it ok to play in SP or not (no LAN or server)t?

Hi Spotter! Sorry if my phrasing was a little confusing.

The mission should only be played in LAN or on a dedicated server. SP isn't a good option because ALiVE stores a lot of data. If you'd like to try it to see if it suits you, put the PBO in your MP missions folder and host a LAN session for yourself.

To save and load your progress, a dedicated server registered to ALiVE's War Room is necessary. I'll add instructions for how to accomplish this in the "reserved" post above. And trust me, it's easy and well worth it. Lots of amazing ALiVE missions out there and spending the time to do this will allow you to experience the greatness of them all.

No problem! Links added in the second post!

Also, I plan on pushing a very small update tonight to increase the amount of map Intel given to the player. I currently have it set up for players to discover most of this on their own through patrolling/finding Intel near dead bodies/talking to civs, but I just had a request to increase the auto-intel just a little a bit so I'll go ahead and make that happen.

Hello!

When i try to start this mission with Burnes Foxhound 2.1 i get an errormessage about missing Burnes Vehicles.

When i use the outdated first release of his Foxhound i can play without any errors.

Could it be that this outstanding mission is using the outdated version?

Edit

Aint i suposed to talk to the local civilians?

The only options i have are arrest and search.

(Sorry for my bad english)

Edited by schaefer

I use an older version of the Foxhound. That's why I linked it in the first post (with permission from Burnes, by the way).

Not all civilians will have the option to talk to. The ones that do have a role assigned in the mouse wheel options, such as "talk to town elder" or "talk to muezzin." If a civ has Intel on them, that will always be the last option in the mouse wheel options, which means sometimes you need to scroll down in order to see it.

And also be aware some civs can have explosives on them so it's good to do a search (if you can get them to stand still. Lol. If not, feel free to "arrest" them then search them).

• Like 1

Ah,ok.

I thought there was an interact menu where you can select diferent topics when you talk to a civilian.( where you come from,do you support us..etc...)

Well there is with Spyder Addons but I don't have it in this mission.

The problem is, the most important question that reveals the insurgent HQ's is broken and has been for some time (Spyder is having problems fixing it). I have no qualms adding the feature back into the mission, but it would need to be very very clear to all players that they would have to use both the Spyder and vanilla ALiVE talk options in tandem.

What do you think? Would you be comfortable having both options available under the caveat that you would NEED to use the vanilla option to reveal insurgent HQ's? Do you think it would confuse new players?

• Like 1

Me and my comunity would have no problem using both solutions,but i could see new players being

confused when they see all these options in the actionmenu.

Edit

I would integrate the civ interaction by myself into this mission

(for our personal use only of course)but i am an german holzkopf

and i cant get it to work :huh:

Edited by schaefer

Thanks for the feedback. I actually like using both options myself, mainly because Spyder's interaction makes civs freeze in place and searching them is a breeze. Let me ask a few of my buddies what they think and I'll mull it over. Like you said, for me and you we'd know to use both but the last thing I want is to confuse people unfamiliar with ALiVE.

I should note I pushed through a very small update last night that's detailed in the changlog. I basically added map intel back and also made a few decorative objects "simple objects" to help boost performance.

Let me know how the mission goes. I'm especially looking to see if people feel it's balanced alright (too many enemies, too few enemies, etc etc). I prefer the slow-burn type of missions myself, as this is designed to take a lot of persistent hours to complete, but I'm open to all types of feedback. The best missions to me are the ones where you can go an hour or so and not take much or any contact, and then the next night maybe it's just totally nuts fire fighting.

I give you some feedback as soon as

the mission is up on our server!

From my own experience on LAN it plays very good performencewise

and also enemy pacing is good in my opinion.

Also thanks for putting out cool missions :D

• Like 1

Quality of life update. Highlights include: All helicopter callsigns have been redone to make keeping track of who is who easier, additional manned checkpoints near some 3CB bases, a higher priority being placed on enemy static weapons (enemies should man these more frequently), and further decoration with the Taliban flag at insurgent compounds. Full changelog in the first post.

• Like 1

Major update: Upon request, Burnes Foxhound has been replaced with the most current Burnes Ocelot Foxhound 2.1, HV_Taliban has been updated (both downloads in the first post), and Zeus Game Master has been added for admins. In order for the new download link for the mission to work, the old Foxhound needs to be removed from your mod line and replaced with the new link, and HV_Taliban needs to be redownloaded.

Full changelong inbound.

I hope for this to be the last update that would require a persistent restart. The mission will be continued to be supported. Any requests are welcome.

• Like 1

Thank you for keeping on improving an already great mission even further. Like many others you made, this fine piece of work has been a major source of inspiration for my own mission making!

• Like 1

Thank you for keeping on improving an already great mission even further. Like many others you made, this fine piece of work has been a major source of inspiration for my own mission making!

Thanks man!

Hey, if you're using HV_Taliban in your own missions, my update to the faction above won't work in those missions unless you edit your mission.sqm. I wrote how on ALiVE forums but shoot me a message if it's not clear and I'll edit your mission.sqm (or write you a more detailed post) for you.

@HeroesandvillainsOS: maybe a more detailed post here might be helpful for all those users of your HV_Taliban faction who have their own persistent missions going. 

I had a blast this weekend with them as opponents in an asymetric mission on that cool FATA map you recommended to me with your mission; I'm pitting them against my ORBAT Bundeswehr German Army faction; absolute gamer heaven this weekend!!! 

I got my rented dedi server working, and the WarRoom savegame/persistence status is so cool that I want continue from there - so deffo interested in that advice with the updating of the mission.sqm. But I'll check in the ALiVE forums and see if I get it done with the info you provide there; if it doesn't work out for me I'll call out for help...

• Like 1

Oh haha nice that sounds cool. :)

So basically, it's pretty simple. Make sure your mission.sqm is unbinarized. If you don't know how to do that, open it in the editor with the OLD HV_Taliban loaded. Click save as and at the bottom you'll see a check box that says binarize mission (or something like that). Anyway, make sure it's not checked and click save.

Then open your mission.sqm file in a program like notepad. Inside you'll see a section at the very top that says binarized addons. It'll look something like this:

{     
     "a3_blah_blah"    
     "a3_blah_blah"    
     "ALIVE_blah_blah"
};
Delete the whole section, leaving just the:

{
};
Then save the mission.sqm

Load the mission in the editor with the NEW HV_Taliban. Place any object down, then delete it. Save the mission. Done.

If that's not clear let me know.

Amazing mission for sure. Thxs Heroes for ur amazing effort. It has paid off for sure. Ill be playing this again soon.

Take care my friend

• Like 1

Amazing mission for sure. Thxs Heroes for ur amazing effort. It has paid off for sure. Ill be playing this again soon.

Take care my friend

Good to hear from you Riksen! It's been awhile!

I hope all is well and thanks for the kind words. :)

Minor update. Even though a lot of items have been classified as "simple" in the editor for performance purposes already, with this update I went through every single object in the mission one by one and made it "simple" if it was intended to be decorative and non-interactive.