TeTeT

Preview release: Mobile Aircraft Arresting System (MAAS)

This is a preview release of the Mobile Aircraft Arresting System (MAAS). It is not finished yet and the releases primary intent is to find bugs and general problems with the system and the documentation. The MAAS has been created by TheSn4k3 and TeTeT.

The MAAS helps to bring a landing plane to a full stop by using the planes tailhook and a wire between two trailers. It is often used by expeditionary forces on make shift landing strips.

The system is currently abstracted in Arma 3. A single trailer is sufficient to deploy a complete system consisting of two trailers and the wire. The trailer can be sling loaded by a helicopter for remote deployments. The trailer does not move by itself.

CBA is a hard requirement of the mod.

Mirrors

Being setup

Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1130385734

Armaholic: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=33242

PWS: http://withsix.com/p/Arma-3/mods/NeKhfgiZJE2QrnDL8CDk_w/MAAS

Arma 3 base: tba

Within the download a docs directory contains three files, describing basic operations, known issues and a todo list:

README for the Mobile Aircraft Arresting System (MAAS)

The system uses keyboard shortcuts to operate, not menu actions.

A player that is close to a MAAS trailer can deploy or pack it with Shift-M.
A pilot can utilize the MAAS via Ctrl-Shift-M to deploy a virtual or actual tailhook.
Once hooked to the wire, a pilot needs to use Ctrl-Shift-M to raise the tailhook and become ungrappled.

The keybindings are maintained by CBA and can be changed.

The MAAS can be deployed as slingload of a helicopter.

The wire model suppports three animations:
    ani_cable1_wide
    ani_cable1_long
    ani_cable1_high

The trailer supports five animations:
    body_source
    rearPlates_source
    switchA_source - graphical problems
    switchB_source - graphical problems
    switchC_source - graphical problems

Known Issues of the Mobile Aircraft Arresting System (MAAS)

o It can be packed up while a plane is held by the wire
o When deploying one MAAS trailer will actually spawn two trailers and a wire, for sake of playability
o Multiple MAAS deployments have not been tested and will most likely not work or spam the system with scripts
o Multiplayer and compatibility with dedicated servers has not been tested
o No engine sound
o Deployment animation is crude, especially the rear plates
o Icon needs to be replaced
o Artefact at the rear on the ground

TODO for the Mobile Aircraft Arresting System (MAAS)

o Animate the instrument panel
o Create a realistic mode with two trailers and a rolled up wire, supported through some logistic mod
o Replace wire with better looking model
o Support multiple MAAS deployments on map
o Add engine sound, probably make the trailer a carX
o Add deployment sound
o Replace setVelocity with addForce in ttt_maas_fnc_useWire
o Evaluate using tailhook up animation for stopping to brake the plane

Old content:

A mobile aircraft arresting system, or MAAS for short, is a system that helps to bring a landing plane to a full stop. It is composed of two trailers and a set of arresting wires. The wires are tightened between the trailers. A plane's tailhook can catch the wire and the braking system of the MAAS will slow down the plane rapidly.

In Arma 3 the system is currently static, it needs to be deployed on the runway from the editor. It can help landing on very short runways or alternative runways.

The aircraft currently needs to be equipped with a tailhook and have a like named animation and memory point. With the extended tailhook the braking system will be started when a wire is caught by the tailhook. The plane will come to a stop within a few dozen meters.

Vendor link for reference of the real system: http://www.scama.se/arresting-systems/aircraft/mobile-systems/

Some screenshots from testing the script with Huron containers instead of a MAAS trailer. Keep in mind that the final system will have just one wire, the four wire setup is legacy from the Nimitz :)

Old Screenshots from the very first prototype:

20161005234424_1.jpg

20161005234436_1.jpg

20161005234554_1.jpg

20161005234619_1.jpg

20161005234704_1.jpg

Edited by TeTeT
add armaholic mirror
  • Like 18

I wonder how  tailhook withstand such a load, and does not break

I wonder how  tailhook withstand such a load, and does not break

Isn't it the same as on any aircraft carriers? It does work on them so why wouldn't this work?

I think he is just commenting in general. It is amazing that the small bar that is the tail hook can take the force of stopping these planes without breaking regardless of the system stopping it. At least that's how I read it

• Like 1

I didn't even know this system existed and had to google it! Great initiative bringing it into the game.

I'm surprised something like this could be anchored well enough to prevent it from being pulled along with the aircraft!!

Nice mod!

Great mod. 

Most military airfields have some sort of arresting solution, or the means to deploy one.  I'm surprised more people don't understand this.  The F16 has retained that tail hook for a reason!  :)

• Like 3

I didn't even know this system existed and had to google it! Great initiative bringing it into the game.

An armaholic user, Blakeman, notified me of this system some while ago and sent some pictures of it. Unfortunately I'm out of touch with him.

With the Nimitz 0.95 final release being around, I didn't have the time to get to the MAAS earlier.

• Like 1

Great stuff. Arma's aviation section get's better and better :)

Great stuff. Arma's aviation section get's better and better :)

The only thing we now need is bigger terrains ;)

• Like 1

Some USAF planes have barrier end approach capabilities for emergencies like hydraulic failures that would affect flaps amd brakes. It's a one and done type of deal from what I understand, and that might be because you are using it in an emergency to begin with.

The tail hook on planes like the F-15 is not designed to be used over and over again in a carrier environment, and neither is the landing gear for the matter. For example, the F/A-18's main gear is designed to support the weight of the plane at a rate of decent of 40ft per second - I do not recall if that meant full fuel or fully loaded, but still impressive. The USAF fighters would have no need for that kind of rugged capabilities because they only operate from prepared runways and would have the luxury of a flare to soften the touchdown and a long roll out vs a carrier style "controlled crash".

I can actually see this as being useful for training being able to practice carrier landings before loading in the Nimitz. At the very least it should cut down on time spent staring at the load screen every time you come in too low.

• Like 1

Here is a quick snapshot I took today while checking the model in game. I still have a lot of work to do on it, so what you are looking at is a huge WIP though Tetet said he loves the color :D. Were making some great progress with this so far. So far, you will have a HEMTT box truck that is designated as the MAAS carrier. Once in position, you will have the option to deploy the MAAS. It is very easy to use and move. Hopefully this will give some really cool features to the community with emergency landings and highway/FOB style airfeilds. 

gTPCrYx.jpg

• Like 5

Here is a quick snapshot I took today while checking the model in game. I still have a lot of work to do on it, so what you are looking at is a huge WIP though Tetet said he loves the color :D. Were making some great progress with this so far. So far, you will have a HEMTT box truck that is designated as the MAAS carrier. Once in position, you will have the option to deploy the MAAS. It is very easy to use and move. Hopefully this will give some really cool features to the community with emergency landings and highway/FOB style airfeilds. 

gTPCrYx.jpg

I like the color aswell ;) 

Seriously tough - Cant wait, gonna be amazing ! :P

This is one of those mods that adds more than a feature to the game, it gives the unit that is using it an actual new capabilityakin to something like SPIE rigging. You simply can't (or shouldn't be able to) land on tiny runways or roads without this, but now you can operate fixed wing aircraft on nearly every map, including those without an actual airstrip.

Keep up the awesome work!

• Like 2

looks like I will have to fit some more of my aircraft with hooks now : )

nice!

• Like 1

Work has been resumed on this mod. TheSn4k3 has created a nice model and is currently improving the textures. I've added some scripts for deploying and packing the MAAS, as well as animations, and slowing down aircraft that catch the wire. For now we will use CBA and a hotkey system of 'shift-m' for deploying and packing the MAAS, as well as 'ctrl-shift-m' for preparing the tailhook and wire.

Nevertheless all of this has to be tested and finished, so don't expect any sudden release.

• Like 2

Sounds good mate, be interesting to use with the upcoming DLC

Just gonna leave this here for those interested.

• Like 1

Current WIP pics. TeTeT is doing amazing work with the scripts to make this easy to use and compatible with pretty much anything. I am still working on the textures for the model so this is an early look at the project.

e4sNjDQ.jpg

qGLctp5.jpg

OBsL7DO.jpg

OP4UOfQ.jpg

HU04oE8.jpg

• Like 7

This is a preview release of the Mobile Aircraft Arresting System (MAAS). It is not finished yet and the releases primary intent is to find bugs and general problems with the system and the documentation. The MAAS has been created by TheSn4k3 and TeTeT.

The MAAS helps to bring a landing plane to a full stop by using the planes tailhook and a wire between two trailers. It is often used by expeditionary forces on make shift landing strips.

The system is currently abstracted in Arma 3. A single trailer is sufficient to deploy a complete system consisting of two trailers and the wire. The trailer can be sling loaded by a helicopter for remote deployments. The trailer does not move by itself.

CBA is a hard requirement of the mod.

Mirrors

Being setup

Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1130385734

Armaholic: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=33242

PWS: http://withsix.com/p/Arma-3/mods/NeKhfgiZJE2QrnDL8CDk_w/MAAS

Arma 3 base: tba

Within the download a docs directory contains three files, describing basic operations, known issues and a todo list:

README for the Mobile Aircraft Arresting System (MAAS)

The system uses keyboard shortcuts to operate, not menu actions.

A player that is close to a MAAS trailer can deploy or pack it with Shift-M.
A pilot can utilize the MAAS via Ctrl-Shift-M to deploy a virtual or actual tailhook.
Once hooked to the wire, a pilot needs to use Ctrl-Shift-M to raise the tailhook and become ungrappled.

The keybindings are maintained by CBA and can be changed.

The MAAS can be deployed as slingload of a helicopter.

The wire model suppports three animations:
    ani_cable1_wide
    ani_cable1_long
    ani_cable1_high

The trailer supports five animations:
    body_source
    rearPlates_source
    switchA_source - graphical problems
    switchB_source - graphical problems
    switchC_source - graphical problems

Known Issues of the Mobile Aircraft Arresting System (MAAS)

o It can be packed up while a plane is held by the wire
o When deploying one MAAS trailer will actually spawn two trailers and a wire, for sake of playability
o Multiple MAAS deployments have not been tested and will most likely not work or spam the system with scripts
o Multiplayer and compatibility with dedicated servers has not been tested
o No engine sound
o Deployment animation is crude, especially the rear plates
o Icon needs to be replaced
o Artefact at the rear on the ground

TODO for the Mobile Aircraft Arresting System (MAAS)

o Animate the instrument panel
o Create a realistic mode with two trailers and a rolled up wire, supported through some logistic mod
o Replace wire with better looking model
o Support multiple MAAS deployments on map
o Add engine sound, probably make the trailer a carX
o Add deployment sound
o Replace setVelocity with addForce in ttt_maas_fnc_useWire
o Evaluate using tailhook up animation for stopping to brake the plane

Edited by TeTeT
add armaholic mirror
  • Like 2

Mirrors are a bit delayed, mean time a video on how to use it:

New mod v0.1 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

Hey , you can upload updates or new mods to withSIX yourself now!
Make your own promo page, get the power to release your work at your own point of choosing.
To learn more, follow this guide.

Hello,

re-visited this old mod and added some animations to the gauges and hopefully improved usability. I'm looking for a tester or two before I update the steam workshop and armaholic mirror. You can download the updated version from https://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/maas/ttt_maas.pbo and https://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/maas/ttt_maas.pbo.TeTeT.bisign . Test mission is available from https://tetet.de/arma/arma3/nimitz/experimental/maas/maasTestF181.stratis.7z

Cheers,
TeTeT

• Like 2