Sign in to follow this  
lordfrith

steam workshop license

Hi Folks

someone posted this on the comments thread of my steam workshop upload

'tell me when i can tkae the pbo and install it into my mod pack and give proper sourcing. and techniqually you cant license it unless you place it under armaholic. placing any mod on steam workshop makes it the expressed property of arma. and that license arma uses says anyone can take and repack any mods with ot without consent. IT IS Fucked up. but the second the creator places it on steam it is no longer his/ hers. and fuck having 70 mod dependencies.'

any comment on this? other than flaming workshop? ;)

i've had a wee look through steam eula and can't find this, can somebody point me to the relevent section if it exists (legal documents make my eyes water)

A link would be great (to his comment). As far as to what happens to uploaded content to the Steam Workshop, this is the sentence you're looking for.

"When you upload your content to Steam to make it available to other users and/or to Valve, you grant Valve and its affiliates the worldwide, non-exclusive, right to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, transcode, translate, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and publicly perform, your User Generated Content, and derivative works of your User Generated Content, in connection with the operation, distribution and promotion of the Steam service, Steam games or other Steam offerings."

This person is an asshole. Just track his workshop items or community server and make it shutdown if he's using your content without your permission (= repacking from workshop).

I published my addon on Workshop, and so far I had a lot of nice people asking for permission (wich I almost gave to everyone asking for it).

Haven't found yet someone using my work without my approval, but I'll have no regret blasting it.

• Like 3

That guys obviously didn't understand a single thing on licensing...

That's driving me crazy, how people can believe that "arma says anyone can take and repack any mods with ot without consent"?

Gaaah!

• Like 4

read the damn steam agreement:

6D. Representations and Warranties

You represent and warrant to us that you have sufficient rights in all User Generated Content to grant Valve and other affected parties the licenses described under A. and B. above or in any license terms specific to the applicable Workshop-Enabled App or Workshop page. This includes, without limitation, any kind of intellectual property rights or other proprietary or personal rights affected by or included in the User Generated Content. In particular, with respect to Workshop Contributions, you represent and warrant that the Workshop Contribution was originally created by you (or, with respect to a Workshop Contribution to which others contributed besides you, by you and the other contributors, and in such case that you have the right to submit such Workshop Contribution on behalf of those other contributors).

• Like 2

A link would be great (to his comment). As far as to what happens to uploaded content to the Steam Workshop, this is the sentence you're looking for.

"When you upload your content to Steam to make it available to other users and/or to Valve, you grant Valve and its affiliates the worldwide, non-exclusive, right to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, transcode, translate, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and publicly perform, your User Generated Content, and derivative works of your User Generated Content, in connection with the operation, distribution and promotion of the Steam service, Steam games or other Steam offerings."

that was the bit i was reading... unless he is 'valve or its affiliates' he doesn't get squat here, those powers are only granted so steam can actually upload your mod anyway so ....

that was the full comment minus 'i like it' at the start which i excluded for reasons of traditional British self effacement. Didn't really want to name him but my workshop page is here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=766707192&searchtext=

This person is an asshole.

that had crossed my mind ;) most people have been more polite than that

That guys obviously didn't understand a single thing on licensing...

That's driving me crazy, how people can believe that "arma says anyone can take and repack any mods with ot without consent"?

Gaaah!

yeah that was the strangest sentence for sure, are the licenses BI suggests for user content invalidated by uploading on steam?

thanks for the help folks